My Flint line starts in Wisbeach, Cambridgeshire, England with George Flint, s/o George FLINT & Mary INKLEY, grandson of George FLINT & Elizabeth LEE
George FLINT married Mary Rose TEED and they emigrated to Ontario.
George's brother Matthew also came to Canada - there is a bit about him in part 2
George's brother Edward stayed in England - see part 3
George's sister Martha married William SMITH and they settled in the USA - see part 4
|Frank Lionel Flint (1907-1984) & his aunt Ina Flint (1905-1910)|
Descendants of George III Flint
GEORGE III FLINT (GEORGE II, GEORGE) was born April 07, 1823 in Holbeach, Lincs, England, and died July 07, 1906 in Toronto, Ontario. He married (1) MARY ROSE TEED August 11, 1842 in St. Peters, Wisbeach, daughter of HENRY TEED and MARY MADGHAM. He married (2) ELEANOR (FORSYTH) BREULS in 1899... she was the widow of Julius BREULS and she is buried with him in Dixon Hill Cemetery, near Ringwood, Ontario
GEORGE III FLINT was a cabinetmaker as well as a builder of houses. In 1852 he sailed from Liverpool, to Rochester NY and then in 1855 he moved to Stouffville, Ontario. He is buried beside his first wife in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Children of GEORGE FLINT and MARY TEED are:
1. FRANK R. FLINT, b. Abt. 1863, Stouffville, Ontario; d. 1940, Toronto, Ontario.He married MARION ELIZABETH (DOT) ILIFF October 04, 1882 in Toronto, daughter of THOMAS ILIFF and MARIA HUNT. In 1882 was a carpenter, Methodist, and resident of Toronto. The witnesses as the marriage between Frank & Dot was Frank's brother Simeon & his wife Ella.
Children of FRANK FLINT and MARION ILIFF are:
1. GEORGE LEUMAS FLINT, born 15 Dec 1884 - birth reg # 40682-85. Parents were living at 101 Bleeker St. in Toronto at the time. Married to Ethel Adeline BIRMINGHAM on 14 June 1913, d/o Robert BIRMINGHAM & Mary FLEMING. Ethel was born in Toronto, around 1884 or 1885. George died 20 Aug 1917 of endocarditis (death reg 5106-17 - he was age 33, and living at 42 Castlefield Ave. at the time. Informant was Cecil FLINT of 591 Pape Ave.) Buried at St. James cemetery. George & Ethel had a son, Lymon George FLINT who was born in 194 and who married Elizabeth Margaret TALBOT in 1952
Evening Telegram, Toronto, Sat. 14 June 1913
FLINT - BIRMINGHAM
In St. Pauls church, Bloor St. East, this afternoon at three oclock was solemnized the marriage of Miss Ethel Adeline Birmingham, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Robert Birmingham, to Mr. George Leumas Flint, son of Mr. & Mrs. Frank Flint. The church was prettily decorated with palms, white roses and lilies and Archdeacon Cody read the marriage service. Mr. Palmer rendered the wedding music. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore her traveling suit of black and white check with leghorn hat and pink roses. She carried pink sweet peas and lily of the valley and wore the grooms gift of a gold wristlet watch. The bride's mother, Mrs. Birmingham, was wearing green charmeuse with black and white hat with plumes, the grooms mother being gowned in blue charmeuse with black hat. There were no attendants and immediately after the ceremony Mr. & Mrs. Flint left for Chicago. On their return they will reside at 58 Davisville Ave.
2. CECIL LINCOLN FLINT, b. June 20, 1886; d. September 19, 1951; m. INA REBECCA MOORE, Bef. 1906. In 1920, Cecil was a carpenter, living at 49 Fernwood Park Ave. Cecil and Ina had only one child, Frank Lionel born in 1906. He married Grace Marguerite ELLIOTT
3. WILLIAM PERCY FLINT, born 17 Jan 1890 - birth reg # 39989-90. Parents were living at 80 Rose Ave. at the time. He died 11 June 1890 of marasmus. Death reg # 21560-90.
4. QUEENIE FLINT, b. ? No records found for her yet.
5. IVAN ILIFFE FLINT, b. 1892; d. November 11, 1983, Detroit, Michigan; m. (1) JEAN MURRAY GREER (from Co. Donegal, Northern Ireland); m. (2) OSTA.
6. ELSIE CONSTANCE FLINT, b. February 01, 1899; d. August 31, 1957; m. ALAN WILLIAM JACKSON on 11 June 1919 (marr reg # ). Alan was s/o William Robinson JACKSON & Elizabeth BICKERSTAFF. He was born 17 Dec 1899.
Toronto Daily Star, Wed. 11 June 1919
The marriage of Miss Elsie Constance Flint, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Frank Flint, to Mr. Alan William Jackson, formerly of the 3rd and 35th Battalions CEF, son of Mr. & Mrs. W.R. Jackson, was solemnized at three oclock this afternoon by Rev. Mr. McIntyre, The bride who was given away by her father wore a navy blue traveling suit with pink Georgette suit and bouquet of roses. Miss Kathleen Flint was her sisters bridesmaid, also in navy blue with leghorn hat and bouquet of pink roses. Mr. James Marshall was the best man. Miss Ollie Lindsay during the signing of the registry sang "Yesterday and Today"
7. KATHLEEN ELIZABETH FLINT, b. 11 Nov. 1900 in Toronto; d. 1972; m. Ernest Ivor GRIFFITHS on 22 March 1927. In 1919 Kathleen was living at 596 Pape Ave. Ernest Ivor GRIFFITHS was s/o Ernest Gough GRIFFITHS (b. in England) and Ellen Mary GAYNOR. In 1927, Ivor was printer, age 24, res of 58 Scarborough Road. Kathleen was age 25 and res of 53 Fernwood Park Ave.
8. FRANK FLINT, b. 1903; d. 1931 of TB; m. MARY CATHERINE ELLIOTT, July 1925. (Mary's sister Grace married Frank's nephew Lionel)
9. INA EILEEN FLINT, b. 1905; d. April 12, 1910 of diptheria & is buried in St. James Cemetery, 635 Parliament St., Toronto
2. GEORGE IV FLINT, b. November 07, 1843, Wisbech, England; d. November 30, 1904, Toronto, bur at Stouffville cemetery. He married ELIZA BARNES October 04, 1866 in York Co., Ontario, daughter of RICHARD BARNES and CHARITY HUXTABLE. Eliza was born in Ontario on 25 Oct 1844. In the 1901 census, George & Eliza were living in Stouffville (Microfilm T-6487, Stouffville, division 2, page 5). George's occupation was given as agent.... an aside re the Huxtables: Richard & Charity were both in England about 1811 and in 1881 (census) they are Stouffville, living next to George & Eliza.
Children of GEORGE FLINT and ELIZA BARNES are:
1. GEORGE WALTER FLINT, b. August 14, 1867, Stouffville, Ontario; d. February 08, 1897, Rochester, NY. He was baptised in the Whitchurch Methodist church on Oct. 8, 1869. In the 1881 census he is called Walter. He is buried in Stouffville cemetery with his parents.
2. ELLA VICTORIA FLINT, b. 1869; d. 1877 of typhoid fever, buried at Stouffville cemetery with her parents.
3.. MARY EDITH FLINT, b. March 27, 1872, Stouffville, Ontario; d. Abt. 1951, Providence RI; m. (1) H L PRATT (then divorced); m. (2) JOHN FREDERICK A. RAMER, Abt. 1891. At home in 1881. Her daugher, Eleanor (Nellie) RAYMER was with George & Eliza in the 1901 census - Nellie was born 28 Feb 1892.
4. FLORENCE AUGUSTA FLINT, b. Abt. 1873; Called Augusta in the 1881 census, d. 1920; m. LEWIS ELSWORTH BARTHOLOMEW, on April 12 1893 in Stouffville (marriage reg # 13706-93) Lewis was born on 26 April 1867 in Whitchurch, Ontario, s/o John & Elizabeth. He had a sister Blanche. Name on marriage registration is J. Lewis BARTHOLOMEW.
Gussie & Lewis had at least on daughter, Flossie Lulu, born 3 Aug 1893 in Stouffville (birth reg # #38678-93) and a son, James Arthur born in Feb of 1895, also in Stouffville.
5.. CHARLES WESLEY FLINT, b. November 14, 1878; d. December 12, 1964, Binghampton, NY (buried at Oakwood cemetery, Syracuse, NY); m. CLARA JANETTE YETTER, September 03, 1901, Sheldon, Iowa. At home in the 1881 census
3. SARAH ROSE FLINT, d. 1848, Wisbeach, England & is buried in Leverington Rd cemetery, near Wisbeach
4. MATTHEW HENRY FLINT, b. July 01, 1849, Wisbech, England; d. November 22, 1930, probably, Hollywood CA [check this]. He married (EMMA) EMMELINE BARNES September 20, 1871 in Whitchurch twp., Ontario, daughter of RICHARD BARNES and CHARITY HUXTABLE. Emma was born 21 Sept 1849 in Ontario. Matthew & Emma had at least one child, Mabel. In 1881 Matthew & Emma are living in St. Thomas Ward, Toronto. Mathew is a carpenter. With them is daughter Martha M., age 5 (no other children)..... By 1901, Matthew & Emma were back in Stouffville as they appear there in the 1901 census (Microfilm T-6487, Stouffville, division 1, page 5) with them is a son, Edward born 10 Feb 1884, age 17, born in Ont. Occupation is given as drug apprentice (!)
Matthew and Emma are buried in Stouffville cemetery. In the same plot are "Edward" and "Donald" but no dates are given for these two.
#016243-98 (York Co) William B. SANDERS, 53, England, Stouffville, widower, Postmaster, parents names not given, married Mabel M. FLINT, 23, Stouffville, same, s, d/o Mathew FLINT & Emma BARNES, witn: Mrs. Dr. FREEL, Mrs. McEWEN, both Stouffville, married 13 September 1898, Stouffville..... In the 1901 census (Microfilm T-6487, Stouffville, division 1, page 4) along with a daughter Lulu M. who was born 22 Aug 1899.
5. JOHN BERTRAM FLINT, b. July 31, 1852, Rochester, NY; d. January 01, 1922, Springfield, Mass (and is buried in Homewood Cemetery, Pittsburg with his wife); m. Ruth REVIS whose family came from Unionville, Markham, Ontario. In the 1881 census, J.B. & Ruth are in Chatham, Kent Co., Ontario. John is a carpenter. [with thanks to Joy Flint who has helped with this line]
Children of John & Ruth:
David Willard, b. Abt. 1875, Ontario (1881 census, called Willard). He married Effie Blanche WHITE in Chatham Ontario on 11 Sept 1900. At that time, he was a dentist in Pittsburgh. David Willard's sister Grace was a witness at the wedding and her residence was also given as Pittsburgh. Effie was b/o Albert H. WHITE & Annie WILSON.
Grace Edith, b. Abt. 1877, Ontario (1881 census)
Mary B., b. August 1880, Ontario (1881 census)
George Melville, b. June 13, 1883, Ontario; d. January 02, 1960, Alleghany Co., Pennsylvania. He married Hazel Frances FOX. George was a dentist and he and Hazel are buried at Chartiers Cemetry, Carnegie PA.
Children of George & Hazel:
- George Thomas b. 1910 in Pittsburg PA. George married Myra Juanita BAHR in Cinicinnati Ohio on 28 June 1904. Myra was d/o Frederick BAHR & Ida JOHNSON and she was born 9 Sept 1912. Both George & Myra died in San Jacinto CA - Myra on 10 Jan 1982 and George on 4 Nov 1985.
- John Edward 1914-2001 (married Nancy MUSSELMAN)
- Roger Benedict b. 1920 in Alleghany Co. Pennsylvania and d. 2007 in Hickory (Virginia?) (married Lucille BOONE). His obituary is at: http://www.cyberstrong.com/tennis/news/RogerFlint.pdf
6. IDA ROSE FLINT, b. March 22, 1855, Stouffville, Ontario; d. August 17, 1897, Ringwood, Markham twp, York Co., Ontario. She married a farmer & carpenter, WILLIAM A BRUELS on May 24, 1878 in Newmarket, Ontario, son of Julius & Ellen (nee FORSYTH). The witnesses at the marriage were Esther E Bruels of Stouffville & Albert J. Rogers of Newmarket (marr reg # #012837-78). In the 1881 census, William & Ida are living in Markham with their eldest child.
Children of IDA FLINT and WILLIAM BRUELS are:
1.. EDNA BRUELS, age 2 in the 1881 census (called Ella?)
2. WINNIFRED BRUELS.
3. W. HAROLD BRUELS.
4. CHARLES BRUELS.
5. ADA MAY BRUELS, b. January 22, 1882, Ringwood, Whitchurch twp., York County, Ontario; m. FRANKLIN BAKER, July 10, 1901. Franklin was a farmer, and the witnesses at the marriage were Harvey Bruels of Altona & Martha Almira Reaman of Ringwood
As a bit of an aside, Julius BRUELS & Ellen FORSYTH also had a daughter Salena who was born about 1854 in Markham. Salena married William FLEURY, born in Aurora bout 1844, s/o John & Hester. Marr Reg # #012458-76, witnesses were Timothy BRUELSof Markham, Sophia STOTTS of Pickering, marriage date: 12 April 1876, at Markham. Son of Selina & William was Julius John W. FLEURY who married Nellie HARRIS in Toronto on 2 April 1903 (marr reg # 1565-03); Nellie HARRIS was d/o Wm HARRIS & Caroline RICHARDSON..............Julius BRUELS & Ellen FORSYTH also had a son, William A. BRUELS who was born in Markham twp in 1858. His second marriage was to Catharine CLENDENNEN, a widow, who was born in Ringwood about 1852, d/o John & Leah SULLIVAN. William was a carpenter in Markham twp. Marr reg # 016247-99, witnesses were P.M. BEDFORD, Jean EMSLEY, marriage date was 20 September 1898 in Stouffville......... Julius BRUELS & Ellen FORSYTH also had a daughter Josephine whose marriage registration is #013813-95 (York Co) Charles Walter WISMER, 22, Markham, same, b, farmer, s/o Elijah & Susan WISMER, married Josephine BREULS, 23, Markham, same, s, d/o Julius & Ellen BREULS, witn: Rolph BREULS of Markham, Annie OGILVIE of Toronto, married 26 December 1894 by Joseph Young, Markham
7. PAUL FLINT, b. July 26, 1857, Stouffville, Ontario; d. May 22, 1940, Beaverlodge, Alberta; m. JANE ELIZABETH KELLS, December 30, 1880, Vandeleur, Artemesia twp, Gray Co., Ontario. Both Paul and his wife died in 1940 in Beaverlodge, Alberta. In the 1881 census Paul & Lizzie are living in Toronto with the family of Julia HATCHARD (a widow) and her children: Leonard, Martin, Ella, Walter, Emma and Annie, ages between 29 and 11 and all born in England.
8. SIMEON FLINT, b. Abt. 1859; d. Abt. 1861.
9. SIMEON FLINT, b. Abt. 1861, Stouffville, Ontario; d. October 24, 1950, Rochester, NY; m. ELLA MARY CONSTANCE HATCHARD. Simeon was living at home with his parents in the 1881 census. This Ella HATCHARD is probably the same as the Ella who is d/o Julia, with whom Simon's brother Paul is living with in 1881.
- In 1888 they were living at 88 Rose Ave. and Simeon was a builder.
- 1900, 1910, 1920 & 1930 census: living in Rochester (Avondale Park)
Children of Simeon & Ella:
- Martin who was born about 1886. - living with his parents in 1910 but not in 1920
- Albert Gordon born 7 Oct 1888 - birth reg # 45065-88. Albert's wife's name was Ida R. & she was born in Wisconsin about 1884 (her father was born in Norway & her mother was born in Wisconsin). Albert & Ida were married about 1915. They had a daughter Joyce D. who was born in 1926. Albert was a mechanic. In 1930 they were living in the town of Irondequoit in Monroe Co., New York.
- Olive V. born Jan 1900 in Rochester - living with her parents in 1920 but not in 1930.
10. RALPH FLINT, b. February 26, 1865; d. November 19, 1947 (and is buried at St. John's Norway cemetery, Toronto,with his wife). He married ANNIE WOODWARD on 16 Aug 1895 in Toronto. Ralph was at home with his parents in the 1881 census. I have not yet found Annie in the 1881 census. Ralph and Annie had at least two sons: Harold Roy born 4 Aug 1895 and Arthur Woodward Flint born in August of 1900. Harold died December 30, 1915, France. (he was a private). They also had a daughter Hazel Irene who was born 12 Aug 1897.
11. MARY ADA FLINT, b. Abt. 1868. She married J. WILLIAM CAMPBELL and in 1904 they lived at 92 Glen Road, Toronto. William was the sole executor of George III Flint's will. Mary Ada & William had two sons, Norman and W. Austin. Mary was at home in the 1881 census.
George FLINT & Elizabeth LEE also had a son Matthew FLINT who was christened in Holbeach England on 10 April 1803. In the 1861 census he appears in Markham twp., Ontario, with his wife Mary Ann (nee NAYLOR) and their 4 daughters, Emma (age 21), Sarah (age 17), Julia (age 15) and Lydia (age 12). The three older girls were born in England, Lydia was born in Upper Canada. Matthew and Mary Ann are buried in Stouffville cemetery along with daughter Emma and her husband Abram YAKE. Matthew died on 21 Sept 1886, at age 81 yrs + 9 months + 5 days and Mary Ann died 30 May 1878, at age ?9 yrs + 6 months.
On Nov 7, 1864, Emma FLINT, age 23, born in England, resident of Markham, married Abraham YAKE, age 27 born in Canada, resident of Markham, s/o John & Susan. Witnesses were Benjamin GILBERT of Markham and Sarah FLINT, also of Markham. By Rev. Thomas Crompton, Minister of the Primitve Methodist Church, Markham. Source: Ontario Archives microfilm MS 248 reel 18, page 85 of book 2 of York Co. ......... In the 1881 census, Abraham & Emma were living in Stouffville where Abram was a mail carrier. They had 4 children: Daniel J. (age 15), Ada (age 12), Mary Emma (age 5) and Martha Jane (age 2)
On 7 Nov 1866, Lydia FLINT, age 18, born in Canada, resident of Markham, married Thomas WILSON, age 45, born in Canada, resident of Uxbridge, s/o Isay? & Mary. Witness was Ina YAKE of Stouffville. By Thomas Hadwin, Minister of Wesleyan Methodist Church. Source: Ontario Archives microfilm MS 248 reel 18, page 225 of book 2 of York Co
Abraham had a brother Michael : Vol. 11, p.264 (York Co.) Michael YAKE, 23, Farmer, born in & resident of Markham, s/o John & Susan YAKE to Sophia CAMERON, 22, Markham, resident of Pickering, d/o George & Madeline CAMERON, witnesses Adam YAKE, Anna RIFFER, both Markham, 5 June 1871, Markham, both Disciple.... Michael & Sophia were in Markham in the 1881 census with children: Arminta (9), Jacob (7), Melville (5) and Willis (born Aug 1880)
Edward FLINT, s/o George & Mary nee INKLEY was born 1824 in Holbeach. He married Jane Willesee (Willeser?) DEANS June 30, 1845 in St. Leonards, Shoreditch.
- In 1845 both Edward & Jane gave their residence as Wenlock Rd., Shoreditch. Edward was cabinet maker, Jane was a dress maker
- In 1881 Edward was a cabinet maker at 9 Elwin Street in London
The following is Edward FLINT, 10 Elwin St., in the 1871 census. Something here is not right, but I am not sure what the "correct version" should be:
1871 census, Bethal Green, North Ward, Hackney London, 10 Elwin St.
- Samuel MASON, head, married, 28, cordwainer, born Middsx London
- Sarah MASON, wife, 25, born Cambridge
- Samuel MASON, son, single, 3, born Cambridge
- Mary MASON, dau, single, 9 months, born Cambridge
- Edward FLINT, nephew, married, 46, cabinet maker, born Cambridge
- Janet FLINT, sister in law, mar, 46, born Cambridge
- David FLINT, nephew, 22, cabinet maker, born Cambridge
- Isabel FLINT, niece, 19, born Cambridge
- Thomas FLINT, nephew, 16, fur worker, born Middsx London
- George FLINT, nephew, 10, born Middsx London
Children of Edward & Jane:
1. Martha FLINT, born Abt. 1845, Walsoken, Norfolk, England.
2. Donald W. FLINT, born 9 Oct 1849 in either Wisbeach or Shoreditch.
- In 1881 he was a cabinet maker too, living at 10 Tyssen St. in London with his wife Ann [maiden name unknown] and two children, Donald W. Jr. (age 14) & Mary Ann. (age 1) both born Hounston?, London
- In 1901 Donald was a widower living with his daughter Mary.
- Donald W. Jr., born about 1867, married Alice [maiden name unknown]. He was a pianoforte maker in both the 1891 & 1901 censuses. In 1901 he was married with 3 children, Donald W. born about 1895, George E., born about 1897 and Frederick J. born about 1899. They were living in Walthamstow, Essex Co. England.
Martha FLINT, d/o George & Mary nee INKLEY was born January 31, 1834 in Holbeach, and died June 23, 1925 in Plainville, Mass., USA.
Children of William & Martha:
Evangeline, b. April 17, 1853, at sea, between England and the USA; d. February 26, 1933. She married Nathaniel PHILLIPS & in 1925 they were in Rochester NY. Their son was Henry PHILLIPS, 1881 - 1953 who married Miriam BROWN before 1920 (4 children)
Sarah Ann, b. October 15, 1858; d. May 31, 1935. She married William KEENE before 1878. Their children - Etta (1879 - 1984, married William A. PAYNE before 1898); Lucretia (1880-1906, married Frederick L. PAYNE, 2 children) and Henry W. (1881-1958, married Madge CLARK in 1904, 6 children)
Florence, b. August 08, 1863; m. 1. unknown RICHMOND, m. 2. Irving ABENDROTH, Bef. 1925. 1925 - in LA
Abraham Lincoln (Link) SMITH, b. April 14, 1865; d. February 22, 1938.
Martha, b. December 28, 1870; d. February 1948; m. 1. unknown BRASSER, 2. unknown BAKER, 3. Joseph MURY.
With thanks to John Dobson who did a lot of research on the Flint family. His research can be seen at:
Arthur FLINT died 22 Dec 1935 at Toronto (Hospital for Sick Children), age 9, born in Toronto on 17 March., s/o George FLINT & Agnes CURRIE (both born in Ontario). Buried at Prospect cemetery. Informant was father, of 476 Clinton St. in Toronto. Death reg 7728-35