The Mabrys of Abbeville and Edgefield Counties descend from one of four Mabrys, all of whom were born between 1779 and 1790:
Circumstantial evidence suggests that James Eaton, Bartholomew, and Dudley were brothers and that they were the sons of Delilah Mabry, who was a widow living in Edgefield County at the time of the 1800 census. While it is possible that Reuben Langdon Mabry was another son of Delilah Mabry, there is also evidence that he may have come from New Jersey and was thus not directly related. We have yet to discover the name of Delilah's husband who may have died shortly before 1800. It is also possible that Delilah had no husband. Delilah Mabry sold her property in Edgefield County in 1806 and moved to adjacent Abbeville County. Most of the records of her presumed sons are found in Abbeville County after that date.
- James Eaton Mabry(b ca 1779)
- Dr. Reuben Langdon Mabry(b ca 1782)
- Bartholomew Mabry(b ca 1783)
- Dudley Mabry(b ca 1790).
James Eaton1 Mabry (or Eaton A.) b ca 1779 NC; m Ursula Young; in Pendleton Co SC by 1820; moved to Shelby Co AL by 1830; Pickens Co AL 1840; then Chickasaw Co MS; d after 1852 MS; in 1809 he was an appraiser for the estate of Sarah Greene in Abbeville County. Dudley and Bartholomew Mabry were witnesses to her will and Delilah Mabry was one of the buyers in the Greene estate.
- James Brown2 Mabryb ca 1820 SC; m Sallie _____; He was in Choctaw Co MS 1860 along with James S. Mabry, son of Dudley Mabry; also living in his household in 1860 was Cynthia Richardson, age 67 (born in NC)
- Emily2 Mabrym Richard Howard (when she died Richard married her sister, Missouri Ann Mabry).
- Frances H.2 Mabrym John Bentley
- Missouri Ann2 Mabryb ca 1831 AL; m Richard Howard
- William Harrision2 ("Hash") Mabryb 24 Jul 1832 Shelby Co AL; m 2 Apr 1865 Frances Pepper; d 25 Jun 1898 Calhoun Co MS.
- Angeline2 Mabryb ca 1835 AL; m Sylvanus Green Taylor; d Chickasaw Co MS.
- Little B. C.2 Mabry(Little Berry Clark?) b ca 1837 AL
- Thomas T.2 Mabry(aka Thomas Clark Mabry) b ca 1839 AL; m Tempy Howard (she m George Pepper after the death of Thomas in the Civil War).
- Nancy Rebecca2 Mabryb ca 1842 MS; m1 D. G. Hearron; m2 Francis Marion Burgess
- Elizabeth2 Mabryb. ca 1849 MS.
Dr. Reuben Langdon1 Mabry was born about 1782 in NC. He married about 1812 Mary (Polly) Tompkins. He died in 1853 and is buried in the Cokesbury Cemetery near Greenwood, S.C. An article by Julia B. Mabry in the Abbeville County Family History states that Reuben Langdon Mabry was born in Sussex, N. J. and came to Liberty Hill in Old Abbeville District, later settling in Cokesbury. However it is unlikely that he was born in New Jersey as the census records all give North Carolina as his place of birth. The New Jersey tradition probably stems from the fact that his father-in-law, Stephen Tompkins, came from New Jersey.
- Dr. Thomas Jefferson2 Mabryb 16 Nov 1815; m1 Elizabeth Perrin (d/o Thomas Perrin); Elizabeth died 26 Mar 1837 and is buried in a cemetery described as on the line between Edgefield and McCormick Counties about 1.5 miles northeast of Liberty Hill, SC (about 8 miles east of the town of McCormick); m2 ca 1850 Frances E. Boyd; lived in Abbeville Co SC; lived in "Newberry in July 1844 when his brother, Matthias wrote about him in his journal; d 26 Oct 1896; buried in Abbeville Co SC. All children below are by Frances E. Boyd.
- Dr. John Chapell2 Mabryb 14 Jan 1818; d Mar 31, 1845 in Memphis, TN (referred to in the journal of Matthias Washington Mabry as "my oldest brother").
- Stephen Tompkins2 Mabryb 17 Jul 1812/13 (tombstone says 17 Jul 1819); d October 2, 1843; buried in Abram-Shell Family Cemetery.
- Dr. Matthias Washington2 Mabryb. Sept 21, 1822 Edgefield Co SC; graduated from the University of Virginia with an M.D. degree on 4 Jul 1842; m1 before Sept 1848 Amanda Katherine Farr (d/o Titus Greene Farr) by whom he had his first 12 children. Amanda was born 16 Nov 1835 in Union Co SC and died in White Co Ga 1 Jun 1873. Dr. M. W. Mabry m2 _____ by whom he had one child that died young; he m3 21Sep 1893 Angeline Leopard Wright by whom he had three children; he d 9 Sep 1902 Augusta, GA; d 9 Sep 1902 Augusta. GA
- Elizabeth B.2 Mabrym. Dr. Benjamin A. Ross 6 Jan 1843 in Edgefield County, SC
- Dr. James Flitcher2 Mabryb 24 Jun 1824 (in 1850 he was living with his brother, Thomas J. Mabry and listed as a "medical student"); m by 1863 to Mary Julia Keller (d/o David and Nancy Keller); d 23 Feb 1878.
- Mary B. Farr2 Mabryb 25 Oct 1827 in Union Co SC; d 27 Apr 1914 Augusta, GA.
- Caroline C.2 Mabryb ca 1831 Abbeville Co SC; m Robert D. Meek; Living in Holmes Co MS in 1857.
- Dr. Lucien L.2 Mabryb ca 1833; graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia; d 3 Jun 1858, Abbeville Co SC.
- Samuel W.2 Mabryb. ca. 1835 (listed as 32, attorney, living with his brother Dr. Thomas Mabry in the 1860 census of Abbeville Co SC.
- Ann2 Mabry
- Barbara2 Mabrym Wyatt C. Holmes; lived in Holmes Co MS in 1857; (named as distributee in the estate of Reuben L. Mabry).
Bartholomew Nathaniel1 Mabry was born about 1783 in North Carolina. He married Rebecca ?Hazel and by 1816 was in Monroe County, Alabama (Mississippi Territory). By 1820 they were Shelby County Alabama. Bartholomew died 6 May 1853 in Conway County Arkansas. In 1808 he and Dudley Mabry were witnesses to the will of Sarah Greene in Abbeville County. Eaton Mabry was also an appraiser of the Sarah Greene estate. Bartholomew and his sons, Hazel and Thomas were in Chickasaw County, MS when the state census was taken in 1841.
- Hazel2 "Hash" Mabryb 20 Sep 1812 Abbeville Co SC; m1 Nancy Jane ______; m2 15 Jul 1858 Jane Tier in Conway Co AR; Hazel, a blacksmith, died 1863 Conway Co AR; He was in Chickasaw County, MS when the state census was taken in 1841.
- Delilah2 Mabryb 8 Aug 1815 Abbeville Co SC
- Thomas Allen2 Mabryb 3 Feb 1818 Shelby Co AL; m 10 Nov 1838 Mary Lowery (d/o John Lowery); lived in Conway Co AR; d 18 Nov 1861 Bowling Green, KY while in CSA; he was in Chickasaw County, MS at the time of the 1841 state census.
- Nathaniel Bartholomew2 Mabryb 20 Mar 1821 Shelby Co AL; m2? ca 1848 Parmelia _____ Chickasaw Co MS; d 1870-1880
- Elizabeth2 Mabryb 24 Aug 1823 Shelby Co AL
- Martha2 Mabryb 23 Aug 1825 Shelby Co AL
- Daniel2 Mabryb 10 Jul 1829 Shelby Co AL; m 7 Nov 1858 Nancy Cardin Conway Co AR; lived in Conway Co AR; d 9 Dec 1862 while serving in CSA.
- Stacy Charles?2 Mabryb 4 Jul 1832 Shelby Co AL
- Nancy2 Mabryb 28 Dec 1835 Shelby Co AL; m 7 Aug 1856 William M. Brady Conway Co AR; d 19 Jan 1899 Faulkner Co AR.
- James Eaton2 Mabryb 15 Jun 1838 Shelby Co AL; m1 24 Aug 1865 Amanda Catharine Brady Conway Co AR; m2 5 Jun 1879 Rebecca A. Wilmoth; d 18 Nov 1895 Faulkner Co AR.
Dudley1 Mabry b ca 1790 SC; m1 _____; m2 ca 1845 Lucinda Burts; d after 1850 most likely in Abbeville Co SC. He was in the Pendleton County census in 1820; in Abbeville County in 1830 and 1850. He and Bartholomew Mabry were witnesses to the 1808 will of Sarah Greene in Abbeville County; Eaton Mabry was an appraiser of the Greene estate and Delilah Mabry was one of the buyers. (Dudley lived at Cokesbury in 1860)
If you have information that might help us identify the Abbeville/Edgefield Mabrys,
- Whitfield W.2 Mabrydied 1848 Tuscaloosa Co AL, not married.
- Zachariah S.2 Mabry.
- James Sanders2 Mabryb ca 1820 SC; m ca 1839 Grace Ann Bowie (d/o Richard Price Bowie and Elizabeth Hodges) (1850 AL: Tuscaloosa; 1860 MS: Choctaw)
- George M.2 Mabry.
- John W.2 Mabryd 1849, Abbeville Co, leaving no family.
- William W.2 Mabryb ca 1830; d 1858 Abbeville Co SC.
- Elizabeth2 Mabryb ca 1832.
- Andrew Jackson2 Mabryb ca 1834.
- Smith2 Mabry(lived in Mississippi about 1848).
- Susan2 Mabryb ca 1839.
- Matilda2 Mabryb ca 1842.
- Merinda2 Mabryb 1844.
- Casper2 Mabryb 15 Apr 1848 near Hodges, SC; m 1870 Mary Cason; d Jan 1916
- Joel Townsend2 Mabryb 1850 Hodges SC; d 1928 Cokesbury SC AL: Tuscaloosa; 1860 MS: Choctaw)
please contact Don Collins