374 South 500 West
Bountiful, Utah 84010
Directions: From I-15 take the Bountiful 500 South exit and turn east. At 500 West, turn left (north) and go 1/4 block. The cemetery is located between David Early Tire and Bountiful Family Cleaners on the west side of the road.
|Owner||Daniel L. Wood Family c/o Streeper Wood and Daniel F. Wood
254 W. 2300 South, Bountiful, Utah 84010.
Owner's phone: (801) 295-7215
|Acreage||3 rods (1/4 acre)|
|Date Established||August 27, 1858|
|Last Burial||November 15, 1916|
|Cemetery Age||140 Years|
|Comment||The iron fence surrounding the cemetery was handmade by Daniel Wood's son, Joseph Cotton Wood. It was completed in 1893 in Daniel's blacksmith shop.|
History: The Daniel Wood Cemetery, once called "Nathan's Burial Ground," is one of the oldest burial plots in Bountiful and Davis County.
The cemetery was marked off as a Daniel Wood Family burial ground on 27 August 1858 at the time of the accidental death of Nathan Wood, son of Daniel and Emma E. (Crowl) Wood. Nathan was born 9 December 1857 at Salt Lake, and was living with his parents on the Wood farm. He fell from the farm wagon and was instantly killed on 27 August 1858.
Daniel Wood landed in Salt Lake Valley on 23 July 1848 as a captain of wagons in the 3rd Company of Emigrants. With him were his wives, Mary (Snyder) Wood, their daughter Rebecca (Wood) Moss, born 11 May 1826 in Loborough, Canada, and her husband John Moss, whom she married in early part of 1844 at Pike County, Illinois. Also with them were John and Rebecca's two children, Mary, born at Pike Co., Illinois in winter of 1844 and a son, Daniel, born enroute west at Potawatamie County, Iowa. Also Daniel and Mary's son, John Wood, born 10 Apr 1830 at Loborough, Sydenham, Canada; daughters, Harriett, born 21 December 1834 at Gibogar County, Ohio, and Elizabeth, born 20 December 1839 at Brown County, Illinois; a son, Henry, born 9 June 1828 in Canada, died and was buried at Nauvoo in winter of 1845. They had also buried twin infant daughters, Mary and Catherine, born August 1842 at Pike County, Illinois, and buried at Pike County soon after birth.
Also in the Company was Peninah Shropshire (Cotton) Wood, second wife of Daniel, whom he married in the Nauvoo Temple on 21 January 1846, and their son, Daniel C. Wood, born 27 January 1847, at Kaynsville, Iowa, thus making in all eleven members of the Daniel Wood Family.
John and Rebecca (Wood) Moss and their two children remained in Great Salt Lake City until the spring of 1849, when they came to what is now South Bountiful, in Woods Cross, but Daniel and wives Mary and Peninah, with their four children, came on to Sessions Settlement, later called North Canyon Ward, and now Bountiful. They spent the winter of 1848 on the land known as the Heber C. Kimball Mill in a place Daniel built with his son John's help. In the spring of 1849, Daniel filed on 120 acres of land at what is now Woods Cross, which name was given this locality in honor of Daniel Wood as the first Railroad came through his farm and the land for Woods Crossings, later Woods Cross, was donated for the station at Woods Cross in May 1869.
Nathan was Daniel's first child to die in the Salt Lake Valley, but his daughter, Harriett, was married to Hiram Yancey 22 November 1853, and their first child, a daughter, Elizabeth, was born in 1855 and died soon after birth and was buried beneath the shade of an apple tree in the southeast corner of Father Daniel's orchard on the Wood Farm. The second child, born to Hiram and Harriett, was a son, John H., born 25 March 1856. Their third child was a son, Parley P. Yancey, born in 1857 and died soon after birth in 1857 and was tenderly laid to rest beside his sister's grave beneath the sheltering apple tree's shade.
Daniel and sons had planted fruit trees each year and now had nearly five acres of orchard on the south and east part of his farm, and in the south and east corner of his orchard were the two small graves of his grandchildren.
At the instance of Nathan's death a plot of ground was marked off three rods square in the east and south corner of the orchard with two small graves therein and on Saturday afternoon, 27 August 1858, the third small grave was made for Nathan Wood, son of Daniel and Emma Mariah (Crowl) (Ellis) Wood, Daniel's third wife. Nathan was born 9 December 1857 and died 27i August 1858 and the third small grave to begin this sacred family resting place. As the family sorrowfully stood around the three small graves, Daniel raised his hands and dedicated the plot marked off as the resting place for all of his family who wished to be place therein and said the plot of ground should be kept as a sacred resting place for himself and family and asked God to protect it and recognize his prayer in Heaven.
In 1849, three Indian orphan children were given to Daniel to support and care for and educate, two girls and a boy, orphans in the Blackhawk War. They were named Lucy, about 7 years old; Mary Utah, about 9 years old; and Thomas, about 8 years old -- he was a cousin to Lucy. These three Lamanite children lived with the Daniel Wood Family and shared equally with the Wood children, mostly supervised by Daniel's wife, Peninah, whose maternal grandmother was Nancy Fulkerson, who was fully blood Lamanite of Cherokee Tribe. The Lamanite children were taught in school as well as in the Gospel and grew up happy, healthy young people. After 8 years with the family they were duly baptized and confirmed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by Daniel, the father, on 16 June 1857. Lucy wrote a tribute to Father Daniel Wood dated January 1860 in gratitude for the loving kindness to her and her people, a copy of which is recorded in the Daniel Wood Record. In the winter of 1860-1861, diphtheria broke out in the settlement and many lives were taken through the dreaded and almost unknown disease, and one was Thomas, the fine 16-year-old Indian young man. He died 30 January 1860 and was buried on the north of the gateway in the Wood Cemetery, making the fifth grave. Soon to follow was the lovely quiet Indian Mary Utah, about 17 years old. Mary died 2 February 1860 and was buried beside Thomas. Lucy, the bright Lamanite girl, died 29 July 1961 and was tenderly laid to sleep beside her kin. She was 15 years old.
On March 1861, a lovely daughter was born to Daniel and Margaret (Morris) Wood, Daniel's 6th wife. They named her Deseret, but she was only permitted to remain a short time. The precious baby departed this life on 1 June 1861 and one more grave was added to the growing number in the family resting place.
Another grandchild of Daniel and Mary's departed this life to make the 9th grave. It was Mary Elizabeth Moyle, the lovely little daughter of James and Elizabeth (Wood) Moyle. Mary Elizabeth was born 5 January 1860 and died 24 October 1863.
The home of John and Clara Amelia Wood was blessed with a daughter born 7 September 1865 and they rejoiced and named her Mary Melvina, but were soon stricken in sorrow. The sweet little flower, Mary Melvina, lived just one year and departed this life on 13 September 1866 and rests beside her brother in the family cemetery.
John and Clara Amelia (Langford) Wood were again blessed with a son, born 28 October 1867 whom they named John, and they again rejoiced, but again were made to sorrow as little John was taken away in death on 16 Jun 1868 and another grave was made in the sacred resting place of Daniel Wood Family. John and Louisa (Langford) Wood, his other wife, were blessed with a precious son 25 April 1869, whom they named Benjamin, but again sorrow came to the home of John and family. Benjamin died 25 July 1869, so short a life's journey with them, and was tenderly buried beside the departed family members.
Eliza Hunsey (Langford) Wood, widow of William Langford, emigrated to Utah with her three children, two daughters, Clara Amelia, born 5 November 1836, at Pinfin, Worchestershire, England, and Louisa, born 8 July 1845, and son Henry Langford, born 1840 at Penfin, Worcestershire, England. Mother Eliza married Daniel for this life on 24 May 1859. Henry Langford was drowned in the Jordan River, trying to rescue George Knighton, on Friday 13 May 1870. his funeral was held in the Daniel Wood Family Meeting House on Sunday 15 May 1870, and he was buried in the Wood Family Cemetery. His sisters, Clara Amelia and Louisa, were wives of John Wood, son of Daniel and Mary (Snyder) Wood.
A hired man named John Dutch, lived with the Wood family about five years and died while there. He is buried in the northwest part of the Wood Cemetery. Dates of time spent with the family and death are not known.
Mary (Snyder) Wood, Daniel's faithful and beloved first wife, who had borne much and suffered ill health long, but always remained true to the faith and her devoted faithful husband, Daniel, and family, was now in advanced age and became very ill in May of 1873. She knew she was soon to go to her rest and grand reward, but was unafraid and counseled with Daniel, his wives and children, and then departed this life on 7 October 1873. Dear Aunt Mary was tenderly laid to rest in the place she ad chosen, the first of Daniel's wives to be buried in the sacred family resting place. Daniel was never the same after Aunt Mary's death, and grieved deeply, but bravely carried on wit his other wives and large family for many years, a successful, courageous, good Latter-Day Saint.
Diphtheria broke out again in the winter of 1875 and 1876, and many were victims of the terrible disease. Among the many settlers taken was little Ira Allen Wood, son of Heber and Clarissa (Allen) Wood, and the grandson of Daniel and Peninah Shropshire (Cotton) Wood. Ira was born 31 January 1875 and died 24 March 1876 and was buried in the sacred family cemetery.
Again in the winter of 1878-1879 the terrible scourge of diphtheria stuck the faithful saints in this new land and again took its toll of deaths, and Peter Cotton Wood and Laurna (Pace) Wood, his wife, were bereft of their family of two beautiful daughters, both taken in one week. The eldest, Peninah Pace Wood was born in 1873 and died 6 November 1878 at 5 years of age, and Launa Wood was born in 1875 and died 6 November 1878 at the age of 3 years. They were buried the same day of death in the Wood Cemetery, leaving Peter and Laurna broken hearted and Laurna very ill, but she recovered and they later moved to Mexico. Peter was the son of Daniel and Peninah S. (Cotton) Wood.
Sorrow was truly multiplied that winter and the next victims of the dreaded diphtheria were two splendid sons of Daniel and Margaret (Morris) Wood. The first taken was David Timothy M. Wood, a fine boy of 12 years; born 26 September 1866 and died 3 November 1878, buried the same day. The next was Hyrum M. Wood, son of Daniel and Margaret. Hyrum was born 29 October 1862 and died 8 November 1878, just 5 days after his brother David Timothy. Hyrum was a promising young man of 16 years and the passing of their two splendid sons was another saw blow to Daniel and Margaret of the Wood family. They were buried side by side west of Aunt Mary's grave and beside little Deseret's grave.
Walter Wood was the son of Nephi and Myra Arvila (Henrie) Wood, grandson of John and Clara Amelia and great grandson of Daniel and Mary (Snyder) Wood. Walter's tragic death was caused through his standing up on the farm wagon while the horses were traveling and he fell from the back of the wagon, breaking his neck. He died almost instantly. Walter was born 9 January 1874, died 18 December 1878, and was buried beside his departed relatives, leaving grief-stricken father, his mother having passed away three years before. This was Daniel's first great grandchild to be numbered among the departed in the little cemetery.
Peninah Shropshire (Cotton) Wood, the faithful, devoted and beloved 2nd wife of Daniel, who crossed the plains with Daniel and Mary, tenderly nursing the family and Aunt Mary in very poor health, quiet and unassuming, but true to her faith, became ill in the winter of 1878. She was aware of a serious illness which was not usually cured. Much tender care was given her and in spite of all that kind hands could do, Peninah grew steadily worse through the winter of 1878 and spring 1879, growing weaker in body but strong in spirit and the Gospel, until death took her away and she was called to her grand reward. Peninah Shropshire (Cotton) Wood was born 12 Mar 1827 and was married to Daniel Wood as his second wife in the Nauvoo Temple four months before it was dedicated. They were married for time all eternity on 27 January 1946. She died 28 May 1879 and was buried 30 May 1879 at the sacred family cemetery.
Peninah's youngest child, a son, was soon to follow her in death, as diphtheria raged again in the winter of 1879. On Christmas Day, 25 December 1879, at the age of 11, Caleb Joshua C. Wood, son of Daniel and Peninah S. (Cotton) Wood was called home to spend the blessed day with his angel mother and receive his rewards. Caleb Joshua Cotton Wood was born 6 September 1868.
On 25 July 1880, tragedy struck the home of John Wood, son of Daniel and Mary S. Wood. John's wife, Clara Amelia, gave birth to a sweet daughter and in a very few minutes passed to the great beyond to receive her reward. The baby was blessed and named Louisa and joined her mother in death the same evening, and Mother Clara Amelia and infant Louisa were buried in one casket, the darling baby Louisa lying on her Angel Mother's arm. Clara Amelia (Langford) Wood was born 5 November 1836 and died 25 July 1880. Louisa Wood was born 25 July 1836, and died that night. Both were buried in the Wood Family Cemetery.
Eliza (Langford) Wood, wife of Daniel, was born in England on 18 April 1809, died 3 November 1881, and was tenderly laid to rest in the family resting place.
After effects of the dreaded diphtheria took its toll of the survivors, who often suffered many after ills, and in 1882 Daniel and Margaret M. Wood and family were again called to mourn at the death of their lovely daughter, Mary Margaret, who had developed a heart ailment. Mary Margaret Morris Wood was born 27 November 1864 and died 12 March 1882, a lovely young lady of 18 years, which was a terrible sorrow for her parents and family. She was laid to rest beside her kindred dead and the little cemetery and another new grave.
Emma Mariah Crowl (Ellis) Wood, beloved and faithful 3rd wife of Daniel, and his private family school's first teacher, an English convert of 1851, accepted plural marriage and became Daniel's 3rd wife. She was born in Plymouth, England, 12 July 1824, died 23 September 1888 and was tenderly, lovingly laid to rest in the little Wood Cemetery. She was a true wife, a faithful, loving mother of six children, a true Latter-Day Saint, beloved by all.
Mariah Wood, wife of Daniel Wood, died 20 September 1889 at Woods Cross and was buried in the family Wood Cemetery.
Daniel had lived a long, faithful, good life, true to his God as he understood, a devoted husband and father, and a true friend to his fellow men. He had built his home well, his family school, and meeting house, raised a large family of splendid sons and daughters, and had lived to see his great-grandchildren, but as all eventually pass, his health began to fail and he grew tired, taking to his bed much of the time. In his 92nd year, he departed to his grand reward. Daniel Wood was born 16 October 1800 at Duchess County, New York, was taken to Canada and lived there and joined the L.D.S. Church there, came to the U.S. (Kirtland) in 1834; followed the Saints through persecution and trials, came to the Salt Lake Valley 23 July 1848, settled in Woods Cross, where he too up his farm of 120 acres, lived long and well. Daniel Wood died 25 April 1892 and was buried beside his beloved wife, Mary, in the place he had chosen in his Family Cemetery.
The next to follow in this grand procession home was Louisa (Langford) Wood, tender loving wife of John Wood, who is the son of Daniel and Mary (Snyder) Wood. Louisa Langford Wood was born 8 July 1845 in Puffin, Worcheshire, England and died 5 January 1901, at Bountiful and was tenderly laid to rest beside her children in the Daniel Wood Cemetery.
John was very lonely, but uncomplaining and faithful to his family, his church and his God to the end of his days. He was born 10 April 1830 at Loborough, Canada, and died 8 August 1908 and was buried bedside his loving and faithful wives and children as he had requested in the Daniel Wood Cemetery.
The last grave to be added to the Daniel Wood burial ground was that of his last remaining faithful, loving wife, Margaret (Morris) Wood, whom Daniel married 2 Mar 1857, a young woman who remained true and faithful through her many sorrows, trials and disappointments, to see her faithful companion and all of his wives, depart. She was true to her trust and passed to her great reward a true Latter-Day Saint. Margaret (Morris) Wood was born 11 September 1838 in England. She died 15 November 1916 at Bountiful, the last surviving wife of Daniel and the last to be taken to rest in the sacred Family Burial Ground.
At the death of Daniel, his family had the monument placed in the cemetery, and in the spring of 1893, the iron fence around the cemetery was designed and built by Joseph Cotton Wood, son of Daniel and Peninah Shropshire (Cotton) Wood.
Thus closes this chapter of the Daniel Wood Cemetery, once called Nathan's Burial Ground, herein lies Daniel, 6 of his wives, 7 children, 10 grandchildren, 1 great grandson, 2 faithful wives of his son John, 3 Lamanite children, 1 hired man, and 1 stepson, making a total of 32 graves.
From History of the Daniel Wood Cemetery, Compiled
by Joseph Wood Naylor
Taken from Daniel Wood Diary
John Wood Diary (son)
Adam Wood Yancey (grandson)
Thanks to Streeper Wood for sharing this information.
Back to the Davis County Cemeteries Homepage
|Davis County Website||Utah Website||The USGenWeb Project|
This page was last updated on 04/19/99 by Annette Nelson.
Please let me know if you find a broken link.