Triple maternal descent
(1) Maria Elizabeth Nellesin, born by or before about 1677, probably in Germany, made her initial appearance on the Hunter Lists on 30 June 1710 with three persons over 10 years of age and one person under 10 years of age in her household. More information is forthcoming in 1999.
Johann Wilhelm "William"
of Queensbury, New York, and #547 on the Hunter Rolls. He was a volunteer
soldier in 1711 on an expedition to Canada against the French. For this
service, he, and 26 others, were given title to 12,000 acres known as the
Stone Arabia patent. William Nelles received lots 32A and 42 in 1723.
In 1729, he assisted in the construction
of a log church at Stone Arabia. it was replaced in 1792 by the wooden
church known as the Stone Arabia Trinity Lutheran Church. On 31 May 1735,
William was deeded land that remained in the family for 10 generations.
The deed is currently in possession of Helen and Curtis Nellis (1994).
On 28 December 1714 when Johann Wilhelm was 20, he married Anna Sabina Dyckert, born 1 January 1697/1698 in Langensebold, Germany, buried in Stone Arabia, Tryon Co., New York. Her godparents were Sabina and Peter Blum.
He was naturalized at Albany, New York, on 31 January 1715/1716 with his brother. He was a patentee of the Stone Arabia Patent.
In 1744 Johann William Nelles's family was listed by Pastor Sommer as consisting of Wilhelm, Andreas (Adolph), Anna Elisabetha, Johannes, Ludwig, Henrich, Maria, Anna Margaretha, and Elisabetha.
Wilhelm Nellis and wife, Sabina sponsored the baptism of Joh. Wilhelm Duslar, born 27 December 1754, son of Jacob and Anna Duslar. William and wife, Wina, sponsored Maria Saltzmann, 28 April 1757.
William granted William, Jr., 231 acres, 2 rods in lot 4 on the north side of the Mohawk River at Canajoharie on 26 December 1760, recorded 6 February 1772 (Book 9, p. 37 )
William Nelles was listed as a freeholder at Canajoharie in 1763.
In 1767, William Nellis, yeoman of Canajoharie, granted Hendrick Nellis part of lot 8 which amounted to 232 acres on the banks of thr Mohawk at Canajoharie and Johannis 91 acres 2 rods on the north side of the Mohawk at Canajoharie. Both were recorded 13 Mar 1767.
William Nellis and Anna Sabina were sponsors for Anna Lepper on 26 January 1767, daughter of Jacob and Anna Sabina Lepper. In 1768, the Patent issued to John Bracken was identified as bordered by land granted to George Klock, W. Nelles & others on the East side of Canada Creek.
William mentioned in his will, his beloved wife, eldest and first born son Andreas, sons William, Johannes, Ludwig, and Henry; daughters Catherine wife of Christian Dagstater, Maria, wife of Adam Empie, Margaret, wife of Nicholas Snell; and grandchildren William Wormuth, Robert Nellis, Warner Nelles, and Maria Dagsteter the daughter of Adam Ecker who had died, and three grandsons Robert, Peter, and John, sons of his own son, Henry. (Note: old abstracts of William's will mention "granddaugher Maria Dagsteter daughter of Adam Empie, deceased". Should read "granddaughter Maria Dagsteter daughter of Adam Ecker, deceased".)
William died 17 January 1778, age 84 years and 10 days according to Stone Arabia Church records.
Maria Nellis Empie sent a letter dated 26 Aug 1785 to her brother Henry, then in Canada, that 'his mother' was very ill and "desirous that he return for a visit". Maria also mentions that Henrick William's son, Peter, was "soon to marry Elizabeth Snidar."
In 1976 the farm of Wilhem Nellis was still in the family having passed down thru Ludwig's line to Curtis Nellis. In 1996, John Gregory Nellis, Curt's nephew, owned the farm. Nearby, the Warner Dygert farm also remained in the family and was being farmed by Robert C. Dygert (20 January 1976).
(3) Andreas "Andrew" Nellis, born on 30 October 1715 in West Camp, Ulster Co., New York, died in Palatine, Tryon Co., New York, about 1783 at age 67, on his way home from the Wormuth's place. Letters of administration on his estate were made 20 January 1784, Papers #229. In 1735 when Andreas was 19, he married in the Mohawk River Valley, New York, Catherine Fox, born 1717 in East Camp, Haysbury, now Dutchess Co., New York. His farm may have been on what is now Budnik Road, Palatine, Montgomery Co., New York.
Philip "Lipps" Nellis,
farmer, was born on 1 December 1746 in Stone Arabia, Albany Co., New York,
and died 18 November 1818 in Fairfield, Herkimer Co., New York, at age
71. His godparents were said to have been his oldest sister Anna
Marie and their cousin, Phillip
Fox. He was
buried in Remersnyders Bush Lutheran Churchyard, Herkimer Co., New York.
Some sources indicate he was buried at Family plot on Peter P. Nellis'
farm in Fairfield.
Lipps attended school at Stone Arabia, and, while German was the language used, he also learned English.
In 1770 when Philip was 23, he married in Cherry Valley, Albany Co., New York, Elizabeth Dietz, born about 10 June 1752 in Cherry Valley, Albany Co., New York, died 12 January 1825 in Fairfield, Herkimer Co., New York, at age 72 years 7 months. She was buried in Remersnyders Bush Lutheran Chyd, Herkimer Co., New York. Her godparents were Johannes Merkel & Elis: Margaret Hauchin. It has been suggested that Elizabeth was not well accepted in the Nellis family because she belonged to the Reformed Church.
Philip was living on a 200 acre farm in or near Fairfield at the time of his marriage but returned to the Palatine area in 1771 and, in 1775, purchased the family farm from his brother Andrew and took over the care of his aging father.
Philip signed a declaration of confidence in the Continental Congress on 15 May 1775.
As a member of the Second Tryon County Militia, Klock's Regiment, Suts Company, Lipps was wounded during the battle of Oriskany, 6 Aug 1777. He was partially disabled for the rest of his life after receiving a bullet to his shoulder. He apparently also fought at the battle of Saratoga on 4 Sep 1777. There is a family story that while detailed to the Hudson where, while he and others ferried George Washington across the river, a 26 pound sturgeon flipped itself aboard and the hungry men promptly cooked and ate it. On 19 October 1780, Phillip was present at the battle of Stone Arabia, and shortly after that battle, Phillip's house was burned in the rampage. His wife and children fled to Fort Nellis for safety.
Noted in an old family bible "Philip Nellis, born December 1, 1746, is the father of thirteen children, six boys and seven girls, two out of the seven dead. Seventy children's children, fifteen out of the seventy dead, two great grand children."
to the LEGENDS Menu