Jonathan Purcell was born 3 Sep 1754 in Hampshire Co., Virginia (now West Virginia). He was the first son and oldest child of Edward PURCELL and Ann HAMPTON. Jonathan married Catherine DOUTHIT about 1773 in Virginia.
To this marriage was born 10 children:
- Noah, b. 29 Nov 1774, d. 29 Oct 1848. (Married Sarah DECKER).
- Jacob, b. 12 Feb 1776, d. ????.
- Andrew, b. 30 Apr 1778, d. 29 Mar 1857. (Married Mary Jacqueline RAY).
- John, b. 23 Jun 1780, d. 24 Apr 1856. (Married Hannah HOLLINGSWORTH).
- Jonathan, Jr., b. 17 Jan 1783, d. ????.
- Catherine, b. Jan 1785, d. ????.
- Elizabeth, b. 21 Mar 1787, d. ????. (Married Ardmore or Adam John HARNESS).
- James, b. 16 Feb 1789, d. ????.
- Sarah, b. 8 Feb 1792, d. ????. (Married Leonard CROSBY).
- Rebecca, b. ????, d. 24 Apr 1814.
Jonathan and his brothers Edward and William served in the Revolutionary War, though I haven't yet found his service record.
Catherine died in Knox County, Indiana on 28 May 1799 and her burial place is unknown. Jonathan followed her in death 1813 (his headstone says 4 Mar, but other sources say September) in Knox County, Indiana and he is buried in the West Salem Cemetery in Knox County, Indiana (headstone).
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me at the address below. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2013 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?