Descendants of Mahlon Nicholas Hibbs
And Elizabeth Hurst Hibbs
This picture is of Elizabeth Hurst Hibbs, it was taken we believe shortly before her death in 1897, the picture was notated on the back to Willam. A. Horn from Elizabeth Hibbs
Generation No. 1
1. MAHLON NICHOLAS2 HIBBS (MAHLON1) was born 1800 in ?, and died Abt. 1850 in Ottumwa, Co, Iowa. He married ELIZABETH HURST January 06, 1825 in Putnam Co, Indiana, daughter of JESSE HURST and NANCY MCCARTY.
Notes for ELIZABETH HURST:
Pasted inside the back cover is a news item entitled "Hibbsville
The story concerns the birthday of Elizabeth HIBBS on October 18, 1890,
(note> that isn't the date given in the Bible record.) and was written by
"Mrs. HIBBS was 87 years of age on that day,and a dinner and reception was
heldat the home of her son, James, in Hibbsville. Mrs. HIBBS five sons and
three daughters were in attendance at the birthday party".
More About ELIZABETH HURST:
Fact 1: Buried Felkner Cemetary, Centreville, Iowa ( Appanoose County)
Children of MAHLON HIBBS and ELIZABETH HURST are:
i. JAMES3 HIBBS, b. April 15, 1826, Terra Haute, Vigo Co. Indiana; d. August 04, 1904, Appanoose, IA; m. MARTHA E. COOLEY, November 20, 1855, Appanoose, IA.
ii. WILLIAM N. HIBBS, b. July 27, 1828, Terra Haute, Vigo Co. Indiana; d. April 05, 1912; m. SARAH JANE COOLEY, December 11, 1850, Appanoose, IA.
Notes for WILLIAM N. HIBBS:
1856 Iowa State Census Appan Co
128-143 Fletcher Troxell 23 b. Ill in Iowa 20 yrs
Wm N. Hibbs 27 married b. Ind Farmer In Iowa 7 yrs
Sarah Jane 22 " " " 10 yrs
Elisebeth 4 b. Ia " 4
Jane A(?) 2 b. Ia "
iii. PLEASANT HIBBS, b. February 03, 1831, Terra Haute, Vigo Co. Indiana; d. February 26, 1911; m. (1) MARY E. HUFFAKER, March 01, 1855, Putnam Co, Indiana; m. (2) ELIZABETH F. KING DODGE, February 07, 1875, Putnam Co, Missouri.
iv. NANCY HIBBS, b. March 09, 1833, Terra Haute, Vigo Co. Indiana; m. ZEPERIAH DUBLE, June 15, 1857, Appanoose, IA.
v. CATHERINE HIBBS, b. July 22, 1835, Terra Haute, Indiana; d. July 14, 1907, Cambridge, Nebraska; m. SOLOMON STURGESS HORN, June 03, 1855, Appanoose, IA, USA.
Notes for CATHERINE HIBBS:
Catherine b. (22-Jul-1835 near Terre Haute, Vigo, Ind)
Married 2-Jun-1855 Appanoose Co, Ia Marr Bk 1 Pg 91
to Solomon Horn
Notes for SOLOMON STURGESS HORN:
Solomon Sturgis Horn
Born May 27, 1830 in Muskingum County, Ohio
Died November 09, 1910 near Cambridge, Nebraska
vi. JESSE HIBBS, b. January 07, 1838, Terra Haute, Vigo Co. Indiana; d. July 18, 1891.
vii. RACHEL HIBBS, b. May 31, 1840, Terra Haute, Vigo Co. Indiana; d. January 06, 1926; m. THOMAS F. BARNTHOUSE.
viii. MAHLON HIBBS, b. July 09, 1844, Terra Haute, Vigo Co. Indiana; d. November 19, 1927.
References of our Hibbs family in Appanoose County, Iowa, the town of Hibbsville.
HISTORY APPANOOSE COUNTY page 468 HIBBSVILLE. (Franklin Township.) Hibbsville is situated on the northeast quarter of Section 35, Township 68. Range 19, and was surveyed for James and Pleasant Hibbs, September 15, 1862. A glance at the map will show that the plat lies near the northeast corner of the township. The laying-off of the plat induced quite a number of families to settle here at an early day. A post office was established in 1853 which yet remains. A schoolhouse was built in 1854. This was a frame structure, and probably the very first of the kind in the county. James Hibbs, the proprietor of the plat, started a store in 1851, and in 1853 started a saw*mill. In 1855, the facilities of the town for doing business were further increased by the building of a fiouring-mill, in connection with which a carding machine was started. In 1857, the town had a hotel, three general stores, a drug-store, a blacksmith-forge and a shoe-shop. all doing a good business. page 469 The mutations of po pulation affected the little town unfavorably, and when the Chicago & Southwestern Road was built across the county, leaving Hibbsville two miles on one side, the people migrated in various directions, and most of the buildings were removed at the same time. So it goes-the engineer's transit makes unavailing the plans laid by the pioneers for the location of towns. Had not Numa been established, it is probable that the business of Hibbsville would have long remained. There is one store in the place, owned by James Hibbs. THE TOWNSHIP. It is stated that the pioneer settler of Franklin was Joseph Jump, a wellknown character among the first inhabitants, who made a claim in 1848. He had, however, been in the county two or three years prior to that time. Those who came next were James Hibbs, Mr. Barney and Mr. Parker, in 1853. The post office at Livingston was established in 1858, with E. O. Smith as Postmaster. A Baptist society was formed in the vicinity of Livingston in 1855, the organizing members being Be njamin Barney and wife, L. G. Parker and wife, A. E. Stevens and wife, Levi Wafford and wife, the first meeting being held at Mr. Parker's house. The first preacher was Elder Blackburn, whose successors have been Elders John Osborn, Bolster, Benton, Burkholder, Turton, Parker and Archer. The society now meets at the Livingston Schoolhouse, but intend to build in 1879, as it now owns two acres of ground for church and cemetery purposes, the donation of E. O. Smith, Esq. The Deacons of the church now are Allen Pettitt, R. B. Williamson and William Condra; Samuel N. Bell, Clerk. There are about sixty members. A Union Sabbath School is maintained here. H. L. Halladay is Superintendent; E. O. Smith, Assistant; (Charles Landers, Secretary; James Murphy, Librarian. The teachers are E. O. Smith, Mrs. Nancy J. Parker, Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Hallady, R. B. Wilkinson, and Mrs. Helen Wood. The average attendance is thirty-nine. The earliest marriage remembered was that of Benjamin Joiner to a niece of Absalom Foster, probably about 1854. A steam saw-mill was set in operation by E. O. Smith in 1858, followed soon after by a flouring-mill. During the war, a "contraband" named John Jones, found employment about the premises of Mr. Parker, who was absent in the service. John was a quiet, steady-going fellow, and, not long after he became an inmate of the Parker family, joined the church. John's residence in Franklin was regarded as highly reprehensible by several citizens, most of whom lived about Hibbsville, and who had posted notices, intimating that the negro must leave. One night, Mrs. Parker was awakened by a loud crash, but believing, that a pantry-shelf had fallen, and being very tired, did not get up to ascertain the cause. In the morning, she found that a window had been broken and the weather-boarding near it bruised by a volley of stones thrown by the heroic enemies of Jones. The next morning, a denizen of Hibbsville went over to tell Mrs. Parker that a meeting had been held at that place the previous evening, in which a re solution was passed that John must leave the neighborhood. While he was talking, a mounted party appeared, riding toward the Parker house. They were seen by Mr. E. O. Smith, who, fearing that mischief was meant, ran over and confronted the men as they dismounted at the gate. The party turned out to be a detachment of the State-line patrol, formed of citizens along both sides of the boundary for mutual protection. These men had heard of the outrage, and had assembled to investigate it. They were invited into the house, where the Hibbsville man sat, looking badly frightened and apparently anxious to cut his visit short. The patrol and Mr. Smith pressed him into giving an account of the meeting the night before, minute enough to satisfy a metropolitan daily. He was given some very pointed and wholesome advice, and allowed to go. When last seen, he was traveling in the direction of Hibbsville at a gait that would have been a credit to the "seven-league boots." This accidental but seasonable show of force prevente d any further trouble about John. A school district was organized around Livingston April 9, 1859, and the first teacher was Mr. Goodenough. A building owned by E. O. Smith was used as a schoolroom till 1865, when a house was built. The district now includes about twenty families. A store was started in 1865 by Thomas Frost. The present store-keeper is William Bales. The Methodist Episcopal Church in this township holds its meetings at the Wilson Schoolhouse, and a Union Sabbath School is conducted at the same place. There is a society of Dunkards in this township. Meetings are held at the Valley schoolhouse. Elder William Stickler has been Pastor for several years. The Church of God, or " Weinbermarians," a society having a general resemblance to the Dunkards, have meetings both at the Wilson and Valley Schoolhouses. Elder Richardson, their Pastor for some time past, has just given way to Elder Mullen. Franklin, somewhat contrary to the rule in this part of Iowa, is settled by New York people. Page 532 HIBBS , JAMES,, dealer in dry goods and general merchandise, Hibbsville, residence same; born in Putnam Co., Ind., in 1826; in 1847, removed to Jefferson Co., Iowa, and there engaged in the farming line and breaking prairie for one year, and went to Wapello Co., engaged in farming until during 1849, when he came to Appanoose Co. and entered land in what was then Shoal Creek Township; helped to make the returns of the first election from that township; the year following, returned to his farm and occupied it until 1851, when he built a store, stocked it with goods, and entered into his present business, being the first in that township. He platted and laid out a town, calling it Hibbsville, which in 1857, consisted of three general stores, a drug store, a hotel, a blacksmith shop a shoe shop, a grist and saw mill, carding machine and post office, all doing a good business. Now, Mr. Hibbs is the only one there, not even a blacksmith shop remaining. A schoolhouse was built in his village as early as 1854, in which the first term of school was taught by Miss C. Stanton, now a resident of Centerville. In l853, he sold out his business interest and commenced the erection of the first mill in the township; completed the sawmill that fall, and in 1855 put in the flouring department; he also attached a carding apparatus. This business he retained until 1858, then disposed of his milling interest and for four years kept the hotel in Hibbsville; during the year 1862 he again entered merchandising, hauling his goods from Ottumwa with a blind mule, where he has since continued, having been in the business for sixteen years without intermission. In 1853, he succeeded is establishing a post office at Hibbsville, which he has himself held for twenty years, through all administrations and through the rebellion. In 1873, Mr. Hibbs instigated a movement and succeeded in organizing the first Grange of the county. In 1855, he married Miss Martha Cooly; she was born in Indiana in 1840; her father, Edward C., came to Iowa in 1848, first sett led in Washington County and engaged in farming; he afterward removed to Keokuk, and there engaged in milling; then to this county, where he erected the first carding machine of the county west of Centerville. He died in 1853; her mother died in 1862; her father had been a member of the M. E. Church since 16 years of age, and his mother since she was 19 years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Hibbs have six children -- Mahlon E., James W., Martha E., George B, Nancy J., Samuel D. Greenbacker. Owns his business, consisting of a store heavily stocked with goods, and 380 acres of land, valued at $25 per acre. Hibbs, Jesse, Sec. 19. Hibbs, Mahlon, far., S. I9; P. O. Hibbsville. Hibbs, Pleasant, far., S. 33; P. O. Livingston.
Published by Pam Meyer
Meyer Family Homepage