Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 Chicago and North Western Train Depot


This is the southern exposure of the train depot built in Kiron.  The passengers are probably delegates leaving the National Convention of Swedish Baptists which was held in Kiron in 1912.  This depot served as the departure point for the many Ed Clauson sponsored excursion trains that took locals to Lake View for a fun day at Black Hawk Lake.  To the right down the track was the local stockyards that were used to load the Chicago bound Beef Empire Specials at Thanksgiving time.  Both the stockyards and the depot building existed until the mid 1950's when the rail service was discontinued.