Search billions of records on

18 march 1837 -- 10 May 1916
(picture )

On Wednesday last, May 10th, at 1:30 the sad message was sent out from the old homestead four and one-half miles southeast of Kiron that Grandpa Clauson had passed away. His last illness was short, only a little over two days. Something over a month previous he was taken quite ill, but had recovered to nearly his former health. On Saturday afternoon prior to his death he came to Kiron and spent a few hours, and the following Sunday attended the services at the Baptist church. On Monday morning he arose apparently in good health and while walking about the yard he had stroke of paralysis that effected his left side. He was carried into the home from which he never went out alive. He continued to grow weaker until at noon Tuesday when it became apparent that the end was very near and shortly afterward he breathed his last surrounded by all his children except one son who could not reach his bedside in time to see his father go. To many who only a few days before had seen him up town and about, and who had not learned of the illness were greatly surprised to learn of his death.


Carl Fredrick Clauson was born at Figeholm, Misterhult Socken, Sweden, March 18th, 1837, where he resided up to the year 1868, when together with his family emigrated to America coming to Kiron where his home has always been.

On November 30th, 1869, he was united in marriage to Miss Helen Pearson and their union was blessed with fourteen children of which nine are dead and the surviving five children all reside in this settlement and who are Alfred J. who with his family are residing on the old homestead and with whom Grandpa made his home since the death of his wife. Mrs. Edward Anderson, who resides on one of the farms joining the old homestead; William C., residing three and one-half miles southeast of Kiron, and Edward E. and Otto E., residing in Kiron.

He leaves seventeen grandchildren, one brother in Sweden, and one sister, Mrs. Lottie Erickson at Alcester, South Dakota, besides other relatives.

His wife passed away April 10, 1892, and by whose side his remains are now resting in the Kiron cemetery.

He was converted and baptized March 6th, 1870, and has been a faithful and devoted member of the Baptist church ever since, at all times interested in the welfare and progress and would lend what aid in what various ways he could for its attainment.

The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon and which was attended by a large number of acquaintances and friends. The services were conducted by his pastor, Rev. N. N. Morton, assisted by Rev. Irving Johnson.

The pall bearers were his four sons. The honorary pall bearers were John Erickson, Peter Johnston, C. S. Johnson, Erick Larson, C. O. Swanson and William Lindberg.

When coming to this locality and settling here with the first pioneers it was almost a wilderness, being 48 years ago, only a few of those who settled in this locality during that time are still alive.

At his death he was 79 years 1 month and 22 days of age, and had resided in Stockholm township for 48 years.

His long journey is ended, his career brought to a close. He was respected by all who knew him and was a good citizen, friend, neighbor and father. He leaves an empty place in the family circle, the neighborhood and in the church. He lived his Christianity in which he rejoiced and now has entered into the peaceful glorious land beyond. Farewell and while gone his memory will long remain with us.

Among those who were present at his funeral were: Mrs. Lottie Erickson, his sister, and his niece, Mrs. P. A. Lawson, and her husband all of Alcester, South Dakota, and Mrs. P. A. Lillieholm and two sons, Frank and Richard, and Mrs. Earl Buffington of Denison. 

Return to Obituary Table of Contents