My earliest known Carpenter ancestor was Samuel Carpenter, who married Jean Hundley January 6, 1797 in Amelia County, VA. They were in Nottoway County, VA, in 1810 and Mecklenburg County, VA before 1815. He married Nancy Stone, daughter of Elijah Stone November 1, 1815 Mecklenburg County, VA., and died about 1818.
William W. Carpenter and Rebecca Bland moved to Wilson County, TN sometime after 1820. She is believed to have died after 1840 in Wilson County. He married Ellen Ozment April 19, 1847, Wilson Co, TN, moved to Illinois before 1850, was divorced August 1850, and married Mrs. Lucinda Gray 25 Nov 1853, Jefferson Co, IL, died after 1860.
The following are believed to be children of William W. Carpenter and Rebecca Bland
William M. Carpenter, b. ca 1819, Mecklenburg Co, VA,
m. Christina Williams 21 Oct 1845. Children were:
- Mary E. Carpenter b. 1847
- Mahaley Elizabeth b. 1851
- Larcen Preston Carpenter b. 1852
- Sarah Y. Carpenter. b, 1853
- Virginia Y. Carpenter. b. 1854
- Willie P. Carpenter, b. 1857
- John, Carpenter, b. 1859
- Sam J. Carpenter, b. 1862
- Christina Carpenter, b. 1864
- Wm W. Carpenter, b. 1865
- Martha Carpenter m. Radford B. Ozment April 15, 1846 (No further Information)
- Samuel H. Carpenter, b. about 1827, m. Mary Ann Vivrett, daughter of William D. Vivrett and Nancy Hickman, Jaunary 16, 1850 Wilson Co, TN, m. Jane Ricketts January 25, 1865 Wilson County, TN. More information on Samuel H. Carpenter
- Frances Carpenter, b. 1832, Wilson Co, TN
- John Carpenter , b. 1833, Wilson Co, TN, m. Albina Gray December 13, 1855, Jefferson Co, IL
- Susan Carpenter, b. 1835, Wilson CO, TN
- Robert Carpenter, b. 1837, Wilson Co, TN
- Betsy Carpenter, b. 1840, Wilson Co, TN
- Pamelia C. Carpenter, b. 1842-1844, Wilson Co, TN. M. James Hirum Tinsley 24 Feb 1859, Mt. Vernon, Jefferson Co,IL.
The following are believed to fit into the family somewhere, but exact relationship is unknown. They are the right ages to fit into the above family, but there are no sons listed in this age group in the 1840 census, and this family does have a younger son named John
Oliver Carpenter, b. about 1825, m. Frances Vivrett, February 28, 1855, Wilson County, TN, daughter of William D. Vivrett and Nancy Hickman, living in Rutherford County in 1870.
John C. Carpenter, b. about 1826, m. Amanda Vivrett, January 19, 1848, Wilson County, TN.
Children of Samuel H. Carpenter and Mary Ann Vivrett
- William A. Carpenter, b. 1851, m. Melissa Young November 27, 1877, Wilson County, TN, m.2 Novella Stewart.
- Nancy J. Carpenter b. September 26, 1855, Wilson Co. TN, m. A. C. Underwood, son of Elisha Underwood and Martha Ricketts on October 13, 1880, Wilson Co, TN., moved to Texas between 1887 and 1891. d. January 9, 1933, buried Stones Chapel Cemetery, Red River Co., TX.
- Elizabeth Carpenter b. 1856 (may have married someone named Watson and had daughter named Ada)
- Samuel Houston Carpenter, b. March 12 1858, Wilson Co. TN, moved to Texas before 1890, married Orlene Glazner November 8, 1890, in Red River County, TX, d. 12 March 1933, buried Stones Chapel Cemetery, Cherry Community, Red River Co. TX; These were my grandparents
- T. L. Carpenter, b. 1863, m. ) (Mrs.) Berdia Spickard March 23, 1890 in Wilson County, TN. He married (2) Alice Summers September 20, 1896 in Wilson County, TN.
Children of Samuel H. Carpenter and Jane Ricketts
- Marcus Carpenter, b. 1868, m. married Etta Brown October 08, 1895 in Wilson County, TN.
- Mason M. Carpenter, b. 1869, (may have moved to Texas)
- Docia .D. Carpenter, b. February 1872 in Wilson County, TN. She married Oscar F. Underwood December 24, 1896 in Wilson County, TN.
- Walter Hiram Carpenter, b. abt. 1875 in Wilson County, TN, m. Evelyn Josephine Lannom August 5, 1894 in Wilson County, TN., moved to Texas between 1900 and 1910, d. November 20, 1912 in Red River County, TX, b. Stones Chapel Cemetery, Cherry Community, Red River County, TX.
- J.P Carpenter b. abt. 1878 (no further information)
- Carl.D. Carpenter b. 1879. In the 1910 Census he was still in Wilson County, thirty years old and single.
- Burness S. Carpenter, b. 1882
- Mattie J. Carpenter, b. May 29, 1886, d. Feb 2, 1981 m. Ed Ligon, b. May 29, 1886, d. Jul 9, 1951, in Wilson County, TN
If anyone has any information to add on this particular family I would love to hear from you.