Search billions of records on

Charles William Nelson Obituary --14 Nov. 1937 -- Kiron, Iowa
C. W. Nelson, the only child of Andrew and Ingi Nelson, was born in Moline, Ill, July 10, 1876 and came to this locality with his parents when 3 years old, growing to young manhood and educated here. He was united in marriage to Miss Anna Lundell March 22, 1899, when they went to housekeeping on the farm one mile north of Kiron which was their home, with the exception of a short residence in Kiron, until 2 1/2 years ago when they moved to Denison where they built a new home. Three children were born to this union: Gladys, Mrs. C. L. Seivers of Denison, Royal Nelson of Boston, Mass, Golden, Mrs. H. Fitch of Denison. They together with his wife and three grandchildren remain to mourn, also a few cousins and a host of friends; his parents, uncles and aunts having preceded him to death.
He was confirmed in the Bethel Lutheran church in his early youth where he remained a faithful, active member until his death, serving in a number of offices.
He was much interested in civic affairs and the welfare of this community. He was treasurer of the Farmers Lumber and Grain Co. many years, also chairman of the Board of Directors. He served as treasurer of The Kiron Telephone Co. for a number of years.
Mr. Nelson was a good neighbor, friend, husband and father, congenial and pleasant, making many friends both here and in Denison, always willing to lend a helping hand where needed and an untiring ambitious worker who will be greatly missed in the home, church and community.
The funeral services will be held this Wednesday afternoon, 1:30 from the home and 2:00 o'clock from the Bethel Lutheran church with his pastor, Rev. Herbert Johnson conducting. Three songs, "Rock of Ages", "Nearer My God to Thee," and "I Need Thee Every Hour," will be sung by a mixed quartette composed of Mrs. Ray Linquist, Mrs. E. N. Sandstrom, Rev. Herbert Johnson and Herbert Reed accompanied at the piano by Mrs. Geo. Lundell.
Interment will be made in the Bethel Cemetery.
Mr. Nelson was ill but a week before his death, having submitted to a major operation at the Carroll Hospital on Saturday morning and passed away Sunday evening. His son was notified of his serious condition, but death won the race by a few hours.

Return to Obituary Table of Contents