The earliest known member of our Bland family is Samuel Bland, who died in 1755 in Warwick County, VA. He was thought to have been born around 1700, and he may have been the immigrant ancestor. This family apparently does not fit in with any of the other Bland families in Virginia.
Samuel was married to Martha Merritt, daughter of John Merritt. The eldest child was Merritt Bland, born prior to 1720. There were at least two other children, Thomas and Samuel.
Merritt Bland died in Mecklenburg County, Virginia in 1773. His will mentions a wife, Sarah, and children Samuel, John, Martha, and Elizabeth. We have no information on any of the children except for the son, Samuel L. Bland.
Samuel L. Bland, b.1752 or earlier, d. 1820. married Elizabeth Williamson, daughter of Cuthbert Williamson and Obedience in Charlotte County, VA June 12, 1781. Elizabeth is believed to have died in Wilson County, TN after 1830.
Children of Samuel and Elizabeth were:
- Rebecca Bland, m. William W. Carpenter in Mecklenburg County, VA, moved to Wilson County, TN before 1830. More information on Carpenter Family
- Elizabeth W. Bland m. James Norvell December 22, 1817 in
Mecklenburg County, VA.
- Frances Bland m. John Hudson on April 30, 1801 in Mecklenburg County, VA, and died before 1820.
- John Bland, died December 31, 1813 serving in the War of 1812.
- Williamson Bland, b. about 1782, d. about 1850 married to Dorcas Williams (b. February 21, 1782, d. July 19, 1836) in Mecklenburg County, VA on November 17, 1806. They Moved to Wilson County, TN in 1829.
Children of Williamson Bland and Dorcas Williams:
- Samuel L. Bland, b. September 26, 1808, d. February 26, 1832, m. Mahalia Brinkley on January 22, 1830.
- Sarah Ann Bland, b. January 5, 1809 and died after June 1860. m. Archibald Cox
- Celia E. Bland, b. August 12, 1813, d. in Benton County, AR on February 11, 1873 (never married)
- Elizabeth W. Bland, b. September 4, 1815, d. January 14, 1872. Married William C. Patterson on May 28, 1822.
- John William Petros Bland, b. December 22, 1817, d. May 20, 1903, m. Malinda Jane Porterfield in Wilson County, TN, on October 9, 1844 in Wilson County, TN. They moved to Arkansas about 1856.
- William David "Billy" Bland, b. April 17, 1820, and died at Coryell, Osage, Texas. He married Melissa Levina Beadle on December 26, 1839.
- Mary Jane Bland, d. Wilson County, TN, October 27, 1850, m. Thomas Patton August 10, 1841.
- Francis Marion Marcus de Lafayette Bland, called "Fayte", b. June 12, 1829, d. August 13, 1910, at Coryell, Texas. m. Elizabeth Porterfield. Fayte served as a sergeant in the 7th Regiment, Company F, of the Tennessee Army, CSA., was captured at Hatcher's Run, Virginia April 2, 1865 and was on the list of prisoners of war at Point Lookout, Maryland. He was released May 20, 1865.