Related Families: Mattle | Keeny
Deacon, was born in the year 1610, without doubt in Scotland, though in
what part of Scotland there is no means of knowing. Had he been born in
England, and been acquainted with his wife from childhood, there would
doubtless have been mention of the Douglases on the parish records of Ringstead,
the home of his wife and her family, the Mattles. His father, whose name
there is reason to believe was Robert
was born 8 June 1588 in Scotland, and beyond this point no effort has been
able to penetrate in this line. How and where William Douglas became acquainted
with his wife, Ann
is unknown; but their marriage must have taken place at his parish church,
probably in 1636, when they were, each of them, 26 years old, as their
daughter Ann was born in 1637.
Ann was the only daughter of Thomas Mattle of Ringstead, Northampton, England, where she was born in 1610, the year of her husband's birth. She had two brothers, both older than she -- Robert, born in Ringstead 5 October 1595, and William, baptized at the parish church 6 April 1599. Of these, William appears to have died young, no mention being made of him when the family estate was inherited by Ann; and Robert, the eldest of the children, was unmarried or without descendants at the time of his death, for Ann was the "next heare." Robert and the father, Thomas, both died previous to 1670, the latter probably many years before, and their property fell to Ann. It thus appears that Ann's descendants are the only descendants of Thomas Mattle, who, judging by the birth of his son Robert, was born as early as 1575.
William Douglas emigrated to New England with his wife and two children, Ann and Robert, in 1640, though the exact time of their arrival and the name of the ship which brought them is unknown. The very common tradition is that the company landed at Cape Ann, Massachusetts. William settled at Gloucester (founded 1624) nearby, but removed to Boston that same year, 1640. The first mention of him on the Boston records is under date of "The 31st of the 6th moneth, 1640." (August 31, 1640). "William Douglas is allowed to be a townsman, he behaving himselfe as becometh a Christian man." He did not, however, remain in Boston, but removed the next year to Ipswich, where he was entitled to a share of the public land, 28 February, 1641. (Ipswich Rec. Vol. 1). He remained at Ipswich some four years, returning to Boston in 1645. He was made a freeman 1646.
He followed the cooper's trade (barrel maker) in Boston, and May 1646 purchased of Walter Merry and Thomas Anchor, "one dwelling house in Boston, situate betweene the lotts of John Sweet and John Seabury, together with the shopp which was Thomas Anchor's and the ground there unto belonging. " Also, "March 12, 1647, of Walter Merry, one little house with the house late in the tenure and occupation of John Newsgrove, adjoining to the former house and ground." June 20, 1648, he sold, "unto Henry Browne of Limehouse, mariner, a parcel of land, part of his house-lott in Boston, containing fifty six perches, (rods), three quarters, of land be the same more or less; being in front at the sea thirty one foote, and in fronte toward the street fyve rod, three foote, or thereabouts." In December 1659, he purchased of William Hough of New London, Conn., "the house that was Robert Isbell's in New Street."
Soon after in 1660, he removed with his wife and three of his children, Robert, Sarah and William, to New London, where, that same year, he purchased "a house on the so. side of meeting-house hill." Miss Caulkins, the historian, in her History of New London, speaking of the house in 1865 says: "The house is very ancient, and a part of it, which has heavy timbers overhead and is propped with rude posts in the area, probably belongs to the first dwelling built upon the spot, which was before 1670." A tract of land "by the waterside, on the bank so. of Mr. Raymond's" was also granted him in renumeration of services to the town; the first, in 1660, consisting of 60 acres and described as being "three miles or more west of the town plot, with a brook running through it." This farm was inherited by his second son, William, and remained in the family, in the direct line of his male descendants, for over two centuries.
New London had first been called Pequot Harbor, because of the Pequod or Pequot Indians -- a very formidable tribe -- having their principal settlement on a hill at that location. The Indian name for New London was Nameaug, meaning "fishing place." New London had such a good natural harbor that it was written, "a ship of 500 tons may go up to the town and come so near shore that they may toss a basket on shore."
In the winter of 1662-3, William Douglas and Cary Latham were appointed appraisers of property for the town of New London. They duly made their appraisal, which was delivered to the General Court at Hartford. But for some reason, the court was not satisfied with the results, and:
At this proceeding, which was altogether too severe, the town was indignant; and, at a Town Meeting held March 31, it was resolved that "Whereas Cary Latham and Mr. Douglas are by the Court fined for not fully presenting the town list anno 1662, the town see cause to petition the court as a greivance, not finding wherein they have failed except in some few houses.""At a Gen. Assembly held at Hartford, March 11, 1662-3.
'This court having duly considered the valuation of ye estate of New London, apprised by Cary Latham and William Douglas, doe judge, that they have not attended any rule of Righteousness in their works, but have acted very corruptly therein, and therefore doe order the Treasurer that he send forth his Warrant to ye Constable of N. London, to Levy Four pounds upon ye estate of Cary Latham, and Two pounds vpon Mr. Douglas his estate, as a fine for their corrupt and deceatful acting therein'."
The remonstrance had the desired effect, and:
In 1665, the church at New London began to feel some uneasiness in regard to their minister's views. In 1661, the Rev. Gershom Bulkley had succeeded the Rev. Richard Blinman as preacher. When he came he entered into a covenant, as Miss Caulkins says: "To become minister of the town on a salary of 80 pounds for three years; and afterwards more, if the people found themselves able to give it." February 25, 1664-5, their uneasiness had increased, but the town voted that "they were willing to leave Mr. Bulkley to the libertye of his conscience without compelling him or enforcing him to anything in the execution of his place and office contrarye to his light according to the laws of the commonwealth.""At a Gen. Assembly of Electors held at Hartford, May 14, 1663,
'This Court remite Cary Latham and Mr. Douglas fine, which was imposed upon them by the Court in March, for there transmissions in making their list."
The application was unsuccessful and October 9th another town meeting was held, in which "Mr. Douglas was by a full voate none manifesting themselves contrary, was chosen to goe to Mr. Wilson and Mr. Eliott to desire there advice and help for the procurinage of a minister." November 24, -- "A town meeting concerning what Mr. Douglas hath done about a minister" was held, and they decided to extend a call to the Rev. Simon Bradstreet, of Boston. In consideration of his journey to Boston for a minister, twenty acres were added by the town to Mr. Douglas' farm.June 10, 1665 -- "The Towne understanding Mr. Buckleys intention to goe into the Bay have sent James Morgan and Mr. Douglas to desire him to stay untill second day com seavent-night wich day the Towne have agreed to ask again Mr. Fitch to speake with him in order to know Mr. Buckleys mynde fullye whether he will continue with us or no to preach the gospell."
The Society of Colonial Wars Index of Ancestors show William Douglas as Commander of the Army, Province of Connecticut, in King Phillip's War. His genealogy can be seen in Newberry Library in Chicago, Illimois, as #E7D7463."This Council doe appoynt and fully impower Mr. Daniel Witherell and Mr. William Douglas of New London to be Commissarys to the army at that place or elsewhere as they shall be appointed, to see to the provisions, arms, ammunition and other such things as shall be needfull for the warr, and to provide what shall be wanting and dispose of such things as are committed to them or either of them, according to such orders as shall be given them, and the duty of that place in all respects and what either of them shall doe in attendance of that duty shall be held as good, whether it be for impressing or quartering or any other thing within the compass of that office; and they are to keep true accompts of all their transactions, and to render their accompts, or any other estate of the country's in their custody, to such as shall be impowered to require and receive the same."
June 21 -- "the Councill ordered that Mr. Willerby and Mr. Dowglass send to Norwich to be deluerede to Commissary Tracey, seven hundred of bread, a barrell of porek, ten bushells of pease and fifty bush: of Indian corn, and powder and bullits in their hands and fifty pounds of tobacco; and in case Capt. Denison send for any Indian corn they are to send to Norwich, all of which is to be at Norwich Munday night next."
to the LEGENDS