Isabelle Heywood Shapleigh was the second of five children of William Augustus Shapleigh and Ellen Rogers Pickering.
The following information is from the New England Historic Genealogical Society's Register1
William Augustus Shapleigh was born 14 Sep 1836 in Hallowell, ME, and died 8 Sept 1900 in Melrose, MA.
Ellen Rogers Pickering, born 2 Jan 1851 in Portland, ME, died 30 Mar 1916 in Portland, ME, was the daughter of Manthano Pickering and Rhoda "Libby" Davis.
Their children were:
- Effie Louise Shapleigh, b. 24 Aug 1873 in Portland, ME. She married Walter Henry Norris and had four children: Elizabeth Norris b. 1898 in Melrose, MA, who married Dwight Kilton Andrew; Katherine Norris (unmarried); Edward John Norris b. 1908, a US Army officer; and Emerson Shapleigh Norris, b. 1911, a chemist.
- Isabelle Heywood Shapleigh
- Marian Shapleigh, b. 30 May 1880 in Melrose, MA, d. 22 Jun 1963. She married Charles Dunkel Hammer (b. 9 Mar 1844, d. 3 May 1932) on 10 Feb 1911 in Pasadena, CA. They had two daughters, Mary Pickering Hammer (b. 4 Jan 1913) and Charlotte Dunkel Hammer (b. 22 Dec 1914). Both daughters were born in Newton, Essex Co., MA. Thanks to Chuck Heron for corrections and additions to this family's information.
- Helen Augusta Shapleigh, b. 19 Oct 1888 in Melrose, MA, married a lawyer, James Russell Lowell, b. 1 Aug 1886 in Portland, ME. The Lowells had two children: Elizabeth Shapleigh Lowell and Mary Shapleigh Lowell.
- William Pickering Shapleigh, b. 27 Feb 1890 in Melrose, MA, married on 18 Sept 1923 in Knoxville, TN to Dorothy Dow, b. 24 Aug 1900 in Knoxville, TN, the daughter of Samuel Billings Dow and Maria Aebli.
1. NEHGR vol. XCVI Jan 1942, p. 35 ("Alexander Shapleigh of Kittery, Maine, and Some of His Descendants")
return to COCHRANE homepage