Search billions of records on

27th Iowa Top Banner


Company D

Record of Events

Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Part II, Vol. 20, PP 603-637. Edited by Janet B. Hewett. Assistant Editors Joycelyn Pinson and Julia H. Nichols. Broadfoot Publishing Company, Wilington, NC, 1995. Record of Events for Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry, October 1862-June 1865.

The companies kept records of activities, including how far they traveled (and by what method i.e. marched, by train, by steamer). Some Companies kept more extensive Records of Events than others. Even though there is very little mention of specific soldiers, it gives you a pretty good idea of what they were doing during a specific time period.

To see a record of events associated with a particular company, click on the company letter above. NOTE: be sure to also check out the Record of Events for the Staff and the Regiment. It gives pretty extensive information about the 27th Iowa in general.

October 3, 1862-February 28, 1863 -- Stationed at Jackson, Tennessee.

March-April 1863 -- Stationed at Corinth, Mississippi.

  • April 20, 1863 -- Company D Left Jackson, Tennessee for Corinth (by railroad).

May-June 1863 -- Stationed at Moscow, Tennessee.

  • May 1, 1863 -- Company D had to guard a provision train to Burnsville, Mississippi and returned May 2 at Corinth, Mississippi, on which day the company left the port and stopped in the woods near Corinth.
  • May 3, 1863 -- Left Corinth on the cars for Jackson, Tennessee.
  • May 6, 1863 -- The company left Jackson for Harrison Trestle on Mobile and Ohio Railroad to guard the railroad eight miles below Jackson.
  • May 31, 1863 -- The company left the railroad station at 9 o'clock a.m. for Jackson.
  • June 5, 1863 -- The company left camp near Jackson for La Grange by cars.
  • June 6, 1863 -- The company marched with the balance of the regiment to Moscow, Tennessee (ten miles). The account of clothing has not been settled since organization of the regiment.

July-August 1863 -- Stationed at Clarendon, Arkansas.

  • August 20, 1863 -- The regiment marched from Moscow (left the camp at 4 o'clock a.m.) and arrived at Memphis, August 22 at 9 o'clock a.m. Distance from Moscow to Memphis, forty miles.
  • August 24, 1863 -- The regiment left Memphis per steamboat and arrived in the evening at Helena. Distance from Memphis to Helena, ninety miles.
  • August 28-30, 1863 -- The regiment left Helena and marched to Clarendon on the White River, where it arrived August 30, 1863 at 12 o'clock m. Distance from Helena to Clarendon, sixty miles.

September-October 1863 -- Stationed at Little Rock, Arkansas.

  • September 1-2, 1863 -- The company left Clarendon on the White River and marched to Brownsville September 2, 1863, where we arrived at 5 o'clock p.m. Distance from Clarendon to Brownsville, forty-five miles.
  • September 8-9, 1863 -- The company marched until 9:30 o'clock p.m. (from Brownsville) to Little Rock September 9, 1863.
  • September 10, 1863 -- The company marched at 9 o'clock a.m. until sunset, when they arrived at Little Rock, which place was taken on this date by Major-General F. Steele.
  • The company was exposed to the fire but was not engaged in the action itself. Distance from Brownsville to Little Rock, twenty-five miles.

November-December 1863 -- Stationed at Memphis, Tennessee.

  • November 15-16, 1863 -- The company left Little Rock by railroad for Devall's Bluff, where it arrived November 16, 1863 at 3 o'clock a.m. Distance, forty miles. The company left Devall's Bluff for Memphis per steamboat.
  • November 20, 1863 -- It arrived in Memphis.
  • December 27, 1863 -- Sergeant George E. Lang, in command of five men of Company D and five men of the Forty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was detailed as guard to the railroad train. They were attacked at Fayette, Tennessee by a large number of the enemy by a well-directed fire. They succeeded in keeping the enemy off and saved the train from falling into the enemy's hands.

January-February 1864 -- Stationed at Canton, Mississippi.

  • January 27, 1864 -- Embarked at Memphis on board of the transport steamer Des Moines.
  • January 30, 1864. Arrived at Vicksburg.
  • February 3-14, 1864 -- Left Vicksburg on an expedition by the way of Jackson, Hillsborough and Decatur to Meridian, where we arrived on February 14, 1864.
  • February 20-26, 1864 -- Returned from Meridian by way of Hillsborough and arrived at Canton, Mississippi February 26, 1864.

March - April 1865 -- Stationed at Alexandria, Louisiana.

  • March 1, 1864 -- Left Canton and marched by the way of Brownsville to the rear of Vicksburg.
  • March 10, 1864 -- Left Vicksburg on steamer Diadem with the Red River expedition.
  • March 11, 1864 -- Arrived at the mouth of the Red River and passed into the Atchafalaya River and tied up at Simsport.
  • March 13, 1864 -- Left the boat at 6 o'clock p.m. and marched till 12 o'clock. p.m.
  • March 14, 1864 -- Left camp 5 o'clock a.m.; marched in northwestern direction by the way of Mansura, Chicotville, and Marksville. Arrived at and attacked Fort De Russy on Red River at 4 o'clock p.m. Fort surrendered at -- o'clock p.m. Marched back to the camp. Distance of thirty miles marched this day.
  • March 15, 1864. Embarked and steamed up to Alexandria.
  • March 27 - April 3, 1864 -- Left camp for Grand Ecore, Red River, where we arrived April 3.
  • April 7-8,1864 -- Left Grand Ecore for Pleasant Hill; arrived there April 8, 1864.
  • April 9, 1864 -- Went into battle.
  • April 12, 1864 -- Arrived back at Grand Ecore.
  • April 20-16, 1864 -- Left Grand Ecore for Alexandria, where we arrived April 26, 1864.

May - June 1864 -- Stationed at La Grange, Tennessee.

  • May 18 and June 6, 1864 -- Since last muster the company has been engaged in the battles of Simsport, Louisiana, May 18, 1864 and Ditch Bayou on June 6, 1864.
  • Have marched from Alexandria on Red River, Louisiana to Simsport on the Atchafalaya River, Louisiana. Moved from there by transports to Memphis, Tennessee and from Memphis to Moscow by Memphis and Charleston Railroad.
  • June 26, 1864 -- Marched from Moscow to La Grange.

July - August 1864 -- Stationed at Memphis, Tennessee.

  • July 5 - 11, 1864 -- Left La Grange, Tennessee with Major-General A.S. Smith's expedition by the way of Ripley, Mississippi and arrived at Pontotoc, Mississippi July 11, 1864.
  • July 12, 1864 -- Marched to Tupelo, Mississippi.
  • July 14, 1864 -- Was attacked by the enemy in force. The engagement lasted three hours.
  • July 18, 1864 -- Started for La Grange. Was attacked by the enemy in the evening. Had two men in the company wounded.
  • July 23, 1864 -- Arrived at Memphis, Tennessee with the First and Third Divisions of the Sixteenth Army Corps. Arrived at Holly Springs the same day.
  • August 17 - 30, 1864 -- Camped at this place until August 17, 1864, at which time we left with the Army and went south as far as Oxford, Mississippi. From here turned back and arrived at Memphis, Tennessee on August 30, 1864.

September - October, 1864 -- Stationed at Pleasant Hill, Missouri.

  • September 4, 1864 -- The company, with the regiment, left Memphis, Tennessee per steamboat and proceeded up the Mississippi River to Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. The company left this place by railroad and proceeded to Mineral Point.
  • September 28, 1864 -- Started on an expedition.
  • October 2, 1864 -- Marched across the state of Missouri from east to west by way of Jefferson City, Lexington and Independence, from where we marched to Harrisonville and then to Pleasant Hill, Missouri, where we mustered. Distance marched from October 2, 1864 to October 31, 1864, 410 miles.

Stationed in the field, November - December 1864.

  • November 1 - 5, 1864 -- The company marched from near Pleasant Hill, Missouri to Lexington, Missouri, from where the command marched November 5, 1864 to Glasgow, Missouri. Here we crossed the Missouri River on November 5, 1864.
  • November 7 - 11, 1864 -- Proceeded to [Fayettte], Missouri. Rested there during November 8, 1864 and marched then by the way of Rocheport, Columbia, High Hill, Warrenton and Saint Charles to Saint Louis, Missouri, where we arrived November 11, 1864. Distance marched from November 1 to November 18, 1864, 300 miles.
  • November 25 - December 1, 1864 -- The company and regiment went on board the transport Silver Lake and proceeded by the way of Cairo, Illinois up the Cumberland River to Nashville, Tennessee, where we arrived December 1, 1864. There the entire command went into position and built breastworks.
  • December 15, 1864 -- In the morning of December 15, 1864, we left our fortifications and attacked Confederate forces under Hood.
  • December 16, 1864 -- Having been unsuccessful on December 15, 1864, we renewed the battle and another victory crowned our arms. While charging and carrying the breastworks of the enemy the company had four men wounded; two corporals and two privates.
  • December 17, 1864 -- We pursued the Rebel Army, following the same on the Franklin Pike running straight north of Nashville,. We marched by the way of Franklin, Columbia, Pulaski, and Lawrenceburg, near which place we were mustered for pay. Distance marched from December 15, 1864 to December 31, 1864 about 110 miles.

January - February 1865 -- Stationed near New Orleans, Louisiana.

  • January 1-2, 1865 -- The company marched with the division from Lawrenceburg, Tennessee to Clifton, Tennessee on the Tennessee River, where we arrived January 2, 1865. Distance marched about thirty miles.
  • January 4 - 7, 1865 -- We embarked on steamer Havana and proceeded up the river to Eastport, Mississippi, where we arrived January 7, 1865. Disembarked and went into winter quarters on January 7, 1865.
  • January 9, 1865 -- We marched from Eastport to Iuka, Mississippi and returned the same date. Distance, sixteen miles.
  • February 9-14, 1865 -- The command embarked on the morning of February 9, 1865 and proceeded down the river by the way of Paducah to Cairo, down the Mississippi River, via Memphis to Vicksburg, Mississippi, where we arrived on February 14, 1865. Disembarked and went into camp four miles in the rear of Vicksburg.
  • February 19, 1865 -- We embarked on the steamer Tarascon.
  • February 20 - 21, 1865 -- Left Vicksburg and proceeded to New Orleans, Louisiana, where we arrived on February 21, 1865. We disembarked the same date and went into camp near New Orleans, Louisiana, where we mustered.

March - April, 1865 -- Stationed near Montgomery, Alabama.

  • March 8-9, 1865 -- The company embarked at New Orleans, Louisiana and proceeded down the Mississippi River into the Gulf of Mexico and landed at Dauphin Island, Alabama on March 9, 1865.
  • March 21, 1865 -- We embarked and proceeded per steamer up Fish River about ten miles. Disembarked there and went into camp on its right shore.
  • March 25 - April 9, 1865 -- The command marched in a northeastern direction toward Blakely, Alabama (distance twenty-five miles) and sieged that place six days and took it finally by a charge on April 9, 1865. The company was engaged. Lost no man.
  • April 13 - 27, 1865 -- Left Blakely, Alabama and marched to Montgomery, Alabama, where we arrived on April 27, 1865, distance about 160 miles, at which place we mustered.

May - June 1865 -- Stationed near Montgomery, Alabama.

  • No changes since last muster.