1. Edmund, from Hing. County of Norfolk, Eng., and b. in that parish,
ab. 1570, was the ancestor of all who have borne this surname by birth in our Hing. or its
vic. He arrived at Charlestown, 1633, and with his s. Thomas, and several others, came to
"Bare Cove," the same yr. (See Lincoln's "History of Hingham," pp. 41
and 156), prob. for the purpose of assisting in establishing a new plantation or township.
It is generally thought, however, that be did not locate here permanently until the
arrival of his s. the Rev. Peter Hobart, and those who came with him. He was one of the
early settlers who drew their houselots on Town (North) St., on the 18th of Sept. 1635;
Edmund's lot being the 17th, while Nos. 18 and 19 were granted to two of his sons. His
first w., Margaret Dewey, was the mother of his ch. His sec. w., whom he m. at
Charlestown, Oct.10, 1634, was Mrs. Sarah Lyford, the wid. of Rev. John Lyford. The dates
of his, and of his sec. w.'s decease, are recorded in Hobart's Diary as foll.: "March
8, 1646, father Hubbeard dyed." "June 23,1649, mother Hobart dyed." He,
therefore, at the time of his decease, was ab. 76 yrs. of age. Resided opp. Hobart's
Bridge, North St. Freeman, March 4, 1634; constable the same yr.; and in 1639, 1640, and
1642 a deputy to the Great and General Court.
Ch., all b. in Eng., by w. Margaret, were -
|i.||NAZARETH, ab. 1600. m. John Beal, and came to New Eng., in 1638 with her hus. and eight ch. She d. in Hing. 23 Sept. 1658.|
|v.||REBECCA, ____ admitted to the church at Charlestown with her bro. Joshua.|
Source: History of the Town of Hingham, Massachusetts, published by the town in 1893. Vol. II, pg. 334.
* Lineage ends here, died
without bearing children
* Hobart name ends here, female or died without male children
Please report any problems with this site to Elizabeth (Hobart) Jackson