House of Eugene B. Helman
Eugene B. Helman, a prominent farmer and stockman who is an extensive land owner in Sedalia and Prairie townships, has one of the best improved farms in Pettis County. His place consists of 815 acres of valuable land in splendid condition. The residence is located on Section 18, Sedalia township, within a short distance of the city of Sedalia. It has a neat modern bungalow with all modern conveniences, consisting of hot and cold running water, electric lights, and in fact, the Helman home has all the conveniences of modern city life, combined with a freedom of the country.
Mr. Helman is a native of Ohio. He was born in Ashland County, August 30, 1865, a son of Jacob D. and Mary (Bower) Helman. Jacob D. Helman was born in Ashland County, Ohio, in 1832. In early life he was a farmer and merchant in Ohio and shortly after the Civil War broke out, he enlisted at Salem, Ohio, and served throughout the war in the forty-second Ohio Infantry and for a time was regimental color bearer. At the close of the war he returned to his Ohio home, and in 1869 came to Missouri. He first located in Johnson County where he remained about a year, and in 1870, came to Pettis County and bought a farm in Prairie township, about one-half mile north of Camp Branch. Here he was successfully engaged in farming and stock raising until 1910 when he retired and removed to Green Ridge where he has since resided. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was born in Center County, Pennsylvania and is now seventy-eight years old. To Jacob and Mary (Bower) Helman have been born three children as follows: Elvia, who resides with her parents at Green Ridge, Missouri; Eugene B., the subject of this sketch; and Forrest E., who occupies the home place in Prairie township.
Eugene B. Helman was reared on a farm and was educated in the public schools of Pettis County and Central Business College, at Sedalia, Missouri. He has made farming and stock raising the occupation of his life, and for a time was an extensive cattle feeder. He bought his first land about 1898, and in 1901 bought his home place which consists of 265 acres and was known as the old Sibert farm. Since purchasing the place, Mr. Helman has given it the registered title of "Westview Stock Farm."
Mr. Helman has been twice married, his first wife being Fannie, daughter of Isaac and Ann (Rhodes) Glover, natives of Pennsylvania who came from that State to Pettis County. To Mr. Helman's first marriage two children were born: Elmer G., born January 28, 1898, now a student in the University of Missouri, where he is taking the agricultural course; and Clyde W., born in 1900 and died in 1913. The mother of these children died in 1906.
April 30, 1916, Mr. Helman was united in marriage with Miss Nellie A., daughter of William H. and Susan (Lewis) Purchase, natives of Barnston, England, who located in Pettis County, MO in 1881, and now reside in Elk Fork township. A sketch of William H. Purchase appears in this volume. No children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Helman.
Mr. Helman is a Republican and has served one term as mayor of Green Ridge. During his administration. during his administration, many improvements were made in the town. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, a member of the Modern Woodsman of America and Knights and Ladies of Security. He organized the Camp Branch Brass Band, of which he was leader for 12 years.
(History of Pettis County Missouri by Mark A McGruder 1919)
Back to: The Helman Family Home Page