New Links since 20 February 2000: (most recent added link at top)
- December 1, 2001: Black Week
Program news from Partners in Motion for the Canada History Channel. In their series "Disasters of the Century" the 2nd Episode ("Black Week") will have a featuring part for the last trip of the Volturno.
Disasters of the Century is a non-fiction series that reviews the greatest disasters of the last century and is currently in production. The series is anticipated to begin airing in January 2002, and is being produced in English and French.
- December 1, 2001: On Signals and Wireless
British activities prior to and during World War One on the use of radio on ships.
- December 1, 2001: The Burning of the Volturno
In print Back Issue of The Titanic Commutator, 1995 #4
- December 1, 2001: The Volturno
Description and photoes at the Royal Mail Steamship Titanic History site
- December 1, 2001: By Way of Canada:
U.S. Records of Immigration across the U.S.-Canadian Border, 1895-1954 (St. Albans Lists). Article by Marian L. Smith
- June 22, 2001: Die Rettungsaktion der "Volturno" (Page in German about the rescue operation of the Volturno)
It describes in short the events and focusses on the use of the wireless between the rescuing ships and Volturno about ways to rescue the passengers. When Captain Barr of the Carmania asked by wire whether an oil ship was nearby, the Narrangansett reacted. The captain was asked when the ship could arrive and he replied: "Yes, we’ll come with the milk in the morning". Barr asked if he could not make it one hour sooner, and the Narrangansett replied that they would rush. Still it took them 17 hours to arrive.
- June 22, 2001: Wreck of the Volturno: Text of resolution of March 19, 1914 by US Congress to award captain Kreibohm and the crew of the Kroonland.
Congressional Gold Medals 1776-1999: PDF File (use the free Acrobat Reader to read this text) for further details on the Kroonland awards.
The fact is also mentioned at http://www.geocities.com/north_miami_history/vol3num4jan01a.html, which also has a photo of the Kroonland.
- June 22, 2001: Guglielmo Marconi (page in Italian)
It mentions the violent fire on board of the Volturno, the SOS picked up by rescuing ships, Narrangansett putting its load of oil onto the violent waves, and that in 1913 thousand ships had the wireless.
- June 22, 2001: Rarenewspapers.com
DETROIT NEWS, Oct. 11, 1913. Dramatic front page with banner head: "LINER BURNS: 136 DIE; 521 SAVED" on the ship 'Volturno' which was swept in flames. Related subheads and a large illustration of the ship in peril.
- June 22, 2001: Life Saving Awards Research Society (LSARS)
Volturno: Fire at Sea; Indexes: Journal Nr. 6, p.48 and Journal Nr. 15 p.59
- June 22, 2001: 9 Oct 1913: Atlantic: Emigrant ship Volturno catches fire.
- June 22, 2001: US Supreme Court: O'HARA v. LUCKENBACH S. S. CO., 269 U.S. 364 (1926)
Mentions: "But it is apparent, from the hearings and debates, that Congress looked forward to the possibility of other disasters like [...] the Volturno (the facts of which had been subjected to inquiry by its committees), where [...] lifeboats lowered in a great storm were engulfed, it was thought by some, from the absence of the skill of able seamen in launching them [...]"
- June 22, 2001: Death at Sea: A List of Vessels that Have Caused Losses of Life in the 20th Century
- October 14, 2000: Post in TheShipList from April2, 1998
- October 14, 2000: Steamship Book Library
Mark D. Warren, Ed., The Shipbuilder 1906 - 1914: Volume 1, © 1995, Blue Riband Publications, Inc., New York, Hardcover, 226 Pages, 0-9648153-0-3, 387.2'432'0904--dc20
- September 23, 2000: Eastland Memorial Society - Newspapers (Dubuque Telegraph-Herald)
lists boat disasters 1890-1915 and has reference to Volturno with 135 lifes lost.
- September 2, 2000: The History of the Red Cross in New York, 1891-1920
"... months later, the 348 survivors of the Volturno, which burned at sea, also received care from New York Red Cross volunteers."
- June 12, 2000: Fire on board of the Volturno A page in Swedish by Lasse Strömberg
- June 12, 2000: Diary entry of September 24, 1915 from Sgt Bernard Joseph Brookes in which a reference to Volturno is made
- June 12, 2000: Ship Index has a reference to Volturno in the book "Shipwrecks: An Encyclopedia of the World's Worst Disasters at Sea." by David Ritchie. New York: Checkmark Books, 1996. (Also see at Amazon.com for an entry on this book)
- June 12, 2000: TransAtlantic Passenger Vessels from the Steamship Historical Society of America in the Archives of the University of Baltimore
- May 11, 2000 : Room 3: Telegraphy Pictures and short description of the sinking of the Volturno [in English language]
- April 22, 2000: Updated link-location: Kroonland
Marine Regulations - Fire
Shipslist Digest : SS Volturno Puzzle (3 Apr 1998)
Shipslist Digest - SS Volturno Puzzle (2 Apr 1998)
Czeching Out Our Ancestors
Cape Race Lighthouse
The American Experience | Rescue at Sea | Timeline (1902 - 1915)
Cimorelli Online Ship Directory (Volturno Arrivals in the USA) Select "SS Volturno" and enter a starting date
The Burning Of The Volturno by Arthur Spurgeon. In Autumn 98 catalogue of "Poor Richard's Book Ltd.". Price 65 $ Canadian. There is a description of this book at this website. Use Ctrl-F to search for the word Volturno
Shipping Incidents mentions that the Volturno burned, because of cargo on fire #1 hatch and that 'Kroonland' assisted.
April 1913 SS Volturno sighted an iceberg
On SS Volturno in March 1912
"1912 Annual Report of the Commissioner of Navigation: Radio Extracts" - use Ctrl-F to find the entrance on Volturno in a detailed list by ports of vessels equipped subject to the act and inspected by the wireless inspectors
Carmania (The Great Ocean Liners)
Carmania - Immigrant Ship Information
Großer Kurfürst - Immigrant Ship Information
Seydlitz of North German Lloydd - Immigrant Ship Information
Ocean Liner Passenger List - Minneapolis
KinShips: The Passenger Vessels of Your Immigrant Ancestors
10 October in history
Cape Race southeast coast of Newfoundland
Deadliest Hurricanes - There was a deadly hurricane in the Central Atlantic on 9 October 1913. Go to note ap for a reference on the Volturno.
Important Events in Radiotelegraphy
Thanks to Sam Dowdle for helping me find more links!
Dutch Newspaper articles
List of names Link page