This descendant listing has been shared by Darrell Burchett. If you have additions or corrections, please email Darrell Burchett.
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN BURCHETT1 was born 1761 in Lunesburg County ,Virgina, and died March 11, 1834 in Clinton County,Kentucky. He met (1) SARAH SALLY COPPER. She was born 1775 in Cumberland County, Virginia, and died 1844. He married (2) KEZIAH BARTLETT 1780 in Virginia.
Notes for JOHN BURCHETT
Early Times In Clinton Co, Vol I by Jack Ferguson
John Burchett, a Revolutionary War veteran from Lunenburg county, Virginia, came to this county in 1807, settling in the northern part of the county. Mrs. Eva Conner, Albany, Kentucky, said that he lived below Seventy Six Falls, on the north side of Williams creek where it emptied into Indian creek. Born in 1761, in Lunenburg county, he entered Revolutionary service from that county in the spring of 1779 as a drafted militiaman for three months. Immediately after mustering in, his company was attacked by Col. Banastre Tarleton's cavalry and a severe skirmish took place. In 1780 he was again drafted for three months, He married in Lunenburg county(114) and had five children. Several years after the war he moved to Franklin county, Virginia; records in that county show that his land was located "twelve miles south of the courthouse," which would have been toward Henry county; apparently part at least was located in the latter county. Here he lived until moving to Clinton county.
An intriguing mystery surrounds John Burchett at this point, one that family researchers have as yet been unable to resolve. Apparently by the time he had moved to Franklin county, or soon after, he had left, or divorced, his first wife. in his will made in 1833 he mentions "Sally, who lives with me and has done (so) for many years past as my wife"; the wording would suggest a common-law relationship with in turn the implication that he had simply left his first wife, By Sally Burchett he had six more children. lcil Burchett was born in 1796; Burchett's first wife was still living at that time because the Henry county marriage records show that Keziah Burchett-not the father-gave consent for the marriage of her daughter Ailsey to Jacob Agee in 1800. There are several questions at this point for which we have no answers; it is possible that future research may be able to provide those answers.
John Burchett's second group of children came with him to Kentucky. lcil Burchett, the oldest, set" tied on a farm near Cartwright.
An older brother of John, William Burchett, born in 1754, also served in the Virginia Troops during the Revolution and later came to Clinton county. It is not known definitely where he settled but it was somewhere on Indian creek. Later land deeds place him in that locality.(117)
(114) His first wife was named Keziah; from the fact that one of her
sons was named Bartlett it has been speculated that that was her maiden
(115) In his will John Burchett bequeathed to the children of his first wife "many years ago provided for" 'mv tract of land lying on Reed creek in Henry county, Virginia."
(116) Notably Mrs. Lloyd C. (Marilyn) McCluen, Rockwood, Tennessee, who has done voluminous research on the Burchett family.
(117) John Burchett purchased 50 acres from John Cape on Indian creek July 29, 1829. He sold this tract to Hardin Williams September 9, 1837.
(118) A deed in Lunenburg county, Virginia, states that Young Burchett's
land was patented by his tather. Benjamin Burchett However the identification
of John and William Burchett as brothers of Young Burchett and sons of
Benjamin Burchett is only ten-tative only circumstantial evidence supports
that identification. The will of Benjamin Burchett, filed February 14,
1788 names William Burchett and "other children." It names as executors
William Burchett, John Burchett, and William Scott It is probable that
the latter two are the William and John Burchett who came to Clinton county
(119) The surname Bartlett is not definite; it is assumed from the fact that one son was so named.
(120) Bartlett Burchett did not come to Clinton county with his father
but remained in Virginia with his mother Soon after his marriage he moved
to Pulaski county, Kentucky, where his name appears on the tax lists from
1815 through 1833. About 1834 he moved to this county; the tax records
show him with 40 acres on Indian creek in 1837. He remained on the tax
lists up to 1857; this may be the date of his death His wife Nancy died
prior to the 1860 Census.
Before 1820 Keziah Burchett with her daughter Hannah and her husband moved to Robertson county, Tennessee. Young Burchett is also listed on the Robertson county census for 1830. Jacob Agee, husband of Ailsey Burchett, probably settled in Wayne county, in or near the present Clinton county. He is listed on the 1820 Census as Jacob "Edge." He was on the Robertson county, Tennessee census for 1830.
(121) "John Burchett and Some of His Descendents" - Lucille Thomas Scott, 1980, National Printing, Inc., Melbourne, Florida, from which much of this Burchett data is derived, gives this date as August 16.
(122) William Burchett married Catherine Holsapple, daughter of Jacob and Nancy Holsapple, and moved to Missouri (123) Elizabeth
Miller is thought to have been a sister of Martin Miller.
(124) George W. Burchett moved to Missouri about 1858
More About JOHN BURCHETT
Burial: Hickory Ridge Section Grider Cem Clinton Co,Ky
Children of JOHN and SARAH COPPER are:
2. i. ICEL S2 BURCHETT, b. 1796; d. 1864, Clinton County,Kentucky.
ii. PATSY BURCHETT, b. January 22, 1798, Lunesburg County ,Virginia.
3. iii. JOHN SWAN BURCHETT JR, b. 1801, Franklin County, Virginia; d. 1878.
iv. PETER BURCHETT, b. 1802; m. MILDRED MAY CLARK.
v. POLLY BURCHETT, b. 1807; m. WILSON L JONES.
vi. SARAH BURCHETT, b. 1816; m. ANDERSON CHAPMAN.
Children of JOHN and KEZIAH BARTLETT are:
vii. WILLIAM2 BURCHETT, b. 1781.
viii. BARTLETT BURCHETT, b. 1782; m. NANCEY MOLEN, June 08, 1813.
ix. HANNAH BURCHETT, b. 1783; m. THOMAS STANLEY, January 07, 1908.
x. AILSEY BURCHETT, b. 1784; m. JACOB AGEE, April 28, 1800.
Generation No. 2
2. ICEL S2 BURCHETT (JOHN BURCHETT1) was born 1796, and died 1864 in Clinton County,Kentucky. He married ELIZABETH HENRY August 16, 1816. She was born July 23, 1801.
Children of ICEL BURCHETT and ELIZABETH HENRY are:
i. LUCRETIA3 BURCHETT, b. 1819.
ii. EMMALINE LUCINDA BURCHETT, b. 1898.
iii. JOHN CALVIN BURCHETT, b. September 07, 1823.
iv. WILLIAM BURCHETT, b. November 28, 1825.
v. FRANKLIN BURCHETT, b. 1828.
vi. MARY ANN POLLY BURCHETT, b. April 06, 1830.
vii. GRANVILLE BURCHETT, b. 1833.
viii. RICHARD A BURCHETT, b. 1836.
ix. MARINTHIA E BURCHETT, b. August 19, 1838.
x. AMELIA DORCAS BURCHETT, b. 1841.
xi. COOPER BURCHETT, b. 1844.
3. JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 (JOHN BURCHETT) was born 1801 in Franklin County, Virginia, and died 1878. He married ELIZABETH MILLER 1823. She was born 1802 in North Carolina, and died 1880.
Notes for ELIZABETH MILLER:
Martin Miller, his daughter Jane H. b. 17 Apr. 1830-died 17
Aug.,1805, married Lewis Wiley Duvall, Sept. 1844, had eight children. Her
mother was Nancy M. Perry.
Martin Miller was a Tax Commisioner in Clinton Co.
Children of JOHN and ELIZABETH MILLER are:
i. MINERVA3 BURCHETT, b. 1823.
ii. MARTHA BURCHETT, b. 1826.
4. iii. WILLIAM BURCHETT, b. February 16, 1828, Clinton County,Kentucky; d. July 20, 1911.
iv. JAMES T BURCHETT, b. 1830.
v. SARAH BURCHETT, b. 1832.
vi. GEORGE W BURCHETT, b. 1834; m. NACY HYDEN.
More About GEORGE W BURCHETT:
Moved: 1858, Missoui
vii. JOHN BURCHETT, b. August 02, 1837; d. October 11, 1916; m. SUSAN ANN HUDSON, April 28, 1870, Clinton County, Kentucky; b. 1854; d. March 02, 1945.
Notes for JOHN BURCHETT:
Served during the Civil War in Company C, 1st Kentucky Calvary (Union)
John Enrolled July 27,1861 at Albany,Ky entered service at Camp Dick Robinson
Mustered in Oct 28,1861 and mustered out Dec 31, 1864
viii. TEMPY BURCHETT, b. 1839.
ix. FRANCIS BURCHETT, b. 1842.
x. MILTON BURCHETT, b. 1843.
xi. NANCY BURCHETT, b. 1845.
Generation No. 3
4. WILLIAM3 BURCHETT (JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) was born February 16, 1828 in Clinton County,Kentucky, and died July 20, 1911. He married NANCY MALINDA BROWN June 16, 1852 in Clinton County,Ky, daughter of THOMAS BROWN and SARAH. She was born January 21, 1828 in Clinton County,Kentucky, and died April 02, 1901.
Notes for NANCY MALINDA BROWN:
Nancy's Siblings are Mary Brown abt. 1830 Dorcas Brown abt. 1832 John Brown abt. 1834
Rilla Brown abt. 1835 Sarah Brown abt. 1836 Margarett Brown abt.1841
Milly Brown abt. 1844 all born in Clinton County,Ky
More About NANCY MALINDA BROWN:
Burial: Pine grove Cemetery
Children of WILLIAM BURCHETT and NANCY BROWN are:
5. i. JOHN THOMAS4 BURCHETT, b. April 02, 1853, Clinton County,Kentucky; d. March 05, 1917.
ii. WILLIAM H BURCHETT, b. January 01, 1855.
6. iii. RUEBEN R BURCHETT, b. September 1857, Clinton County,Kentucky; d. November 30, 1933, Freys creek ,Casey County,Kentucky.
iv. MARTIN MILLER BURCHETT, b. November 19, 1859; d. October 17, 1928.
v. SARAH J BURCHETT, b. 1860.
vi. SARILDA JANE BURCHETT, b. February 03, 1862, Clinton County,Kentucky; d. August 25, 1933; m. JAMES ALFORD.
vii. LEWIS H BURCHETT, b. January 1864, 1945.
viii. AARON S BURCHETT, b. December 12, 1867, Clinton County,Kentucky; d. July 19, 1933; m. EDNA WALLEN.
ix. SABINA E BURCHETT, b. 1870.
x. NANCY BURCHETT, b. 1871.
xi. ACY M BURCHETT, b. October 21, 1865, Clinton County,Kentucky.
Generation No. 4
5. JOHN THOMAS4 BURCHETT (WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN
BURCHETT1 SR) was born April 02, 1853 in Clinton County,Kentucky, and died
March 05, 1917. He married (1) BETTY BETHUNE CARTER March 27, 1874.
He married (2) NANNIE M. YORK February 07, 1881. He married
(3) EMMA J. LEWIS March 07, 1889. She was born April 14, 1868, and
died March 13, 1926.
Children of JOHN BURCHETT and BETTY CARTER are:
i. BERTIE5 BURCHETT, b. December 02, 1874.
ii. LENNIE NEVADA BURCHETT, b. April 29, 1876.
iii. WILLIAM H BURCHETT, b. January 02, 1878.
Children of JOHN BURCHETT and NANNIE YORK are:
iv. LEO VERNON5 BURCHETT, b. November 19, 1881.
v. JOHNNY BURCHETT, b. 1883.
vi. LEWIS BURCHETT, b. 1886.
Children of JOHN BURCHETT and EMMA LEWIS are:
vii. MOLLIE5 BURCHETT, b. December 14, 1889.
viii. MINNIE EVELINE BURCHETT, b. December 25, 1891.
ix. MYRTA ANN BURCHETT, b. August 09, 1893.
x. MARY MAUD BURCHETT, b. March 27, 1898.
xi. OTIS BURCHETT, b. February 27, 1901.
7. xii. JOE RYNE BURCHETT, b. March 28, 1903.
xiii. JAMES GAYTHER BURCHETT, b. April 28, 1905.
xiv. STELLA MAY BURCHETT, b. May 08, 1907.
6. RUEBEN R4 BURCHETT (WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) was born September 1857 in Clinton County,Kentucky, and died November 30, 1933 in Freys creek ,Casey County,Kentucky. He married JOSEPHINE DAKOTA NEAL March 15, 1877 in Rowena, Russell County,Kentucky, daughter of WILLIAM NEAL and MILLIE FUQUA. She was born 1862 in Clinton County,Kentucky, and died 1929 in Clinton County,Kentucky.
Notes for RUEBEN R BURCHETT:
Rueben Burchett was Buried at Rowena Cemetery Pine Grove
Reuben, Josephine,Alva Burchett were re interred at Beech Grove Cem.in
Warriner Government Cem in Long Bottom,Ky
After the government purchaced 56,000 acres for a lake,84 cemetarys had to be relocated ,this is the case of Reuben. ,his wife and daughter
It is called Lake Cumberland., two large Cemeterys were exposed in 1980 when Wolf Creek dam cracked . it was the Burchett or Weston cemetery
More About RUEBEN R BURCHETT:
Burial: 1933, Pine grove Cemetery
Notes for JOSEPHINE DAKOTA NEAL:
Josephine Burchett was Buried at Rowena Cemetry Pine Grove
Children of RUEBEN BURCHETT and JOSEPHINE NEAL are:
i. LENORA5 BURCHETT, b. 1878; m. EZEKIAL HALL, October 25, 1899.
ii. FROSIE BURCHETT.
iii. EDWARD D BURCHETT, b. 1884; m. NORA BELL, June 08, 1910.
iv. JAMES GARFIELD BURCHETT, b. 1886, Clinton County,Kentucky.
v. OLLIE J BURCHETT, b. 1891.
vi. ALVA S BURCHETT, b. 1894.
8. vii. SAMUEL BURCHETT, b. November 30, 1899, Clinton County, Kentucky; d. September 19, 1963, Casey County,Kentucky.
viii. STANLEY BURCHETT, b. February 14, 1906, r, Kentucky; d. July 26, 1976, Montpilier, Kentucky; m. JEWELL HICKS, June 16, 1934; d. June 03, 1982.
Notes for STANLEY BURCHETT:
No children came from this marriage
9. ix. RAY BURCHETT, b. April 15, 1909, Clinton County,Kentucky; d. March 1981, Alamo,Indiana.
Generation No. 5
7. JOE RYNE5 BURCHETT (JOHN THOMAS4, WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2
JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) was born March 28, 1903. He married SALLY
BOOHER. She was born February 04, 1902, and died November 29, 1979.
Children of JOE BURCHETT and SALLY BOOHER are:
i. KNOX RYAN6 BURCHETT, b. October 24, 1933; m. MIKAL ANN PRESTON.
ii. TROY BURCHETT, b. February 09, 1939; m. DOLLIE MARIE GROUT.
8. SAMUEL5 BURCHETT (RUEBEN R4, WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) was born November 30, 1899 in Clinton County, Kentucky, and died September 19, 1963 in Casey County, ,Kentucky. He married ARLIE SUSAN HOLT 1927. She was born May 17, 1914.
Notes for SAMUEL BURCHETT:
Attended Indian Creek School in Ucum Between Planting and Harvest Seasons
Also Ran Kidds Store located in Casey County
More About SAMUEL BURCHETT:
Burial: May Cemetery, Casey County, Ky
Children of SAMUEL BURCHETT and ARLIE HOLT are:
i. IVA6 BURCHETT, b. August 28, 1928; d. April 13, 1994.
ii. LUCILLE BURCHETT, b. March 02, 1930.
iii. JOSIE ELIZABETH BURCHETT, b. September 01, 1934.
iv. SADIE PEARL BURCHETT, b. January 31, 1932; d. April 09, 1995.
v. JEWELL CATHERINE BURCHETT, b. February 10, 1936.
vi. PINEY BEATRICE BURCHETT, b. December 28, 1937.
vii. NAOMI MAE BURCHETT, b. October 07, 1939.
viii. WILLAIM REUBEN BURCHETT, b. August 12, 1941.
ix. JAMES CURTIS BURCHETT, b. May 08, 1943.
x. BUFORD RAY BURCHETT, b. July 29, 1945; d. July 28, 1974.
xi. GARNETT LEE BURCHETT, b. July 13, 1947.
xii. ROGER DALE BURCHETT, b. May 01, 1949; d. July 1950.
xiii. GEORGIA CHRISTINE BURCHETT, b. July 13, 1950; d. February 1951.
xiv. PAMELA KAYE BURCHETT, b. April 26, 1952.
9. RAY5 BURCHETT (RUEBEN R4, WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR,
JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) was born April 15, 1909 in Clinton County,Kentucky,
and died March 1981 in Alamo,Indiana. He married LULA COOMER.
She was born August 29, 1909, and died June 30, 1995.
Children of RAY BURCHETT and LULA COOMER are:
10. i. GEORGE ELMER6 BURCHETT, b. August 29, 1929, Monticello, Wayne Co. KY; d. September 19, 1965, South Vietnam.
ii. HAZEL MARIE BURCHETT, .
iii. DONALD DEAN BURCHETT, b. March 20, 1944.
11. iv. DALLAS RAY BURCHETT.
Generation No. 6
10. GEORGE ELMER6 BURCHETT (RAY5, RUEBEN R4, WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) was born August 29, 1929 in Monticello, Wayne Co. KY, and died September 19, 1965 in South Vietnam. He married VIRGINIA SIMPSON.
Notes for GEORGE ELMER BURCHETT:
George Burchett born in Monticello, Wayne Co. KY
SSG George Burchett died during Operation Gibralter on September 18, 1965 near An Ninh, Binh Dinh Province, II Corps, South Vietnam
Served with 1st Brigade (Separate) HHC 2/502 Inf 101ST AirBorne Divison
Battle of An Ninh
1 BDE 101 ABN - US Army unit
1 CAV -US Army unit
2/502 ABN -US Army unit
2/320 ARTY - US Army unit
Primary service involved, US Army
Binh Dinh Province, II Corps, South Vietnam
Location, An Ninh
Description: At 0700H, 26 Army UH-1D, UH-1B, and Marine UH-34Ds landed all of
C/2/502d and part of B/2/502d Airborne near the village of An Ninh, 14Ks north
of Route 19. These 224 paratroopers were landed almost on top of a VC main force
unit. Two helicopters were shot down in the first wave. Only part of the second
wave got in. Only 36 mem from the third wave were landed 400 yards to the south
which had three helicopters shot down. The 2/320th Artillery could not move its
105mm guns into supporting position because of muddy roads. It wasn't until the
evening that 1st Cav CH-47s moved some of their guns. Until that time nine
UH-1Bs and tactical air were the only support available for the ground troops.
By early the next morning, the supporting arms were in place and more infantry
He is buried in Bloomington,Ill were his family still lives today
Children of GEORGE BURCHETT and VIRGINIA SIMPSON are:
i. GEORGINA7 BURCHETT.
ii. JAMES BURCHETT.
11. DALLAS RAY6 BURCHETT (RAY5, RUEBEN R4, WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN
BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) He married BETTY KATHYERN RICHARDS.
Children of DALLAS BURCHETT and BETTY RICHARDS are:
12. i. DARRELL WAYNE7 BURCHETT,
13. ii. CARLOS RAY BURCHETT,
iii. PHILLIP DOUGLAS BURCHETT,
14. iv. TERRY LOUISE BURCHETT
Generation No. 7
12. DARRELL WAYNE7 BURCHETT (DALLAS RAY6, RAY5, RUEBEN R4, WILLIAM3, JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR) married VICTORIA LEE HEDIGER , daughter of RONALD HIEDGER and FRANCES KRUCZYNSKI..
Children of DARRELL BURCHETT and VICTORIA HEDIGER are:
i. MALISSA KATHERYRN8 BURCHETT
ii. JAMES DARRELL BURCHETT
iii. CHASTENE FRANCES BURCHETT
13. CARLOS RAY7 BURCHETT (DALLAS RAY6, RAY5, RUEBEN R4, WILLIAM3,
JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR). He married CATHY SUE
Child of CARLOS BURCHETT and CATHY DOWELL is:
i. DAVID LEE8 BURCHETT,.
14. TERRY LOUISE7 BURCHETT (DALLAS RAY6, RAY5, RUEBEN R4, WILLIAM3,
JOHN SWAN BURCHETT2 JR, JOHN BURCHETT1 SR). She married RONNIE VANBIBBER.
Children of TERRY BURCHETT and RONNIE VANBIBBER are:
i. EVEN COLE8 VANBIBBER
ii. RYAN ADAM VANBIBBER
1. 1810 Cumberland County ,Kentucky census
2. 1820 Cumberland County ,Kentucky census
3. 1830 Cumberland County ,Kentucky census
4. 1840 Clinton County ,Kentucky census
5. 1850 Clinton County ,Kentucky census
6. 1860 Clinton County ,Kentucky census
7. 1870 Clinton County ,Kentucky census
8. 1880 Clinton County ,Kentucky Partital census the 1880 census records were destroyed in a fire. Reconstruction of the records came from veteran records
9. Mitchell Scott, Lexington,Ky –Burchett researcher
10. Lunesburgs County, Virginia Tithes Records
11. James and Kathy Bridges – Burchett from Missouri
12. Early Times In Clinton Co, Vol I by Jack Ferguson
13. Kentucky Land Grants
14. Kentucky marraige records 1728-1840
15. Rock of Ages by Gary D Norris
16. 1900 Russell County Ky census
17. 1910 Russell County Ky census
18. 1920 Russell County Ky census
19. Information from Ronald W Engdahl Genealogy
20. Josie Burchett Goins- verbal family history
Compiled by Darrell Burchett 8/20/00