Here is the rationalization of the link to this Christoph with the one from Althutte.
The time line of Koberstein records in Colonie Brinsk (1834-1892):
The earliest Koberstein vital statistic in Colonie Brinsk is June 6, 1834 for the birth of Christophs daughter Wilhelmine. The latest Koberstein vital statistic in Colonie Brinsk is September 27, 1892 for Carl Hermann Saube son of Johann Saube and Therese nee Koberstein daughter of Johann Friedrick Gottfried Koberstein son of Christoph. Thus Carl is the Great Grandson of Christoph. Thus Koberstein vital statistics covers 58 years in the little village of Colonie Brinsk, West Prussia. Two of Christophs sons (probable), Ludwig Sr., and Martin immigrated to America about 1854/6.
Here is a probable birth record for Christoph's wife Maria Elizabeth Ikert (Jokert) born in nearby Czarnikau, Posen, Preußen, Germany.
The links below include some of the probable linked Koberstein information.
|name:||Maria Elisabeth Ikert|
|baptism/christening date:||20 Dec 1795|
|baptism/christening place:||Czarnikau, Posen, Preußen, Germany|
|birth date:||01 Dec 1795|
|father's name:||Gottfried Ikert|
|mother's name:||Maria Elisabeth Lentz|
|indexing project (batch) number:||C92628-1|
|source film number:||1191147|
Citing this Record: "Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NL4R-T3P : accessed 03 Nov 2012), Maria Elisabeth Ikert, 01 Dec 1795; citing reference 169, FHL microfilm 1191147.
Here is information about the area where Ludwig and brothers were from in Brinsk, Kries Strasburg, West Prussia:
Here is an interesting link to events that shaped the Geo-political landscape of lands of Poland and surrounding areas that would have shaped the immigration of Kobersteins'.
East & West Prussia Gazeteer:
by Steve Barthel
Pr (Provinces): OP = East Prussia, WP = West Prussia
|Cities, villages, farms, etc.||Pr||Kreis (district)||Protestant Parish||Catholic Parish||Civil Records Office|
FEESHS map of West Prussia:
GEOLOGICAL QUARTERLY: (http://www.pgi.waw.pl/geological_quarterly/02_1999/189.php)
Ice sheet maximum limit of the Vistulian Glaciation in the mid-eastern Chelmno-Dobrzyn Lakeland, northern Poland Wojciech WYSOTA The maximum extent of the Vistulian Glaciation in the mid-eastern Chelmno-Dobrzyn Lakeland fell on the Maximum Phase of the Main Substage (ca.20-18 ka BP). Geomorphologic and sedimentologic record of this phase combines a separate horizon of a lodgement till and associated glaciotectonites, a broad higher level of the Dobrzyn sandur, hills and ridges of end moraines, a push moraine ridge, tunnel valleys, as well as melt-out tills and sands with boulders. The ice sheet maximum limit is marked by a sedimentary scarp to the south of Brynsk, a morphologic scarp within a higher level of the Dobrzyn sandur to the south of Lidzbark
Welski, and a morainic hill to the south-east of Koszelewy. Two glacial lobes became distinct within the ice sheet during the maximum phase: the Brynsk lobe in the west (unfrozen to the bed, with its ice front in steady-state conditions), and the Lidzbark Welski lobe in the east (with complex thermal conditions). A well-developed subglacial drainage system was active within the Brynsk ice lobe, with meltwaters runoff along the glacial tunnel valleys of the Lake Brynsk and the Lake Lidzbark. At the maximum extent, the Lidzbark Welski lobe was in the steady-state conditions, similarly to the Brynsk lobe, and the higher level of the Dobrzyn sandur was formed to the south of Lidzbark Welski. To the south of Koszelewy, short ice-marginal fans were formed. A minor oscillation of the ice front and development of a push moraine occurred in the western part of the Lidzbark Welski ice lobe.
Wojciech Wysota, Department of Geology and Hydrogeology, Nicolaus Copernicus; University, Sienkiewicza 4, PL-87-100 Torun, Poland; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (received: January 12, 1999; accepted: March 9, 1999).
Here is the City Flag for Lautenburg (now Lidzbark Welski, Brodnica, Poland) on the left and Strasburg (now Brodnica, Poland) on the right.
Location in modern Poland of Strasburg (Brodnica), Lautenburg (Lidzbark Welski), and Colonie Brinsk (Brynsk-Kolonia):
Satellite view of Kolonia Brynsk (whole town) and close up of area with apparent Cemetery
Building across road from Kolonia Brynsk apparent Cemetery (two views)
Two views of Church across road from Cemetery
Here are the modern provinces for Poland, of course Strasburg (Brodnica), Lautenburg (Lidzbard Welski), and Colonie Brinsk (Brynsk-Kolonia) are in the province of Brodnica: (Actually the correct information is: Miejscowosc is Brynsk-Kolonia and the Powiat is Dzialdowski)
In the location of powiaty (county) in the map below.
Here is an account of a Kayak trip on the Wel River through the city of Lidzbark Welski (Lautenburg):
Flowing into Lidzbark Lake we went under nine bridges, and one railway bridge; now we pick up and carry the kayaks for 40 meters next to the functioning water mill and the hospitable cafe-bar "Sekret" (45.2 km). When you are in Lidzbark it isn't possible to resist resting in this beautiful town; it is especially good to rest here after difficult kayaking and you should visit the town. The history of Lidzbark is worth knowing, it has antique secular architecture (gothic castle tower and tenement houses) and sacral (Saint Wojciech Roman-Catholic Church from the 18th century, Evangelist Church from the 19th century, and the grotto of Saint Mary the Holy Virgin from 1945), the Fireman's Museum, the first one in Poland and the new Nature Museum.
You may rest on Lidzbark Lake 44.0 km (area: 122 ha, depth: medium 10.1 m to a maximum of 27.7 m, length: 3.5 km), seeing Ekofloks which repairs the quality of the water; on the south bank there are many resting centers; on the south-east part there is a Forest Educational Path; around the lake there are many sources and ravines. We encounter here the biggest forest complexes in the province. The outflow is next to the inflow (the river is divided by a peninsula), farther, we flow through a small lake named Marek and next we go under the Lidzbark-Brodnica Bridge and head in the direction of Kurojady. Once again we flow through a picturesque ravine along the length of the nature reserve LAS NADWELSKI-a forest complex that is growing in the area full of outwash cut by the Wel Valley. On the west side of the Wel River there are the fields of Ciechanówko Village and there is a small (about 3 ha) protected ecological area KUROJADY encircling a meander of the Wel River. In Kurojady (38.5 km) we have to once again pick up and carry the kayaks on the left bank (private area). After 3 km we flow under the bridge and jump aside of the river next to the closed mill in Chelsty 36.0 km, here we pick up the kayaks on the right side. After the mill there are 400 meters of rapids, you need kayaking experience here. It will be better for you to see from the bank how to continue to kayak. In the north from the village there is a wet meandering valley where bamboo grows, and so do rushes with a plant community typical for a peat bog (with pine and birches), it is a good place for existing species of water birds. The encircled area is protected like the ecological protected area of Chelsty (area: about 14 ha).
Here is a description of the Welski park near Lidzbark Welski:
Welski Lanscape Krajobrazowy:
Welski Landscape Park (Welski Park Krajobrazowy) was created December 18, 1995, in the former province of Ciechanów with a surface are of 20,057 hectares, including 3,793 hectares of buffer zones. A halfyear later 4,180 hectares were added from the former province of Torun. The most attractive part of the river Wel flows in the park through numerous lakes, and there are many more beautiful lakes, peat bogs, and forests. The largest amount of land in the Park (with buffer zones) is devoted to farming (57%), then comes forests (31%), waters (5%), and other (7%). In the years 1990-95, much of Welski Landscape Park was abuffer zone of Górzniensko- Lidzbarski Landscape Park. However, it became obvious that the area now known as Welski Landscape Park with the river Wel, peatbogs andlakes was vastly different from Górzniensko-Lidzbarski Landscape Park, and required different administration. So the two were divided. The geography of Welski Landscape Park was determined by baltic glaciation. This created a very interesting sculpture of moraines, sandy plains, and post glacial troughs (often water-filled). The Park is divided into two mezoregions, the hill Lubawski and the plain Urszulewska. The Wel flows roughly along the boundary between the two, through numerous lakes. Wel is not a big river, but provides one of the most interesting kayaking routes in Poland. North of Lidzbark, in the area of Chelsty, the Wel becomes a rushing mountain stream. Fish species occur here which are more characteristic of mountains, such as the river trout, the sea trout, the european grayling, and the stream lamprey. Rocks in the stream bed can be found covered with the rare (in the lowlands) red algae Hildenbrandia rivularis. Bird watchers, with a little luck, might have the pleasure of seeing a brown dipper, usually found in the foothills. Scientists of natural history became interested in the area in the 19th century. The earliest investigators were teams of German botanists because the area of the Wel was at that time located in Eastern Prussia (administrative district - nidzicki (Kreis Neidenburg) and also in Western Prussia (administrative districts lubawski-Kreis Lobau and brodnicki - Kreis Strasburg). Researchers making the greatest contributions at this time were: H. Preuss, H. v. Klinggraeff, W. Wangerin, E.F. Ahlfrengren, and E. Rosenbohm. A Polish researcher named Z. Czubinski began work in the 1930's in this area. In the 1970's many articles and publications appeared about the area from the Nicholas Copernicus University in Torun and the University of Agriculture end Technology in Olsztyn. Master's theses, records of precious objects, and reports from scientific excursions were published relating to the Park. In Welski Landscape Park, the flora is unusually rich and varied. Recent investigations revealed many protected and rare plants. There are 45 species of protected vascular plants: fragrant orchid Gymnadenia conopsea, narrow-leafed marsh orchid Dactylorhiza traunsteineri, fen orchid Liparis loeselii, adder`s-mouth orchid Malaxis monophyllos, bird's nest orchid Neottia nidus-avis, giant horsetail Equisetum telmateia, twinflower Linnaea borealis, european bugbane Cimicifuga europa and many others. Another interesting group of plants is the relicts from the postglacial period, which once appeared in great numbers: marsh saxifrage Saxifraga hirculus - the most rare species in the park, shrubby birch Betula humilis, stringed sedge Carex chordorrhiza, jacob's ladder Polemonium caeruleum, marsh violet Viola epipsila, arnica Arnica montana, reddish pondweed Potamogeton alpinus, twinflower Linnaea borealis, and, among the mosses are Paludella squarosa, Helodium balandowii, Tomenthypnum nitens, Scorpidium scorpioides, and Cinclidium stygium. Most ofthe rare and protected plants grow in the peatbogs and forests. The greatest concentrations of them are to be found in the areas of Murawki, Kopaniarze, and Rybno. Of the vertebrate animals, there are about 300 species in the Park, the largest group being the birds. The rare species of birds which have breeding areas in the park include; lesser spotted eagle Aquila pomarina, goldeneye Bucephala clangula, black stork Ciconia nigra, redbacked shrike Lanius collurio, black kite Milvus migrans, red kite Milvus milvus, hoopoe Upupa epops, wood sandpiper 1ringa glareola, common sandpiper Actitis hypoleucos, and common crane Grus grus. These species occur most often in the swamps, peat bogs, lakes and rivers. Som e species merely pass through the area, and don't breed here. Among these are rare species such as the whitetailed eagle Haliaeetua albicilla, osprey Pandion haliaetus, whooper swan Cygnus cygnus, canadian goose Branta canadensis, long-tailed duck Clangula hyemalis, dipper Cinclus cinclus, black throated diver Gavia arctica, common scoter Malanitta nigra, and ruff Philomachus pugnax. There are 47 species of mammals in the Park. Some of the more common are roe deer Capreolus capreolus, stag Cervus elaphus, red fox Vulpes vulpes, wild pig Sus scrofa, red squirrel Sciurus vulgaris, and Natterer's bat Myotis nattereri. Rare species that can be found include the northern birch mouse Sicista betu lina, river otter Lutra lutra, common noctule Nyctalus noctula, Leisler's bat Nyctalus leisleri, and common barbastelle Barbastella barbastellus. Rare species of amphibians and reptiles include green toad Bufo viridis, running toad Bufo calamita, fire-bellied toad Bombina bombina, tree frog Hyla arborea, common northern viper Vipera berus, grass snake Natrix natrix, green lizard Lacerta viridis, and mud turtle Emys orbicularis. The most environmentally sensitive areas ofthe Park have been given strict protection. These preserves are Ostrów Tarczynki, Bagno Koziana, and Czapliniec Werski. Four additional areas, Bladowo, Torfowisko Wspierskie, Chelsty and Kurojady have lesser degrees of protection. An area proposed for the status of preserve is Torfowisko Kopaniarze, which straddles the river Wel south of Kopaniarze, and is the best example of a typical low peatbog in the Park and the region. Torfowisko Kopaniarze contains many relict and protected species of plants. There are also som e nature trails and bicycle paths to be found in the Park. Amon g these are the nature trail on the "Neliwa Lake", the nature trail near Lake Lidzbark, and the bicycle paths: to the "Piekielko" and the bicyle path around Lake Rumian. These provide attractive views ofthe most scenic lakes of Welski Landscape Park. In addition to the natural attractions, one should visit the Muzeum Przyrody in the municipal nursery school in Lidzbark. Here are a number of prepared animal exhibits, preserved plants, show-clises of insects, and many beautiful pictures. Fully supplanted with a slide show accompanied by the songs of birds, a visit here will provide a overview of nature and leave an unforgettable impression. Many of the crossroads in the Park have beautiful shrines (kapliczki) watching them. They are varied in shape and design, and were worth looking at. This guide provides phone numbers and addresses of institutions which can be of assistance to tourists under the heading "Informacje praktyczne". So welcome to Welski Landscape Park and enjoy the beauty of the area.
Gorzno is a town near Brynsk-Kolonia, Poland that tells something of the area. Furthermore this is where the Catholic records are held, which at various times held the records of even the Evangelical Church.
The town of Gorzno lies in the Gorzniensko - Lidzbarski Landscape Park. Attractive formation of the terrain (lakes, woods, hills and beautiful views) creates ideal conditions for rest and recreation, and also for further development of tourist facilities. Outside the borders of the Landscape Park, in villages of Golkowo, Szczutowo, Miesiaczkowo and Zaborowo, we plan the development of food transformation, agrotourism and artisanal workshops.
History in short
The main centre of the commune is the picturesque town Górzno, beautifully placed on a hill beside two lakes: Mlynskie and Górzno. Górzno gained town rights in 1327, and was a property of plock bishops. It was a seat of property office and of a decanate. The first partition of Poland in 1772 caused occupation of Górzno and surrounding lands by the Prussian State. The occupation was very unfortunate for Górzno. Destroyed during a fire in 1773, Górzno lost town rights, which it regained only in 1833.
The main historical attraction of Górzno is it's town square and neighboring streets, which partly survived till present times. Other attraction of interest to visiting tourists is the church built in the years from 1765 to 1812, in the baroque - classic style. There is a beautiful mansion park in the village of Miesiaczkowo. Unfortunately the 19 tn century mansion building did not survived. In the village of Traczyska exists a wooden water - mill.
Comments on letter in Polish:
1890 list wyslany 19.XII z Lidzbarka Welskiego (Lautenburg) adresowany do miejscowosci Colonie Brinsk gdzie dotarl 20.XII zwrócony do nadawcy.
Polish to English Machine translation:
Letter (list) sent with (from) address to locality 1890 ( ) 19.XII Lidzbarka Welskiego Lautenburg Colonie Brinsk where it has gotten on for sender returned 20.XII.
Lidzbark Welski was founded by the Teutonic Order as Lautenburg in 1301. The town's Roman Catholic parish church was constructed in 1350.
Wladyslaw II Jagiello led his army through Lidzbark on September 9, 1410 before the Battle of Grunwald. On September 29, 1413, some of the Teutonic Knights in the town mutinied against Heinrich von Plauen the Elder; they were only appeased with Plauen's replacement with Michael Küchmeister von Sternberg. In 1466 Lidzbark became part of the Polish province Royal Prussia after the Second Peace of Torun. A large portion of the city was destroyed by fire in 1764.
During the Partitions of Poland, the city became a part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1772. During the Napoleonic Wars it was part of the Duchy of Warsaw from 1807-1815, but reverted to Prussia afterwards.
In 1772, the population had 510 inhabitants. The city had 83 timbered buildings. Agriculture was common in the area along with crafting. In 1789, the population reached 802 of which 41 families were craftsmen.
In the beginning of the 20th century, the city had breweries, sawmills, iron mill, engine works and dairy products. Cattle were very common in the area especially wood and grain productions. In 1920, the area became a part of the Second Polish Republic.
The population in 1943 was 4,329. 70% of the city was destroyed during World War II.
The Gmina of Lidzbark covers an area of 225 km² with 15,149 persons. They are:
Adamowo, Brynsk, Cibórz, Ciechanówko, Jelen, Kielpiny, Klonowo, Lidzbark, Nick, Nowy Dwór, Nowy Zielun, Stare Dlutowo, Slup, Wlewsk, Wapiersk, Zalesie