With many thanks to Margaret Hunter & Joy Flint for their contributions to this page.
Ruth REVIS married John Bertram FLINT, that is the connection to my family tree.
The REVIS family of Thomas and Ann (nee FAIRLEES) appears in the 1861 census for Markham twp., Ontario. They are in division 8. This census is available online (link), although Revis appears as Rives.
In the 1871 census, also Markham twp., (reel C-9969, D-6, page 47) the Revis household consists of the following: Elizabeth REVIS, 30, Rachel REVIS age 28, Ruth REVIS age 17, Jane REVIS age 20, and Mary REVIS age 14. (all born in Canada)
Thomas REVIS died 10 April 1867 and Ann FAIRLESS died 2 March 1869. They are both buried in Hagerman (east) Cemetery in Markham, Ont, along with an infant son Robert (b: December 1849 d: March 05, 1850) and daughter Maria (see below)
The Revis Girls:
1. Sarah, born August 14, 1838 and died May 29, 1910 in Blenheim (Kent Co Ontario). She married John HAGERMAN on June 29, 1858. John was born on March 28, 1837 in Hagerman's Corners, Markham Ont. and he died February 06, 1938.
Children of John & Sarah HAGERMAN:
Emily Ann, 19 May 1860 - 5 May 1861, buried at Hagermans Corners cemetery
Thomas Revis HAGERMAN, b. 1863. On 10 Feb 1886 in Markham twp., he married Agnes Jane REID (d/o Robert REID & Janet HAMILTON). Thomas & Agnes were in Markham in the 1901 census, with their 6 children: Robert, John, Sarah, Thomas, Ethel & Arthur.
Rose Ann HAGERMAN, b. 1865. In 1884 she married William J. SNOBELEN in Harwich, Kent Co. They had a daughter Sadie Irene who was born 7 April 1888 in Harwich - her birth was not registered until 1952 at which time she was Sadie Irene Snobelen MAINE and she was living at RR1 Blenheim. There is a marriage registration (11170-08) for another daughter, Elizabeth Gertrude SNOBELEN who married a Gordon R.M. CLARK, s/o Charles CLARK & Hannah Maria HERON, on 10 March 1908 in Harwich. Both of these daughters (Sadie as Sarah) were with their parents in Harwich in the 1901 census - along with a younger daughter Vida who was born in 1890.
Arthur McClung HAGERMAN, b. 1869. On 27 March 1890 in Zephyr, he married Phoebe V. NAHAM
Laura May HAGERMAN, b. 1875. She married Thomas BROOM on 2 May 1896 in Harwich. In the 1901 census they are in Merlin in Harwich twp. with 2 sons. Roy Clifford BROOM was born 5 Oct 1897 and Clarence was born 5 April 1899. They had another son, Ray Edwin BROOM born 7 Jan 1906 in the town of Essex where Thomas was a vet. surgeon.
2. Elizabeth: born 24 July 1840 in Markham twp. ..... In the 1881 census, Elizabeth is unmarried, and living with her widowed sister Jane in Stouffville .... In 1885 Elizabeth REVIS married Thomas TRUMAN, a widower from Iowa....... Her death registration is: 1928, death reg # 39763, Elizabeth TRUMAN who died at age 88 years on 22 April 1928 of senility & cerebral embolism, at Stouffville. She was a widow. Born in Markham twp on 24 July 1840, d/o Thomas REVIS & Ann FAIRLESS (both b. in England). Her sister was Mrs. W. BROWN of Stouffville. Elizabeth is buried in Stouffville cemetery.
3. Rachel. born 30 July 1842.... Rachel REVIS married John SANDERS: Marr reg # 13244-73 (York Co): John SANDERS, 23, lumberman, b. England, res. Stouffville, s/o Daniel & Mary, married Rachel REVIS, 30, b. Markham, res. Stouffville, d/o Thomas & Ann, witn: Thomas P. SANDERS & Ruth REVIS, both of Stouffville, 30 June 1873 at Markham. Is this John SANDERS related to the W.B. SANDERS who married Mabel FLINT (d/o Mathew & Emma)?
Rachel & John are in Stouffville in the 1901 census (division 2, page 3). Rachel was an artist; John was a grain dealer. They had three sons: William born 14 April 1879, age 21; Edward born 12 Feb 1882, age 19 and Blake J., born 24 Nov 1883, age 17.
John SANDERS, 11 June 1849 - 27 Sept 1928 and his wife Rachel REVIS, 30 July 1842 - 28 Dec 1928
Eliza Jane SANDERS, d/o John & Rachel, born 13 Sept 1877, died 4 July 1891 - in same plot as: Sarah Luella SANDERS, wife of J.W. BRUCE, 8 July 1875 to 27 Aug 1901
Blake was John Blake SANDERS and on 6 May 1911 he married Luella Evelyn STRATTON (d/o Walter C. STRATTON & Hattie? Emma ABRAM). In 1911 John Blake was a painter in Toronto. Marriage reg 20404-11
4. Ann. A baptismal record exists for an Ann REVIS, d/o Thomas and Ann who was baptised in Toronto in 1845 (birthdate, March 1, 1845). Ann married John STORRY and they too were in Stouffville in 1901 (division 1, page 1 of the census). John was born in England on 2 Aug 1843, age 57, and came to Canada in 1853; farmer. They had one child at home in 1901 - Annie M. who was born 10 Oct 1885.
Annie M. STORRY married Isaiah SANDERS in Stouffville on 5 June 1906. Isaiah was a commercial traveller, of Toronto, born in Dundalk and s/o Jonas SANDERS & Christena BYER. Witnesses were Arthur BROWN of Stouffville & Katherine SANDERS of Brown Hill. Marriage reg 21664-06. [Was Isaiah related to Annie?]
I have found a marriage record for a Carla Gertrude STORRY, d/o John & Ann (nee Revis). She was age 40 in 1920 which would mean that she was born in 1880. The marriage occurred in Vancouver BC and this is the transcription of the marriage record:
20-09-211889 John McLAUGHLAN, 50, widower, grocer, Gibraltar - British Isles, Vancouver, s/o James McLAUGHLAN, in the army, & Ellen BINNIE, married Carla Gertrude HAYNES, 40, widow, Stouffville Ont., Vancouver, d/o John STORRY, farmer & Ann REVIS, witn: Hartley F. & Mrs. H.F. STORRY, 14 June 1920 at res of H.F. Storry
Carla Gertrude married Edwin Thomas HAYNES on 20 Feb 1906 in Stouffville. Edwin was a merchant in Ingersoll Ont. at the time. [Ont marriage reg'n 21658-06]
The Storry family appears in the 1891 census (Uxbridge) as follows:
John Storry, age 48, b. England & both parents born England, farmer
Ann Storry, age 46, wife, born Ontario, both parents born England
William Storry, age 19 [his wife's name was Ida Jane & they were in Uxbridge in the 1911 census with son George age 6, daughter May Lily age 5, and daughter Cora Gertrude age 9 months. Also, birth reg'n for William - 13847-71: William Lesley STORRY, s/o John & Ann nee Revis, born 8 May 1871 at Whitchurch. Also, marriage reg'n for Leslie STORY marrying Ida J. MAJOR of Markham, d/o Sidney MAJOR & Elizabeth - 7 Feb 1894 at Stouffville]
Hatley F. Storry, age 15, son [In the 1911 census he is in Vancouver (2027 2nd St) as H.F. Storry with his wife I.M. Storry age 34 (b. Oct 1876 in Ont) and sons Clifford H. Storry b. March 1911 in BC, E.A. born Oct 1909 in BC and J.R. born Nov 1909 in Ont. and daughter Ada Storry b. Sept 1907 in Alberta. Also, Ontario birth reg (delayed) 501542-1954 is for John Revis Storry b. 24 Nov 1900 at Toronto, s/o Hartley Fletcher STORRY & Ida Mary SANDELL. Hartley was tailor, born in Stouffville; Ida was born in Niagara Ont. In 1954 John gives his residence as Websters Corners BC]
Ethel Storry, age 14 [Ethel married Abram HARLAND on 29 March 1899 at Stouffville..... Abraham & Ethel move to McDonald Manitoba where they were for the 1911 census (with Ethel's parents). They had 5 children in 1911: Rita 11, Melvin 9, Hartley 7, Wesley 6 and Leonard 2. The older 3 were born in Ontario.]
Carla G. Storry, age 12 [c/b Earla Gertrude or Carla Gertrude]
Annie Storry, age 5
John STORRY died in Vernon BC on 8 April 1926
5. Jane. born about 1852 in Markham. On September 04, 1872 in Scarborough, Jane REVIS married Ezekiel RICHARDSON, a clergyman, and they had at least 2 children: Otto born about 1874 and Gilbert born about 1875. By 1881 Jane was a widow. In 1928 Gilbert is a doctor in Toronto. After Ezekeil died, Jane married John Wilmot BROWN.
St Andrew's UC - Markham - Reel LCM-251: Groom - G.T.R. RICHARDSON, 29, Brison PQ, Emsdale Parry Sound Dist, b, physician, Methodist, s/o Ezekiel RICHARDSON & Jane REVIS; Bride - Mabel YOUNG, 27, Markham, same, s, Methodist, d/o George YOUNG & Isabella DORR; Witn Arthur H. BROWN of Stouffville, Ethel McKENZIE of Toronto; Married 3 September 1903 at Markham Twp
Stouffville cemetery: John Wilmot BROWN, 1851 - 17 Dec 1930, his wife Jane REVIS, March 1851 - 16 Oct 1936 (also wife of Rev. Ezekial RICHARDSON)
1901 census: Jane & Wilmot Brown are in Whitchurch, along with son Arthur H. (born 1 Aug 1886), step-son Otto, and Wilmot's widowed mother, Margaret BROWN (born 18 Oct 1824)
Otto L. RICHARDSON died 16 May 1913 at Whitchurch twp., age 40 + 8 +12, single, death reg 37795-13.
Arthur Harold BROWN was born 1 Aug 1886 in Whitchurch twp (reg 41880-86). He died 21 Oct 1925 at Lions Head, Bruce Co. Ontario. He was age 39 + 2 + 20. On 2 Jan 1912 in Teeswater, he married Martha Fay Victoria COLVIN, d/o Andrew W. COLVIN & Fanny JOHNSON. On the marriage reg (5298-12), Arthur gives his residence as R--? Dist. in Alberta where he was a physician.
Gilbert RICHARDSON & Mabel YOUNG had a son, John Revis Young RICHARDSON on 22 July 1909 at Lot 15, Con 10 of McMurrich twp. Birth reg 35764-09. Gilbert was a physician in Sprucedale.
In the 1911 census, Gilbert & Mabel are in Sprucedale, along with son John and a daughter Grace who was born in July of 1904.
6. Ruth. born about 1854. See Flint page
7. Mary born about 1858 in Markham (not sure if Mary or Maria was the older). She married David STOUFFER in Stouffville in 1890 and they had a son, Revis Parsons STOUFFER who was born 24 March 1891 (birth reg 44336-91). Mary is buried in Stouffville; she died 4 May 1893 - death reg 20150-93, at age 36 + 10 + 19
Mary & David were married on 12 Feb 1890 in Toronto. Marriage reg. 13950-90. Witnesses were Jane & John Wilmot BROWN of Whitchurch. Mary was age 33 & her residence was given as Decorah? Iowa. David was a merchant in Stouffville. He was s/o Abraham & Esther.
David remarried in 1907, to Margaret STEPHENSON and they are in the 1911 census, at 55 Charles St. in Toronto, where David is baker. Revis is with them, age 20.
Revis married Ethel Anna ROBERTSON in Morrisburg Ontario on 3 Nov 1921. Marr reg 20686-21. Revis was a feature writer & his residence was 184 Briar Hill Ave in Toronto. Ethel was a secretary & was living in Matilda twp., she was d/o Colin ROBERTSON & Annie DEEKS. Witnesses at the marriage were Ruth HILLIARD of Morrisburg & Clare B. SHAVEL? of Iroquois.
8. Maria born about 1859, died age 5
Thomas and Ann REVIS also had a son Robert who died in infancy.
Hagermans East Cemetery, Lot 6, Con 6 of Markham twp., (Hagermans Corners)
5. James FAIRLES, 1823 - 1899, his wife Eliza Jane PATTERSON, 1828 - 1886
6. Elizabeth, d/o James & Eliza J. FAIRLE, d. 27 June 1877 at age 24 yrs, 10 months & 12 days
7. Amanda Jane, d/o James & Eliza J. FAIRLES, d/ 29 Aug 1856, at age 1 yr + 2 months + 11 days
11. Thomas FAIRLES, d/ 17 July 1852 at age 59 yrs + 2 months
12. Elizabeth FAIRLES, d/ 17 Oct 1851 at age 16 yrs + 10 months + 5 days
13. George FAIRLES, d/ 29 Dec 1852 at age 24 yrs + 11 days
20. Robert, s/o Thomas & Ann REVIS, d. 5 March 1850, at age 2 months + 16 days
22. Rhoda Maria, d/o Thomas & Ann REVIS, died 10 Aug 1865 at age 5 yrs + 6 months + 23 days
23. Thomas REVIS, d/ 10 April 1867 at age 62 yrs + 4 months + 8 days
24. Ann FAIRLES, wife of Thomas REVIS, d. 2 March 1869 at age 49 yrs + 10 months + 2 days
84. Thomas, s/o James & Eliza J. FAIRLES d. 4 Sept 1848 at age 5 days