Search billions of records on

22 December 1998
Roy Anderson  Many memories . . .
by Ruth Burnside, Denison Newspapers, 1963

Up until two months ago, Roy Anderson of Kiron had spent a major portion of his life on a farm in Stockholm township. Although he had ceased farming the land, he still remained on the place until he came to the Saunders Nursing home.

Having been reared on a farm, then continuing with the vocation of agriculture in adult life, it seemed almost impossible for him to leave the farm to reside in town so he stayed on the farm, leasing out the land.

As a greater portion of his time was spent out-of-doors working, he learned to have a strong feeling for nature, of the land and of the water. When he wasnít busily occupied with his farm work, he liked to go hunting in the winter and fishing in the summer. He has spent a great deal of time fishing at Storm Lake, Black Hawk Lake and Linn Grove. He has had some fine catches in the Boyer river.

To aid him with his hunting, he had hound dogs, one time as many as five. A good many winter days were spent with his hounds hunting rabbits.

His life wasnít all hunting, fishing and cultivating the soil, he suffered many disappointments during his life as does the average individual, but he had the ability to take advantage of setbacks and to come back stronger than ever. Early in life he discovered one thing -- trouble is one thing that defies the law of gravity, itís easier to pick up than to drop.

Roy Anderson, the son of E. W. Anderson and Christina (Weberg) Anderson, was born in Woodbury County, Sioux City on 2 December 1882. His father was born in Sweden and received his education in the schools of that country. After his schooling, he was employed in a flour mill up to the time he came to the United States with his parents, when he was 21. The family came directly to Sioux City and he found employment in a planning mill. While in Sioux City he was married. Shortly after his marriage, he came to Kiron and located on a farm in Stockholm township, staying on this farm for the remainder of his life.

Christina (Weberg) Anderson, his mother, was also a native of Sweden, receiving her education in the Swedish schools. She accompanied her parents to the United States, coming directly to Boone in Boone county. After her marriage, following a short residence in Sioux City, she lived in Stockholm township, Crawford county, until her passing.

Stockholm township School No. 4, situated one-half mile from his home, was the seat of his learning. Jimmie Morris, Delia Hall and Myrtle Tucker were three of his teachers. "I can remember I often had to carry water, one-half mile to school to drink," commented Mr. Anderson.

When he finished school he stayed at home and assisted his father with the farm work. He had one sister, Annette, who also stayed at home to help her mother because of her ill health. After the death of their parents, the two of them continued to farm the home place ..........