There are many Goble landmarks in the United States and elsewhere. If you know of a landmark not mentioned below, please send us the information so it can be added to the list.
Goble, Oregon is a very small town between Hunter Bar and Trojan on highway 30 in northern Oregon. It was named Goble after Daniel Blue (8) Goble. He was an Ohio trapper who traveled to Oregon in the mid 1850s. In August 1852 he claimed "donation lands" in Columbia County, Territory of Oregon. It was for this claim of land that Goble Oregon was named.
At one time Goble was a brawling frontier town, boisterous and booming. The railroad ran through Goble and Kalama, Washington, across the Columbia River. There were plenty of jobs. Lumber was the main industry and was shipped out on huge steamboats navigating the Columbia River. Several hundred loggers populated two separate camps during these early days. Through the week the lumberjacks labored mightily and on Saturday night they bathed, shaved, and headed for town. After acquiring an illegal jug of whisky they would hang out in the "Red Men Lodge Hall" where they spent the night dancing and sometimes brawling. Occasionally belligerent lumberjacks were hauled to the "hoosegow," and would escape during the night by clawing through the jail's wooden floor with their boots.
Gradually the boom diminished. The river boats, trains and loggers began to move on, abandoning Goble's hotel, mills, boarding house, barbershops, stores and churches, and even the Red Men Lodge Hall. In 1923 the post office closed. The present swallowed the past.
For Goble the days of hard drinking, loggers and riverboat prosperity are gone. However, it still exists, and has been visited by many Goble descendants.
The village of Goblesville, Michigan takes its name from the Goble family of Nathaniel (7) and Elizabeth "Betsey" Hinchey Goble. It was an important town on the railroad line of the Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroads, on a branch of Michigan Central Railroad, which included territory lying in both Bloomingdale and Pine Grove Townships.
Goblesville, Michigan originated in about 1867 when John (8) Goble built a hotel and his brother Hiram built a general store. The location of the store was at the "corners," which was the center of town and soon became known as Gobles Corners. Warren (8) Goble, a brother of John and Hiram, bought the land where the village now stands. Hiram (8) Goble was the first postmaster of Goblesville and he donated much of the land to the State for the streets in the town. The post office moved into the general store and the settlement was known as Goblesville. Gobles became the town's name in 1870 when the railroad arrived and named its depot "Gobles Station". Gobles was incorporated as a village in 1893, renamed Goble on April 10, 1922, and was incorporated as the City of Gobles in 1957.Return to Top
Goblesville, Indiana is in Huntington County. According to the Huntington County Library the town of Goblesville was settled on Section 3, on June 13, 1855 by Peter "Roy" Goble. Roy Goble built a log school house on the property, which was also used as a church. Roy was married twice and had between 10 and 17 children. Several of Roy's sons were responsible for constructing the buildings of Goblesville. They ran the stores, operated the mill, and started the church. The small pioneering village had blacksmith shops, a general store where the post office was located, a wagon and buggy shop, a hoop factory, and the Huntington Brewery. Today Goblesville is just a speck on the map, a mini village, and currently has no post office. It has a few occupied houses, a brick church, an old brick school building (now used for storage) and an empty store. It has been classified as one of the Ghost Towns of Huntington County.
Sources: Ghost Towns of Huntington County, by Doris M. Chambers, 1971, page 15. Huntington County Library Return to Top
Gobles, Ontario was named for Jacob (6) Goble, son of Jacob (5) and Anne Fairchild Goble. He was born in Warwick, Orange County, New York on January 27, 1783. He married Bathsheba Paine and had two sons with her: Peter (7), and William Lull (7). He married a second time to Mary Beemer or Beamer. They had eight children: George Washington (7), Horace Henry (7), Daniel Beemer (7), Jacob (7), John Philip (7), Robert Hamilton (7), Elizabeth Almira Jane (7), and James Francis (7).
Jacob (6) Goble and Mary Beamer moved to Bleinham Township, Ontario. to what became the village of Gobles sometime before their second son Horace Henry was born, November 24, 1817. The rest of their children were born there. This is probably where Elder Jacob's ministry began. There are many marriage certificates from the area which bears his name. He became known as "Elder" Jacob. He was an active farmer, possibly a merchant and a "cooper" while he lived at Gobles. Jacob identified his cattle by making a square crop in the right ear and a slit in the left.
Jacob and Mary left Gobles and moved to Townsend Township, Ontario in 1836 along with eight of their children. They settled near Buck's corners. He disliked the name Buck's Corners and changed it to Villa Nova. Jacob began to be active in the church there and in 1850 became the first minister of the newly formed Baptist Church. He was again active there as a farmer and a cooper. Elder Jacob traveled by horseback in the Long Point area preaching the gospel. He also had a civic duty recording the births, deaths and marriages for the Minister of Agriculture and Statistics. Elder Jacob Goble died in Townsend, Canada West on September 14, 1864.Return to Top
If you have information you would like to add please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org