For other Hewletts of Ontario, scroll down to section 4
some Bath (& area) Parish records
of William Hewlett, b. abt. 1789
photo: Bath England, July 2005
One of my gggg-grandfathers was William HEWLETT, born abt 1790 in Sherborne Dorset, tailor. His son William, born in 1816, married Elizabeth Horton DEACON and these are my ggg-grandparents
William HEWLETT, born abt 1790 in Sherborne Dorset, tailor.
1841 census, Westbury St., Sherborne Dorset (source: http://www.dorset-opc.com/1841SherborneD4.htm)
1851 census, Allington Dorset
Children of William & ? & Mary (who was probably the 2nd wife?) - or else I have mixed up the families of 2 different William HEWLETTS, both tailors & both born in Sherborne!
William, born about 1816, see below
Anna, born about 1824
Susan, born about 1828
Eunice/Emma - born about 1829 & living with her brother William in 1851
Thomas John born about 1837. In the 1881 census he was in Blandford Forum Dorset, with his wife Sophia [marr reg Dec 1867 Blandford 5a pg 546]. Sophia was married to Thomas under the name Sophia FOSTER but this was not her maiden name. In the 1881 census her children Emma FOSTER & Tom C. FOSTER are living with Thomas & Sophia who also have a son William HEWLETT, was age 12 in 1881. Thomas was an inn keeper, Crown & Anchor on West.St. in Blandford Forum
Sarah - born 1840. There was a Sarah Hewlett married in Bristol in 1866 but this has not been checked. [Jun 1866, Bristol 6a pg 66]
From Dorset Poll book, 1807 - found at http://www.thedorsetpage.com/Genealogy/info/dorset1.txt
HEWLETT Henry, residence - Wyke Regis, situation of freehold -
Wyke Regis 052
HEWLETT James, residence - Sherborne, situation of freehold - Westbury 073
William HEWLETT (son of William, above) was born 1816 in Sherborne, Dorset, England, and he died in 1877. He married Elizabeth Horton DEACON on July 04, 1839 in Bedminister, Bristol, England. Their marriage registration gives their addresses as East Street. In both the 1841 and 1871 censuses, William & Elizabeth are living in Frome, Somerset, England where William was a tailor and/or merchant. On the birth certificate of son Wm Henry in 1843, their address is given as Yeoman's Yard, Frome. Elizabeth was the daughter of James DEACON and she was born at Nunney, Somerset, England in 1815. Elizabeth died on 14 Dec 1900 at 20 Snow Hill, Walcot, Bath at the age of 85, cause given as "senile decay". Her son Frank HEWLETT was the informant.
The village of Nunney is in eastern Somerset, 4km south-west of Frome, situated within the valley of the Nunney Brook - a tributary of the River Frome
From the 1841 census: Yeomans Yard, Frome (there were no other Hewletts in Frome in 1841), source LDS film 0474597 (more 1841 census)
From the 1851census: Catherine Street, Frome, Somerset. (more 1851 census)
1851 census: Elizabeth HEWLETT, 10, nurse maid, born Frome in the household of Emanuel ASHFORD, 46, butter dealer, born N. Bresham Somerset & his wife Elizabeth ASHFORD, 42, born Sherborne Dorset & Emanuel's mother-in-law, Hannah JOHNSON, 77, born Sherborne. They are living in Wine St., Frome.
1871 census: Bridge St., Frome
Children of William & Elizabeth:
1. Susan b. 1839. died late in 1901, married Francis Timothy (Frank) NASH.
Susan & Frank were actually married on 31 July 1870 in Walcot, Bath. (Sept 1870 Bath 5c 1006) Frank was s/o Nehemiah NASH, farmer. Frank was living at 5 Lansdown Place West & Susan was living at 9 Clement St., as given on the marriage registration. Witnesses were William HEWLETT & Edward COOPER.
Children of Susan & Frank
- Alfred Francis HEWLETT b. 8 Oct 1865, m. 1889 to Bessie SHARLAND
- Frank Henry NASH b. 17 Aug 1870, m. Ada
- James Winter NASH b. 23 Dec 1872
- Elizabeth NASH b. 20 Nov 1874
- Emma Hewlett NASH born 31 Oct 1877, married 1901
- Edwin Percy (or Percy Edwin) NASH b. 18 March 1880, married 1905
1871 census, Walcot, Bath
- Susan NASH, lodger, married, age 30, dress maker, born Bristol Glos.
- Alfred F. NASH, son, age 5, born Scarborough Yorkshire
- Frank H. NASH, son, 7 months, born Bath
- John NASH, 22, married, visitor, butler & domestic servant, born Berkeley Somerset [brother of Frank Nash]
- Martha NASH, 28, married, visitor, domestic dervant, born Dunkerton Somerset [Temperance Martha nee Clark, married John Nash in 1869]
1881 (England) census RG11 2401 folio 65 page2, at 10 Horton Street, Frome, Somerset is:
- Frank NASH - aged 39 Railway Plate Layer born Frome
- Susan wife aged 40 born Bristol (note: Susan Hewlett)
- Alfred son - aged 15 General Labourer born Scarborough, Yorkshire
- Frank son aged 10 Scholar born Walcott Bath
- James Norton (Horton?) son aged 8 Scholar born Frome [FreeBMD has him as James Winter NASH, Frome 5c, pg 538, March 1873], also [James Winter Nash death reg Sept 1884, Frome 5c, pg 305 age 11]
- Elizabeth daughter aged 6 born Frome [Annie Elizabeth, death reg Frome 5c, pg 320, Dec 1883, age 8]
- Emma Hewlett daughter aged 3 born Frome
- Edwin Percy son aged 1 born Frome
1891 census, Brickyard cottage, Mells, Frome
- Frank T. NASH, 50, plate layer on railway, born Berkley Somerset
- Susan, wife, 51, born Frome
- Emma, dau, 13, born Frome
- Edwin P., son, 11, born Frome
1891 census 213 Park St., Bedminster, Bristol South
- Alfred HEWLETT, 25, shunter on railway, born Bath [marriage Alfred Francis - Sept 1889, Frome 5c pg 736, married Bessie SHARLAND]
- Bessie HEWLETT, wife, 24, born Frome
- Alice HEWLETT, dau, 1, born Frome
- Frank NASH, boarder, 20, plate layer on railway, born Frome
- [note: This is probably Alfred HEWLETT, s/o of Susan, who was given the surname Nash in the 1881 census]
1901 census, Buckland? Denham, part of Frome, Somerset
- Frank H. NASH, 30, plate layer on railway, born Bath
- Ada L., wife, 29, born Dublin
- Frank H., son, age 6, born Bristol [Frank Henry, Sept 1894 Bedminster 5c, pg 643]
- Emma A., dau, age 5, born Bristol [Emma Ada L., Sept 1895, Bedminster 5c pg 638]
- Percy, son, age 3, born Bristol [Percy William, March 1897, Bedminster, 5c, pg 675]
- Charles, son, age 2, born Bristol [Charles Edwin, June 1899, Bristol 6a, pg 4]
1901 census, Little Green, Mells, Somerset. (RG13 2311 122 pg 1)
- Frank NASH, 60, railway plate layer, born Berkeley
- Susan, 61, born Bristol
- Percy Edwin NASH, age 21, born in Frome, a house painter [marriage March 1904, Frome 5c pg 657]
- Emma Hewlett NASH, age 23, born in Frome, a domestic parlour maid [marriage Dec 1901, Bristol 6a pg 368]
2. Elizabeth b. 1840; unmarried. died October 02, 1905, Walcott, Somerset, England at Royal United Hospital of "bronchitis, heart failure". On her death registration her occupation is given as: " daughter of William Henry Hewlett, a tailor, deceased, 8 Laura Place, Bath." Her brother Alfred Frank, of Batheaston, was the informant.
3. William Henry, b. January 24, 1843, Frome, Somerset, England; d. Aft. 1894, see section 2 below
4. James, b. November 13, 1845, Frome, Somerset. see section 3 below
5. Charles Edward, called Edward, b. 1851, Frome, Somerset. Charles married Emily Florence (maiden name unknown) who was from Cross Somerset. In 1881 they were living at 18 William St., Bristol and in 1905 they were at 14 William St., Bristol. From the 1901census (RG13 2400 70, pg 27): Edward was age 50, born in Frome, working as a printer & compositor. His wife Emily was 47, born in Redhill Sussex. With them were three children: Reginald age 21, born in Bristol, clothiers warehouseman; Grace, 17, born in Bristol, teacher; Mildred, 13, born in Bristol. The family was living at 14 William St., City Road, Bristol (St. Barnabas parish)
Children of Charles & Emily:
- Reginald Sidney was born abt 1880 in Bristol England
- Grace HEWLETT, born about 1885, visited Toronto in 1907 from England. She married Harvey JENNER in Toronto on 21 Sept 1908. She eventually settled in the USA, had three children, divorced Harvey, changed her surname back to HEWLETT, had a Hewlett son, and then re-married.
- Mamie HEWLETT, born 1887 ( aka Mildred in 1901, Constance in 1891)
1881 (England) census RG11 2486 folio 94 page32 , 18 William Street, Bristol.
- Edward Charles Hewlett aged 30 Printer born Frome
- Emily Florence wife aged 27 born Cross, Somerset
- Reginald Sidney son aged 1 born Bristol
1891 census - 12 William St., St. James & St. Pauls parish, Bristol North
- Chas Ed Hewlett, 40, printer & compositor, b. Frome
- Emily, wife, 37, b. Somerset Redhill
- Reginald, son, 11
- Grace, dau, 7
- Constance, dau, 3
1901 census, 14 William St., Bristol
- Edward Hewlett, 50, printer & compositor, b. Frome
- Emily, wife, 47, b. Somerset Redhill
- Reginald, son, 21
- Grace, dau, 17
- Mildred, dau, 13
6. Jane b. 1853; d. 1855.
7. Frank Alfred, b. October 21, 1856, Frome, Somerset; died October 08, 1906, Northend, Batheaston, Somerset. In 1881 he was a decorator, living with his brother William in Batheaston - appears as Alfred F. Hewlett. On his mother's death registration in 1900 he gives his address as High St., Batheaston. He was 49 years old when he died of "arteris sclorosis syncope", a general contractor at the time, and the informant was T. BEAN, his father-in-law....father of Frank's wife Kate. From the 1901 census: Frank was living with his wife Catherine and father-in-law Thomas BEVAN at Brookfield Cottage, Batheaston. Frank was a plumber & painter, age 44. Catherine was age 37 & was born in Bathford Somerset. There were no children. Thomas BEVAN was age 69, widower, & retired licensed vistualler.
8. Arthur b. 1860, Frome, Somerset. Can't find him in the 1901 census in England.
1881 (England) census RG11 2401 folio98 page13 , 20 High Street, Frome, Somerset
- Elizabeth Hewlett aged 64 widower born Nonney
- Arthur son aged 21 Carpenter born Frome
with contributions from: Terry Harvey & Keith Scarrott
William Henry HEWLETT was born January 24, 1843 in Frome, Somerset, England. He married Ellen Dew FELLOWS December 26, 1872 in Batheaston, Somerset, England, daughter of Henry FELLOWS and Hannah DEW.
In 1881 William & Ellen were living on London Rd., Batheaston where William was age 36, a builder & contractor employing 18 men & 3 apprentices. In 1884 William moved his family to Toronto and in 1885 they appear in the Toronto Directory at 150 1/2 King St. West, (Hewlett Bros). In 1889 they resided at 419 1/2 College St, next door to 419 College St. - Wm H. Hewlett & Co., Plumbers. In 1891 the addresses are the same, but the company is now called Wm H. Hewlett & Co., Plumbers, Steam & Gas Fitters.
William died on a trip back to England (suicide in the River Thames). So in 1898, Ellen was a widow, living on Bellefair Ave., just north of Queen St. E., (ward 1). By 1914 she had moved to 11 Wheeler (N of Queen St. E., south of Kingston Rd, ward 1) - and this was also her address is 1920. Ellen died in and is buried at St. John's Norway Anglican church, Toronto
Children of William and Ellen:
1. William Henry Jr. b. January 16, 1873, Batheaston, Somerset, England; d. June 13, 1940, Ontario, Canada; m. Anna Dolina MacKAY, October 14, 1896, Alliston, Ontario, Canada.(marr reg # 011505-96). In 1890 William was working for his father's plumbing business but in 1891 he was a stenographer with Neville, McWhinney & Ridley. At the time of his marriage in 1896 he was a resident of London Ontario and he gives his occupation as musician. 1901 cenus - William & Dolina were in London, Ontario. William did go on to earn a PhD in music from U of T. Between 1918-1939 he was the principal of Conservatory of Music, Hamilton. At one point he wrote the music for "In Flanders Fields" and was the organist at Centenary United church, Hamilton, Ontario. No children.
2. Florence Lillian Dew b. 1874, Batheaston, Somerset; d. November 16, 1942 (buried at St. Johns Norway), Toronto, Ontario. Florence married Douglass CLARK who was one of the first Mounties in Calgary - the Clarks also lived in Biggar Sask, Thorold Ont., & Toronto
Children of Florence & Douglass are:
1. Joan b. 1904; d. 1933 (bur at St. John's Norway); married surname was THOMPSON
2. Howard Hewlett, d. January 21, 1983.
3. Reginald Cecil James b. 1875, Batheaston, Somerset; d. 1877.
4. Mabel Beatrice Dew b. October 01, 1877, Batheaston, Somerset, England; d. February 15, 1957, Toronto, Ontario.
#018976-01 (York Co): Henry Edward ELLIOTT, 22, motorman, Scarborough twp., Toronto, s/o W.H. ELLIOTT & Polly LOANE, married Beatrice Mabel HEWLETT, 22, England, Norway, d/o W.H. HEWLETT &Ellen FELLOWS, witnesses were Fred E. TYLER of Brantford & Agnes Ida HEWLETT of London, April 8, 1901 at Norway
5. Agnes Ida b. July 26, 1879, Batheaston, Somerset, England; d. July 31, 1937, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Agnes married Alec SCOTT. In 1901 Agnes was living with her brother William in London. Agnes & Alec adopted one son, Frank, who left home early, apparently never to be seen again.
6. Hilda Marguerite, b. 1881, Batheaston, Somerset; d. November 25, 1940, Plainfield NJ, USA.Hilda married Harry Holmen COWARD on 20 April 1909 at her mother's residence, 7 Wheeler Ave., Toronto. Hilda was a nurse who went to New York to finish her training, and stayed there. Harry was a banker. They had two children: Elinor (1911) & Mary (1919).
7. Harold Frank, b. 1883; d. 1890, Plainfield NJ, USA.
8. Gladys Helena, b. April 25, 1886, Toronto, Ontario; d. October 05, 1976, Vancouver, WA, USA. Gladys married Sydney Victor HARVEY on Nov. 12, 1911. They had 3 children: William, Kenneth & Eunice
9. Godfrey Randolph, b. March 17, 1889; d. August 11, 1909, Winnipeg, Manitoba. - of an infection while visiting his Aunt Agnes. Buried at St. John's Norway, Toronto
10. Raymond Claude Deacon, b. 1891, Toronto, Ontario; d. November 25, 1915, Ypres, France. Buried in Belgium. Details on war graves commission website.
11.Doris, b. January 02, 1893, Toronto, Ontario; d. November 16, 1959, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Doris married Herbert TILLEY on May 18, 1918. They had two children, Raymond & Ellen
12.Elizabeth Helen Gwendolyn, b. May 05, 1894, Toronto, Ontario; d. September 09, 1975, Bronte, Ontario. Betty married Arnold G. DOBRASION about 1930 in Toronto. They had one child, Joan.
James HEWLETT was born November 13, 1845 in Frome, Somerset, and died January 07, 1928 in Toronto. He married (his second wife), Elizabeth Margaret September 18, 1878 in Yorkville, daughter of John CARTER and Jessie STEWART.
marriage registration #012757-78 (York Co) James HEWLETT, 31, widower, commission merchant, born in England, resident of Toronto, s/o William & Elizabeth, married Elizabeth Margaret CARTER, 20, born in Toronto, resident of Yorkville, d/o John & Jessie, witn: Edward DEACON & Elizabeth CAMERON, both of Toronto, 18 Sept 1878 at Yorkville
James was christened at Christ Church, Frome on Dec 20,1849. In 187 he came to Canada on steamer 'China" of the Cunard Lines where he started as a butcher on Yonge St. In 1876 he established a real estate business, 24 Yonge St Arcade, Toronto. In the 1885 Toronto Directory he is at 150 1/2 King St. West, Toronto (Hewlett Bros). Toronto 1891 census, pg 26 D-11, St. James Ward, film T-6371 and 1901 Toronto census, 30 Collier St. film T-6507, Ward two (G-2), page 5.
Children of James & Elizabeth
Edna Florence HEWLETT, b. February 12, 1880, Toronto; d. July 31, 1943, 5 Wilock St., Toronto; m. Harry TAPSCOTT, October 30, 1907, Toronto.
Elizabeth Viola HEWLETT, known as Viola or Vi, b. February 12, 1882, 38 Beaconsfield St., Toronto; d. October 11, 1969, North Bay; m. Cleo Roy LACEY, June 24, 1901.
James Arthur, b. December 13, 1883, 246 Carlton St., Toronto birth reg # 43984-84; d. March 27, 1886, Toronto.
Walter Stewart HEWLETT, b. October 09, 1885, 248 Carlton St., Toronto; d. October 29, 1977, North Bay; m. Minnie Britnell, Toronto.
Jessie Victoria HEWLETT, b. September 26, 1887, 140 Isabella St..birth reg # 43986-87, Toronto ; d. December 10, 1890, 68 Gloucester St., Toronto.
Ida May HEWLETT, b. December 12, 1891, 25 Isabella St. ,Toronto; d. January 1976, Toronto; m. William Albert LEA, 1915, Toronto.
Muriel Irene HEWLETT, b. December 12, 1891, 25 Isabella St., Toronto birth reg # 23886-92; d. January 02, 1973, Montreal; m. Harry Holman HUNT, Toronto.
Consuela HEWLETT, called Connie, b. June 11, 1898, Uxbridge, Ontario; d. April 13, 1987, Mitchell, Ontario; m. (Rev.) Alvin Stuart McGRATH, October 10, 1922, Toronto.
section 4 - Other Hewletts of Ontario
In Wellington Co
Thomas Hewlitt appears in the 1871 census in Minto twp - age 61, farmer, born England, C of E, film C-9949 (C 1 pg 22). He was the only Thomas Hewlett/Hewlitt as head of household in Ontario at that time
Charles Hewlitt also appears here - age 24, laborer, born England, C of E
marriages (birth place given before residence):
#015426-98 (Wellington Co) Thomas ROBERTS, 30, farmer, not given, Dakota, s/o William ROBERTS & Margaret DALLY (or Bally), married Annie HEWLETT, 28, not given, Minto twp., d/o Thomas HEWLETT & Mary Jane JACK, witn Rebecca RAY & Jane WHITELY, 6 Sep 1898 at Palmerston
#011698-77 (Wellington Co) Charles HEWLETT, 30, mason, London England, Harriston, s/o Thomas & Eliza, married Harriet KAYE, 18, Simcoe town, Harriston, d/o Benjamin & Bridget, witn Benjamin & Bridget KAYE, both of Harriston, 1 July 1877 at Harriston
#011708-76 (Wellington Co) Lewis Alvin KAYE (or RAYE), 26, laborer, Elora, Harriston, s/o James KAYE & Mary LAWRENCE, married Sarah HEWLETT, 20, Minto, Minto twp., d/o Thomas & Maryann, witn Joseph HEWLETT of Minto twp & Mary KAYE of Minto, 1 March 1876 at house of Rev. D. ANDERSON, Rathsay
#013048-87 (Wellington Co) James HEWLETT, 24, farmer, Minto twp., same, s/o Thomas HEWLETT & Mary Ann JAYCOCK, married Eleanor TYNDALL, 20, Minto twp., same, d/o Anthony TYNDALL & Rebecca WATCHORN, witn Walter DOWLE of Harriston & Annie HEWLETT of Minto, 21 Dec 1887 at Minto Parsonage, Harriston
#010014-73 (Perth Co): John W. WHITELEY, 36, widower, pumper, USA, Palmerston, s/o Thomas WHITELEY & Margery BELL, married Maria HEWLETT, 20, England, Minto, d/o Thomas HEWLETT & Mary JACOMB,witn: Alexander THOMPSON & Isabella McDOWELL, both of Palmerston, 8Nov 1873 at Palmerston
This evidence points to Thomas Hewlitt born in England about 1810, first wife was Eliza, and they had son Charles in London England in 1847. Thomas's second wife was Mary Ann Jaycock or Jack or Jacomb and they had children James 1863, Maria about 1863, Sarah 1856, Thomas 1868... all born in Minto twp, Ontario
On 6 April 1859, Alexander MARLING, 26 of Toronto, born in Ebley, Glos., England, s/o John Figgins & Elizabeth, married Julia Sarah HEWLETT, 19, of Toronto, born in Blakeney, Glos., England, d/o Henry & Julia, witn: Thomas T.A. Boys of Bradford and Edward Kimball, in Toronto
#001022-96 (Toronto) Oliver Joseph WRIGHT, 28, carpenter, Lloydtown, King twp., s/o John WRIGHT & Hannah SMITH, married Henrietta HEWLETT, 23, Thameshead England, Buffalo, d/o Henry HEWLETT & Jane CLARKE, witn Marie PATERSON & Harriet BACON, both of Toronto, 14 Nov 1896 -----> This is all that I seem to have on this Hewlett line
deaths In the Toronto Star of 2 April 1945 there is a death notice for Grace Isabella Watson HEWLETT, w/o Henry J. HEWLETT, formerly of Hannaford Ave., and mother of Edna Mae (Mrs. Jack SLATTER of Toronto). Died Sunday 1 April 1945, interment planned for Mt. Pleasant cemetery. She had a longer obit in the Toronto Star on 3 April - age 75, born in Toronto, attended Givens Street school, was a member of the Rogers Memorial presbyterian church, and once belonged to the Queen St. East Presbyterian Church.
#015269-95 (Toronto) Henry James HEWLETT, 20, painter, Toronto, 14 Delgrassi St., s/o John & Sarah, married Jessie Amina ISLES, 20, Quebec, 637 Gerrard St., d/o Charles & Mary, witn Percy SMITH of 5 Gildersleeve Ave., & Lizzie TUGLE of 19 Harriett St., 5 Dec 1895 at 130 Victor Ave.
#015437-93 (Toronto) J. WEIR, 23, fireman, Toronto, same, s/o James & Isabella, married Ellen HEWLETT, 21, England, Toronto, d/o John & Sarah, 14 Dec 1893 at 499 Sherbourne St.
#014858-87 (Toronto) Thomas WATERS, 26, plumber, NY USA, Toronto, s/o Patrick & Ann, married Annie HEWLETT, 19, England, Toronto, d/o John & Winnifred Sarah, witn Michael CORNISH & Alice HEWLETT, both of Toronto, 17 Oct 1887
#015433-93 (Toronto) Thomas VINCENT, 24, coachman, London England, General Hospital Toronto, s/o John & Lizzie, married Annie HEWLETT, 23, England, Toronto, d/o John & Sarah, witn Alice HEWLETT & Henry J. BOWEN, both of Toronto, 20 Sept 1893 at 499 Sherbourne St.
-----> If one assumes that the above 4 marriages are all children of the same John & (Winnifred) Sarah Hewlett, then the family looks something like this Henry James born in Toronto about 1875, Ellen born in England about 1872, Annie born in England about 1870 (marrying twice??), & there was probably also a daughter Alice. .............. this family does appear in the 1901 census for Toronto in ward 1 (F-6), page 6 as John HEWLETT born on 9 Feb 1843 in England, age 58, to Canada in 1874, occupation = church caretaker, + wife Winnifred born 16 March 1846 in England, age 55, to Canada in 1874 + children: Alice M. born 26 Feb 1875, age 26, domestic; Charles born 3 Dec 1879, age 24, printer; Bessie, born 1 Feb 1888, age 13; and Frederick, born 31 Jan 1890, age 11. Also living with them is Thomas VINCENT, son-in-law, born 17 Dec 1868, born England, to Canada in 1886?, illegible occupation + his wife Annie, born 19 April 1869 in England, to Canada in 1874 (see marriage reg above), + children Alice M. born 4 May 1894, Annie V., born 28 May 1897 and Helen A. born 18 Jan1901.
This family is also in the 1881 census, in York East, (microfilm C-13248, or LDS website) as John HEWLETT, 37, laborer, his wife Winnifred 35, children: Annie 10, Ellen 6, Henry James 4, Walter J. 3, and Charles 1. The older girls, Annie & Ellen, were born in England; the other children were born in Ontario.
#004248-88 (Grey Co) Thomas HEWLETT, 34, farmer, England, Scarboro twp., s/o James & Martha, married Elizabeth GALLOWAY, 28, Collingwood twp., same, d/o Edward & Elizabeth, witn Francis GALLOWAY & Mary WRIGHT, both of Collingwood twp., 19 Dec 1888 at Collingwood twp.
#013988-85 (Toronto) Henry HEWLETT, 34, England, Toronto, s/o James & Martha, married Eliza Jane LAVENDER, 24, Essex twp., Toronto, d/o Joseph & Sarah, 16 June 1885
---------> The family of James & Martha Hewlett: I have found this family buried at St. Margarets in the Pines cemetery, West Hill Ontario (close to, if not in, Scarborough which is now part of Toronto). James 1819 - July 19, 1888 and Martha 1819 - May 24, 1891. Thomas Hewlett is also buried here (Jan 10 1853 - Nov 26 1924) along with his wife Elizabeth (nee Galloway) ( 27 Oct 1860 - July 23, 1936). Henry & Eliza Jane are not buried here. Other Hewletts buried at St Margarets Ellen E. 1890 - 15Sep 1891; Herbert F. 13 July 1905-20Aug1905; C. Percival 17Feb1903 - 27July1919; Edward J. 25Aug1891-4March1957; and Earle M. 24Feb1901-31March1969. I am not sure how they are related to each other but birth & death registrations would give the answers.
----------> 1891 census of Toronto, St. Patricks Ward (G-6), microfilm T-6372, page 14 - William HEWLETT age 35, born Ontario, both parents born England, Roman Catholic, stove finisher, + his wife Frances age 35, born USA and both of her parents born USA + children: William age 5 born Ontario, Laura age 12 born USA, George age 18 born USA and William age 14 born USA.
----------> 1891 census of Toronto, St. Patricks Ward (G-6), microfilm T-6372, page 43 - Henry HEWLETT, age 42, born England, both parents born England, C of E, carpenter, + wife Elizabeth born Ontario, both parents born Ireland, + children Elsie 5, Edith H. 2, and William H. 6 months (all born in Ontario)
---------> 1891 census of Toronto, St. Patricks Ward (G1), microfilm T-6371, page 13 - William HEWLETT, age 65, born England, both parents born England, manufacturer of springs, + wife Margaret age 67 born Ireland, both parents born Ireland, RC, + children: James A. age 32, Albert E. age 29 and Margaret age 24.
One interesting 'family' in the 1901 census of Toronto, ward 1, polling station 11, page 6:
other Hewlett marriages
010372-89 (Prince Edward Co) Samuel K. BOWERMAN, 22, farmer, Hallowell, same, s/o Valentine & Charlotte, married Jennie HEWLETT, 18, Wegnelo? NY, Picton, d/o Thomas & Margaret, witn William & Minnie WELSH of Picton, 9 Dec 1889 at Picton. (Jennie HEWLETT had previously been a witness at the marriage between Charles BOWERMAN (brother to Samuel) and Mary M. ACKERMAN, 1888)
#006417-84 (Grenville Co) William HEWLETT, 25, butcher, Isle of Jersy, Rochesterville? - Ottawa, s/o Thomas & Ann, married Elizabeth E. VENN, 19, Prescott, same, d/o John & Mary, witn Fannie VENN & George ORR, 25 Sept 1883 at Prescott
#010290-80 (Simcoe Co) James HARKING, 25, farmer, Ontario, Sunnidale, s/o Edward HARKING & Mary DUNN, married Ann HEWLETT, 29, Ontario, Brentwood, d/o William HEWLETT & Margaret GANNON, witn Daniel & Ellen LEAN of Brentwood, 8 Nov 1880 at Sunnidale -----> William Hewlett is in the 1871 census, blacksmith, living in Simcoe Co., Essa twp., age 45, born England, C of E, film C-9961 (F 1 pg 22). He was the only William Hewlitt/Hewlett
#007466-78 (Northumberland & Durham) Samuel C. HEWLETT, 23, yeoman, Sidney, Belmont, s/o Samuel & Rachel, married Cynthia Ann VERMILYEA, 18, Murray, same, d/o William & Hannah, witn Henry SHARP & Deborah VERMILYEA, both of Murray, 27 Feb 1878 at Murray
# 7796-35 William HEWLETT, age 72, widower, born Island of Guernsey, s/o William HEWLETT (b. England) & don't know. Residence: 62 Sorensen St. in Toronto. Died 25 Dec 1935 at TGH (Toronto), of broncho-pneumonia. Buried at Parklawn cemetery. Informant was William Thomas HEWLETT of 80 12th St. in New Toronto, nephew of the deceased.
Ottawa City Directory 1901
910.7138076 Toronto Reference Library
HEWLETT, Harry, driver, RE Johnson, h 87 Le Breton
HEWLETT, James, midr. OF & F Co. h 64 Spruce
HEWLETT, Thomas civ serv., h 93 Le Breton
HEWLETT, William F. mach, l 64 Spruce
HEWLETT, William H, h over 174 Rochester
Ottawa City Directory 1909
HEWLETT, Harry driver Bryson Graham & Co., h 87 Le Breton
HEWLETT, Thomas, sess messr H of C, h 99 Le Breton
HEWLETT, William T., driver, h 317 Le Breton
http://www.creech.freeuk.com/census1851.htm Creech St. Michael 1851 census
HEWLETT Anne Servant 34 Dressmaker Sherborne, Dorset.
CLEVE William 37 Inn Keeper Clayhidon, Devon.
Mary 30 Bishop Lydiard, Som.
James HEWLETT, laborer, of Owermoigne, age 35, convicted of smuggling in 1840, sentenced to 6 months
1812 13Feb Hewett James - tenant Chitterwell Wellington to let
1812 17Sep Hewlett William - Sherborne widow died
Some Selected Reports from the Salisbury and Winchester
July 22nd, 1782
FAREHAM, June 30, 1782.
STRAYED, out of the grounds belonging to WM.HEWLETT, a Bay GELDING, near sixteen hands high, with a small white stripe in his forehead, galled on both shoulders with the thill harness; and a Bay MARE, near fourteen hands and a half high, of the blood kind, with a black mane and tail.
Whoever will give information to the said Wm.Hewlett, so as they may be had again, shall receive One Guinea reward, and all reasonable charges.