OSEPH P. BOULDEN, a farmer of Hazel Dell Township, was born in Piqua, Miami County, Ohio, August 11, 1819, the son of William L. and Nancy (Patterson) Boulden, natives of Delaware and of Scotch and Irish extraction. He was the third in order of birth in a family of seven children, only three of whom are still living. The other two are John R., of Rockford Township, and Mary J., widow of Levi G. Brandon living in Des Moines.
On Attaining his majority Mr. Boulden married, in November, 1839, Susan Lee, who was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1822. They had two children: John W., now residing in California, and Mary E., residing in St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Boulden was married again in 1848, to Mary Lee, who was born in Licking County, Ohio, August 13, 1826, and died February 25, 1887. There were two children by this marriage also, namely: Joseph P., a resident of Hazel Dell Township, and Benjamin F., deceased. Mr. Boulden made his home in Ohio until 1849. The first business in which he was engaged after he arrived at the age of twenty-one years was that of boating on the Miami Canal, for some five years. In 1849 he came to Illinois, where he was a miller for three years. May 14, 1853, he arrived here in Pottawattamie, locating first at Council Bluffs, where he engaged as a mill-sawyer, manufacturing the first lumber that was ever turned out at this point, as he operated the first saw-mill here. At the end of about two years he wet to Omaha and engaged in saw-milling there a year, turning out also the first lumber at that point. Returning to this side of the river he operated a mill for the Jeffrey Brothers, northwest of Council Bluffs, for about half a year, when he located upon his present farm. He first purchased 200 acres of unimproved land on section 32 of what is now Hazel Dell Township; and here he has since resided with the exception of two years in Utah and Nevada. He was one of the first settlers in that part of the county, and suffered the usual privations and hardships of pioneer life. Courage, guided by cool judgment, has guided him on in the improvement of his place until he now has a comfortable home, where he can spend the remainder of his life in contentment. His first dwelling was a structure 16 x 22 feet; and his present residence, also a frame, 18 x 24 and 16 x 20, was erected in the midst of a natural grove. General farming and stock-raising are Mr. Bouldens specialties. He takes pride in the rearing of the better grades of live-stock. He now possesses one of the finest horses in the county, a Morgan. He has also done much for the material interest of his community, and his dealing ever command the highest respect. He has disposed of his real-estate by a distribution to his children, and he now makes his home with his son J. P. on the old home place.
Politically Mr. Boulden is a decided Republican, ever taking a leading part in the political affairs of the county. He was Coroner four years, member of the Board of County Supervisors three years, Justice of the Peace, Township Trustee, member of the School Board, etc. In his manner hi is cordial and affable, in disposition kind.
His son, J. P., was married to Miss Maggie Dial, and they had two children: Ida M., deceased, and Benjamin F., a resident of California. He was again married March 10, 1887, to Anna Anderson, who was born in Sweden in 1870, and they have one child, Mary G.
Thanks for visiting!
This page last updated: Friday, 01-Jan-1999 08:55:02 MST.
Copyright © 1998-1999 Susan M Baker, All rights reserved.