Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

CHURCHES and GRAVEYARDS in Dumfries and Galloway
DUMFRIESSHIRE -- Churches and Graveyards
Dalgarnoc Graveyard
page 1 page 2 page 3 page 4 page 5
THE NITHSDALE MARTYR's MONUMENT

List of names on
this Monument

George ALLAN
James BENNOCH
William BROWN
James CARSAN
James COLVIN
George CORSON
Thos. DINWIDDIE
Robert EDGAR
Andrew FERGUSON
Eliz. H. FERGUSON
John FERGUSON
Robert FERGUSON
Robert FERGUSON
M. Jas. FORSYTH
John GIBSON
James GLOVER
Edward GORDON
Margaret GRACIE

Robert GRIERSON
William GRIERSON
John HAIR
Thos. HARKNESS
William HERON
Andrew HUNTER
Eliz. G. HUNTER
William HUNTER
John JOHNSTONE
John KENNEDY
James KIRKO
John MacCALL
Alex MacCUBINE
Samuel MacEWEN
Thomas MacGIRR
David MacKERVAIL
John MacLAMROES
Andw MacLELLAN
Daniel MacMICHAEL 
James MacMICHAEL

Robert MILLIGAN
Thos. MILLIGAN
Robert MITCHELL
Robert MORRIS
James MUIRHEAD
James MUNCIE
John MUNDELL
Rev. James RENWICK
John RENWICK
James ROBSON
Thomas ROSPER
Robert SITLINGTON
Thomas SITLINGTON
James SMITH
Rev. Robert SMITH
William SMITH
John STOT
William WELSH
Andrew WALLET.
(On base) 1928

This white painted carved stone block has been placed at the base of the monument.
The text below is an extract from: James King Hewison's "Dalgarnoc: its saints and heroes: a history of Morton, Thornhill and the Harknesses" (Dumfries, 1935)
If Dalgarnoc has a sanctity, this historic spot bas a glamour all its own upon its purple heather. The last of the tenantry of the united farms of Locherben or Laight, Mitchelslacks, and Kirkhop was Walter Irvine Harkness, who died on 5th April, 1906, leaving no family. He was interred among his ancestors under a lofty monument in Dalgarnoc.
In order to commemorate publicly the valuable services, sacrifices, and heroism of the Nithsdale Covenanters, a Conventicle was held in Dalgarnoc Churchyard on Sabbath, 25th July, 1925, under the presidency of the parish minister of Closeburn, Rev. Charles Rolland Ramsay, M.A., who was assisted by other local clergy. The present writer gave an account of the Nithsdale Covenanters, and appealed for funds to renovate their monuments, and commemorate the local martyrs in an appropriate memorial. A hearty response was given, which resulted in the cleaning up and restoration of all the ancient memorials of the departed there.
A second Conventicle was held on 22nd July, 1928, in Dalgarnoc, when an immense assembly, from many quarters, gathered to witness the unveiling of a stately Northumbrian Cross in honour of 57 Nithsdale Martyrs, whose names are inscribed upon it. The religious service by the local clergy of all denominations, assisted by a large united choir, accompanied by the Regimental Band of the Seventh Battalion of the Cameronian Territorial Regiment, under Lieut. Colonel Vandaluer, and other officers, recalled the former glories of the ancient sanctuary. The scene contrasted with that when Colonel John Graham of Claverhouse convened the worshippers therein. Descendants of the martyrs, Harknesses, and others were present. Mr. John Cunninghame Montgomerie of Dalmore unveiled the monument.

(End of Chapter III)
Dalgarnoc Graveyard
page 1 page 2 page 3 page 4 page 5