The tables in this section are a chronological report of what we know about the family names.
Kuykendalls have been slave owners in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania,
Virginia, ands the Carolinas. and in nearly all the southern states. George
Benson Kuykendall in the history of the Kuykendall family says "as far as he has been able to discover
the black people owned by the Kuykendalls were treated with more kindness and
consideration in the section of Virginia where they lived than slaves were treated in some other parts of the country."
in the History of the Kuykandall family
Reported by Leona or Carlton Brooks, grandchildren
- Born December 20, Bowling Green, Warren County, KY.
- Married Josephine FLEMING: August 30,1890 in Jefferson Parish,
LA. LA license # 179.
- Our grandfather reportedly had an Oldsmobile and a Model T truck, a 20-foot
skiff and a pirogue.
- He taught his sons the trade of stave cutting. For that period in history, he was a propertied man -- acquiring
quite a few houses, a store and a farm back in Jonestown. He gave his son Abe one house as a wedding present, according
to Mamie HUNTER ELLIOTT, Uncle Abe's daughter.
- Last Residence: 2235 Huey P. Long, Gretna, LA
- Ethnicity/Religion: Catholic.
- Had a brother Lewis (Louis).
- No addictions, No alzheimers, No mental illness, No diabetes.
- Josephine Fleming was reportedly buried at Green Street Cemetery or
Had a brother called "Buddy".
- Married at the age of 20.
- Children of Henderson and Josephine: Abram,. Elizabeth, Harry, Alice,
Joseph, James, Emmett, and Jessie. All born in Louisiana.
Click for Hunter Generations:
|Declaration for Dependent Mother's
pension Act of June 27, 1890. National Archives of Pension Records
- Dick KUYKENDALL, born in Butler County, KY.
- Born about 1813; Died
- Married Dilsie, born 1813 in Butler County, KY.
- Dilsie died May 31, 1900.
Certificate: File # 22991, place of death: Warren County,
Bowling Green, KY
and Dilsie KUYKENDALLhad 3 known children: Aleck, Jesse and Mariah.
- Mariah KUYKENDALL: Born 1831; Died Oct.10,1921.
- Married Abram HUNTER September 9, 1867 in Bowling Green, KY
- Buried in Bowling Green, KY (Mt. Moriah Cemetery)- the
"Black" section of Fairview Cemetery on Cemetery RD.
War Records; NARA Film# M589 Roll 51
- Aleck KUYKENDALL( AKA Alexander Kuykendall):. Born 1845.in Butler
County; Died Feb. 28, 1883 in Bowling green, KY Measles.
- Enlisted 1864 July 6-under the name Alex. Height 5 ft. 6-3/4ths. Eyes, hair, complexion black; age 19.
Served in 1008
US Col'd Infantry, Family D. Organized in Louisville,
KY. Attached to 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 23rd Corps, Dept of the Ohio. Served to January 1865
Served in the Military District of KY to May 1866. Garrison and guard duty at various points
in KY until January 1865 and in Department of Mississippi and the Gulf March 1866.
- Displayed on Plaque C-104.
- Application for Army pension by mother, Dilsie.
- Reapplication for Army pension.
- NARA Film #M589 roll 51
- Jesse KUYKENDALL Born about.1847 in Butler County, KY
- Enlisted at age 17 or 18, April 21, 1865 - a farmer boy or laborer.
"A former slave owned by John KUYKENDALL
and his family".
- Unit 12 USCHA:. Rank in: Private; Rank out: Private; Family D;
AKA Jesse Kirkendall 12th REGIMENT HEAVY ARTILLERY Organized at Camp Nelson, KY July 20, 1864.
to January 1865 attached to 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, District of Kentucky, Dept. of the Ohio.
- Military District of KY and Dept. of KY: Garrison duty at Bowling Green, Camp Nelson.
- Died on or about 10th of July 1866 from smallpox contracted while in the service.
- Displayed as Jesse Kirkendall on Plaque B-26.
- Betty's Father
- Records House of Representatives State of Indiana
- Death certificate
James Sherman HUNTER.
- Born May 30, 1898 in Harvey, Louisiana
- Married Maude CAHN in St Bernard Parish, August, 12, 1922
- Died: September 13, 1965, East Chicago, Indiana
Please let us know any family history of interest to you: