(with help from Steve Marshall & Jeannette Flear)
Thomas STANFIELD was born Abt. 1810 in England. He married Ann FLEAR.
In the 1871 census they were in Toronto twp., Peel co. (Dist. 6, pg 22)
Children of Thomas & Ann (FLEAR) are:
1. Joseph STANFIELD, b. Abt. 1846, Canada. He married Isabella MOORE April 24, 1873 in Brampton, Ontario, daughter of Samuel MOORE and Mary JUDSON (Isabella was a resident of Toronto twp at the time).
- In the 1891 census they were in Toronto twp. where Joseph was a farmer.
- In the 1901 census Joseph & Isabella were still in Toronto twp. (d-4, pg 1). Both children still living at home.
From http://www.carldefariampp.com/riding.htm is taken the following bit of Mississauga history:
MOORE-STANFIELD HOUSE - 1295 BURNHAMTHORPE ROAD EAST
The house originally belonged to Samuel Moore and was built in 1882.
This is one of two remaining structures left in the original community of
Burnhamthorpe - once an agricultural village containing a post-office,
blacksmith shop, school, shoe store, wagon shop, and numerous homes.
In 1886, the house and property was sold to Moores brother-in-law,
Joseph Stanfield. The house remained in the Stanfield family until the 1980s.
Children of Joseph and Isabella are:
William Thomas STANFIELD, b. Abt. 1875, Canada; m. Minnie HARTLEY, March 18, 1908, Hornings Mills, Mulmer twp., Dufferin Co.,Ontario. Minnie was age 21, born in Canada, resident of Mulmur twp and d/o William HARTLEY & Annie FLEAR, witn: William McCORMICK & Annie May HARTLEY, both of Honeywood. Marr reg # 6400-08
Josephine STANFIELD, b. Abt. 1879, Toronto twp; m. David A. PEDDLE, s/o Abslom PEDDLE & Ann LYNN, March 04, 1908, Malton, Ontario. Marriage reg # 15726-08, witn: John & Elizabeth PEDDLE of Malton. In 1908, both Josephine & David were residents of Burnhamthorpe
2. Richard STANFIELD, born 13 Feb 1849 in Toronto twp., Peel Co. and died 19 July 1932 in Toronto. He married Rebecca LYONS on 27 March 1871 in Summerville, Toronto twp., d/o William LINES & Elizabeth DOUGHTY. She was born 26 March 1848 in Etobicoke twp., York Co. and she died 5 April 1926 in Toronto.
- In the 1881 & 1891 census they were in Toronto twp., and in 1881 they were living beside Thomas & Ann Stanfield.
- In 1901 they were in Summerville - Richard was a butcher. Richard & Rebecca are buried at Park Lawn Cemetery.
Children of Richard & Rebecca:
William Thomas STANFIELD, born 23 Aug 1873, Toronto twp; m. Emily B. WELLER, May 01, 1895, Islington, Ontario. Marr reg # 9496-95, witn: Alfred SAUNDERS & Elizabeth A. STANFIELD. In 1895, William was a farmer in Toronto twp. Emily was born on 9 Feb 1873 in Toronto twp., d/o James & Eunice WELLER. Called Thomas in the 1881 census.
Children of William & Emily:
- Eunice Emily born 9 Jan 1891 in Summerville. She married George GRIME on 8 Dec 1907 in Cooksville. Second marriage was to George GARNESS
- Gordon Thomas born 11 March 1896 in Summerville
- Florence born 28 Dec 1897 in Summerville. Married Edward JONES on 5 Oct 1915 in Bolton.
Elizabeth Ann STANFIELD, born 27 Sept 1875 in Burnhamthorpe. She married Alfred SANDERSON, 28, farmer, born in England on 8 June 1867, resident of Burnhamthorpe, s/o John & Sarah. Marr reg # #014274-96, witn: Mary E. HOWELL & Joseph R. STANFIELD, both of Burnhamthorpe, March 18, 1896 at Islington. Alfred & Elizabeth were living with Elizabeth's parents at the time of the 1901 census, along with their two children: Ellen R/B (called Nellie). born 31 Jan 1897 and John H. born 17 Aug 1898.
Joseph Richard STANFIELD, born in 1878. He was age 24, farmer, resident of Summerville when he married Amy Alfretta SNIDER, 19, born in & resident of Summerville, d/o George SNIDER & Abigail TURNER. Married on 1 January 1902 at Lambton Mills. Reg #019088-02, witn: Robert IRWIN & Susan DANIELS, both of Toronto Junction. In the 1901 census, both Joseph & Amy were single, strays, working in the household of Charles & Margaret SILVERTHORNE in Islington, Etobicoke twp. Joseph & Amy had 6 children: Pearl, Hattie, Jack, Lois, Verna & Edna Alberta (b. 1902).
John James STANFIELD, born in 1879 in Toronto twp.; m. Bridget Ann BOVAIRD, April 04, 1906, Brampton, Ontario. Marr reg #015784-06. In 1910 John James was 26, of Burnhamthorpe, farmer; Bridget was 21, of Brampton, d/o James & Fannie BOVAIRD. Witnesses were Albert REE of Burnhamthorpe and Jane BOVAIRD of Brampton. Married 4 April 1906, Brampton.
Children of John & Bridget:
- Fanny Rebecca born 17 Jan 1907, died 7 Jan 1988, married Robert SCOTT who died 12 April 1983
- Florence Mae, born 19 Aug 1908, married Hiram Wallace CASLOR
- Annie Isabel, born 20 May 1913 in Toronto twp., died 6 April 2001, married Thomas Gordon WEECH
- Frederick David, born 21 June 1915 in Toronto twp., died 21 June 1981, married Gertrude Isabel DORRINGTON
- Gordon William, born 17 Nov 1917, died 5 Oct 1994,married Betty Mae BULLOCK
- Dorothy, born 6 April 1920 in Toront twp., married Vernon NEWSON
- Betty Jacklin, married Charles MARTN
George Wilber STANFIELD was born in Summerville on 11 Sept 1880. He was a farmer in Summerville in 1903. He married Blanch Ethel WILLIAMSON, age 20, born in England, resident of Dixie, on 17 March 1903, in Toronto. Blanch's parents names were not given on the marriage registration (# 001466-03) but she was d/o John & unknown. Witnesses at the marriage: Amy H. JOHNSTON of Toronto and Susan B. WILLIAMSON of Dixie.
They had at least two children, Arthur Richard, born 12 Nov 1903 and Elsie Charlotte, b. 22 Mar.1905 in Toronto twp.
Geralda Ethel (also called Ella) STANFIELD, born in Summerville on 6 Nov 1883. She was a resident of Dixie in 1912. She married George Washington HARRIS, age 43, of Summerville, carpenter,widower, s/o Daniel F. HARRIS, gardener, & Margaret PARKER. Marr reg #24032-12; witnesses - Lavinia M. EVANS & Ella L. FRANKS. Married 28 August 1912 at Islington.
Ida Rebecca STANFIELD, born 2 Sept 1891, probably in Summerville (according to her marriage regisration); m. Isaac M. NEWLOVE, September 09, 1908, Summerville, Peel Co.. Isaac was age 20, born in & resident of Richview, a farmer. He was s/o William NEWLOVE and Maggie TIFFIN. Ida R. was a 17 yr old domestic, resident of Summerville at the time of her marriage. Marr reg # 15737-08; witnesses - Walter MILLS of Islington and Anne F. NEWLOVE,
3. Thomas STANFIELD, b. Abt. 1851, Etobicoke, Ontario. He married Elizabeth Ann TRUEMAN on 30 Jan 1879 in Toronto twp. She was d/o William TRUEMAN & Jane MOORE. Thomas died before 1891, and Elizabeth re-married, to a Thomas MADGET (or Madgett).
- Elizabeth was born 18 Dec 1859
- Thomas MADGET was born 28 Nov 1860, s/o John MADGET born 16 May 1814.
- 1901 census, Thomas & Elizabeth are in Toronto twp (d-8, pg 6)
Children of Thomas STANFIELD & Elizabeth:
John, b. Abt. 1880. In 1891 census he was living with his Trueman grandparents. In the 1901 census he was a boarder in the household of Truman & Harriet CULHAM. Arnold DIVELL, s/o Wm DIVELL & Sarah TRUEMAN was a boarder in the house next door, also a CULHAM residence - Joseph CULHAM & Ida nee DIVELL - Arnold's sister.
#020729-04 (York Co) John STANFIELD, 24, Peel Co Ont, Toronto Junction, b, brick maker, s/o Thomas STANFIELD & Elizabeth TRUEMAN, married Anne MADGET, 27, Weston Ont, Toronto Junction, s, d/o Henry MADGET & Britania LAROSE, witn: Bert MADGET of Brampton, Bella STANFIELD of Toronto, 16 December 1903, Toronto Junction
William Thomas, b. June 09, 1881, Burnahmthorpe, Toronto twp.; m. Adeline K. NICHOLS, April 08, 1914, Toronto. Marr reg # 2582-14, witn: E. Marion WILSON & Miriam KERR. In 1914 William was a traveller, living in Toronto. Adeline was age 26, born in Lindsay, resident of Toronto, d/o David NICHOLS & Susan WHITE
In the 1891 census William was living with his Trueman grandparents
Isabella, born 10 Aug 1883
Children of Thomas MADGET & Elizabeth (all living at home in the 1901 census)
Lillie, b 14 June 1888
Ethel, born 6 Sept 1892
John T. , born 26 March 1895
James A., born 9 Nov 1898
4. Mary STANFIELD, born about 1853, was age 17 in the 1871 census (living at home).
5. William STANFIELD, b. November 13, 1854; d. November 03, 1927. He married Rachel MOORE on February 23, 1886 in Toronto, Ontario, daughter of Robert MOORE and Margaret UNKNOWN (probably nee MOORE). Rachel was probably first cousin to Isabella MOORE who married William's brother Joseph. Rachel was born 12 April 1867.
Children of Rachel & William:
Daisy, b. June 09, 1887; m. Nathan H. POND, June 30, 1909. In 1909 Nathan was age 33, blacksmith, living in Jarvis, and he was s/o Richard POND & Annie HOOVER. In 1909 Daisy was a school teacher in Townsend. They were married in Hamilton (marr reg # 22538-10). In the 1881 census, Richard & Ann POND are in Walpole twp in Haldimand Co with their 9 children: Amelia 19; John 17; James 15; Elizibeth 13; Wesley 11; Joseph 8; Nathan 6; Henry 3; Mary 0 (born in March).
Robert William, b. March 31, 1889, Dixie, Ontario; d. January 27, 1966, Cooksville, Ontario . He married Lillian Rose MILLER. Their children: Harvey, Violet (m. Melville INGLIS), Robert, Rose (m. Peter LARKIN), Frank, Ernest Oscar, Audrey (m. Arthur COLLINS), Merion, Victor and Hazel (m. Albert NUTTALL)
Florence N., b. April 11, 1891.
May Wilhelmina, b. September 18, 1893; m. Gordon DEVITT.
Verda Viola, b. February 17, 1896; m. a THAN.
Arthur Surgey, b. August 09, 1900, Toronto twp., Peel Co., Ontario.
Caroline, b. February 21, 1903, Toronto twp. Birth reg # 33662-03
6. Sarah Ann STANFIELD, b. Abt. 1863. (not with her family in 1871)
Other Stanfield Marriages (Ontario)
#011834-02 (Middlesex Co): William Mason HALL, 21, baker,
Imlay City, s/o William H. HALL & Atttie COOK, married Alice Margaret
STANFIELD, 22, Fort Erie, London, d/o Thomas STANFIELD & Elizabeth
BAXTER, witn: Ernie STANFIELD & Edith POTTS, both of London, 10 Dec
1902 at London
#003069-04 (Toronto) James L. STANFIELD, 25,
England, Toronto, b,
warehouse clerk, s/o Crowther STANFIELD & Ellen GUEST, married Nina
HENDERSON, 27, England, Toronto, s, d/o Thomas HENDERSON & Mary
J. ROBINSON, witn: Emily C. BROWN, Harry BRADLEY, both Toronto, 8
June 1904, Toronto
19712-08 (Welland Co): John Freeman TOPPING, 41, salesman,
London, s/o Jacob TOPPING & Elizabeth CARR, married Ethel May
STANFIELD, 27, London, same, d/o Wesley L. STANFIELD & Mary ORD,
witn: C.H.E. SMITH of Niagara Falls, 27 Jan 1908 at Niagara Falls
#003034-95 (Elgin Co): George Hugh STANFIELD,
23, farmer, Woodstock,
St. Thomas, s/o William (deceased) and Mary, married Maud WESTOVER, 21,
Fort Erie, St. Thomas, d/o Henry & Letitia, witn: Clara MORLEY of Port Stanley
& Pollie ANDREW of Aylmer, 19 June 1895 at Aylmer
#002595-83 (Elgin Co): Abram UDELL, 28, engineer, not given,
s/o William & Elizabeth, married Jane Christena STANFIELD, 21, not given,
New Sarum, d/o William & Hannah, witn: Sarah Annie DRANSY & Trinity H.
CALANT, both of Pt. Burwell, 7 Aug 1882 at Pt. Burwell
10270-96 (Perth Co): Charles H. BRINE, 37, clerk, London twp.,
Marys, s/o James BRINE & Elizabeth STANFIELD, married Sophia
INGRAM, 23, London twp., same, d/o James INGRAM & Margaret
HENDERSON, witn: Maggie WILSON of Granton & William HAWKINS
of St. Marys, 22 April 1896 at St. Marys