A ledger at the Snyder County Historical Society contains a history of the church written about 1800. Baptismal records date back to 1760 - making this the oldest congregation in the area, dating to pre-Revolutionary times. A converted Jew, Joseph Simons, donated the land for a church and cemetery. Johann Jacob Hassinger, Johann Jacob Walter and a Mr. Maurer were the committee that oversaw the building of the church. The building takes its name from Jacob Hassinger, but Jacob Walter who had worship services held in his home whenever a clergyman was in the area spent much of his time overseeing construction of the building.
1798 church - Drawing by Aaron Kern Gift
The original church, erected in 1785, was a log building. During the existence of this house of worship, the Indians were still numerous in the neighborhood. The ledger reads in part "During these times the Red Man of the maiden forests and the mountains of these wild regions would at times prowl around this log house watching these early worshipers of the Great Spirit." In 1791, preparations were made to erect a new, larger church to accommodate the increased membership. A huge square building with high log walls, finished inside in European style, was built a little to the south-west of the log cabin church. In 1872, the members again decided to build a new church. They tore down the old two-story Gallery church. Using much of the old material, they built the third church on the same spot where the former church stood.
Hassinger's Church today. The hill behind the church leads up to a ridge. The hill was named Cemetery Hill by the early settlers. Across the road in front of the church is a line of trees that are called the Long Hollow - home of Johann Jacob Hassinger and later his son, Abraham Hassinger who migrated to Richland County, Ohio in 1825.