Search billions of records on

Chapter XX



son of Peter Hobart and grandson of Gershom Hobart, the third minister of Groton, Mass., born in Groton, August 21, 1722. Settled in that part of Hollis known as "One Pine Hill," about 1748, and was a Sergeant in the company of Capt. Powers in the French war in 1755. He was one of the grantees of Plymouth, N. H., and one of the first settlers of that town. His name last appears on the Hollis tax lists in 1765. In 1777 he was Colonel of the Twelfth New Hampshire regiment of militia and had command of a New Hampshire regiment under Gen. Stark at the battle of Bennington, where he greatly distinguished himself for his gallantry and good conduct, for which he received due commendation from Gen. Stark in his report of the battle. In that battle Col. Hobart with Col. Stickney led the attack against the Tory breast-work on the right where the contest was most desperate--the Tories it is said "fighting like tigers," and neither asking nor giving quarter. Col. Hobart having lost his wife, after the war removed to Haverhill, Mass., married a second wife and died soon after at Haverhill. The name of this heroic officer is erroneously spelt "Hubbard" in "Belknap's History of New Hampshire," as it also was said to have been in Gen. Stark's report of the battle.


a younger brother of Col. David Hobart, born in Groton, August 11, 1734. Settled in Hollis during the French war of 1755. Was a Sergeant in that war in 1758. Adjutant of Col. Goffe's regiment in 1760, and an Ensign in 1761. In 1767 he was Major of the Fifth New Hampshire regiment of militia. Representative to the General Court from Hollis for six years, from 1768 to 1774. In the year last named was appointed Colonel of the Second New Hampshire regiment of minute men, and was a delegate from Hollis to the New Hampshire Provincial Congress. Upon the organization of Hillsborough county in 1771, he was appointed Register of Deeds, County Treasurer and one of the Justices of the county court. In 1775 he was appointed Muster Master, and also Paymaster of the New Hampshire regiments at Cambridge. In 1777 he contracted with the State government to manufacture gunpowder for the State, and removed from Hollis to Exeter. Was representative to the General Court from Exeter in 1777 and 1778, and a member of the State Committee of Safety in 1779 and 1780. Anna Hobart, the first wife of Col. Hobart, died in Hollis, May 20, 1773. After he removed from Hollis he continued to reside in Exeter for several years after the war, married a second time, and finally removed to Kingston, N. H., where he died June 4, 1798, aet. 63.

Back to the History of Hollis