This cabin was built by David H. (7) Goble and his sons: David Jr. (8), William Henry Harrison (8), and Simpson (8) Goble, in Washington County, Iowa in 1836. The cabin was described as "a double log house." It was hand hewed and consisted of two separate and distinct cabins, 16 by 18 feet, built about eight feet apart. When the roof was put on, it was extended over the space between the two buildings forming an entry. This furnished a great deal of extra room for storing all kinds of household goods, farming implements, and occasionally shelter for the livestock.
The Goble house was finished and they moved into it before the winter of 1836. On June 17, 1839 David, with his sons David Jr. and William Henry Harrison, were sworn in and sat on the first grand jury convened in Washington County, Iowa. The west room of "the Goble mansion" was used as the first court house of Washington County. Court was actually held under the big trees near the cabin on warm days.