Search billions of records on

    Grandma Hobart Part
    Of Carthage History
    The tragic June day in Carthage when Joseph and Hyrum Smith were killed has been told many times. The story of a woman’s role that June 27, 1844, has been found in an old newspaper clipping from 1904.
    This fateful day in the Mormon story of Nauvoo and Hancock county emerges in the story of an old settlers meeting in September of 1904. About 850 old settlers came to Carthage for the big day. Bowen sent 300. Fisher’s band came from Burlington.
    Grandma Hobart was front and center. She had been born in Vermont (the state) Feb. 16, 1809 - the same year as Abraham Lincoln was born. Before she married Jonas Hobart she was Polly Maria Farr. She came to Carthage in 1836 - when the town was a dozen cabim and the courthouse was a log cabin too.
    And in 1904 everybody knew her as Grandma Hobart.
    My account of the bad day in Carthage 1844, when she and Abe were 35 (she said she was personally acquainted with Lincoln), comes from a clipping owned by a Macomb woman, Mrs. Richard (Pat) Savill of Jana Road.
    The clipping explains that she recalled the "Mormon War" - especially the attack on the Carthage jail, wherein were confined Hyrum and Joe Smith. It was during this attack that Sheriff Bakenstos, with 100 men, were called out to assist in quelling the riot.
    At this point Mrs. Hobart makes her appearance in the history of Hancock county:
"On the following morning the sheriff called on Mrs. Hobart and asked her fo fix breakfast for his men. She consented and baked a barrel of flour into bread besides cooking the meat from several sheep and a calf."
    She was not paid - because
the men fed were Mormons.
    "As the feeling against the Mormons was so bitter, she never again presented her claim, and to this day, my friends, Hancock county owes this dear old woman this debt." says the 1904 account.
    She saw the hanging of a man named Frame in Big Meadows south of Carthage. Her husband built the scaffold.
    In Webster was a house she herself built while her husband was roaming California looking for gold. She lived 60 years in Webster. When this was written her son, Pardon, lived with her.

Back to Polly Maria Farr