back to family of Wright Barker
Family of Josiah Barker
Wright Barker was one son of Josiah BARKER. Another son was Joy (sometimes written as Joz)
Joy BARKER was born about 1820, and died October 17, 1896. He married Mary GROGAN, daughter of Patrick GROGAN and Mary QUIGLEY. [Marriage records at LDS website - Town and vital records 1808-1893 Exeter (Maine). In those records her surname is spelled CROGAN.]. Mary was born in Maine in 1824 and she died in Tilsonburg on 1 Sept 1918
Both Joy and Mary are buried at Mt. Elgin, beside Wright BARKER & his wife. Joy's tombstone says age 77 yrs, 5 months.
In the 1871 census they are at lot 9 con 11 Dereham twp., Oxford Co., C9910 A-1 pg 76. Tenants on 60 acres.
In the 1881 census they are in Dereham twp., as Jay and Mary Jane. Two daughters are there: Leona age 19 and Jane age 17
In the 1901 census Mary is a widow; she is living with her daughter Eva (Thompson) in Dereham.
Children of Joy & Mary:
1. Charles, b. about 1845, in USA.
2. Ann, b. about 1850 in Maine. Married Arthur SCOTT on 11 March 1868 in Ontario. Arthur was born in London, England on 10 June 1844 and he died sometime between 1910 and 1920
- In the 1880 census they are in Aetna, Mecosta Co. Michigan, with three children:
- In the 1910 census Arthur & Ann were in Goodwell twp., Newaygo Co. Michigan. With them with them is grand-daughter Linnie Irene JOHNSON, age 3 & born in Michigan
- In the 1920 census (also Goodwell twp), Ann was a widow. Her grand-daughter Linnie Johnson is still with her, now age 12, as is a grandson, James FRENCH, age 8 born in Michigan
Children of Ann & Arthur (all born in Michigan)
Charles, born about 1870
Bella, born about 1873
Linnia May, born about 1875. Linnia married George FREDENBURG who was born in Ontario about 1874. In the 1920 census, George & Linnie were in Goodwell twp., Newaygo Co. Michigan along with their 13 children.
3. Mary Frances, (called Frances) b. June 21, 1851, Maine, USA. She married James Hay GOODHAND May 24, 1875 in Straffordville, Ontario. d. March 22, 1943, Toronto (at the home of her daughter Winnifred HOGG). Mary & James are buried in Tilsonburg. James was born about 1852 in Ontario. In the 1881 census they are in Tilsonburg, film C-13266, 165 B page 55.
Children of James & Mary:
Irvin Chesley, b. March 03, 1876 in Dereham twp. (appears as Evan in LDS census transcription 1881).
In Nov. 1904 Irvin married Mary Ann PIPER, d/o Henry PIPER & Elizabeth GIBSON. He was a cheese maker in Oxford County & she was a resident of Canborough, which is where they were married
Everett Ryerson, b. November 03, 1877. (appears as Edward in LDS census transcription 1881).
In Feb of 1905 Everett married Agnes THOMPSON, d/o William THOMPSON & Violet BROWN. Everett was a farmer in Otterville (Oxford Co) & the marriage took place in Tilsonburg
Leone Cora,. December 03, 1879.
In Sept of 1923 Leone Cora married Harold WARDLE. A marriage announcement appeared in Sentinel Review (Woodstock), 28 Sep 1923. In 1930 they were in Detroit.
Ethel Rae, b. 1881.
John Barker, b. September 20, 1884.
George Thomas, b. October 01, 1886.
Fred Bryan, b. July 20, 1889.
Winnifred Gertrude, b. March 09, 1896; m. Unknown HOGG.
Emma, b. 1900. Was 6 months old at the time of the 1901 census.
4. Sarah E. b. Abt. 1855, in USA. (1871 census - at home)
5. Thomas, b. Abt. 1858, Ontario. (1871 census - at home)
6. Lucy A., b. Abt. 1860, Ontario. (1871 census - at home)
7. Sophia Leona, 1861 - 1942 (at home in 1881 census ). On 15 May 1882 she married Thomas R. WESENGER, s/o Rudloph & Malvina. Their daughter Cora was born in 1888. Cora then married Harvey FRENCH on 18 Nov 1908 in Tilsonburg. Cora, Harvey & Cora's parents are all buried in Tilsonburg cemetery, section H.
8. Eva, born 10 Sept 1863 (1901 census).
Eva married Richard THOMSON on 22 Sept 1893 in Springford. Richard was a farmer in Dereham twp. and he was s/o William R. & Violet [is Richard the brother of Agnes who married Everett BARKER?]
Children of Eva & Richard
- Alice, February 16, 1894
- William, November 19, 1896
- John, June 27, 1899
9. Aneah?, b. Abt.