Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Willow Point Cemetery

(Click Here to go to All Headstone Pictures Online)

The Grave Location listing may help in finding relatives with different last names or in establishing relationships. Home Grave Location

WillowGatePav.jpg (66479 bytes)

    The 442 headstones at Willow Point Cemetery were surveyed and photographed in November of 1999.

    Willow Point is located about 10 miles Southwest of Bridgeport. Take Hwy 920 South out of Bridgeport or North from the Jackboro Hwy and then turn West on CR 2210. It's about 3 miles on the left.

 

 

 

WillowEvettsMarker.jpg (95548 bytes)

   

 

    There is an Historical Marker at the
entrance of the cemetery and another
at the grave of Samuel Evetts. The text
for both of these follows:

 

 

 

Willow Point Cemetery

The Willow Point Cemetery has its origins in 1882 when Anna M. English died on October 24 and was buried on land owned by Samuel G. Evitts. The next year, on July 13, Evitts died and was buried in the same area. The land changed hands several times before ownership passed to D.H. and M.M. Bishop, who deeded the property to Woodman of the World Camp No. 1763 in 1905. The deed stated that the older, fenced part of the cemetery would remain a free public burying ground.

It is believed that the cemetery contains many unmarked burials. The Northwest corner of the plot contains the grave of a Confederate soldier who was discharged from Fort Richardson in Jack County, and whose name has long since been forgotten. Also interred here are other Civil War veterans as will as veterans of World War I, World War II, and the Korea and Vietnam Wars. Samuel G. Evitts, original owner of the site, was a veteran of the Texas War for Independence as well as the Civil War.

The Willow Point Cemetery Association, organized in 1947, is responsible for maintenance and hosts an annual homecoming and cleaning day.

Correction
Death Date
Samuel G. Evitts
9 August 1884

Samuel G. Evetts
(1810 – 1884)

A native of Tennessee, Samuel G. Evetts came to Texas in the 1830s. In December 1835 he was wounded at the Siege of Bexar. He later lived in Austin and Coryell Counties and received land grants in those counties as well as in the counties of Washington, Williamson, and Wise. In 1870 he was granted a pension from the State of Texas for his Republic of Texas military service. By 1880 Evetts had moved to Wise County, where he died in 1884 at the age of 74. His name has also been spelled Evitts over the years. Thrice married, he was the father of eleven.