Search billions of records on

27th Iowa Top Banner


Company A

Record of Events

Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Part II, Vol. 20, PP 603-637. Edited by Janet B. Hewett. Assistant Editors Joycelyn Pinson and Julia H. Nichols. Broadfoot Publishing Company, Wilington, NC, 1995. Record of Events for Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry, October 1862-June 1865.

The companies kept records of activities, including how far they traveled (and by what method i.e. marched, by train, by steamer). Some Companies kept more extensive Records of Events than others. Even though there is very little mention of specific soldiers, it gives you a pretty good idea of what they were doing during a specific time period.

To see a record of events associated with a particular company, click on the company letter above. NOTE: be sure to also check out the Record of Events for the Staff and the Regiment. It gives pretty extensive information about the 27th Iowa in general.

October 3 - December 31, 1862 -- Stationed at Jackson, Tennessee

October, 1862 -- Stationed at Anoka, Minnesota, except Companies D, H, I and K on steamer Northerner, Mississippi

Companies A, B, C, E, F and G. Moved to Mille Lac's, Minn., October 17, thence moved to Cairo, Ill., Nov. 4. Companies D, H, I, and K at Fort Snelling, Minn., till November 1. Moved to Cairo, Ill., November 1
This company (Co. E) has been in no action since last mustered on October 3, 1862. It has been transported to Saint Paul, Minnesota. Marched thence to Mille Lacs and back 250 miles. Was transported by boats to Prairie du Chien; thence by railroad via Chicago to Cairo, Illinois; thence by steamer to Memphis. Was then brigaded under Major-General Sherman and marched south with his division until it was broken up. It performed guard duty on the Mississippi Central Railroad until December 30. Was then transported by rail to this station and this company has the usual discipline of volunteers. I hereby certify that on October 31, the Twenty-seventh Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry was on the march in Minnesota. That they were in the woods beyond the limits of civilization; that we had with us no blank muster rolls and did not muster for pay on that day and that we were mustered into the United States service as a regiment by Captain George S. Pierce, on October 3, 1862 and were not mustered again until December 31, 1862. I ask that the men be paid on the rolls of December 31, 1862 from date of enlistment unto that date. (Co. I)
October 10 -13, 1862 -- Received marching orders for Saint Paul, Minnesota. Arrived there on October 13, 1962.
October 15, 1862 -- Left by orders of Major-General [John] Pope for Mille Lacks, Minnesota to attend the regiment of the Chippewa Indians. October 15.
October 26-November 3, 1862 -- Left Mille Lacks for Fort Snelling. Arrived there November 3, 1862..

November 1862 -- Stationed at Chulahoma, Mississippi

November 8-13, 1862 -- Received orders to go to Cairo, Illinois. Arrived there by November 13 by railroad from Prairie du Chien.

November 20-22, 1862-- Left for Memphis. Arrived there November 22.
December 1862 - January 1863 -- Stationed at Jackson, Tennessee

    December 13, 1862 -- Started from Memphis in General [Jacob Gartner] Lauman's Division, General Sherman's Corps d'Armie.

    December 14, 1862 -- Received orders at Hurricane Creek to report to Colonel [John] Van Deusen' Du Bois, commanding, at Waterford, Mississippi. Was sent to the Tallahatchie to guard railroad bridges.

    December 21, 1862 -- Left there for Holly Springs.

    December 24, 1862 -- Started from Holly Springs for camp near the Tallahatchie.

February 1863 -- Station not stated.

March - April 1863 -- Stationed at Jackson, Tennessee

May 1863 -- Station not stated

June - July 1863 -- Stationed at Moscow, Tennessee

August 1863 -- Stationed at Clarendon, Arkansas

September - October, 1863 -- Stationed at Little Rock, Arkansas

    Itinerary of brigade commanded by Col. James M. True, Sept. 1-10 (True's Brigade) *

    September 1, 1863 -- Left Clarendon, Ark.

    September 2, 1863 -- Reached Brownsville, AR. (38 miles) joining the forces under Major-General Steele.

    September 8, 1863 -- Marched toward Little Rock.

    September 9, 1863 -- Remained in camp at Ashley's Mills

    September 10, 1863 -- Took the advance of the force on the north bank of the river, moving on Little Rock. During the afternoon, Battery A, Third Illinois Light Artillery (Vaughn's ), afforded material aid to our force on the opposite bank, who were constantly opposed by the enemy. Several hundred rounds were fired, mostly at long range, but with marked good effect. The brigade was in range and exposed to the fire of the enemy's artillery for some time, but sustained no loss therefrom. Two men of Battery A were dangerously wounded by a premature explosion of a howitzer shell from a batter in action near by. The brigade arrived opposite Little Rock at sunset.

    * From "Remarks and Record of Events" return of First Brigade, Kimball's division, Army of Arkansas, for September 30, 1863.

November - December 1863 -- Stationed at Memphis, Tennessee
    November 16, 1863 -- The company left Little Rock and traveled by railroad to Devall's Bluff, then via White and Mississippi Rivers to Memphis.

    November 26, 1863 -- The company arrived at Memphis.

January 1864 -- Stationed at Vicksburg, Mississippi

February 1864 -- Stationed in the field near Canton Mississippi

    The companies were ordered to leave their records at Memphis, Tennessee, so that it is impossible to make out the account of absentees by name with nature, place, etc. of absence, and have it correct.
March 1864 -- Stationed on board transport Diadem, Red River expedition.
    March 10.--The brigade left Vicksburg as part of the Red River expedition, under command of Brig. Gen. A. J. Smith.

    March 12.--Entered the mouth of Red River.

    March 14.--Marched across from Atchafalaya River to Fort De Russy, on Red River. The brigade, being in advance of the army, attacked, and, after fighting two hours, charged upon and captured the fort with upward of 200 prisoners and 10 pieces of artillery. The distance marched from Atchafalaya to Red River was 35 miles.

    March 16.--The brigade came to Alexandria.

    March 26.--Marched to Cotile Landing, 20 miles.

April 1864 -- Stationed at Alexandria, Louisiana, except Company C on steamer Clara Belle.

    April 2.--Left Cotile Landing, on Red River, La., on board transports.

    April 3.--Reached Grand Ecore, La.; lay in camp until the 7th.

    April 7.--Moved out as part of Brigadier-General Smith's command on the Shreveport road.

    April 8.--Encamped at night near Pleasant Hill, La.

    April 9.--The brigade was ordered to report to General Banks at Pleasant Hill. By him it was ordered to the front to report to Brigadier-General Emory. General Emory ordered the brigade to relieve Brigadier-General McMillan's brigade in the extreme front. Heavy skirmishing was kept up for six hours, when the enemy appeared in force, and a severe engagement followed, in which the Second Brigade lost in killed and wounded 484 men.

    April 10.--In the morning the brigade covered the retreat of the army.

    April 11.--Reached Grand Ecore.

    April 13.--Crossed Red River, and proceeded up on the opposite side a few miles above Campti to relieve the transports, hemmed in by a force of the enemy, consisting of 1,500 men and a battery of four guns.

    April 14.--This effected, it returned to Grand Ecore, where it lay until the 20th.

    April 20.--The brigade, with the remainder of Brig. Gen. A. J. Smith's command, moved to Natchitoches, 4 miles distant, and remained there until the evening of the 21st.

    April 22.--Moved out, falling in the rear of General Banks' army.

    April 23.--The brigade was present at the engagement which took place at Cane River in the afternoon and morning of the 24th.

    April 26.--The brigade reached Alexandria.

    April 30.--The brigade is now protecting General Banks' army, whose principal business seems to be speculating in cotton and sugar. Officers and men are heartily disgusted with this kind of service, and desire to be placed where they can act with honor to themselves and be of service to their country.

    May 2.--Moved out on Natchitoches road some 4 miles to support the Thirteenth Army Corps, where it formed line and lay on arms until sunrise of the 3d.

    May 3.--Moved across the country to the Opelousas road and out on the road some 8 miles near Governor Moore's plantation, where it formed line and commenced skirmishing with the enemy, driving them back during the day some 2 ½ miles. Skirmishing continued each succeeding day until the evening of the 8th, driving the enemy 7 miles, when we were ordered back to camp at Governor Moore's plantation.

    May 9.--Were ordered some 4 miles to the rear and right to protect the approaches to Alexandria, between General Mower's forces and the Thirteenth Army Corps.

    May 13.--In the evening the brigade marched to Governor Moore's plantation, joining General Smith's forces, which marched from there on the morning of the 14th, covering the retreat of General Banks' army.

    May 15.--Arrived at Marksville at night.

    May 16.--In the morning a heavy skirmish ensued, which resulted in driving the enemy entirely from the field. Skirmishing more or less severe occurred every day of the march until the 18th, when the advanced army had reached the Atchafalaya, the rear (General Smith) having crossed and lying near Yellow Bayou. On the forenoon of that day the enemy appeared in force in our rear, and this, with two other brigades, was ordered to recross the bayou and meet him. A severe engagement ensued against numbers largely superior to our own, while the balance of our army lay quietly 3 miles distant from the action. The fight lasted until 4.30 p.m., resulting in driving the enemy and capturing nearly 300 prisoners. This brigade lost in killed and wounded 48 men.

    May 19.--The brigade lay in line of battle all day and until 2 a.m. of the 20th.

    May 14 - 21, 1864 -- Marched from Alexandria. Since last muster the company has been engaged in two battles. The first was at Old Oak, Louisiana, May 18, 1864.

    May 24, 1864 -- Came to Vicksburg on transports, arriving there May 24.

June 1864 -- Stationed at La Grange, Tennessee
    June 4, 1864 -- The regiment on its return from Red River expedition left Vicksburg for Memphis; debarked opposite and below Greenville.

    June 6, 1864 -- The regiment marched with the forces under Brigadier-General A. J. Smith into Chicot County, Arkansas. Was present at the engagement of Ditch Bayou, but sustained no loss.

    June 7, 1864 -- Returned to Mississippi River via Lake Village on Old River Lake. Embarked at Columbia, Arkansas

    June 9, 1864 - Reached Memphis.

    June 10-24, 1864 -- Arrived at Memphis; went from Memphis June 24, 1864 on cars to Moscow.

    June 24-27, 1864 -- In camp at Memphis until June 24, 1864, when the regiment moved by cars to Moscow, Tennessee, where it remained until June 27 on which day it marched to La Grange, Tennessee.

August 18, 1864 -- Stationed at Memphis, Tennessee
    August 4-17, 1864 -- The regiment moved by cars to Holly Springs, where we marched to Waterford, Mississippi

    August 18, 1864 -- Moved thence to Tallahatchie

    August 21, 1864 -- Marched with the Army under Major-General A. J. Smith

    August 22-23, 1864 -- Reached Oxford, when the Army retreated, arriving at the Tallahatchie August 23.

    August 26-30, 1864 -- [Reached] Holly Springs and Memphis August 30, 1864.

September, 1864 -- Stationed at Jefferson barracks, Missouri
    September 5-7, 1864 -- The regiment left Memphis by steamer Belle Memphis for Cairo, Illinois, where it arrived on September 7, 1864

    September 14, 1864 -- Left Cairo by steamer Sioux City for Sulphur Springs, Missouri, arriving at Sulphur Springs on September 16, 1864.

    September 16, 1864 -- Reached Jefferson Barracks

    September 25, 1864 -- Left Jefferson Barracks and reached Mineral Point same day

    September 29, 1864 -- Returned to Jefferson Barracks.

    October 1864 -- Stationed at Pleasant Hill, Missouri
      October 1.---Found this command at Jefferson Barracks, Mo.

      October 2.--Marched from Jefferson Barracks with the Army under Major-General A. J. Smith in pursuit of the Rebel Army under General Sterling Price. Marched in the morning, forming a part of the command under Maj. Gen. A. J. Smith, to Kirkwood; thirteen miles.

      October 3.--Marched to Dutch Holland; eighteen miles.

      October 4.--Marched to Summit Station; ten miles.

      October 5 and 6.--Lay in camp.

      October 7.--Marched to Cedar Creek; ten miles.

      October 8.--Marched on Jefferson City road; eighteen miles.

      October 9.--Lay in camp.

      October 10.--Marched on Jefferson City road, fording Gasconade River; eighteen miles.

      October 11.--Marched to Big Mary Creek; twenty-two miles.

      October 12.--Marched to Moreau Creek; nineteen miles.

      October 13.--Passing through Jefferson City, nine miles, west; thirteen miles.

      October 14.--Marched to California, passing Lookout Station; seventeen miles.

      October 15.--Lay in camp.

      October 16.--Marched to La Mine Bridge; twenty-four miles.

      October 17.--Lay in camp.

      October 18.--Marched, passing Sedalia two miles toward Georgetown; eighteen miles.

      October 19.--Marched on Lexington road, passing Georgetown; fifteen miles.

      October 20.--Marched on Lexington road to Deer Creek; seventeen miles.

      October 21.--Marched into Lexington; twenty-three miles.

      October 22.--Marched on Harrisonville road fourteen miles and took the Independence road; seventeen miles.

      October 23.--Marched on Independence road eighteen miles.

      October 24.--At midnight passing Independence to Big Blue River; fifteen miles.

      October 25.--Marched south, passing Santa Fé, and encamped on Big Blue; fifteen miles.

      October 26.--Marched at 3.30 o'clock in the morning and passed one mile beyond Harrisonville; twenty-six miles.

      October 27 to 29.--Lay in camp.

      October 30.--Marched on the Warrensburg road via Harrisonville, to within one mile of Pleasant Hill; eleven miles.

      October 31.--Mustered for pay and marched toward Wellington to Big Snibar River; twelve miles.

      The command has thus marched during the month 369 miles, and is now in camp for the night, en route for Lexington.

    November 1864 -- Stationed on steamer Silver Lake, Cumberland River.

      NOVEMBER 1-30, 1864.--Transfer of the First and Third Divisions, Sixteenth Army Corps, from Missouri to Tennessee.

      November 1.--Moved from Snibar, Mo., at 6 a.m., sending out a scouting party upon either flank in advance. During the day three small squads of guerrillas were discovered and a few shots exchanged. They were pursued and 1 horse and 2 mules captured. Encamped on Snibar, four miles from Wellington; seventeen miles.

      November 2.--Marched at 6 a.m.; passed through Lexington; encamped on Tabo Creek; twenty-two miles.

      November 3.--Marched through snow-storm to Waverly; fifteen miles.

      November 4.--Marched on Glasgow road to Cow Creek; twenty-two miles.

      November 5.--Marched to Glasgow and ferried the Missouri River in the night; twenty miles.

      November 6.--Lay in camp.

      November 7.--Marched at 8 a.m. to Fayette; twelve miles.

      November 8 and 9.--Lay in camp.

      November 10.--Marched at 8 a.m. on road toward Warrenton and encamped at Rocheport, on Missouri River; fourteen miles.

      November 11.--Marched at 8 a.m. on Warrenton road to Columbia; fifteen miles.

      November 12.--Marched at 8 a.m. on Warrenton road to Doctor Marteen's; eighteen miles.

      November 13.--Marched at 8 a.m. on Warrenton rood, passing through Williamsburg, and encamped two miles east of town; fourteen miles.

      November 14.--Marched at 8 a.m., passing through Danville to High Hill, and encamped; sixteen miles.

      November 15.--Marched at 8 a.m. to Warrenton and one mile beyond and encamped; sixteen miles.

      November 16.--Marched at 8 a.m. on Saint Charles road and encamped at Barley's; nineteen miles.

      November 17.--Marched at 8 a.m. to Saint Charles: crossed the Missouri River and encamped on south side; twenty miles.

      November 18.--Marched to Saint Louis and encamped in Camp Gamble, where we lay until the 24th.

      November 24.--Embarked on transports and moved to Cairo, Ill.; distance 200 miles.

      November 25 - The company and regiment went on board the transport Silver Lake and proceeded to Cairo, Illinois.

      November 28.--Reached Cairo; moved to Smithland and thence up the Cumberland River toward Nashville, which place we shall probably reach this evening [November 30].

    December 1864 -- Stationed in the field in Tennessee.
      December 1, 1864 -- The command debarked from transports at Nashville, Tenn., and moved into line of battle on a range of hills southwest of town two miles. We were placed on the left of the forces under Major-General A. J. Smith in the advance line of battle in front of the Rebel Army under General Hood. Here earth-works were thrown up, behind which the brigade lay until December 15, when it was ordered out against the enemy.

      December 15-16, 1864 -- Remained until December 15, when we advanced with the entire Army under Major-General Thomas. Loss of twelve wounded December 16.

      December 17, 1864 -- The command moved in pursuit of the enemy on Franklin pike eight miles, and encamped.

      December 18, 1864 -- Moved two miles beyond Franklin.

      December 19, 1864 -- Moved one mile and a half beyond Spring Hill.

      December 20 to 25, 1864 -- Moving toward Columbia.

      December 25, 1864 -- Reached Columbia.

      December 26, 1864 -- Moved eleven miles toward Pulaski, passing through Lynn.

      December 27, 1864 -- Moved nine miles toward Pulaski.

      December 28, 1864 -- In camp.

      December 29, 1864 -- Moved through Pulaski on road to Lawrenceburg.

      December 30, 1864 -- Moved through Lawrenceburg on Clifton road and encamped.

      December 31, 1864 -- Moved six miles on Clifton road. The company was mustered in the field near Pulaski, Tennessee while in pursuit of General Hood's forces.

    Marched during the month, ninety-two miles.

        January, 1865 -- Stationed at Eastport, Mississippi

          January 1, 1865 -- Fine day; cold; two inches snow. Marched from camp toward Clifton, on the Tennessee River, sixteen miles.

          January 2, 1865 -- Pleasant day. Marched seventeen miles to Clifton.

          January 3, 1865 -- Cloudy and rainy. Lay in camp.

          January 4, 1865 -- Embarked on transports and moved up the Tennessee River to Waterloo, Ala. Arriving January 6, 1865; distance, eighty miles.

          January 7, 1865 -- Marched to Clifton on the Tennessee River. At this point took transports to Eastport, Mississippi, and went into quarters.

          January 9, 1865 -- Went out on reconnaissance to Iuka, Miss., and returned same day; distance traveled, eighteen miles; slight skirmish; captured one prisoner.

          January 31, 1865 -- The command still lies in camp at Eastport, Miss.
          [For record of events, see Field and Staff.]

        February 1865 -- Stationed at Chalmette, Louisiana
          February 8.--The command broke camp at Eastport: Miss., and embarked on transports; moved down the Tennessee River on the morning of the 9th.

          February 11.--Arrived at Cairo; distance, 200 miles.

          February 12.--Moved down the Mississippi River and arrived at Vicksburg, Miss., on the 15th; distance, 600 miles.

          February 19.--Left Vicksburg for New Orleans, La., and moved before daylight on the morning of the 20th, and arrived at Chalmette, La., on the 21st, where the command now lies in camp.

          February 28, 1865 -- The company was mustered for pay at Camp Chalmette, Louisiana.

            Distance from Vicksburg 450 miles; whole distance traveled, 1,250 miles.
          March 1865 -- Stationed in the field in Alabama
            March 6.--This command moved from camp near New Orleans, La., and embarked on ocean steamers; was transported to Dauphin Island, Ala., at the mouth of Mobile Bay, distance some 200 miles, where it arrived on the 8th instant and went into camp.

            March 19.--Embarked on steamers and was transported some twenty-five miles up Fish River to Dannelly's Landing, near which it was again encamped on the 20th.

            March 20, 1865 -- It remained in camp until March 20, when it again took transportation and crossed Mobile Bay to Fish River; passed up the river a short distance and disembarked the same day.

            March 25-April 3, 1865 -- It marched for Spanish Fort, where it remained until April 3, when it was marched to the front of Fort Blakely and commenced the siege of that place at once with its division.

            March 26.--Moved some eight miles on the Blakely road.

            March 27. Moved some eight miles to Sibley's Mills, this brigade holding the extreme advance, skirmishing all the way, at which place the command still [March 31] remains, holding the approaches to our army besieging Spanish Fort from the Blakely direction.

      Whole distance traveled during the month 241 miles.

          April 1865 -- Stationed near Montgomery, Alabama
            April 1 found this command at Sibley's Mills, Ala., guarding the approaches to the flank and rear of our army besieging Spanish Fort.

            April 2 it went out on a reconnaissance a few miles and opened communication with General Steele's army moving against the rebel works at Blakely. While out a torpedo was exploded directly under the brigade commander and staff, but caused no permanent injury excepting killing two horses.

            April 3.--The command moved six miles to support General Steele at Blakely, and was assigned a part of the main line immediately on the left of his army, skirmishing with the enemy at once. The advance skirmish line, entrenched as it was, pushed up nearer to the rebel works.

            This continued until April 9, during which time the skirmish line had been advanced some 500 yards. At 5.30 o'clock this command took active part in the gallant and successful charge of the rebel works, carrying everything before them and capturing some eight pieces of artillery and 573 prisoners.

            April 10.--This command was assigned to duty as garrison for Fort Blakely.

            April 12.--Relieved to march with rest of the corps toward Montgomery.

            April 13.--Marched eight miles.

            April 14.--Marched eighteen miles.

            April 15.--Marched ten miles.

            April 16.--Marched seventeen miles.

            April 17.--Marched eighteen miles.

            April 18.--Marched twelve miles.

            April 19.--Marched eighteen miles.

            April 20.--Marched sixteen miles.

            April 21.--Marched six miles.

            April 22.--Marched seven miles to Greenville.

            April 23.--Marched seventeen miles.

            April 24.--Marched seventeen miles.

            April 25.--Marched seven miles.

            April 26.--Lay in camp.

            April 27.--Marched seven miles, passing through Montgomery and encamping two miles northeast of the city, where the command now [April 30] lies in camp.

            April 30-June 30, 1865 -- Mustered for pay at Montgomery. We remained in camp at Montgomery till the present time.

      Whole distance traveled during the month 184 miles.

          May, 1865 -- Stationed at Montgomery, Alabama

            [For record of events, see Field and Staff.]
          June, 1865 -- Stationed near Montgomery, Alabama

            [For record of events, see Field and Staff.]