The oldest part of this ancient church in Lembach is the belfry which dates from the 13th century. The church was originally Catholic but in 1543 the Lords of Fleckenstein introduced the Reformed religion. It became Lutheran in 1603. November 10, 1716, the "simultanéun" was introduced to the church in Lembach. The church was then used by both Catholics and Protestants. In 1909 the Catholics built their own church. Since then the ancient church in Lembach has been used only for the Protestants.
For a good number of years, Catholics and Protestants gather at least
once a year to pray together. Sometimes it is in the Catholic church,
sometimes in the Protestant church. They pray that their churches
will remain places of Peace, Forgiveness, Reconciliation and Love and hope
for these things for all that enter there.
Lembach Church Photo & Text for Webpage Courtesy of Marion
Lembach Pulpit Photo & Text for Webpage Courtesy of Marion
Niedersteinbach Photo & Text Courtesy of Marion C. Bale
Town of Lembach Photo & Text Courtesy
of Marion C. Bale
Copyright© 1998 by Joan M Young