Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

The cabin in the picture above is said to be built by Creeks in the late 18th century;
it shows how the Creeks had adapted to the Whites' method of construction.

 

TOWNS of the UPPER CREEKS
List from Albert James Pickett's "History of Alabama"
as enumerated by Col. Benjamin Hawkins in 1798

to Towns of the Lower Creeks

Tal-e-se derived from Tal-o-fau, a town, and o-se, taken -- situated in the fork of the Eufaubee, upon the left bank of the Tallapoosa.

Took-a-batcha, opposite Tallese, also seen as Tukabatchee (and vars). This was the home of Big Warrior

Auttose, on the opposite side of Tallapoosa, a few miles below the latter

Ho-ith-le-waule -- from h-ithe-le, war, and waule, divide -- right bank of the Tallapoosa, five miles below the Auttose

Foosce-hat-che -- fooso-wau, a bird, and hat-che, tail --two miles below the latter, on the right bank

Coo-loo-me was below and adjoining the latter

E-cun-chate -- e-cun-nau, earth, and hut-ke, white --below Coo-loo-me, on the same side of the Tallapoosa

Sou-van-no-gee, left bank of the river

Mook-lau-sau, a mile below the latter, same side

Coo-sau-dee, three miles below the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa, on the west bank of the Alabama

E-cun-chate -- e-cun-na, earth, chate, red -- (now a 1798 part of the city of Montgomery)

Too-was-sau, three miles below, on the same side of the Alabama

Pau-woe-te, two miles below the latter, on the same side

Au-tau-gee, right side of the Alabama, near the mouth of the creek of the same name. From Pat Opachick: AU LAUGU TOWN was an UPPER CREEK town, which is actually the western Creek Indians. At the time of the 1832 creek Indian census the Upper Towns, the western portion of the tribe, were found on the Coosa and Tallapoosa two main branches of the Alabama River. The majority of the UPPER CREEK towns were migrated in 1836 and settled in the area between the Canadian and the North Fork rivers.

Tus-ke-gee -- in the fork of the Coosa and Tallapoosa, on the east bank of the former -- the old site of forts Toulose and Jackson

Hoochoice and Hookechoie-ooche, towns just above the latter

O-che-a-po-fau-- o-che-ub, hickory tree, and po-fau, in or among --east bank of the Coosa, on the plain just below the city of Wetumpka -- this is where the McGillivrays lived

We-wo-can-- we-can, water, wo-cau, barking or roaring -- on a creek of that name, fifteen miles above the latter

Pu-cun-tal-lau-has-see-- epuc-cun-nau, maapple, tal-lau-has-see, old town -- in the fork of a creek of that name

Coo-sau, on the left bank of that river, between the mouths of Eufaule and Nauche (crreks now called Talladega and Kiamulgee)

Au-be-cho-che, on Nauche creek, five miles from the Coosa

Nauche, on the same creek, five miles above the latter

Eu-fau-lau-hat-che, fifteen miles still higher up on the same creek

Woc-co-coie-- woc-co, blow horn, coie, a nest -- on Tote-pauf-cau Creek

Hill-au-bee, on col-luffa-creek, which joins Hillaubee creek on the right side, one mile below the town

Thla-noo-che-au-bau-lau-- thlen-ne, mountain, ooche, little, au-bau-lau, over --on a branch of the Hillaubee

Au-net-te-chap-co-- au-net-te, swamp, chap-co, long -- on a branch of the Hillaubee

E-chuse-is-li-gau, where a young thing was found (a child was found here) -- left side of Hillaubee creek

Oak-tau-hau-zau-see-- oak-tau-hau, sand, zau-see, great dea -- on a creek of that name, a branch of the Hillaubee

Oc-fus-kee-- oe, in, fus-kee, a point, right bank of the Tallapoosa

New-yau-can, named after New York, when Gen. McGillivray returned from there in 1790, twenty miles above the latter, on the left side of the Tallapoosa

Took-au-batche-tal-lau-has-se, four miles above the latter, right side of the river

In-mook-cau-gee -- too-to, corn-house, cau-gee, standing twenty miles above New-yau-cau, right side of the Tallapoosa

Au-che-nau-ul-gau-- auche-nau, cedar, ul-gau, all --forty miles above New-yau-cau, on a creek. It is the farthest north of all the Creek settelments

E-pe-sau-gee, on a large creek of that name

Sooc-he-ah -- sooc-cau, hog, he-ah, here -- right bank of the Tallapoosa, twelve miles above Oc-gus-gee

Eu-fau-lau, five miles above Oc-fus-kee, right bank of the river

Ki-a-li-jee, on the creek of that name, which joins the Tallapoosa on the right side

Au-che-nau-hat-che -- au-che, cedar, hat-che, creek

Hat-che-chub-bau-- hat-che, creek, chub-bau, middle or half way

Sou-go-hat-che-- sou-go, cymbal (musical instrument), hat-che, creek --joins the Tallapoosa on the left side

Thlot-lo-gul-gau-- thlot-lo, fish, gul-gau, all -- called by traders "Fish Ponds" on a creek, a branch of the Ul-hau-hat-che (see Chris Clark's piece on this town and his remarks on Hannah Hale and Mad Far Off Warrior, who lived there)

O-pil-thluc-co-- o-pil-lo-wau, swamp, thlucco, big --twenty miles from the Coosa, a creek of that name

Pin-e-hoo-te -- pin-e-wau, turkey, choo-te, house -- a branch of the E-pee-sau-gee

Po-cchuse-hat-che-- po-chu-so-wau, hatchet, hat-che, creek -- (in Coosa country)

Oc-fus-coo-che, little ocfuskee, four miles above New-yau-cau


to Among The Creeks

back to Heritage of the South