Prepared by Norma F. Jennings
Copyright 1997, 1998
We have found the Greene and Wattenbarger families intermarrying with different members of the Humphreys family. Whether or not these Humphreys Families are related or not is unknown. We present them each as individual families.
There was John Humphreys and Margaret Carlisle who were from Co. Armagh, Ireland. Their son William Humphreys (b. 1745, d. Aug. 1835) married Sarah McClung. They had a son William Leslie Humphreys. whose descendants moved to Louisa County, Iowa.
John Humphreys who married Susannah may be another son of John and Margaret, but we have no evidence to prove that.
NOTE: This page is currently under revision and editing with the assistence of Aileen Bennett, who lives in Tennessee, so please check back in a few weeks for any corrections.
(1745-1835) son of John Humphreys and Margaret Carlisle.
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM2 HUMPHREYS (JOHN1) was born 1745 in County Armagh, Ireland, and died August 15, 1835 in Blount Co., Tennessee. He married SARAH MCCLUNG in Augusta Co., Virginia.
Children of WILLIAM HUMPHREYS and SARAH MCCLUNG are:
i. MARGARET3 HUMPHREYS.
ii. MARY HUMPHREYS.
iii. JOHN W. HUMPHREYS, b. July 28, 1780; m. LITITIA MOORE.
iv. ELIZABETH HUMPHREYS, b. October 10, 1782; d. February 17, 1853, Washington Co, Tennessee; m. WILLIAM MCLIN.
v. DAVID HUMPHREYS, b. 1783; d. August 06, 1865; m. ELENOR CAMPBELL, 1803.
2. vi. WILLIAM LESLIE HUMPHREYS, b. September 17, 1785, Probably Blount County, Tennessee; d. October 13, 1865, Washington Co, Tennessee.
vii. JAMES HUMPHREYS, b. October 21, 1788; m. NANCY MCCLUNG, January 31, 1828.
viii. CYRUS ALEXANDER HUMPHREYS, b. November 14, 1791; d. October 17, 1876, Madisonville, Tennessee; m. ANN CLENDEN CRUIKSHANKS.
Notes for CYRUS ALEXANDER HUMPHREYS:
Cyrus Alexander Humphreys and Alexander Humphreys are probably the same person since they are born the same day of the same month, but there is a date discrepancy as one source says 1791 and another says 1796.
Notes for ANN CLENDEN CRUIKSHANKS:
ix. ALEXANDER HUMPHREYS, b. November 14, 1796.
x. SAMUEL HUMPHREYS, b. November 1800; d. March 10, 1830.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM LESLIE3 HUMPHREYS (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born September 17, 1785 in Probably Blount County, Tennessee, and died October 13, 1865 in Washington Co, Tennessee. He married (1) REBECCA HANNA CARSON February 17, 1807 in Washington Co., Tennessee, daughter of MOSES CARSON and ELIZABETH HANNAH. He married (2) J. GWINN November 15, 1839. He married (3) SARAH WHITLOCK December 26, 1850 in Washington Co., Tennessee.
Children of WILLIAM HUMPHREYS and REBECCA CARSON are:
3. i. MARY POLLY4 HUMPHREYS, b. September 03, 1807, Washington Co., Tennessee.
ii. WILLIAM HARVEY HUMPHREYS, b. September 19, 1809, Washinton Co., Tennessee; d. July 19, 1866, Washington Co, Tennessee; m. DELILAH J. MILLER, April 1831.
iii. ELIZABETH HANNA HUMPHREYS, b. September 16, 1813; m. JOHN GOOD, May 02, 1833, Washington Co., Tennessee.
iv. SARAH MCCLUNG HUMPHREYS, b. April 21, 1816, Washington Co, Tennessee; d. March 1826, Washington Co, Tennessee.
v. LUCINDA JANE HUMPHREYS, b. May 14, 1818, Washington Co, Tennessee; m. JAMES BAYLESS.
vi. MOSES ALEXANDER HUMPHREYS, b. October 27, 1820, Washington Co, Tennessee; d. February 14, 1897, Iowa City, Johnson Co., Iowa; m. (1) CYNTHIA HUNTER, June 05, 1841; m. (2) RACHEL BLAIR, January 03, 1860.
Notes for MOSES ALEXANDER HUMPHREYS:
vii. SAMUEL CARLISLE HUMPHREYS, b. July 09, 1823; d. May 18, 1824.
viii. JOHN ROSS HUMPHREYS, b. July 25, 1825; d. Abt. 1863, Vicksburg, Mississippi; m. M. HENKLER, June 17, 1843.
ix. MARGARET MARIE HUMPHREYS, b. March 09, 1829.
x. LEMUEL NEWTON HUMPHREYS, b. July 12, 1831, Washington Co., Tennessee; d. April 13, 1907, Johnson Co., Iowa; m. (1) SARAH ANN MORELOCK, November 25, 1852, Washington Co., Tennessee; m. (2) CELIA CLEVENGER, April 08, 1876.
Generation No. 3
3. MARY POLLY4 HUMPHREYS (WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born September 03, 1807 in Washington Co., Tennessee. She married SOLOMON WATTENBERGER May 06, 1824 in Washington Co., Tenn., son of JOHANN WUERTENBERGER and ELIZABETH FERNTZELER.
Children of MARY HUMPHREYS and SOLOMON WATTENBERGER are:
i. ELIZABETH5 WATTENBARGER, d. December 18, 1907; m. J. BALL, February 17, 1841, Washington Co, Tennessee.
ii. JONATHAN WATTENBARGER.
iii. SALLY WATTENBARGER, m. W. GORDON, August 29, 1841, Washington Co, Tennessee.
iv. WILLIAM C. WATTENBARGER.
v. DAVID WATTENBERGER.
vi. JAMES L. WATTENBERGER.
vii. MARTHA E. WATTENBERGER, m. BROWNING.
viii. MARY JANE WATTENBERGER, m. JOHN MORRISON.
ix. SAMUEL H. WATTENBERGER, m. MARTHA JORDAN, October 10, 1847, Washington Co, Tennessee.
4. x. LUCINDA JANE WATTENBERGER, b. February 19, 1833, Washinton Co., Tennessee; d. November 18, 1907.
Generation No. 4
4. LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER (MARY POLLY4 HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born February 19, 1833 in Washinton Co., Tennessee, and died November 18, 1907. She married JESSE H. GREENE September 17, 1847 in Washington Co., Tenn., son of JOSHUA GREEN and SUSANNA GREENWAY.
Children of LUCINDA WATTENBERGER and JESSE GREENE are:
5. i. WM. ALEXANDER6 GREENE, b. June 07, 1850, Wash. Co., Tenn.; d. August 27, 1935, Columbus City, Iowa.
6. ii. MARY JANE GREEN, b. February 11, 1852, Telford, Tenn.; d. July 12, 1937, Telford, Tennessee.
7. iii. SUSAN ELIZABETH GREEN, b. June 04, 1854, Telford, Tenn..
8. iv. MARTHA ELLEN GREEN, b. July 17, 1856, Telford, Tenn.; d. August 06, 1926, Buried Union Grove Cemetery, Cleveland, Tennessee.
9. v. EBENEZER MATHIS GREEN, b. January 08, 1859, Telford, Tenn.; d. July 23, 1941, Buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Mexico, Missouri.
10. vi. DAVID CROCKET GREEN, b. January 31, 1861, Telford, Tenn.; d. August 08, 1932, Buried in Columbus City Cemetery.
11. vii. JAMES MELVIN GREEN, b. March 24, 1863, Telford, Tenn.; d. May 04, 1939, Buried in Columbus City Cemetery.
12. viii. ROBERT FRANKLIN GREEN, b. August 04, 1866, Telford, Tenn.; d. October 11, 1943, Muscatine, IA.
13. ix. CHARLES RICHARD GREENE, b. March 10, 1869, Telford, Tenn.; d. April 13, 1942.
x. EMMA F. GREEN, b. July 19, 1872, Telford, Tenn.; d. December 23, 1911.
xi. NANNIE CAROLINE GREEN, b. February 16, 1875, Telford, Tennessee; d. October 30, 1949, Burlington Hospital, Burlington, Iowa; m. JACOB OSBOURNE HALL, December 27, 1899.
Generation No. 5
5. WM. ALEXANDER6 GREENE (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born June 07, 1850 in Wash. Co., Tenn., and died August 27, 1935 in Columbus City, Iowa. He married ELIZABETH JANE GREENE July 10, 1875 in Washington Co. Tenn., daughter of JOSHUA GREENE and MARY HUMPHREYS.
Children of WM. GREENE and ELIZABETH GREENE are:
i. WILLIAM MCKINLEY7 GREEN.
14. ii. ANNA JANE GREENE, b. November 08, 1876.
15. iii. FLORENCE EMILY GREENE, b. March 07, 1878, Louisa Co., Iowa; d. March 30, 1964, Winfield Rest Home.
16. iv. JESSIE MAY GREEN, b. July 27, 1881; d. July 19, 1958, Buried in Fulton Cemetery, Cairo, Iowa.
17. v. ARTHUR RAY GREENE, b. May 11, 1884, Columbus City, Iowa; d. February 26, 1970, Columbus City, Iowa.
vi. IRA REUBEN GREEN, b. September 16, 1887; d. June 10, 1962.
vii. RALPH WILLARD GREEN, b. February 02, 1890, Louisa Co. Iowa; d. June 24, 1963; m. HELEN MARIE PRATT, December 07, 1926, Methodist Parsonage, Muscatine, Iowa.
18. viii. PAUL ALEXANDER GREEN, b. May 10, 1893, Columbus City, Ia; d. October 29, 1961, Buried in Columbus City Cemetery.
6. MARY JANE6 GREEN (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born February 11, 1852 in Telford, Tenn., and died July 12, 1937 in Telford, Tennessee. She married ADAM MCCRACKEN May 23, 1872 in Telford, Tennessee.
Children of MARY GREEN and ADAM MCCRACKEN are:
19. i. SAMUEL KEEBLER7 MCCRACKEN.7. SUSAN ELIZABETH6 GREEN (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born June 04, 1854 in Telford, Tenn.. She married CHARLES DANIEL BROWNING December 09, 1880 in Tennessee.
ii. LELIA MCCRACKEN.
iii. ELIZABETH MCCRACKEN.
iv. INFANT SON.
v. INFANT DAUGHTER.
20. vi. GEORGIA ELIZABETH MCCRACKEN, b. September 10, 1875; d. 1906.
21. vii. CHARLES RUSSELL MCCRACKEN, b. May 15, 1880; d. March 03, 1964.
22. viii. HUGH MELVIN MCCRACKEN, b. May 12, 1884; d. September 09, 1959.
23. ix. KATE MAE MCCRACKEN, b. September 01, 1885; d. October 29, 1963.
Children of SUSAN GREEN and CHARLES BROWNING are:
i. EDWARD OSCAR7 BROWNING, b. March 25, 1882; d. March 25, 1882, Buried in Columbus City Cemetery.
24. ii. LODIE GARFIELD BROWNING, b. July 01, 1883; d. November 09, 1959, Buried in Columbus City Cemetery.
25. iii. BESSIE MAE BROWNING, b. February 09, 1886; d. December 07, 1961, Carthage, Missouri. Buried in Columbus City Cemetery.
iv. BENJAMIN HARRISON BROWNING, b. December 26, 1889; d. July 1984; m. MARY MARGARET DUNPHY, March 24, 1939.
v. EVA MAUD BROWNING, b. December 18, 1891; d. March 19, 1960, Buried in Columbus City Cemetery; m. WALTER LEE JAMES, February 14, 1912.
26. vi. DELLA MATILDA BROWNING, b. May 10, 1898; d. March 15, 1992.
8. MARTHA ELLEN6 GREEN (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born July 17, 1856 in Telford, Tenn., and died August 06, 1926 in Buried Union Grove Cemetery, Cleveland, Tennessee. She married ISAAC RUSSELL LEACH November 05, 1882.
Children of MARTHA GREEN and ISAAC LEACH are:
i. SAMUEL DAY7 LEACH, b. January 20, 1884; d. January 23, 1884.9. EBENEZER MATHIS6 GREEN (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born January 08, 1859 in Telford, Tenn., and died July 23, 1941 in Buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Mexico, Missouri. He married CAROLINE E. WALLER February 14, 1878 in Mexico, Missouri, daughter of JOSEPH WALLER and MARY.
ii. JESSIE DEE LEACH, b. July 20, 1885; d. July 27, 1885.
27. iii. GEORGIA MAE LEACH, b. September 23, 1886; d. March 09, 1966.
iv. JANE KATHERINE LEACH, b. January 16, 1889; m. ROBERT WHITE.
28. v. ESSIE FLORINE LEACH, b. June 26, 1891; d. April 21, 1946, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
Children of EBENEZER GREEN and CAROLINE WALLER are:
29. i. MARY FLORENCE7 GREEN, b. November 27, 1878; d. April 1940.
30. ii. ALEX FRANK GREEN, b. May 26, 1880; d. October 1950, Queen City, Missouri.
31. iii. BLAINE GREEN, b. December 05, 1881.
iv. HARRY GREEN, b. May 05, 1891; d. 1920.
10. DAVID CROCKET6 GREEN (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born January 31, 1861 in Telford, Tenn., and died August 08, 1932 in Buried in Columbus City Cemetery. He married DORA SALVA BEACH May 31, 1888.
Children of DAVID GREEN and DORA BEACH are:
32. i. BESSIE GERTRUDE7 GREENE, b. August 04, 1889, Washington Co, Tennessee; d. November 30, 1965.11. JAMES MELVIN6 GREEN (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born March 24, 1863 in Telford, Tenn., and died May 04, 1939 in Buried in Columbus City Cemetery. He married EMMA C. ZIMMERMAN July 05, 1893, daughter of JOHN ZIMMERMAN and ANNA GIPPLE.
33. ii. FLORA AMANDA GREENE, b. March 22, 1891, Washington Co, Tennessee; d. February 20, 1979.
34. iii. HOWARD JOHNSTON GREENE, b. February 22, 1894; d. December 29, 1968.
iv. NOAH MCKINLEY GREENE, b. October 14, 1900; d. February 11, 1982; m. FLORENCE MARTIN, October 19, 1935.
35. v. MAUD LEAH GREENE, b. November 18, 1903; d. April 17, 1992, Buried in Cambrian Cemetery.
Children of JAMES GREEN and EMMA ZIMMERMAN are:
36. i. GERTRUDE G.7 GREENE, b. January 19, 1894; d. April 16, 1977.
37. ii. FAY MELVIN GREENE, b. August 15, 1895, Columbus City Twp., Louisa Co. Iowa; d. October 03, 1963, Buried in Columbus City Cemetery.
12. ROBERT FRANKLIN6 GREEN (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born August 04, 1866 in Telford, Tenn., and died October 11, 1943 in Muscatine, IA. He married LUCETTA IDA SANDERS November 17, 1898.
Children of ROBERT GREEN and LUCETTA SANDERS are:
38. i. MILDRED ELLEN7 GREEN, b. September 18, 1899; d. August 25, 1984, Muscatine Rest Home.
39. ii. ROBERT WENDELL GREEN, b. September 04, 1918, Muscatine, IA; d. June 12, 1953, Linz, Austria.
13. CHARLES RICHARD6 GREENE (LUCINDA JANE5 WATTENBERGER, MARY POLLY4HUMPHREYS, WILLIAM LESLIE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born March 10, 1869 in Telford, Tenn., and died April 13, 1942. He married MYRTLE CLOYD January 24, 1899.
Children of CHARLES GREENE and MYRTLE CLOYD are:
i. LAKE7 GREENE, b. March 15, 1899; d. October 21, 1945.
ii. CLYDE C. GREENE, b. January 25, 1901; d. July 1977, Texas.
iii. LESTER GREENE, b. May 04, 1903; d. June 16, 1958.
40. iv. LOUISE GREENE, b. August 25, 1910.
v. JASON GREENE, b. April 12, 1919.
William Leslie Humphreys
b. 17 September 1785
d. 13 October 1865
m.1) 17 February 1807 to Rebecca Hanna Carson
b. 17 September 1785Children:
d. 19 October 1838
m.2) 15 November 1839 to J. Gwinn, Washington Co., Tenn
m.3) 26 December 1850 to Sarah Whitlock
1. Mary (Polly)
Humphreys b. 3 September 1807 married on 26 May 1824 to Solomon
Wattenbarger (or Wattenberger) in Washington Co., Tennessee. More on the Wattenbarger pages.
John Humphreys b. abt. 1727, Virginia or Pennsylvania. Died 1796/1801. Estate filed Washington Co., Tenn., August Sessions, 1801; Moses and Jesse Humphreys, sons of John serving as Administrators. (Wash. Co., Inventories of Estates, Book 00, page 135)
Married Susannah (Susanna's maiden name unknown). Susannah still living in 1807 (selling her portion of land to John Houston). Wautauga Assoc. of Geneal. Bull., Vol. 7-9 (1978-80) Sinking Creek Baptist Church Obituaries. "Deaths included in Roll at First of Book 3, #4, Susannah Humphreys, Deceased 11/1821.
1. Richard, b. 1747/48 (calculated from tax records) d. about 1810. (Settlement of estate dtd. 1813, Montgomery Co., Tenn. for a Richard Humphreys. Daughter Elizabeth West, lived in this area. He married 1) Mary Polly H. (believed to be Hamilton as name iscarried through children) 2)Asenuth HuntReferences:
2. Moses b. 1760/65 (Family records indicate a date of 12/3/1749). d. 1827 per court records. Married Sarah Jobe.
3. Jesse B. d. 1832 Married Mary (Polly ) Hendry (dau. of George and Deborah Hendry). (WPA Court Records, Carter Co., Moses petitioned to have Jesse declared idiot -1821.). No children.
4. Jehue (Family believes Jehue's name to be John J.) b. about 1755, d. 1823. Believed to have married a Carter or a Melvin.
5. Elisha b. 3/12/1763; d. 3/ 1844. Married Susan Elizabeth Broyles in APril 1788. Buried Carter Co.
6. Elizabeth Humphreys b. 26 December 1761 in Frederick Co., Virginia, d. 15 August 1837 in Washington County, Tennessee who married William Greenway
b. 1756; d. 4/3/1839. Married before 1778. Large Family
7. George b. 1/20/1769; d. 1/14/1855. Buried Wash. co., Tn. Carr Cemetery, Lone Pine Farm. Married Louvisa Carr (Dau. of John and Louvisa (Isbell) Carr. Louvisia b. 12/10/177; d. 12/31/1846. Married about 1799
8. Another daughter, name unknown, who was a Mrs. Thompson mentioned in court case: John Humphreys vs. George Humphreys, Chancery Court Docket, Vol. M., pgs. 323,324 (May 8, 1845:..."issue of two sisters of Elisha Humphreys, Mrs. Greenway and Mrs. Thompson, who have died since. Mrs. Thompson was in the will of Jesse Humphreys (brother) Her portion shared by her children: Larkin, John , Isham and Susannah.
1. Family TreeMaker
CD Vol. I
2. Other family information found in Washington County, Tennessee Vital Records for documentation purposes.
3. Aileen Bennett, 219 Outer Drive, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 ABen219@aol.com