Record of Events
Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Part II, Vol. 20,
PP 603-637. Edited by Janet B. Hewett. Assistant Editors Joycelyn Pinson and
Julia H. Nichols. Broadfoot Publishing Company, Wilington, NC, 1995.
Record of Events for Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry, October 1862-June 1865.
The companies kept records of activities, including how far
they traveled (and by what method i.e. marched, by train, by steamer). Some
Companies kept more extensive Records of Events than others. Even though there
is very little mention of specific soldiers, it gives you a pretty good idea of what
they were doing during a specific time period.
To see a record of events associated with a particular company,
click on the company letter above. NOTE: be sure to also check out the Record of Events
for the Staff and the Regiment. It gives pretty extensive information about the 27th
Iowa in general.
October 3, 1862 - April 15, 1863 -- Stationed at Jackson, Tennessee
March - April 1863 -- Stationed at Corinth, Mississippi
May - June, 1863 -- Station not stated.
July - August, 1863 - Stationed at Clarendon, Arkansas
September - October, 1863 -- Stationed at Little Rock, Arkansas
November - December, 1863 -- Stationed at Memphis, Tennessee
- November 1, 1863 -- The company moved with the regiment from
Little Rock, Arkansas to Devall's Bluff by rail; thence down White River and
up the Mississippi on board transports.
- November 20, 1863 -- Arrived at Memphis, Tennessee. Since
then have been doing picket duty on the east side of Memphis, where the regiment
is now encamped.
January - February 1864 -- Stationed at Canton, Mississippi
March - April 1864 -- Stationed at Alexandria, Louisiana
May - June, 1864 -- Stationed at [illegible], Tennessee
July - August, 1864 -- Stationed at Memphis, Tennessee
- [For Record of Events, see Company D.]
September - October, 1864 -- Stationed at Pleasant Hill, Missouri
- The company was with the regiment.
- September 4, 1864 -- Took steamboat at Memphis,
Tennessee. Passed up the Mississippi River to Cairo, Illinois, from thence
to Jefferson Barracks, Missouri.
- September 25-28,1864 -- Passed down Iron Mountain
Railroad to Mineral Point and back to Jefferson Barracks on September 28.
- October 2, 1864 -- Started on an expedition after Price.
Marched across the State via Jefferson City. Struck the Kansas line at
Little Santa Fe. We then struck south for Harrisonville, Missouri.
Were unable to overtake the enemy.
- October 30-31, 1864-- We then marched north to Pleasant
Hill, Missouri. Arrived on October 30. Mustered on October 31, 1864.
November - December, 1864 -- Stationed at in the field.
January - February 1865 -- Stationed at Chalmette, Louisiana
- December 31, 1864 - January 8, 1865 -- The company with the
regiment, mustered while on the march from Nashville, Tennessee to Eastport,
Mississippi, where we went into winter quarters January 8.
- February 8, 1865 -- We left Eastport, Mississippi in
transports. Came to New Orleans, Louisiana via Tennessee, Ohio and
Mississippi Rivers, stopping at Vicksburg, Mississippi three days.
- February 21, 1865 -- Went into camp at Chalmette, seven
miles below New Orleans, Louisiana.
March - April 1865 -- Stationed near Montgomery, Alabama.
- March 6-7, 1865 -- This company, with the regiment to which it
belongs, left Chalmette, Louisiana, place of last muster by steamship via
the gulf to Dauphin Island, Alabama. Arrived on March 7.
- March 20, 1865 -- Left Dauphin Island for a forward movement on
- April 9, 1865 -- Captured Fort Blakely, Alabama.
- April 13-21, 1865 -- Left Blakely and marched to
Montgomery via Greenville. Arrived here on April 21, 1865.
May - June, 1865 -- Stationed at Montgomery, Alabama.
- Mustered in camp near Montgomery, Alabama. Have remained in
camp until the present muster.