See “A Map of the Barony of Cremorne”, drawn from the General Survey of the County Monaghan, made in the years 1790, 1791, 1792 & 1793 by Wm McCrea.
The name Mullaghbreakey appears in the lower left hand corner of this old map. It is located immediately above, i.e. north of, the western part of Lough Sillen. Mullaghard is just above Mullaghbreakey. The village of Shercock is situated just south of the eastern extremity of Lough Sillen and all are in the eastern part of County Cavan.
A search of the Ordnance Survey Maps for County Cavan, 6 inches to 1 mile, Edition of 1913, showed that Sillen was then, in 1913, spelled Sillan and Mullaghbreakey was the townland of Mullybrack. Mullybrack is shown to be immediately above the western part of Lough Sillan in the very place one would expect to find Mullaghbreakey. Moreover, Mullaghard is now the townland of Mullaghard. The spelling of the name had not been changed. It is situated immediately north of Mullybrack (Mullaghbreakey) where one would expect to find it. The two townlands share a common border. See Sheet 23, Ordnance Survey Map (Ireland), 6 inches to 1 mile, Edition of 1913, Co. Cavan.
What Breakey was commemorated with the place name Mullaghbreakey? Mullagh
appears again and again in Irish place names. What does it mean? When was Mullaghbreakey changed to Mullybrack? What was the motivation? The answers to these questions would provide the basis for an interesting story.
Edward P. Breakey, PhD
Since writing the above, this definition of “Mullagh” was found in the book, “The Life of Saint Columba (Columb-kille) A.D. 521-597” by Saint Adamnan A.D. 679-704, newly translated from the Latin with notes and illustrations by Wentworth Huyshe.” Published by George Routledge & Sons, Ltd., London, December 1905. Second Impression, April, 1908.
On page 90, under the heading “The Convention of the Kings at the Ridge of Ceatt”, this statement is made: The Convention was held in A.D. 575 at Drum Ceate, a long mound now known as the Mullagh, or “Daisy Hill’, near Newtownlimavaddy, in Co. Londonderry.
E. P. B.
See also Sheet 23, County Cavan, Ordnance Survey (Ireland), 6 inches to 1 mile, Edition of 1913. The 400 foot contour line of the map of Mullybrack delineates just such a long mound or mullagh.
E. P. B.
Transcriber’s note: punctuation and grammar are as they appear in the original document.