The First Presbyterian Church of Atlantic was organized in November, 1874, with about forty members. Most of its early members had withdrawn from the Adamsville United Presbyterian Church in consequence of the opposition of the latter to the grange and other secret orders. The first Ruling Elders elected were: James Hamilton, George K. Miller, John N. Kerr and S. M. Kerr. Rev. Isaac W. McVitty supplied the church a year, then Rev. D. R. Kerr, a licentiate, until April, 1876, when he accepted a call as pastor. He resigned in December, 1878. |
Source: History of Crawford County, Pennsylvania (Chicago, 1885).
Among the earliest settlers in the western and central parts of Greenwood were James Abbott, Abraham Martin and John McMichael, who paid tax on chattel property in 1798; and Samuel and Joseph Anderson, Abraham Abbott, Robert Adams, Hamilton Armour, Graviner Bailey, Alexander Clark, John Cook, Arthur Dillon, Robert Hood, John Harkins, Moses Logan, Thomas McMichael, Robert Power, Samuel Power, Uriah Peterson, Francis Porter, Thomas Ross, John Sutton, Cornelius Smock and William and Asher Williams; all of whom had settled prior to 1804.