|Crawfordjohn Church Yard - June 2005|
My great-great-grandmother was Mary Ellen COKE, and this is her "family".
It can be traced back to Lanarkshire Scotland, via her father Joseph COKE & her mother Helen YOUNG. The family of John COKE & Sarah SHIELDS, as given below, may not be entirely correct. To be correct, John would have had his first child at age 15.... So we are still working on this!!!
There was a John COKE who was born November 16, 1794. He married SARAH SHIELDS (before 1810) in Scotland. Their children were all born/christened in Crawford John (source: Scottish old parish records). In the 1841 census (Crawford village, Lanarkshire), John COCK is a cooper, age 50-55. Sarah is age 45-50. John died 31 Aug 1863.... and he was probably born in 1787 not 1794
ANNE COKE, chr. March 25, 1810.
ELISABETH COKE, chr. April 07, 1811.
JANET COKE, chr. August 23, 1812. There was a Janet Coke who married a William COLTHART in Crawford John in January 29, 1830 and who had at least 4 children: James (1836), Thomas (1838), Robert (1841) and Jean (1844) Note: Janet Coke who married William Colthart died in 1855 and her death reg gives her parents as William Coke & Janet Muir
JAMES COKE, chr. January 02, 1814. (married to a Janet in the 1841 census)
JOHN COKE, chr. December 10, 1815. (married Margaret GALL in Douglas 12 June 1842, in poorhouse in 1851)
WILLIAM COKE, chr. February 24, 1818. (as William COOK, to Arkansas US)
ARCHIBALD ALEXANDER COKE, chr. September 05, 1821, Crawford John, Lanarkshire, Scotland. There was an Archiblad COKE who married ISABELLA MOFFATT December 10, 1843 in Douglas, Lanarkshire, Scotland. They had at least 3 children: John (1844), James (1846) and Sarah. Archibald moved to England.
JOSEPH COKE, chr. May 13, 1823, Crawford & Leadhills district, Scotland; d. November 16, 1900, Caledon twp., Peel Co., bur at Erin, Ontario. See below.
GEORGE GLENDINING COKE, chr. November 21, 1824. age 15 -20 in 1841 census
DANIEL COKE chr 9 July 1826 (married Margaret DICK on 30 Aug 1850 at Wiston & Robertson)
MARGARET COKE, b. Abt. 1821; d. February 27, 1851, Leshmahagow, Lanarkshire. Died in childbirth. Was single and working as a domestic. Informant on the death registration was brother Samuel (Daniel?)
SARAH COKE chr 26 May 1830
ROBERT COKE, age 5 in 1841 census,
JEAN age 3 in 1841 census [not a child of the above parents, but were with them in the 1841 census]
WILLIAM, age 2 in 1841 census [not a child of the above parents, but were with them in the 1841 census]
Descendents of Joseph COKE
Joseph COKE (possibly son of John & Sarah), christened May 13, 1823 and died November 16, 1900 in Caledon twp., Peel Co., buried at Erin, Ontario. He married Helen YOUNG, January 29, 1847 in Crawfordjohn, Scotland, daughter of John YOUNG and Anna PROUDFOOT.
John YOUNG, woolen weaver, was born in Netherton, parish of Crawfordjohn about 1778. He died on 4 May 1855 and is buried in Crawfordjohn churchyard. His death reg'n gives his parents names as Robert YOUNG & Marion McQUEEN.
By 1856, Joseph & Helen were in Erin twp., Wellington Co as that is the year that their daughter Mary died in Erin (She was born in Scotland in 1853). In the 1871 census Joseph is a 47 year old farmer (Erin). In 1887, they were living on 6th line W, Caledon twp., Peel Co (just down the road from Erin)
In 1890, Helen died - she is buried at Erin Union Cemetery, Erin twp, Wellington Co., & her tombstone: age 71 years, 11 months, 25 days
In November of 1900, Joseph COKE died of apoplexy which he'd had for 5 days. There was a 2 line obit in the Orangeville Sun of Nov. 22 of that year. He is buried at Erin Union Cemetery, where his tombstone says: age 77 years, 6 months. The executors of his will were John Proudfoot YOUNG, James COKE and Elizabeth COKE. The probate value = $4300, $3500 of which was real estate (7th conc, W 1/2 of lot 8 + W 1/4 of lot 7, con 6, W of Hurontario St.). His daughter Annie inherited $500, and his MARSHALL grandchildren each inherited $200, lastly, his daughter Elizabeth COKE inherited $1500
Children of JOSEPH COKE and HELEN YOUNG are:
1. Anna Proudfoot COKE, b. December 06, 1848, Crawford John, Lanarkshire, Scotland; d. February 22, 1904, at home, lot 21, con 8, Esquesing twp., near Ballinafad, Halton Co. (obit in Cdn Champion and Acton Free Press). She married George YEMEN in Ontario, son of Peter and Margaret. (Yemen = Yeman = Yeoman)
Children of George & Anna:
a) Helen Young YEMEN who married John REID in 1904
b) Peter, whose wifes name was Margaret, 2 children: Gertrude & John
c) Jane Fyfe YEMEN (called Jennie), 1873-1927 - marriage announcement appears in the Acton Free Press of 10 Oct 1901. Husband = David GLENDENNING, married 2 Oct 1901. David was a veterinary surgeon in Erin. Children of Jennie & David: Anna ( m. Harvey KNIGHT), Mary Pauline (1907-1944, unmarried, buried with mother at Erin), Elizabeth (m. Edward HUNT), and Marguerita
e) Joseph Coke YEMEN was born in Esquesing on 18 Dec 1881 (reg 10315-81). He married Hazel MASSEY on 8 June 1909, in Guelph.
Hazel was born in Bracebridge on 19 April 1892, d/o Richard Charles MASSEY, farmer, & Louisa Victoria DUNCAN (marriage reg # 21819-1909).
In 1909 Joseph was a moulder, living in Guelph. Witnesses at the wedding were M.C. STEWART of Guelph & Myrtle C. LLOYD of West Toronto
Hazel's birth was registered in 1955. At that time her address was 763 King St. in Toronto. In the 1911 census she gives her birth year as 1888
1911 census - Joe & Hazel are in Guelph where he is a salesman. They have 2 daughters - Violet born in 1909 and Josephine born in 1910
g) Margaret, who married Peter COLE
i) Sadie, married Tom HALLIDAY and had at least 2 children: Margaret & Jack
2. Elizabeth COKE, b. 1855, died 1921, unmarried. Informant on her death registration was nephew, Joseph COKE of Ontario Agicultural College in Guelph.
3. Sarah COKE, b. January 19, 1850, Crawfordjohn, Scotland; d. October 31, 1883, Erin, Ontario. Unmarried. Buried at Erin Union Cemetery, Erin, Ontario - tombstone says age 33 years, 9 months,
4. John COKE, b. February 08, 1852, Crawford & Leadhills district, Scotland; d. November 23, 1867, Erin, Ontario, buried at Erin Union cemetery.
5. Mary COKE, b. 1853, Crawford & Leadhills district, Scotland; d. June 07, 1856, Erin, Onatrio. Buried at Erin with her parents, tombstone says age 2 years, 8 months
6. Mary Ellen COKE, b. 1858, Erin, Wellington County, Ontario; d. October 22, 1896, Waterloo County, Ontario in her 39th year and is buried at Erin Union cemetery with her parents. She married John MARSHALL July 02, 1883 in Brampton, Ontario, son of James MARSHALL and Isabel McPHERSON. At the time of her marriage, Mary was living in Caledon.
7. Robert COKE, b. Abt. 1860, Ontario; d. January 20, 1887, Caledon, Ontario. Died of diabetes, which he'd had for 2 to 3 years. Robert was a farmer. Also buried at Erin Union Cemetery, Erin, Ontario - tombstone: age 26 years, 7 months
8. James COKE, b. Abt. 1861, Erin twp., Ontario; d. December 02, 1913, Erin. . He married Margaret Ellen McLAREN on December 19, 1888 in Erin, Ontario, daughter of John McLAREN and Sarah McINTYRE. Margaret was born about 1865 in Erin twp. In both 1888 and 1900 his residence is given as Caledon twp. He was a Presbyterian. His marriage occurred at lot 4, con 8, Erin twp & the witnesses were John K. and Peter T McLAREN. Jamess obit appears in the Acton Free Press of 11 Dec 1913 (pg 2 col 3) has obit - suicide by hanging, in an outbuilding - he is called "an extensive & wealthy farmer", cattle breeder - and it also says that Erin Union cemetery is on a portion of James Coke's farm
Jamess wife, Margaret died at age 46 in 1911. She was alive at the time of the 1911 census (living in Erin). She died 23 Sept 1911 of TB (32275-11)
James & Margaret had 2 sons:
1. Joseph was born 1 June of 1890 in Caledon. He married Elsie Clare DODDS (d/o William C. DODDS & Clara LOVELACE) on 1 July 1919 in Orangeville.
In 1913 Joseph was in Markdale, Grey Co., where he was district rep. for the Dept of Agriculture.
Children of Joseph & Elsie: 1. Margery Elizabeth (m. Bill PARHAM), 2. William Joseph (wife’s name was Mary Alice) & 3. Helen Claire.
2. John McLaren (1899-1931) John M. COKEs birth announcement appeared in the Orangeville Sun, Dec 7, 1899.
He married Gladys C. ARMSTRONG. Both John & Gladys are buried at Erin Union cemetery, Erin.
They had at least one daughter, Doreen COKE who married Norman OLIVER
John died 1931. At the time he was a dairy farmer (Lot 11 Con 8 of Erin twp). Cause of death - appendicitis
from Erin Advocate of 10 Dec 1913: COKE - The funeral of the late Mr. James Coke... took place to Erin cemetery on Thursday and was one of the largest seen here for years. The deceased man was a hard working, persevering man of thrifty habits and was, as the result of his labour, in more than comfortable circumstances. His farm was a model one, and he was one of the most up to date farmers in this vicinity. He was for several years a member of the School Board, and was one of the officials. His wife predeceased him a few years ago and he is survived by two sons, who have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad loss.