Search billions of records on

Mention of Aherns in
Newspaper Stories of 2013

Book Makes Case That Iran's Revolutionary Guard Threatens U.S. Homeland
In September 2011, a naturalized U.S. citizen of Iranian descent was arrested for allegedly plotting to kill the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States. The wheels for the plot were reportedly put into motion by members of the Quds Force, a wing of Iran's Revolutionary Guard that works to serve that nation's interests overseas. Was this an isolated incident, or a manifestation of the organization's desires to carry out operations in the U.S homeland?

Steven O'Hern, a former U.S. intelligence official in Iraq, and author of the book, "Iran's Revolutionary Guard: The Threat That Grows While America Sleeps," makes a case that the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Khamenei's personal force does have designs on the homeland. The Revolutionary Guard is a "unique organization that plays several roles — secret police, theocracy, intelligence agency, commando force, military adviser to rebel armies, and a thriving business empire," O'Hern wrote. The approximately 125,000 members do not answer to civilian rule and are separate from the regular military. He quotes a U.S. official describing the Quds Force as "taking the CIA, special forces and the State Department and rolling them all into one."

As a former intelligence officer in Iraq during the depths of the insurgency there, O'Hern went toe-to-toe with Quds Force operatives. The book gives a detailed description of the Guard's activities both in Iran and abroad. The Revolutionary Guard works through proxies such as Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in the Gaza Strip. The book documents cases of Lebanese immigrants actively involved in illegally raising funds to send back to Hezbollah in their home country.

However, there is no evidence that these law-breakers are setting out to attack the homeland, he notes. "The activity that most threatens U.S. civilians is also the most difficult to prove as a valid threat — the sleeper cell," he wrote. He defines them as innocent-appearing residents who carry out normal lives while awaiting orders from a foreign power to carry out terrorist attacks. Such plots are the stuff of Hollywood movies, O'Hern admitted. And if his contacts in federal law enforcement know of any such cells, they did not reveal their existence to him. Rumors of Iraqi sleeper cells awaiting Saddam Hussein's orders emerged in the weeks prior to the 1990 and 2003 invasions of that nation, but there were no attacks on the homeland.

In the case of Manssor Arbabsiar — the Corpus Christi, Texas, used-car salesman and restaurant owner, who was reportedly recruited to assassinate the Saudi ambassador in Washington, D.C. — he was allegedly working with Mexican drug traffickers to carry out the plot. (One turned out to be a Drug Enforcement Agency informant). O'Hern acknowledged that there are those skeptical that the Quds Force would be involved in such a ham-handed plot and that it would form an alliance with drug cartels.

As for Hezbollah, he quotes U.S. officials testifying at a House subcommittee on international terrorism hearing that the organization does have global reach and a network in the United States. Both Hezbollah and the Revolutionary Guard are active in Latin America, particularly in countries with unfriendly relations to the United States such as Venezuela. O'Hern speculates, but provides no concrete evidence, that Hezbollah operatives could carry out suicide attacks on U.S. soil or launch missiles from inside Mexico as Hamas has done — targeting Israel — from inside the Gaza Strip. "The Hezbollah presence in America is little noticed by the public and seems to be ignored by policymakers, but it has given the Revolutionary Guard a powerful weapon to use against the United States," O'Hern wrote.

National Defense Magazine January 2013
Back to Index

A cold truth: Winter swim pain is real:
But some find a sort of high in old ritual
When the human body plunges into the January waters of the Massachusetts coast, as more and more people do each New Year's Day, it will race through all sorts of painful physical stages in the first minute. Surviving that pain, those who have come out of the water say, is the point. And, maybe, the pleasure. The ritual of dunking oneself in icy water is ancient, found throughout the world's cultures, and has been going on for millennia in Massachusetts, courtesy of the Wampanoag, who are thought to have participated in dousing rituals as far back as 5000 BC. But the New Year's Day group plunge, which began in North America in 1901 with the L Street Brownies in South Boston, has boomed in popularity, with more and more organized swims across the country. On Tuesday, groups large and small will hit the icy water from Marblehead and Swampscott to Tinean Beach in Dorchester, down to Hull and Hingham and all along Cape Cod.
 . . . 
Fred Ahearn, director of the Curley Community Center, who will announce the countdown to the 10:30 a.m. plunge on his megaphone, said there is an upside to the pain: It will make you forget about a hangover. "They go into the water a little blurry-eyed from the night before, but they come out fired up and ready to go and have a couple more beers," he said.
The Boston Globe 1 January 2013
Back to Index

Real Estate Transactions
179 Wildwood Street Robert J. Ahern to Elaine S. Ahern, $125,000
The Boston Globe 3 January 2013
Back to Index

Enthusiast grooming Circleville trail to give cross-country skiing a local boost
Lee Ahern, who frequently cross country skis through Circleville Park,
is prepping the trail for others.
PATTON TOWNSHIP — A Penn State professor and local ski enthusiast is working on a long-term project to build cross-country ski trails along Circleville Park and Haugh Family Preserve. Two years ago, Lee Ahern, 52, set out to enhance awareness of the sport in the area. And with an idea, and a little cooperation from Appalachian Outdoors and Centre Region Parks and Recreation, he is one step closer to expanding his project. "I want to help the community and show people they can use the outdoors in ways it will be good for everyone," Ahern said.

Ahern, originally from Madison, Wis., grew up skiing, and when he moved to the State College area almost 10 years ago, he found something was missing. "I just figured why not get something started?" Ahern said. "Why not start grooming trails or set up a club?" Ahern said he initially contacted local parks and golf courses on information for groomed cross-country skiing, and found Circleville Park was his best prospect. "It's open, there is a lot of space and at a place where people have a lot of access to skiing," Ahern said.

A year later, Ahern got the approval to undertake the grooming of ski trails. Currently, Ahern manually grooms about 3 miles of trails along the park with machines purchased and donated to Ahern from Appalachian Outdoors. It takes him about 30 minutes to groom one-mile of trail, he said. "I put in the sweat of the operation, while they help promote it," Ahern said about Appalachian Outdoors. Store owner Geoff Brugler said Ahern contacted him several months ago, and he agreed to purchase a human-powered track setter. "It was kind of the first step in getting him a little more organized," Brugler said. "We're going to support them  . . .  We're all in this thing together in developing a lot more interest on this winter sport. On a lot of levels, it has the potential to be something great."

Ahern is now aiming to start a social and volunteer-based club that will bring awareness and education on the three types of cross-country skiing to those interested. And with a possible one-time membership fee of about $20 — once he has enough members — it should cover expenses to keep up trail grooming maintenance and other club amenities. "Right now, it's a little rough," Ahern said as he stressed the importance of pedestrian etiquette. "We need to prevent walkers and hikers from using our tracks. Right now, the trails are for multi-use purposes, and the use is damaging to the trails." Ahern and local cross-country skiers ask others to avoid the ski trails and use the walking area around the track or other designated trails in the park. "Not that it's a reckless sport, but the benefits of a well maintained track is that it's smoother and allows you to go faster more enjoyably," Ahern said.

Ahern said the upkeep of the trails would be all volunteer-based maintenance from members of the group and not through taxpayer dollars, despite the trails being on town property. Ahern implemented the Nittany Nordic Cross Country Ski Club on for anyone interested in joining. The group should be live by next week, he said. His goal is to have a couple hundred members in the next couple years. "It would get people moving in the winter and utilizing local parks," Ahern said. "It's a win-win situation for skiers and the park." By next year, Ahern said he hopes to purchase more manual groomers, have more help, set up trail maps for skiers with the use of park pavilions and facilities, clear vegetation for wider ski trails, and organized clinics and trainings through Appalachian Outdoors.

In the long-term, Ahern said he thinks the final project will be about 6 miles with trail lighting in the dark. "It's not something that will happen overnight, but I have a lot of support, dedication and patience," Ahern said. "Now we just have to hope for a nice snowy winter." According to local National Weather Service meteorologist Paul Head, State College and other parts of Centre County average between 39 to 46 inches of snow annually, which Ahern said is just enough for good cross-country skiing. "The groomers pack down the snow and it makes it melt slower even in a warm winter," he said. "It can be a good, long ski season."

Centre Daily Times 12 January 2013
Back to Index

Judge finds probable cause in Quincy man's criminal sex case involving three children
Eric W. Ahearn
Judge William Mays ruled after a lengthy preliminary hearing Tuesday that probable cause existed for a Quincy man to stand trial in April on four felony criminal sex charges involving victims under the age of 18. Eric W. Ahearn, 40, is charged with aggravated child pornography, criminal sexual assault of a family member under the age of 18 and two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. Mays set an April 8 trial date, with a pre-trial hearing scheduled for March 28. Previously delayed three times for various reasons, the preliminary hearing began with First Assistant State's Attorney Gary Farha asking Quincy Police Department Detective Cathy Martin to detail the case. Martin said two teenagers and one pre-teen were victims. In the most serious charge, Ahearn is alleged to have set up a camera in the bathroom of his apartment on Quincy's southwest side and taken nude photos of a 9-year-old victim. Martin testified that images of the pre-teen were found on a computer seized from Ahearn's house. "(The victim) didn't know anything about the pictures," Martin said. "(The victim) didn't know that (they) were being photographed."

Martin testified that a forensic search of Ahearn's computer revealed photos of him having sexual intercourse and oral sex with another underage victim. The victim was a family member of one of Ahearn's friends. The victim told investigators in Missouri that sexual encounters with Ahearn would happen when the victim's family member was not around. Martin said those sexual encounters primarily happened in Quincy, although one instance occurred in a cornfield in Missouri and another in New London, Mo. Martin said those sexual encounters happened between 2009 and December 2011 when the victim was between the ages of 13 and 15. Martin testified that nude photos of the victim taken in Ahearn's bedroom and in a hotel also were found on his computer.

During the investigation, Martin said investigators checked on a relative of Ahearn's to make sure the relative hadn't been victimized. The victim told investigators that Ahearn forced the victim to have sex on a weekly basis when Ahearn's girlfriend was away from the apartment. Martin said investigators did not find any photos of the relative on Ahearn's computer. Martin said Ahearn told investigators in an April interview at the Quincy Police Department that he didn't have a sexual relationship with the first victim. He told investigators that the victim would try to kiss him, but he rebuffed those advances.

Ahearn's attorney, Jack Inghram, grilled Martin on how the initial search warrant was issued and when Ahearn signed off on consent for the search. He asked how she and other members of the QPD entered Ahearn's residence when they first contacted him on April 4. Mays and Farha both interrupted Inghram to ask him what his line of questioning had to do with a preliminary hearing in which the court only was trying to find probable cause for the charges. The hearing lasted more than a half hour.

Ahearn was originally arrested on the aggravated child pornography charge in October and had the other three charges added in November. He has been lodged in the Adams County Jail since his Oct. 18 arrest. His bond is set at $150,000. The child pornography charge carries a prison sentence of between six and 30 years. The charge of criminal sexual assault of a family member under the age of 18 is punishable by a sentence of between four and 15 years. The two aggravated criminal sexual abuse charges carry prison terms of three to seven years. If convicted of more than one count, Ahearn would have to serve the sentences consecutively. He also could be ordered to be on mandatory supervised release from three years to life.

Quincy Herald-Whig 15 January 2013
Back to Index

Ahern wins Somerset Middle School Geography Bee
WRITING DOWN AN ANSWER: Austin Ahern is pictured during the championship round of the Geography Bee at Somerset Middle School last week.
SOMERSET — Andrew Redfearn, a social studies teacher at Somerset Middle School who runs the school's Geography Bee, asked the question "The Tokai region is a major industrial area in which Asian country?" to finalists Austin Ahern and Matthew Shea in the final round of the competition last Thursday. Ahern answered "Japan" and became the Somerset Middle School Geography Bee champion for this year. Besides Ahern and Shea, the other finalists who competed in the Geography Bee last Thursday were Halee Pellerin, Lauren Soleimani, Jillian Levesque, Kayleigh McDonald, Shawn Hickey and Tyler Correia. "Considering how challenging these questions were, and how difficult it is to perform in front of their peers, they did an outstanding job," Mr. Redfearn said.

Preliminary Geography Bee contests were held in all seventh grade classes at the middle school. Eight students advanced to a final round that was held in the auditorium of the middle school with all 200 of the seventh grade students watching last Thursday. Those eight students participated in a double elimination round and then a championship round with two finalists was held. In the championship round, three questions were asked and whoever gave the most correct answers was the winner. Students were given 15 seconds to answer the questions. Mr. Redfearn said the life experiences of the students and history and geography classes that the youths have taken since they have been in school helped to prepare them for the competition. He gave credit to sixth grade teachers Erin Maia and Kathy Bergeron for the geography lessons they taught the students. "I think it's a great way for these kids to incorporate what they learn in the classroom, what they learn at home and their academic experiences in an academic arena," Mr. Redfearn said of the benefits of the Geography Bee.

Ahern will now take a written test that will be sent to organizers of the national Geography Bee in Washington, D.C. and a small percentage of students will be chosen to compete on the state level. Some of the other questions asked during the Geography Bee last Thursday asked students about what state Delaware Bay separates Delaware from to the North and what state the Green Mountains are in. Students had maps they could use to figure out some of the questions. "I've kind of gotten interested in it," Ahern said of Geography. "I do like social studies. That's one of my favorite subjects." Ahern said he used the National Geographic web site to help prepare him for the competition. "Some of the questions were pretty challenging," Ahern said. "I sort of was a little nervous."

The Spectator 16 January 2013
Back to Index

Larry Holmes alleges scheme between
neighbor, towing company in suit
Former heavyweight champion Larry Holmes says his neighbors have violated a shared parking agreement multiple times. Attorneys for the Easton restaurant owner filed a lawsuit Friday alleging a neighboring property owner has been maliciously violating a shared parking agreement the two have. Holmes is seeking monetary damages from Riverstar Properties, its owner, Robert Haver, and Phil and Penny Ahearn's Towing and Automotive. Calls to Riverstar Properties and Phil and Penny Ahearn's Towing were not returned.

At one point, Holmes owned two buildings next to each other on Larry Holmes Drive and the shared parking lot. He sold one building in the early 2000s, and the other is his restaurant, Champ's Corner. But the properties didn't have enough parking spaces without a parking variance, according to the city's zoning hearing board. In December 2005, Holmes and Haver signed a shared parking agreement allowing users of one building to park in any portion of the lot, including spaces dedicated to the other building. Holmes claims Riverstar has allowed, or in some cases specially encouraged, a towing company to tow cars from the lot without asking Holmes if they were guests of Holmes' restaurant or other businesses in Holmes' building. That violates the agreement and discourages guests from returning to Holmes' restaurant, for fear they will be towed, according to the suit.

Also, Holmes is concerned about the amount of money Ahearn's Towing and Automotive charges to tow a car. The lawsuit alleges a conspiracy or "scheme" to wrongfully tow cars, according to the lawsuit documents. Holmes' attorneys are asking for a jury trial. The lawsuit was filed late Friday. Easton Mayor Sal Panto Jr. previously said he wants to broker a resolution to the dispute because he thinks patrons who come to Easton to eat in restaurants and visit the State Theatre won't return if their cars are towed from lots such as the one at Champ's Corner.

The Express Times 20 January 2013
Back to Index

LETTER: Dinner in Easton proved expensive
My family and I had heard a lot about Easton becoming a "culinary destination." We decided to visit and eat at a downtown restaurant Saturday evening. Imagine our surprise, inconvenience and outrage to find our car had been towed away during dinner. We parked in the lot of a closed Bank of America location near Ferry Street. We had no clue where to find our car until we asked a very helpful police officer who told us Phil & Penny Ahearn's Towing and Automotive probably had the car. The officer was correct. We soon discovered that Ahearn's would gouge us for a $240 towing fee and then twist the knife in our back by requiring the fee to be paid in cash. An expensive Easton culinary nightmare. We will not return to this hostile town!

Whitehall Township
The Express Times 22 January 2013
Back to Index

Lawrence man gets $1m in lottery
A Lawrence man is the latest lottery player to hit it big, with a $1 million winning scratch ticket from a Methuen convenience store. Bruce Ahearn, 55, who won with a $5 Black Pearls ticket, said he planned to use the $455,000 lump sum he receives after taxes tp buy a car, pay bills, and help his family, said a lottery spokeswoman, It was the fifth time in five years someone won a million dollars from the Route 110 Convenience store.
The Boston Globe 5 February 2013
Back to Index

Gloucester District Court:
Woman gets time served on heroin charge
GLOUCESTER — Courtney A. Ahearn, 30, of Common Way was sentenced to 30 days in Middleton jail, with that time already deemed served after she pleaded guilty to a charge of heroin possession Friday. Ahearn had been charged after emergency personnel transported her to Addison Gilbert Hospital from her home when she allegedly overdosed on heroin in October 2011.
Gloucester Times 20 February 2013
Back to Index

Man charged with baby's death accepts lesser charge
Webb pleads guilty to causing serious bodily injury to month-old son
A Parker County man who officials say killed his infant son in October 2010 pleaded guilty Tuesday to second-degree felony injury to a child and received the maximum 20-year sentence. John Paul Webb, 37, indicted on a capital murder charge in the case, pleaded guilty in 415th District Court to a charge of recklessly causing serious bodily injury to Christian Ray Webb.

On Oct. 11, 2010, the child's mother, 24-year-old Angelica Joyce Ahern, called 911 from the family's residence in the 500 block of Wood Hollow Drive and reported that her month-old son was non-responsive. The boy was transported to Cook Children Hospital's in Fort Worth, where he died later that day due to blunt trauma to the head and brain. The boy's injuries included a fractured skull and brain bleeding that caused his death, four broken ribs, a bruise above his eye, a torn upper lip frenulum, and anal tearing, according to Assistant District Attorney Robert DuBoise. Experts found that there was clearly blunt force impact to his head, though that could have been one blow or two impacts on each side of the head, DuBoise said. They believe the rib injuries occurred before his death, according to DuBoise.

Prosecutors still aren't sure exactly how the incident occurred, though DuBoise said the case has all the earmarks of a case of a parent who became frustrated at a possibly fussy child. When initially interviewed, Webb told investigators he fell asleep on the couch and woke because of barking dogs outside. He reportedly said that when he went to investigate, someone struck him on the head, knocking him out.

Angelica Ahern and her then 3-year-old daughter both told investigators they did not hear noises during the night. Her son was in the crib when she went to bed but was in bed next to her when she woke up, Ahern told investigators. When she began to change his diaper that morning, she reported finding him cold and unresponsive. Ahern initially told investigators she believed her son's death was a result of a low-impact accident the day prior, when a motorcycle rear-ended their vehicle. Ahern later passed a polygraph examination regarding whether she caused any injuries to her son, according to prosecutors, though they noted the test results are not admissible as evidence in court.

For the first time since the incident, Webb admitted to injuring the child with the plea, according to DuBoise, who said Webb declined a post-conviction interview with the investigator. "I think that he [Christian] got some justice," Ahern said of the plea and sentence. "It's not near what I wanted to see. John had to admit guilt and that he did something wrong." "This was a very challenging case," said DuBoise, who prosecuted the case along with Assistant District Attorney Nikki Morton. "While we believe that Webb was responsible for causing the child's death and other injuries, to have proven this case we would have had to prove that Webb intended to kill the child. Because no one witnessed Webb injure the child, the only way to prove his intent would be circumstantially. To prove his state of mind beyond a reasonable doubt was going to be difficult." "In preparing for trial, we examined cell phone records, text messages and posts on social networking sites, and what we found was that since her husband's arrest, the mother made several statements claiming that John Webb did not kill their child," DuBoise said. "While we understand that the loss of her son and the incarceration of her husband placed enormous stresses upon her, we believe that certain conduct and statements by her would serve to confuse the jury at trial. We've discussed these issues with the mother and she is fully supportive of a plea bargain in this case." Because he had no prior felony convictions, Webb would have been eligible for probation if the jury found him guilty of recklessly causing injury to the child rather than intentionally or knowingly causing his death, according to DuBoise. "The last thing we wanted was him walking out of there a free man based on what he did," DuBoise said. "That's not what anybody wanted."

Webb will be eligible for parole after serving a quarter of his sentence, according to DuBoise. He has already served more than two years in county jail awaiting trial. Ahern said she does now believe her husband killed her son but has not received many of the answers she wanted and doesn't expect to. Webb was charged with two assaults against Ahern, including a felony choking case, in the months prior to Christian's death. "When he drank, he was just mean to me," Ahern said, adding that she never saw him being mean to the children. "Maybe I just didn't see what everybody else saw." She said she believed their son would change their relationship. However, Webb kept saying Christian was not his son when she was pregnant with him and was distant when her son was born, Ahern said. The week prior she accompanied her daughter on a field trip and Webb was supposed to watch the boy, Ahern said. However, when she returned home, she said she found Christian still in the bassinet. "He hadn't even acknowledged his son was there," Ahern said. She said she told the judge Tuesday how she didn't just lose her son that day but lost everything — her husband, her house and her daughter. Ahern's daughter, now six years old, has been placed with relatives by the court. Everything she'd worked so hard to hold onto, she lost, Ahern said.

It was difficult seeing Webb in the courtroom, Ahern said. "He didn't have any emotion," Ahern said. "It was like he just ran a stop sign, like no big deal." Ahern said she wants Webb to serve all 20 years, describing it as "a slap on the wrist for killing a baby," and plans to write the parole board. "A lot of people are (upset) because of the fact that he took a plea bargain," Ahern said. "They don't understand. They don't know all the details . . . they can't judge it unless they've walked through it."

Weatherford Democrat 20 February 2013
Back to Index

Roof Raking Debate
The "to rake or not-to-rake roofs" saga continues. . . .  Here's a note from Dennis Ahern of Acton: "Winter before last I had 2 feet of snow on the pitched roof of my 1820s Greek Revival. With a forecast of rain I was not going to leave my roof unraked. . . .  I'm not going to risk my roof to the added weight of 2 inches of rain on top of 2 feet of snow."

And here is how I answered Mr. Ahern: Don't waste your time and health raking. It is unnecessary, and the roof can hold more than 2 inches of rain and 2 feet of snow. There is no risk of damage from the weight. My roof's wood parts are 245 years old and will hold any amount of snow and other weights. These notes are typical of the mail I received after Feb. 14. Mr. Ahern had a misconception of what a snow and water load could do to a sloped roof, which is nothing, and I hope we leave it at that.

The Boston Globe 24 February 2013
Back to Index

Jennifer Ann Butler engaged to Jeffrey C. Ahern
Robert and Diane Ahern of Quaker Road in Johnston are pleased to announce the marriage of their son, Jeffrey C. Ahern, to Jennifer Ann Butler, daughter of William and Camille Butler of Clifton Park, N.Y. The groom is a graduate of Rhode Island College and currently works for the Rhode Island National Guard. The bride, a graduate of Providence College, works as an applications specialist at MEDITECH in Massachusetts. The couple originally met in 2008 in Providence and got engaged on Christmas Eve in 2010. They married at St. John the Evangelist in New York on Sept. 29, and honeymooned in Hawaii. Mr. and Mrs. Ahern reside in Smithfield.
Cranston Herald 28 February 2013
Back to Index

Lost leg will not keep him down
By Clay Horning
NORMAN — On Aug. 5, the personal watercraft Patrick Ahearn was piloting during a Florida vacation collided with a boat. Ahearn collided with the boat's propeller, losing his left leg below the knee. Today, Ahearn, a Norman High senior, will run the 400 meters at Putnam City. "Next week I might try running the 800," he said. Why not? Distance has always been his thing. A cross country runner by training, Ahearn's natural track events are the 1,600 and 3,200. But live your life in a wheelchair for a little while, then on crutches and a prosthetic, then on a prosthetic that doesn't allow for much running; well, even a young athlete who's always been in great shape must rebuild his stamina "Right now, I'm sort of getting my endurance back and my strength up," Ahearn said. "I chose the 400 because that's what I'm running in practice."

He received his first prosthesis five months ago. That got him walking on two crutches, then one crutch and then no crutches all in the space of a couple of weeks. After a while, he was doing some fast walking and even some running on that same prosthesis, the one he wears every day. Then, at the urging of his prosthetist at Scott Sabolich Prosthetics, an Oklahoma City firm, a manufacturer came through with a prosthetic made for running, even at no charge. The manufacturer may have been motivated by the story of a high school senior who wanted to get back on the track with his teammates before his time was done. Also, it didn't hurt when Ahearn explained he'd be running for public consumption. "It does have their logo and name on it," he said.

The new prosthetic only arrived two weeks ago. Immediately, Ahearn was running on it. Today, he'll race. "I'm running a lot sooner than I thought I would be," he said. "I thought I would be doing my first running over the summer. Because I'm young and I was already a runner, I healed a lot faster. "I'm kind of amazed myself." His coach, Scott Monnard, believes many will drop what they're doing today at Putnam City Stadium when it's Ahearn's turn to run. That could be as early as 4:30 p.m., though track meets have long made for messy schedules. "I have a feeling everybody's going to want to watch," Monnard said.

It won't bother Ahearn, who knows there's a reasonable chance he'll finish last. Turning an old saying on its ear, it's not really about where he finishes, but that he starts. "I don't care about my time," he said. "It's my senior year, I only have a couple more chances to run as a Tiger. I get to put on my uniform and I get to compete against other schools and run alongside my teammates." Ahearn understands people will see him as inspirational. Many have told him they look forward to seeing him run. The rare teenage role model, he's all right with it. "I kind of just see it that I'm continuing with my life," he said. "It doesn't really put any pressure on me. Right now, I'm just worried about getting my times down." Sounds like a runner.

The Norman Transcript 5 April 2013
Back to Index

OKLAHOMA CITY — Ninety-two-point-seven-two seconds and not a dry eye in the place. Well, something like that. Norman High's Patrick Ahearn ran Friday afternoon. Not for the first time but for the first time in front of the masses and for the first time in uniform and for the first time, as he so often says, "as a Tiger." He took off slowly and didn't get a whole lot faster, but that was all right. Indeed, it was better than all right because it gave everybody time. And, Friday, everybody meant everybody. Hundreds of athletes and tens of coaches and managers and support personnel milling around the infield moved over to crowd the home stretch several bodies deep; like punters rooting home their horse, which, come to think of it, isn't a bad analogy, because if you have to bet on somebody you can't go wrong with Ahearn.

Eight months previous to the day he lost most of the lower half of his left leg when the personal watercraft he was directing struck a boat before he struck the boat's propeller. Five months ago, he began to walk again on a prosthetic. Two weeks ago, he received a prosthetic made for running. Friday, he competed. "Just finally being back with my team and not watching everything from the sidelines," he said was the best thing about the day. That, and "just being a Tiger again." His last 150 yards or so had to be way up there, too. Ahearn was about halfway through his 400 meter heat when the PA announcer alerted everybody he was running in lane seven, quickly summarized the Tiger senior's story and saluted him for being a role model. And by the time everybody understood what was going on a stunningly awesome site prevailed.

Scores of athletes, in all different uniforms, and everybody else, and all at once, lined the home stretch like a parade. Noise built slowly to a roar. Some cried. "I didn't know they were going to do that," Ahearn said of the PA announcement. "Whenever I came around that corner I saw everyone right there on the track and everybody in the stands was on their feet. That was pretty cool." Unforgettable.

If Ahearn had never seen anything like that before, he wasn't the only one; and of all the things sports and life are about, seeing something you've never seen before must be high on the list. Ahearn, ever cool, even had a joke ready when asked if anything was more than he expected. "My time was certainly more than I expected," he said. The kid's pretty amazing. Perhaps all of us are more resilient than we ever hope to realize. Still, we can't possibly be as well prepared to handle it as Ahearn. "I'm sure in his private moments he may wonder why me or whatever, but he never seems to have a bad day," said Barry Bogle, his stepfather. "With Patrick, what you see is what you get."

His mother, Lisa Bogle, remembers a day when Ahearn, maybe trying to help her deal with his condition, said, "Look, this is me." "I think he's taught us a lot of life lessons," she said. "I think he teaches us something every day." The day before, asked to consider his plight, Ahearn was matter-of-fact and undeniably positive. "It's not really one of those things that you think about before it happens, so you don't really know how you'll handle it," he said. "I've decided I don't want it to get the best of me, I'm going to keep moving forward. I know it could have been a lot worse."

That was clear, too, Friday, because in the grandness of his presence, one could also consider his absence. Just not for very long, and certainly not for a moment after he turned the corner for home. Everybody rushed the stage. Everybody was on their feet. Once he finished, he remained the center of attention for a very long time. He'll get faster. "I'm going to train harder and harder," Ahearn said. But there may not be a bigger day than Friday. If not for Ahearn, for everybody else.

The Norman Transcript 6 April 2013
Back to Index

Patrick Ahearn, High School Track Star, Runs First Race After Losing Leg
Patrick Ahearn's career as a track star was put on hold when the high school senior lost part of his leg in a boating accident in August. But not even the amputation of his foot could keep the determined teenager permanently off the track, where he previously held the title of Norman High School cross-country captain. The Oklahoma teen on Friday completed his first race since his injury. Running on a prosthetic leg, Ahearn sprinted across the finish line to a standing ovation from audience members rallied on the sidelines. "Whenever I came around that corner I saw everyone right there on the track and everybody in the stands was on their feet. That was pretty cool," Ahearn told local newspaper The Norman Transcript.

Ahearn lost his left foot and part of his leg after being critically injured in a jet ski accident in August, while vacationing in Florida. According to the Oklahoman, Ahearn's vehicle collided with a 38-foot boat's propeller. He suffered a serious head injury and was airlifted to a local hospital, where part of his left leg was later amputated. After five months of rehabilitation, Ahearn began walking again, but a return to the track before the end of the spring season still seemed out of the question. Even if Ahearn could be fitted in time with a special prosthetic leg for running, it wouldn't be ready for wear until weeks later. As The Oklahoman reports, that's when Ahearn's prosthetist, Kyle Wagner, stepped in. Wagner contacted prosthetic design company Freedom Innovations, and relayed Ahearn's story. The company, keen to let a young runner test one of its products during a competition, obliged and put in a rush order for a runner's blade. Two weeks before the race, Ahearn was fitted with the prosthetic and took it home, free of charge.

While his subsequent track meet performance did not match his previous records, Ahearn did run his best time since his injury, finishing the 400-meter race in 1 minute, 32 seconds. But, according to the Transcript, Ahearn said the best part of his day was running again with his team and "not watching everything from the sidelines."

Huffington Post 8 April 2013
Back to Index

Medford's Joseph Ahearne, Malden Catholic senior,
prepares to enter U.S. Naval Academy
Malden Catholic High School is pleased to announce that Joseph Ahearne of Medford has been officially appointed to the United States Naval Academy. Ahearne, a senior at Malden Catholic High School, and Vice President of the Student Council, states that the structure and academic experience that he received at MC has been the driving force that aided him in his Naval Academy decision. "Malden Catholic taught me to have the right attitude. There is a lot expected from the students here and we are taught to perform Plus Ultra or 'More Beyond' That is the way I approach every aspect of my life," says Ahearne.

This positive viewpoint is exactly the way that Joe Ahearne lives his student life at Malden Catholic. Ahearne is the secretary of the National Honor Society, a member of the MC Ambassador Program, a recipient of the George Eastman Young Leadership Award, and the captain of the Malden Catholic wrestling team, where he is a two-time Catholic Conference All-Star Wrestling winner.This driven young student is also a three sport athlete, active infootball, wrestling and lacrosse. He is a member of the St. Francis Xavier Scholars Program, and an avid participant in both the Spanish Club and the Crystal 99 newspaper.

Ahearne's service to the community is numerous. This senior helped organize the walk for the Juvenile Diabetes Association at school, was a participant in the Malden Catholic Leadership Institute, and a "Light the Night" participant. According to him, "Malden Catholic and the Annapolis Naval Academy offered the best of both worlds. The similarities include tradition and the opportunity that tradition affords. They are both top notch institutions." One of the requirements necessary to enter the Naval Academy is a letter of recommendation from a person of authority. Congressman Edward Markey proudly was the author of this supporting letter for Ahearne. Congressman Markey, a current candidate for the US Senate, is also a graduate of Malden Catholic High School Class of 1964.

Ahearne is the son of Ms. Maureen Donovan and Mr. Michael Ahearne and the grandson of Mrs. Mary Donovan of Somerville. His father was a thirty-year member of the British Royal Air Force and his grandfather served in the Army during the Korean War. This July, soon after graduation, Joe Ahearne will enter the United States Naval Academy with the support of his family and the pride of Malden Catholic. 12 April 2013
Back to Index

St Joseph Marathon Runner Undeterred
By Boston Marathon Blasts
It will take more than a pair of bombs going off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon to keep a St. Joseph man from running in the event in 2014. Michael O'Hearn spoke with WSJM News after getting home Tuesday evening and says he's undeterred by the attacks. O'Hearn is 52 and completed his eighth straight Boston Marathon on Monday. He says he had finished just minutes before the blasts and had already gone to his hotel when he heard the sirens. O'Hearn calls it a "tragedy" that the event has been given a black eye by the bombings, saying it's such a positive celebration in Boston every Spring with a million people cheering on the runners. While he wasn't allowed to leave his hotel due to law enforcement using it as their command center after the bombings, he said getting out of Boston yesterday was smooth and all the flights were running on time.
WSJM 16 April 2013
Back to Index

St. Joseph man vows to run 2014 Boston Marathon
ST.JOSEPH (WKZO) — It's going to take more than a pair of bomb blasts to keep Michael O'Hearn of St. Joseph out of the 2014 Boston Marathon. O'Hearn had just finished his eighth Boston Marathon Monday when a pair of bombs went off near the finish line, but says he never heard them as he had already rounded the corner back to his hotel. It was only when he heard the sirens that he knew something had gone wrong, and then his phone kept buzzing with texts from family and friends wondering if he was okay. The 52-year-old says he's already qualified to run in next year's event, and plans to do so.
WKZO 17 April 2013
Back to Index

In the courts of Lincolnshire
Hugh John Ahearn, 46, of 30 Beckett Avenue, Gainsborough, pleaded guilty at Lincoln Magistrates' Court to 12 counts of possession of indecent photographs. He was committed to Lincoln Crown Court for sentencing.
Lincolnshire Echo 19 April 2013
Back to Index

And baby makes five! Georgina Ahern is pregnant again
The Ahern-Byrne brood is expanding again. Already mum to six-year-old twins Jay and Rocco, Georgina Ahern is set to become a mother again with her husband, Nicky Byrne. The fitness fanatic has been married to the Westlife singer for ten years and the couple are said to be thrilled to be expecting again. Nicky confirmed the news on his Twitter account, saying: Morning y'all.. Its time to share our exciting news.. Georgina is expecting ! Yep, Third "Baby Byrne" is on the way!!"

Although the couple are keeping the details under wraps at the moment, she is believed to be past the three month mark and into the 'safe zone' of her second trimester. Little Rocco and Jay, who celebrated their sixth birthday over the weekend with a special bash, were born two months premature and Georgina has become a vocal advocate for pre and postnatal healthcare for Irish women. And Bertie Ahern's daughter has been extremely honest in her approach.

Georgina contributed to a book published for the Irish Premature Babies charity called Tiny Footprints, in which she recalled the huge stresses put on her and Nicky. "It had not been the most comfortable of times, being pregnant with twins on a tour bus, attending concerts, etc," she revealed. "I was happy and relieved when we got back home to Dublin, thinking we had at least a couple of weeks to get ready. "Soon after we settled in back home we went to visit Nicky's parents; I remember it was a Wednesday. While we were there, they presented us with two adorable carrycots. "Looking back on that day, I can clearly remember going to bed that night, thinking perhaps something was about to begin a wee bit too early. "That next morning, we dashed into the NMH in Dublin, where I discovered I was going into premature labour. "In the early hours of Friday, 20 April, the boys were delivered by emergency Caesarean section, eight weeks prematurely. And so began our journey into the world of precious premature babies." We're very different as individuals, but we're very close as well. He's my closest, closest friend and companion, and what I love about him is that he's everything I'm not. He's so laidback and he makes me feel relaxed in his company, and he's very funny and charming, which I love. I'd probably be more reserved and shyer and a worrier — I'll say something and then I'll think, "Is that terrible?"

Irish Independent 29 April 2013
Back to Index

Columbia student allegedly raped at Ritz Carlton by man she met online
A Columbia University dental student was allegedly raped at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in lower Manhattan after she met a man online — and he drugged her with ecstasy, police sources said yesterday. The 26-year-old woman met Sean Ahearn, 27, of Long Island, on an unspecified dating site, and they made plans to meet at the Ritz in Battery Park around 8 p.m. on April 7, sources said. Ahearn paid for the pricey room with a credit card and escorted his date upstairs, sources said. Once inside the room, Ahearn allegedly slipped liquid ecstasy into her drink, causing her to black out, police sources said. Ahearn may have also spiked her drink with a second drug, police sources said. He had sex with the unconscious victim. When the victim awoke the next morning, she felt "like s--t," sources said, but the two had breakfast together.

Days later, she went to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, where she was given a rape kit and a toxicology test. The results of both tests are pending. Police were called to the hospital, and she filed a report. Detectives set up a "controlled phone call" in which they listened in on a conversation between the victim and Ahearn, sources said. During their phone discussion, Ahearn admitted that he drugged her, sources said.

Detectives arrested Ahearn on Saturday on charges of rape and facilitating sex offense with a controlled substance. Sources said Ahearn told cops that the sexual encounter was consensual, but he admitted that he "gave her liquid X."

Ahearn added this post this to his Facebook:

Worst weekend of my entire life. I guess I might be a little naive but after someone tells you they love you and you have nothing but good times with them for them to come out and lie on you, set you up and try to and could possibly ruin my entire life if I didn't have all the evidence I luckily have.. and even still innocent people go to jail all the time so please say a prayer for me. Still in shock just going to continue to have faith that everything happens for a reason and everything will work out. Totally blindsided by this. They know in their heart this did not happen, why would it happen what would my motive be? What would I have to gain? I'm guessing some little weasel got in your head and got you to believe this if you honestly don't remember.
New York Post 30 April 2013
Back to Index

MADISON LAKE, Minn. — Kylee O'Hearn and Michael Meyer of Madison Lake announce their engagement. Kylee is the daughter of Craig and Karen O'Hearn of Owatonna. Michael is the son of Joe and Becky Meyer of Madison Lake. A wedding is planned for June 21, 2013, at the Church of Immaculate Conception Marysburg in Madison Lake.
Owatonna People's Press 5 May 2013
Back to Index

Face Time: A benefit for the Basilica of St. Mary
Guests at the Emmanuel Masqueray Ball had Windows on the World — or at least our part of the world. The annual event, now in its sixth year, was held on the 50th floor of the IDS Center. The ball provides funding for the preservation and restoration of the Basilica of St. Mary in Minneapolis.
Jill and Daniel Ahern
Star Tribune 3 June 2013
Back to Index

Ahern poised to return to politics
ONE of Cork's longest serving TDs is poised to make a comeback to frontline politics in next year's local elections. Michael Ahern, who was a Fianna Fáil TD for Cork East between 1982 and 2011, and a former junior minister in Bertie Ahern's Government, confirmed to the Evening Echo that he would give "serious consideration" to running for a county council seat in 2014 if he was selected by the party. The former Minister of State for Trade and Commerce said: "Politics is still in the blood and that will never change. I still get the phone calls to help people even though I'm not in the Dáil and I still love to do so. You never leave politics once it's gripped you for so long — the buzz is always there. "I never left local politics — I'm involved in my parish council as well as the party in east Cork. "Fianna Fáil has no TD or county councillor in the area and I think we can do very well next year. There is great young talent coming through and I think a blend of that youth and vibrancy with my experience would serve the people well. "If the party wants me to stand, I would give it serious consideration."

Mr Ahern comes from one of Cork's most enduring political dynasties. His granduncle John Dinneen was first elected to Cork County Council in 1911 and was later elected to the Dáil, beginning a long line of family members who served in either the county council or the Dáil. Mr Ahern's father Liam won a Fianna Fáil seat in Cork North East in the 1973 election, while his brother Maurice was a county councillor until 2009. He had a famed rivalry with fellow former Cork East Fianna Fáil TD, Ned O'Keeffe, while in office but the two men are believed to have significantly healed their differences in recent years. Mr O'Keeffe said in 2012 that he did not think Mr Ahern was finished and that he would like to see him run again for political office as he could still do a good job.

Mr Ahern said his decision would become clearer in the coming weeks with the new electoral boundaries coming into play. A report from the boundary commission is expected shortly that will realign electoral some areas in the county. Cobh-based political commentator Ken Curtin has already confirmed he is seeking the Fianna Fáil nomination to run for Cork County Council.

Evening Echo 28 May 2013
Back to Index

Broadview woman sentenced for fatal drunken-driving crash
Mary Stahl Ahern appears in court Wednesday afternoon
for sentencing in a fatal drunken-driving crash on Highway 3.
Explaining that a sentence without some prison time would send the wrong message about the dangers of drinking and driving, a judge ordered a Broadview woman into state custody Wednesday for causing the deaths of an elderly Wyoming couple. "The days of having a roady on the way home from the bar are over," Yellowstone County District Judge Mary Jane Knisely said. Knisely ordered Mary Stahl Ahern to serve 20 years in state custody, with 17 years suspended, for the negligent homicide of 80-year-old Muriel Alderson. The judge imposed a concurrent 10-year sentence, with seven years suspended, for a charge of negligent vehicular assault related to the serious injuries suffered by 77-year-old Thomas Alderson. The judge also ordered Ahern, 54, to pay a $3,000 fine.

The Aldersons, of Basin, Wyo., were driving home from a craft show in Lavina on Sept. 11, 2011, when Ahern crossed the center line on Highway 3 near Broadview and hit their vehicle head on at about 10 p.m. A test later showed Ahern had a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent, more than twice the state legal limit. A few minutes after the first crash, a second vehicle stuck the Honda Odyssey driven by Thomas Alderson in the driver's side door. Muriel Alderson died at the scene of the crash. Her husband survived the crash but succumbed to his injuries after spending three months at an advanced-care treatment facility.

Ahern was not charged with his death because of the difficulty of proving which crash caused the most significant injuries. Ahern pleaded no contest to the charges in April. She paid restitution of about $350,000 as a result of a separate legal action. At the sentencing hearing, Knisely heard testimony from the Aldersons' children, Erik Alderson and Gwen Alderson, both of California. They described the tremendous loss to their family and the agony they felt as their father slowly died at the care center. "It shouldn't be lost that they were two real people that mattered," Gwen Alderson said.

Knisely imposed the sentence suggested by Deputy County Attorney David Carter, who explained that he had taken several facts into consideration in making the recommendation. Ahern has a long history of alcohol abuse, Carter said, but no criminal history. Ahern's defense attorneys, Casey Heitz and Mark Parker, argued for a six-year deferred sentence. Ahern has abstained from alcohol since the crash, they said. Both Ahern and the community would benefit more from providing her with treatment rather than sending her to prison, the attorney said. Ahern spoke briefly and tearfully apologized before receiving her sentence. "I hope someday we can both begin to heal over this tragedy and someday they will be able to forgive me," she said.

Ravalli Republic 13 June 2013
Back to Index

Jurors see FBI files describing Bulger as informant
James "Whitey" Bulger fed the FBI information for 15 years about everyone from New York Mafia don John Gotti to some of his closest South Boston associates, sometimes blaming others for his own alleged crimes, according to detailed reports presented in court Monday. . . . 

Bulger also reported on the drug dealing of some of his South Boston associates, the informant files say. A 1983 report indicates that he told the FBI that Hobart Willis and his partner Freddy Ahern were involved in an ongoing deal to receive two tractor-trailer loads of marijuana weighing up to 40,000 pounds. The deal was to take place at the Howard Johnson's on the Massachusetts Turnpike.

The Boston Globe 24 June 2013
Back to Index

Eleanor Ahearn has been a Red Cross volunteer for over 50 years
An energetic 93-year-old American Red Cross volunteer,
Elanor Ahearn has volunteered with the organization for over 50 years.
WAYNE/PIKE—For over 50 years, Eleanor Ahearn has volunteered her time to help others through services offered by the American Red Cross. At the age of 93, Ahearn gets up every morning, as the birds start singing their morning tunes, ready to do whatever she has planned for the day. Her American Red Cross journey officially started in the 1960's, but her initial inspiration came from her aunt Hannah Fulde, who she saw speak on a platform that Eleanor Roosevelt once spoke on in Washington, DC in 1937. After that year, seeing the respect her aunt had from others, Ahearn realized she wanted to have such a positive effect on others too.

But first, before the hours of addressing natural disasters and the misfortunes of others, Ahearn recalls walking across campus one Sunday morning in 1941 and someone shouting that Pearl Harbor had been bombed. Or when boys broke locks on the doors of girls' dorm rooms in college, because they would have panty raids and Ahearn was forced to lock her door by putting a chair under the door knob. In school, Ahearn took many courses, sometimes being in the classroom from early in the morning to late at night, but she didn't mind, she says, because she loved school. By learning so much, Ahearn says the education gave her a "wide scope," to look for a job.

Ahearn had a "marvelous career," in the fashion world, she says, in the ever bustling city of Chicago where she would travel to Paris and have lunch with the likes of fashion icons Christian Dior. Firstly, Ahearn started at Marshall Field as a comparative shopper, doing surveys on buyers. She eventually left that job to become an executive director, beating out male employees in the 1950's. In her position, she represented 72 manufacturers. The men, she says, "underestimated me" and she adds, "of course I didn't earn what they did back in those days." Competing against men, Ahearn says, it was difficult because women had to have good morals, respect for themselves and be courageous because of the many temptations.

After the glam and fun of the fashion industry, when she started volunteering with the American Red Cross, Ahearn went on to initiate several programs to help others that included educational programs to help the visually impaired or programs to teach people about the importance of good hygiene and first aid. Traveling between cities, there were times when she was in New York City trying to raise funds for the organization or in Washington D.C. to head blood donation programs. Traveling constantly with the organization, at home, her late husband Gerard wasn't happy and so she decided she really had to make some changes. So, in 1972 the couple built a home in Hemlock Farms, where Ahearn still resides today. Although she was in the region, Ahearn says the Red Cross still wanted her to work, but because of the distance she wasn't willing to travel the miles to Philadelphia and so she first started working in the Honesdale office.

The News Eagle 3 July 2013
Back to Index

Past catches up with local man
On the other side of Lake Michigan, James O'Hearn left a lot of financial upheaval in his wake. Steven Biskupic, then the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, said O'Hearn defrauded more than 100 people in the 1990s. When the courts added up the losses, they totaled more than $2.4 million. "I prosecuted fraud cases for almost 20 years and Mr. O'Hearn's was one of the worst in terms of its financial impact on individual victims," Biskupic said.

Many victims lost hundreds of thousands of dollars of retirement and life savings, according to Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports. Erin, Wis., resident Tom Vigo told the court that he lost $260,000. Vigo said he lost his business and landed in bankruptcy court. A Milwaukee firefighter lost $85,000 in retirement savings. A Racine man was out $118,000 and a Racine County family was bilked out of more than $100,000. A crowd of about 40 bilked investors cheered in 1999 when they heard O'Hearn's six-year prison sentence from U.S. District Judge Charles N. Clevert. "You hurt a lot of people," Clevert told O'Hearn during the sentencing. "And this court finds your conduct not only a breach of trust but, in my view, reprehensible." A Milwaukee man who asked not to be identified was one of those victims. "(O'Hearn) was a financial planner and he did very well by me, but all of a sudden he was able to manipulate my account and take $100,000 of my mutual funds and use them for himself," the man said. The 67-year-old described O'Hearn as a "smooth talker" who was easy to trust. "The thing that really got me was the way he built confidence in people," the man said. "He was a real con man. He would look you directly in the eye and tell you everything is great, that he wouldn't deceive you. You know, you trust him." When told that O'Hearn raises funds in the Tri-Cities area, the Milwaukee man responded: "Fundraising? Are you kidding me? I would not trust him for a second. That's like the fox running the hen house. No, no, no no, absolutely not. I would not trust him. I know a lot of people in the greater Milwaukee area that would not trust him. I would want to see those books and make sure where he says it's (money) going." The investor said he received about half of his losses back through an insurance policy.

O'Hearn said he is still paying $500 per month restitution. A spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office's financial litigation unit in Milwaukee said she is not allowed to disclose payment history or account balances. "Every once in a while, I get like a $30 check," the Milwaukee investor said. "When I get these little crummy checks, it's like, 'Here's a kick in the ribs for you.' I would say I've received less than $1,000." The Milwaukee man said he is also concerned to hear that O'Hearn is working with senior citizens. "There's always people that will tell you he's turning his life around and everything is wonderful," the man said." . . . He puts on a great show, but I would not trust this guy. . . . He works the system then shears the sheep."

Grand Haven Tribune 6 July 2013
Back to Index

After Tim Ahearn hurt his knee, he had to give up running and weightlifting, which is how he hurt his knee. Maybe he would try biking. Maybe he would sign up for a race. The Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb looked intriguing, a 7.6-mile race up the Northeast's highest peak (6,288 feet). So he signed up for it. And trained as best he could, given the fact that he didn't know a lot about cycling or training for mountain races. Three years ago, Ahearn, 38, of Woodstock went to Mt. Washington in August. He finished third, an unknown amongst some of the top competitors in the sport gathered there. "I didn't know anything about it," Ahearn said last week. "You learn later that it's this cult race, very prestigious. All these big names in cycling have done it and won it."

His wife, Dr. Aimee Eggleston, who is an equine veterinarian in Woodstock, went to watch her husband that year. "It was funny, as a spectator," she said. "They have their checkpoints and they're announcing. You could hear a couple big names, first and second, and they're like, 'Third is—' There was a long pause, 'Number—' and you could kind of hear the rustling, like they're flipping through, going, 'Who is this?' 'Tim Ahearn.' I was like, 'Oh!' I was jumping up and down."

Now they know who he is. Ahearn, who played basketball and ran track in high school in Maryland but had never been a cyclist until 2010, finished third again in 2011. He was 10th last year due to illness, injury and some really fast competition and he is training again for the Aug. 17 Hillclimb. Saturday, he warmed up with another race up Mt. Washington called Newton's Revenge. Ahearn finished third in 59 minutes, 6 seconds, less than a minute behind winner Dereck Treadwell. The two races are known as the toughest hillclimbs in the world due to the average grade of the auto road, which is 12 percent. The Revenge was born due to the popularity of the Hillclimb, which attracts Olympians, mountain bikers[icon1.png] , triathletes and top cyclists. Only 635 competitors are accepted into a race. Former East Lyme resident Tom Danielson, who was the top American finisher in the 2011 Tour de France, set the Hillclimb record (49:24) in 2002. Ahearn didn't know any of this when he set out to race it the first time. "I had no idea what I was doing," he said. "I had no idea how to train. I had this vague idea that other people rode their bikes too. I went out every day, plotted out some sort of route and did it and went home and did it again the next day. When I did well at Mt. Washington, the next day, someone called me and said, 'Do you want to go riding?' I said, 'Sure.' "Before that, it was a solitary thing. Mt. Washington connected me with a whole bike community. It's been really gratifying."

Last year, Ahearn was the top finisher in the BUMPS (Bike Up Mountain Point Series) series, which encompasses a series of mountain races. This year, he has already won the Wachusett Mountain Hill Climb on May 11, a 3.7-mile trek up 1,162-foot Wachusett Mountain in Princeton, Mass. He went to Wachusett Wednesday to train and rode up the mountain four times at almost maximum pace. He rides two hours a day during the week, 4-5 hours on weekend days. He manages his wife's veterinary business; the couple also has a young daughter. Aidan Charles of New Haven, a Category 1 cyclist who is the captain of the Aetna Cycling Team based in Middletown, invited Ahearn to be on the team last winter. "It's impressive for him to compete against the guys he has," said Charles, an endurance athlete coach who now coaches Ahearn. "To place [at Mt. Washington] is very unusual. "He has raw power. A big engine. He's not a great sprinter but he keeps a steady pace. He'd be a monster 10K-half marathoner if he was a runner."

Because his sights are set on the Hillclimb in August, Ahearn trained hard this week, through Saturday's race on Mt. Washington. It didn't help Saturday that the winds were gusting between 45-60 mph and there was rain and fog at the top with zero visibility and temperatures in the 50s. Treadwell, the 2011 winner who was an Olympic Trials finalist in the 1,500 meters and a former All-American runner at the University[icon1.png] of Maine, won again in 58:14 Saturday. "Wasn't the best performance for me but that's something to gun for in August!" Ahearn wrote in a text message Saturday.

Hartford Courant 6 July 2013
Back to Index

Return to The Ahern Family HomePage

This page copyright © 2013 by Dennis Ahern.
This page was last updated 10 July 2013.