Ferdinand J. CrequeFerdinand Creque was born October 1808, in France and died 22 February 1873 (probably in Portage County, Ohio, where he is buried). He was married to Anna Eva Kendal, who was born 17 July 1817 in Alsace, France and died 29 April 1897 (probably in Portage County, Ohio, where she is buried). In 1850, the family lived in Baltimore, Maryland but by 1860 had immigrated to Suffield Twp., Portage Co., Ohio, where Ferdinand was a shoemaker. By 1870, it appears that Ferdinand and his son, Ferdinand, were grocers.
Ferdinand and Anna Eva had the following children:
- Frances Creque
- Birth: 1837/38 in , , Maryland, USA
- Catherine Creque
- Birth: 1839/40 in , , Maryland, USA
- Ferdinand J. Creque
- Birth: 29 Jul 1841 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Marriage 1: 16 Sep 1907 to Almeda H. Martin
- Marriage 2: to Veronica Sephronia Rhodes
- Death: 11 May 1931 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
Ferdinand J. fought in the Civil War as a private with the 7th Ohio Infantry, Co. A (a.k.a., Cleveland Zouave Light Guards). He signed up for a three-year tour of duty 24 May, 1861 and was wounded in the foot 9 August, 1862, during the Battle of Cedar Mt., Virginia. He was discharged 13 November, 1862, on a surgeon's certificate of disability.1 He filed application #7700 for pension on 9 January, 1863, under surgeon's certificate #10679.2 In 1883 he was still on the pension rolls, living in Akron, Ohio, and being compensated $6.00 per month for his injury.3
He is supposed to have had an adoptive daughter, Mrs. Josephine Rowland, who may have been Josephine Rhoads, as enumerated in the 1870 Portage Co. census as a six-year-old in Ferdinand and Almeda's household.
- Andrew Creque
- Birth: 1843/44 in , , Maryland, USA
- Helena Creque
- Birth: 1846/47 in , , Maryland, USA
- Michael Creque
- Birth: 1851/52 in , , Maryland, USA
- Death: 30 Aug 1873
- Lena Creque
- Birth: 1853/54 in , , Ohio, USA
- Anthony Creque
- Birth: Jan 1853 in , , Ohio, USA
- Death: 21 Oct 1873
- Josephine Creque
- Birth: 1856/57 in , , Ohio, USA
- Mary Creque
- Birth: 1860/61 in , , Ohio, USA
There is circumstantial evidence which suggests that Ferdinand Creque and his family may be related to Johannes Criqui/Griggy and his descendants (some of whom used the "Creque" spelling of the surname). The similarity of the names and the vicinity in which they lived (Suffield Township) is suggestive of this. I have also found a couple census enumerations of families in Johannes' line which show one child born in Maryland, where all the others were born in Ohio. My thought is that these may have been cousins, but I have found no further evidence connecting Johannes and his line to Maryland.
- Hardman, Larry. "Brief Biography - Co. A." Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry. 15 Dec. 2001. http://members.tripod.com/Larry_Hardman/BiogA.htm (28 Apr. 2004).
- National Archives and Records Administration. Civil War Pension Index. [database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000. Data indexed and imaged from National Archives and Records Administration. General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934. T288, 544 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration.
- Summit County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society. "List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883 in Summit County." 2002. http://spot.acorn.net/gen/civwar.html (28 Apr. 2004).
If you have information about Ferdinand and Anna Creque or their family, please and tell me about it.
Return to Mike Schwitzgebel's Genealogy home page