Articles of Incorporation of
Brandywine Crucible, Inc.
We the undersigned natural persons, at least two (2) of whom are citizens of the State of Texas, and who are of the age of eighteen (18) years or more acting as incorporators of a corporation under the Texas Non-Profit Corporation Act, do hereby adopt the following Articles of Incorporation for such corporation:
The name of this corporation is Brandywine Crucible, INC.
The Corporation is a non-profit corporation.
The period of its duration is perpetual.
The purposes for which the corporation is organized are:
1. To chronicle the contributions of the Brandywine Crucible and its importance to the development of America. The Brandywine Valley, which tied Pennsylvania and Delaware together, was an important early catalyst in the American "melting pot. The area produced many of the builders of the nation. From the hybrid vigor of these several nations and cultures poured an amazing outflow of abilities and talents. From it came presidents, rail-splitters, governors, gun-slingers, senators, sodbusters, congressmen, cowboys and people who pioneered in all 50 of the United States which followed. To discover, preserve and promulgate the history and the heritage of the people of the Brandywine Crucible and their impact upon America. To erect and cause to be erected historic markers, restoration and preservation of historic cemeteries, publishing books or pamphlets, operating electronic databases, sponsoring lectures, research conferences, reunions, field trips and similar meetings devoted to the understanding of the significance to this nation of the Brandywine Crucible and its people. To publish in print and electronic media historical articles and narratives and to undertake such other functions consistent with the bylaws that will enhance the discovery, preservation, and appreciation of the history of the people of Brandywine Valley and their progeny.
2. The general purposes and powers are to have and exercise all rights and powers conferred on non-profit corporations under the laws of the State of Texas, or which may hereinafter be conferred under the laws of the State of Texas, including all acts necessary or expedient for the administration of the affairs and attainment of the purposes of this corporation.
3. Notwithstanding any of the above statements of purposes and powers, this corporation shall not, except to an insubstantial degree, engage in any activities or exercise any powers that are not in the furtherance of the primary purpose of this corporation.
4. This corporation is organized pursuant to the Texas Non-Profit Corporation Act and does not contemplate pecuniary gain or profit to the members thereof and is organized for non-profit purposes.
5. Upon dissolution of the Corporation, any assets remaining thereafter shall be conveyed to such organizations as shall be selected by the affirmative vote of a majority of the members, provided however that such organizations shall be exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 and no part of such assets shall inure to the benefit of any private member or individual.
The street address of the initial registered office of the corporation is 254 Old Spring Lane, Houston, TX 77015-2042 and the name of the initial registered agent is Lester E. Sutton.
1. The number of directors constituting the initial board of directors is three, and the names and addresses of the persons who are to serve as the initial directors are:
|Arlee Gowen||5708 Gary Avenue
Lubbock, TX 79413
|Betty Cox Wallace||1606 7th Avenue
Canyon, TX 79015
|William E. Tarry||P. O. Box 627
Lordsburg, NM 88045
2. A director or directors of the corporation is not liable to the corporation or its members for monetary damages for an act or omission in the directors capacity as a director, except as otherwise provided by the laws of the State of Texas.
|Joe Burton Cox Jr.||800 Franklin Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666
|Lester E. Sutton||254 Old Spring, Lane
Houston, TX 77015-2042
|Wendell Scott Cox||1117 Cedar Creek Drive
Belton, TX 76513
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, we have hereunto set our hands, this 30th day of May, 1998.