|Source||Brigus Past Glory, Present Splendour, Page 23|
"The three-storey mansard dwelling opposite Jackson's Quay (enhanced in 1990 by the addition of a two-storey east wing) was originally the home of Captain Sam Edwards, schooner master with the mercantile establishment of J. & G. Smith. Built during the heyday of the large mercantile firm, this house was sold a few years after the folding of the firm (1877) to Captain Sam Edwards, as shown by the following well preserved document: "Sold by J. J. Smith and William George Spear Smith (operating under the mercantile establishment known as J. & G. Smith) to Sam Edwards, fisherman. Date of sale August 3l, 1883." Registered October 13 of that year. This was one of the earliest houses built by William A. Green, a prominent Brigus contractor and builder of many fine Brigus residences during the late 1800s. Vacant for a time following the demise of Captain Edwards, the dwelling later served as the home of the Scaplens. Gordon Scaplen was for a time an employee of the Hue Mattress Manufacturing Co., which existed on a site between North Brook and the Conception Bay Highway just West of the path known today as Quigley's Lane. The Misses Louisa and Mary Charlotte Spracklin were also occupants|
here, as were the Harold Linthornes. Owned later by Victor Antle, the place was sold to the Harveys of St. John's in the early 1970's."
Copyright © 1999
by Glen C. Bodie
Page generated on 02 Oct 1999