"Casino Hall" was a structure across from "the New Church" which was used as a meeting place for parish organizations as well as a "social hall", for plays, dinners, etc. The structure was dedicated in 1874, and demolished in 1964. Found in the cornerstone was a bottle containing what was called "a parchment", written in Latin, and four sets of names of students of the parish school.
"The parchment" read as follows:
"In the year of Our Lord 1874, on the 13th day of September, the 16th Sunday after Pentecost, the Feast of the Most Holy Name of Mary, in the 29th year of the glorious reign of Pius IX, in the episcopate of John Joseph Williams, Bishop of Boston, Reverend Father Jacob Simeon, S.J., being pastor of the German Catholic Parish of the Most Holy Trinity, and Ulysses Grant, President of the United States of America, Reverend Father Joseph Wissel, C.SS.R, solemnly blessed and laid the cornerstone of this building in the manner prescribed by Catholic usage, before an enthusiastic multitude gathered to celebrate the occasion."
|Anton BENZ||Heinrich HOLTHAUS||Peter POST|
|Martin BURKHARD||Thomas JAGER||Kilian RAISER|
|Adam EICHORN||Philip KRIM||Joseph REISERT|
|Karl GOLLINGER||Wilhelm KRUEGER||Bernard ROCOELMAN|
|Cr. M. GRIMLING||Wilhelm KULLE||J. Anton STOCKER|
|Valentine GRIMM||Ludwig LOHMANN||Johann ULRICH|
|Johann HARTMAN||Cr. C. MENKE||Wendelin WAGNER|
|Andreas HESS||Thomas PATZOLD||Gerhard WERMERS|
SOURCE: Nopper, Rev. Franz Xaver, S.J., "Concerning the History of the Catholic German Holy Trinity Parish in Boston, Mass"; Boston: 1886 (translated into English by Martha C. Engler, 1992)
This page was uploaded 4 April 1999.
copyright © 1999 - Margaret V Reid