Search billions of records on

Descendants of William CHANDLER



This is such a well written document and because I am a gatherer of facts and not a writter and it is a hand typed document I decided I would be very remiss not to include it in most of it's entirety.
The Confiscation of John Chandler's Estate by Andrew McFarland Davis Chapter ii:
John Chandler, Loyalist (cont'd)
His son John, the forth of that name, was the refugee. He was born February 26, 1720-21. To quote again from the paper of Hon. Horace Davis, "He was Selectman, Town Treasurer, Town Clerk, County Treasurer, Sheriff, Judge of Probate, and Representive to the General Court. He was also Colonel of the Worcester Regiment, and in 1757 saw active duty in that capacity.
"Up to 1774," adds Mr. Davis, "Chandler's life had been one of almost unbroken prosperity, but when the storm of rebellion against England broke out, his loyalist sentiments brought him into angry opposition to popular feeling, and he was compelled to leave home and family and retire to Boston When Boston fell into the hands of the Continental Army, he fled to Halifax and thence to London, where he spent the rest of his life, twenty-four year~ This experience gave him in Worcester the nick-name of 'Tory John', while in England he was called the 'Honest Refugee', because of the modesty of hi~ claims against the British Government for losses sustained by reason of his loyalty". In addition to the offices above enumerated, Colonel Chandler was for many years a member of His Majesty's Council, and held at the time of the outbreak a commission in the Court of General Sessions of the Peace.
In the fall of 1774, when the bitterness of feeling engendered by the political contest then going on between the tories and those who subsequently
were denominated the "patriots" became so strong that discussion was abandoned and threats against, and sometimes personal violence upon, the weaker party were substituted, John Chandler was living in comfort in his spacious homestead in Worcester. Up to that time his life had been not only uniformly prosperous, but entirely free from serious trouble. From his father he must have inherited considerable property. The various offices which he held furnished revenue, and in addition, he was interested in a store, the profits of which increased his income. He owned several farms in the immediate vicinity of Worcester, all of which, under the circumstamc of life existing in Worcester County, were easily to be rented. One of these farms he retained for his own use, and from it he could readily supply his household with a large part of the food necessary in an establishment conducted upon so generous a scale. His daughter says in the letter communicated to the American Antiquarian Society that he distributed his bounties among those of his fellow citizens who needed help, including, indeed, among the beneficiaries some of those who afterwards joinedin making life in Worcester impossible for him. There can be but little doubt making life in Worcester impossible for him. There can be but little doubt that if he had died before the crisis came, he would have left behind him the reputation of an honored citizen who was well beloved by his friends and neighbors.
From the letter referred to above, we learn that there were about fifteen beds to be made up each day in the Chandler household. In a.petition presented by Chandler to the Lords Commissioners of the Treasury, the statement is made that the petitioner left behind him sixteen children. The oldest of the sixteen children was then a man upwards of thirty years of age, and while it is clear that most of the children were then living at the old home, it is not probable that all of them were. Be that as it may, the household was evidently a large one, and though it is quite certain that in a New England country home the younger members of the household would have been called upon to assist in taking care of the house, still so large a family required servants. The actual staff is stated in the letter to have been a good cook , a second woman for chamber work, a girl to tend the youngest child, and a black girl trained to table service and household work. The house was liberally furnished, as is evident from the inventory made at the time of the appraisal of the personal personal prope even though the plate, the linen, and the library, previously concealed, do not appear in it. These things were undoubtedly sent to Boston. Sabine, says in his Loyalists that Colonel Chandler derived his means of support while in Boston from the sale of the silver.) Mrs. Chandler had lawns and laces, and a special woman to care for them and for the linen.
These facts, gathered from the letter, furnish us with an idea of the character of the home to which the father of the family was accustomed to come each day to his midday meal, and to which he returned every afternoon at the close of his labors. We can also from the same source obtain a glimpse of the household life, and can see the colonel, as he was generally styled, seated by the fireside smoking his pipe and caressing his little daughter. His daily after-dinner glass of wine recalls the customs of the times, and hints at the possibility of more copious indulgence when the hospitable dinner-table was surrounded by guests. From various sources we have evidence of the affectionate and confiding nature of the ties which bound the family together, and of the tender relations which existed between the refugee himself and his wife.
Such was the home which fidelity to political principles compelled Chandler to abandon, and such were the happy circumstances of life from which he was obliged to tear himself, unless he would give adhesion to the ideas promulgated by a party with which he had no sympathy. It was natural that he should be a loyalist. It was inevitable that, as the time the actual outbreak approached and party lines were drawn tighter and tighter, the patriots should entertain towards him some of the feelings of abhorrence with which tories were then regarded. The decline of his popularity with his fellow citizens could not, under these circumstances, have been avoided. In his case, however, matters were brought to a crixis by two acts committq by him, which aroused the indegnation of his fellow townsmen of the revolutionary party, and in the end brought humilation upon him and upon all who were associated with him in the commission of these acts. The first of these was the signing of an address to Governor Gage; the second, the signing of the famous protest by the Worcester tories, the proceedings of their fellow citizens of the patriot party espesially against the acts of the Worcester committee of correspondence.
There was no reason for them to suspect the important results which would follow from his joining in the address to Gage, but the signing of the protest carried with it inevitably the consequence that it would irritate and annoy a preponderant majority of his fellow townsmen, already greatly excited and in a turbulent mood. Lincoln characterizes this Protest as "one of the boldest and most indignant remonstrances of the friends of royal government among the productions of the times."
Clark Chandler, a son of Colonel Chandler, the town clerk, who enrolled it, upon the records, was compelled publicly to expunge it, and was publicly admonished for recording it. Not content with this, the revolutionary part brought the matter before "The Committees of Correspondence and delegates of the several towns met in Convention," and it was "Voted: That three persons be chosen a committee to acquaint John Chandler, Esq. and the other protesters, that they must follow after the judges through the ranges (ranks) of the body of the people; and that they go immediately after the judges and read their recantations."
Lincoln describes the enforcement of this extraordinary punishment in the following words: "The signers of the protest had been informed by the committee of correspondence that apology for their opposition would be required from them. Forty-three of them had met the evening previous (August 21, 1774) to this visitation at the Kings Arms Tavern, and having subscribed an acknowledgment of error and repentance and recieved an instrument purporting to restore them to favor, and insuring protection they had mixed in the crowd, unsuspicious of any insult. Those who appear were collected by the revolutionary magistrates, and on the arrival of Mr.Paine, were escorted through the ranks, halting at every rew paces to liste2 to the reading of their several confessions of political transgression. Having thus passed in review and suffered some wanton outrage of feeling, in addition to the humiliation of the procession, they were dismissed."
The same convention which had decreed this degrading ceremonial as a punishment for the expression, in dignified phrase, of a sit of political opinions, also voted, on the following day, to accept the acknowledgment made by six citizens, of whom John Chandler was one, "for aspersing the people of this county, in a late address to Governor Gage." They also voted: "That the Justices who address Governor Gage at the last session of the Court be brought before the convention and make and sign a declaration in writing, of the inadvertence of their proceedings." The record then goes on, "Which is done, and the declaration is as follows:- "Whereas the Committee in Convention have expressed their uneasiness to a number of the justices of the common pleas and general sessions, now present in the Convention, who, in an address to Governor Gage, at their session in June last, aspersed the people of this County: these justices, in the presence of the Convention frankly declare, that they precipitately entered into measure: they are sorry for it; and they disclaim any intention to injure the character of any; and were the same measure again Proposed, they would reject it.
John Chandler was, under compulsion, one of the signees of this document
"Most of the protesters had been induced to make a submission. Some who refused were waylaid and cruelly beaten. A few remained obstinate and finally retired into exile. Others, unable to separate themselves from their friends and country and to sacrifice all they held dear, were persecu into compliance withe the public will, and at length purchased safety for person and property by soliciting forgiveness in terms more humiliating in proportion to the time it was deferred."
The condition of affairs portrayed in the events which have just been described brought vividly before Chandler the impossibility of his remaining with safety longer in Worcester. His daughteer puts it that he was not willing to live in altercation with those around him, but this is hardly strong enough to cover the situation. An officeholder and the son of an officeholder, who had been bred with thebelief that loyalty was a duty, he could not permanently sacrifice his ppinions, even though, to escape violence at the hands of a mob, he had purchased temporary safety by signing a recantation. He, therefore, in the fall of 1774., sought protection in Boston, where he remained upwards of sixteen months. While there he was enrolled in a company of loyalists, and cheerfully did military duty in defence of the town. When Boston was evacuated, he accompanied the British troops to Halifax. In July, 1776, he went to England, and from that time down to November, l776, he remained uninterruptedly in London. During this interval the possibility of his ever being permitted to return to his family was removed, by the passage in October, 1778, of the "Act to prevent the return to this state of certain persons therein named," etc. John Chandler and Rufus Chandler, his son, were therein named. If they should return in spite of the act, sheriffs, committees of correspondence, grand jurors, constables, tithingmen, and other inhabitants of the town to which they might come were empowered and directed to apprehend them and take them before a justice of the peace, who in turn was directed to put them in jail until they could be deported. If they should venture to return a second time, the penalty was death.
Colonel Chandler was accompanied in his exile by his son, Rufus. In 178 he wrote to his daughter, Lucretia, "Your brother Rufus lives in my neighborhood. We dine together every day. It is acomfort to me." This letter is full of tender grief for his lost wife, whose death had taken place about six months before, and of gratitude to his sons for their care of his daughters. It closes with a paragraph which will bear the interpretation that, not withstanding the "Act to prevent the return," etc., he still had a faint hope that he might be permitted some day to rejoin his family. "I long," he says, "for the happy day when I may see all my dear children, but whether I am to be so happy, time must determine. Pray God bless, keep, and preserve you. My love to all my near and dear connections."
On the 25th of July, 1786, he received permission from the commissioners for inquiring into losses by American loyalists to receive for a period of twelve month his allowance for temporary support, during absence from Great Britain. Fortified with this assurance that his only means of livelihood would not be jeopardized by the step, he went to Nova Scotia, where he arrived in No.~,ember, 1786. The permit to receive the allowance while absent from Great Britain was for twelv~zmonths only. In May, 1787, being then in Halifax, he petitioned for an extension of the permit for another twelve months. In this petition he states, "That being an old man aged more than sixty-six years, he did not leave England with any intentior of doing business, and wishes to remain in Nova Scotia only for the purpose of being with his children, having two sons in that province and a daughter married to a Mr. Putnam of New Brunswick."
His son Rufus accompanied him on this transatlantic trip. The dependent condition of the father and son being distasteful to them, they went to Halifax, expecting that Rufus would be able to open a lawyer' s office and earn a living. By this time (May, 1787) they had made up their minds that this was impracticable, and were about to start for Annapolis to see what chance there was in that place.
A letter from Colonel Chandler dated Annapolis Royal, August 30, 1788, a copy of which is given hereafter among the London transcripts, shows that if they went to Annapolis when they expected to, they stayed there upwards of fifteen months. Shortly after this they must have returned to London, as the extension of the permit to receive the allowance during absence from Great Britain, which was granted upon petition, was limited to the 10th of October, 1788.
Colonel, or as he was sometimes called Judge, Chandler died in London, September 26, 1800, and was buried at Islington. His death called forth the following obituary in the "Gentleman's Magazine" for October, 1800:
"In Edgeware Road, John Chandler, Esq., an American loyalist, who from his attachment to the good order and peace of society, and affection to the British Constitution, left his country, a numerous family, and affluent estate, and took refuge in Great Britain. Fully convinced of the truth and propiety of an observation of an ancient writer: 'Fear thou the Lord and the King, and meddle not with them that are given to change,' he exemplified it by a pious and loyal, a peaceful and inoffensive conduct; and died, at eighty, an honest man, a good member of society, and a pious Christian."
Peter Whitney, when he published his "History of the County of Worcester" in 1793, was too close to the Revolution to say anything in favor of Tory John, who was still alive, but he thus speaks of the family: -"The Town of Worcester in particular and the County of Worcester at largE were originally greatly indebted to the Hon. John Chandler Esq. of Woodstock, the first judge in the County, and his son, the first Col. John Chandler of Worcester, who, in Process of time succeeded his father in all his offices, titles and honors, for their address, activity and enterprise And their names ought to be held in grateful remembrance."
Just prior to the appointment in London of commissioners to investigate the claims of American loyalists, the Board of Treasury made an independent investigation. In their decision of Chandler's case they say: "This gentle-man was in a most respectable situation in life and has been spoken well of, by overt one who has spoken of him at all." This opinion was based upon the certificates to character and losses filed with the Board. They were furnished by ten well-known men, among whom were Governor Hutchinso, General Gage, Thomas Flecher, at one time secretary of the Province, Thomas Oliver, and Robert Auchmuty. The certificates of these gentlemen, whth others, may be found in the London transcripts, post.
Joseph Willard, in his address before the members of the bar in 1829, speaks of the distinguished family of the name of Chandler "who had had extensive and almost unbounded sway in the County, ab primo origine."
William Lincoln, in his "History of Worcester," says of John Chandler: "He was cheerful in temperament, engaging in manner, hospitable as a citizen friendly and kind as a neighbor, industrious and enterprising as a merchant, and successful as a man of business."
Jonathan Poole Dabney, in the "Christian Examiner," in July, l847, said: "The Hon. John Chandler of Worcester, whose sons and daughters were as numerous as these of his royal master, and with whose family every other leading family of the region was proud to entwine itself by marriage alliance sleeps far away from the town and shire of whose honors he had almost the monopoly, and the very name had there died out, as we learn from Lincoln a full generation ago."
Lorenzo Satine, in his "Loyalists," says: "The late President Dwight spoke of Colonel Chandler and his family as distinguished for talents and virtue."
The American Antiquarian Society possesses a portrait of Colonel Chandler. A steel engraving of this portrait was prepared for Dr. Chandler's family genealogy, and the same plate was used for the illustration of Hersey's reprint of Lincoln's"History of Worcester." The engraving bears the date of l761., and gives Chandler's age as fifty-three. Without stopping to analize these figures, I assumed in my paper before the American Antiquarian Society at the 0ctober meeting, 1900, that they were correct, and said that although the portrait depicted a man whose career theretofore had been absolutely free from care, whose relations with his family were shown by the repeated references in his daughter's letter to the affectionate manner in which he treated her sti1l the impression derived as to the state of mind of the subject from the con-templation of the portrait was that of sadness. To this I added, "If the picture had been painted a few years later, one could understand this, for the time came when his loyalty to the government converted this wealthy officeholder into a proscribed fugitive, whose right to tread Massachusetts soil was by special legislation denied him, while his wife, if she would avail herself of the dower rights set out from his property for her support was compe1led to remain within the limits of the United States." I have since been informed by my frother, Hon. J. C. Bancroft Davis, that the picture was painted in London. This of Course fully accounts for the sad expression which it bears. An examination of the inscription on Dr. Chandler's engraving shows that there is an error of ten years either in the date or the age. Judge Chandler was born February, 1720-21, and his fifty-forth year would have fallen in 1774, a year full of troubles and not a time for portrait painting.
We have followed the course of the exile to the end. A word remains to be said concerning the fortunes of the family. For a little over two years it would seem that they were left in Possession of the estate. Then the personal property was seized, and possession was taken of the real estate in the vicinity of Worcester by the local committee of correspondence and inspection. A portion of the household goods was assigned to the use of the family, and the remainder was sold at auction. How galling to them this was may be inferred from the comments in the letter of Mrs. Bancroft, where, speaking of her mother being present at the sale, she says: "While her fur-niture was sold in her own house, and the very chair on which she sat bid off from her purchase. She bore it well, and never put herself down by losing dignity." In the ultimate division of the property, enough real estate, including the homestead, to make up one third of the total appraised value of estate was assigned to Mrs. Chandler for use during her life, provided she remained within the United States. While this was sufficient to protect the family from want as long as she should live, their entire relations to life were changed. In place of luxury and ease, they now had to work and to economize to make both ends meet.
The death of Mrs. Chandler raised a new set of questions. All rights of the family in the real property ceased with that event. This was partially rectified by special legislation, through which the children remaining at home were put in possession of a part of the property, the details concerning which are given further on.The social prestige of the family, which is alluded to in some of the notees which have been quoted, was doubtless due in part to the wealth accumulated during successive generations of peaceful prosperity,. Stripped of that wealth, the posterity of the refugee no longer held claim for social position on that ground. Yet it cannot be said that Chandler's descendants have, for that reason, failed in their hold upon the esteem of their fellow citizens. The daughter whose letter has called forth this investigation married Aaron Bancroft, a clergyman, who became a recog-nized leader in the Unitarian denomination, and was president of the American Unitanian Association from 1825-1836. He wrote a life of Washington which has gone through several editions and has been quite recently republished.
In the next generation, George Bancroft the historian is to be found, who filled many public offices with great distinction, but whose name is better known through his literary work as the author of the "history of the United States." Two of the granddaughters of the refugee were married to men, both of whom were members of Congress and governors of Massachusetts, one being in addition a United States Senator. The male descendants of the next gener-ation furnish the names of several who achieved distinction in public life, and others who acquired renown in the army and in the navy. The fourth generation from the refugee has contributed to the public life of the country, but most of this generation are still too young to have made their mark. The fifth is represented in this world, but its history is as yet unwritten. It is indeed true that the voice of the sixth generation has been heard by a privileged few.
He had 16 children, the eldest is listed as John. In 1787 he was granted 1000 acres in Wilmot near Digby, Nova Scotia. He is listed as from Massachusetts Bay ( the Digby Township Loyalist List for Nova Scotia).
Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 Vol 1 Part1 states that John s/o John b. 26 Feb 1720/21 ; Loyalist, Boston , Mass. , to Halifax 1776. From Worsester left Bostton, Mass. to Halifax March 1776.
From The Loyalists of Massachusetts Acadia University Library:
In consequence of his loyalty to his King and attachment to the British Government, he suffered the greatest indignities and insults from the rebellious Americans, and was threatened with the deprivation of his liberty unless he would sacrifice his loyalty and renounce the Worcester Protest, which he had promoted and signed, and adopt in its stead "a very treasonable league and covenant." To save himself from a very ignominious death he fled to Boston in November, 1774, leaving a beloved wife and sixteen children to the mercy of the rebels. Four sons at the risk of their lives soon afterwards escaped to Boston, while his eldest son [John] was confined to his house, and his second son [Clark) was imprisoned in the common gaol at Worcester. He was for many years a member of His Majesty's Council for Massachusetts, Colonel of Militia, Judge of Probate and a Magistrate for the county of Worcester, and as such considered himself as under stronger obligations to use his influence for quieting the minds of his countrymen and inducing them to pay a proper submission to the laws and authority of Great Britain, than if he had been in a private station. The penalty of his loyalty was the hostility of the people. He received no support from his estate since September, 1774. (A.O. 53/73.)
John Chandler was shipwrecked and nearly lost his life on a voyage which he was obliged to take for the recovery of his health, presumably after arriving at Halifax, Nova Scotia. His income from his real and personal estate, acquired by his own honest and honourable industry, amounted to over £1,300 a year. (lb.)
In another memorial he says that he brought forward the Worcester Protest against the rebellion, and was supported by the principal people of the town of Worcester, and that to render it more effectual he and his loyal associates caused it to be entered on the town records and published in the newspapers. A mob, drawn from all the neighbouring towns, seized him, and in order to save himself from immediate death he was obliged to renounce the Protest and subscribe to "a very treasonable league and covenant." He sailed from Halifax with three sons, and arrived in England in July, 1776. These sons afterwards accompanied the army to New York, and did military duty or otherwise performed loyal services.
In a fourth memorial, dated Halifax, Nova Scotia, May I, 1787, he expresses his desire to remain there with his children, having two sons married there, and a daughter to James Putnam. One of these sons served in the Quartermaster-General's department for several years, and is so infirm as to be incapacitated from active life and is dependent upon his father for support.
With these memorials are many certificates and affidavits to John Chandler's loyalty, including one from Colonel Abijah Willard (who had known him for more than forty years as a distinguished loyalist and an eminent public man, who enrolled himself in a company of Associated Loyalists at Boston and cheerfully did military duty in defence of the town) and another from Joshua Upham, who was an eye-witness of the scene in 1774 when about 5,000 people assembled in Worcester to prevent the sitting of the Court of Common Pleas, and to sto the administration of His Majesty's Government. John Chandler and a few other loyalists were led in triumph through the mob and compelled to submit to the insolence and humiliating terms of violent and distracted men. Chandler was of one of the first families in Massachusetts and possessed of a very large landed estate.
With the Chandler papers are schedules of his real estate, with a full description, and the names of previous owners and other details; several certificates as to the sale of his confiscated property, except his mansion house and certain other property assigned by the State to his wife, Mary Chandler, for her support during her natural life; a list of the purchasers of his confiscated estate, with the prices realised and a list of creditors and his protest against some of the claims; and an inventory of his personal property.
From his claim of L11,067 13s. for his confiscated property, he received £7,225 as compensation from the British Government. (A.O. 12/109.)
This eminent loyalist died in London, September 20, 1800, and was buried in Paddington churchyard, where also his son, Rufus, was buried. His son, William, was a second lieutenant in the Loyal Associated Volunteers of Boston under Francis Green . Another son was Gardner .
His portrait is in the possession of the American Antiquarian Society,Worcester, Massachusetts.
Footnotes:(McFarland Davis, in New Eng. Hist. & Gen. Reg., April, 1903; Ex inform. Miss Elizabeth H. Chandler; John ChandLer and a few of his Descendants, by Chandler Bullock, 1922 ; The Loyalist Side of the Amer. Revolution, by Chandler Bullock, 1925.)
From Canada and the American Revolution by Wrong: pg. 373-4 " The presecution of loyalists began long before the war broke out....
when as early as in Nov 1774 John Chandler, a judge at Worcester, Mass. refused to join in the popular agitation about tea, he was under pain, as he said, "of ignominious Death", forced to leave a beloved wife and 16 children to the mercy of the Rebels," to abandon extensive property that he never recovered and to take refuge with the British Forces in Boston."
The three leading families of Worcester, Mass. were the Putnames, the Chandlers and the Paines, all tories and all interrelated.
Among the Boston Evacuees listed as leaving together are John, esquire, Rufus, lawyer, Nathaniel and William Chandler. This is the list of inhabitants of Boston who are on the evacuation list by the British in March 1776 and removed to Halifax with the army. Rufus, William, Gardner, trader and Nathaniel Chandler were included in the Banishment Act of the State of Massachusetts. Samuel and Thomas Chandler settled in Annapolis.
Nathaniel and Rufus have requested a grant from New York 22 July 1783 (Digby Township Loyalist List for Nova Scotia).
From The Loyalists of Mass. by E. Alfred Jones: "James Putnam, lawyer of Worcester, was appointed Lt. Col. in the army 24 Sep 1756 ....drew up the Worcerter Protest which was signed by William Chandler (s/o John), Clark Chandler (s/o John), John Cahndler and Rufus Chandler.
Digby Co. History: In the 1784 grant of Digby Co., to Amos Botsford et al:...William Chandler, Samuel Chandler, and Thomas Chandler.
In the 1783 grant of New Edinburgh, Digby Co.:...Nathaniel Chandler and Rufus Chandler. ( this grant to natives of Scotland then living at New York).


From The Loyalists of Massachusetts by Wallace Brown:
With some exceptions, notably Georgia, laws were harshest in states where Loyalists were most powerful, and as the war progressed, the purpose of the laws changed from conversion to "revenge and hate." 13 Similarly, enforcement varied, and was. usually severest where danger was greatest and civil war bitterest.
A prominent Southern Tory reported that in Virginia, where the Loyalists were weak and little problem, the prop-erty of those who joined the British army went to their wives and children "on the Spot... as if the Father was dead," and he noted that his own wife "had never been molested but on the contrary treated with the utmost Kindness and Re-spect."" Other Loyalists described being turned off their property with only the clothes on their backs.
But perhaps more typical was the fate of the Chandler family of Worcester, Massachusetts. Colonel John Chandler, a very prominent citizen of distinguished Massachusetts pedi-gree, dubbed "Tory John" and later in England the "Honest Refugee," fled from Boston with the British army to become a permanent, proscribed exile. For over two years his wife and family continued to enjoy their property undisturbed, until the Worcester Committee of Correspondence began a process that resulted in the confiscation of all but a third of their real and personal property, which third was reserved for Mrs. Chandler's use as long as she remained in the United States. Her husband did not return (he was forbidden to by an act of Oct 1778) and on her death special legislation was needed to secure her property for her children.

34. Rufus CHANDLER

Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 Vol 1 Part1 states that Rufus s/o John , Loyalist came to Halifax 1776.
Rufus Chandler , Attorney; s/o John; Boston, Mass., to Halifax March 1776.
From The Loyalists of Massachusetts:
son of John Chandler (q.v.), was bred to the profession of the law, and was well established in practice at Worcester, which town he was obliged to leave in September, 1774, for Boston. He was one of the signatories to the Worcester Protest. At Boston, and later at New York, he served in the Associated Loyalists. On june 2, 1783, he was appointed one of the commissioners for examining the claims of loyalists applying for passages from New York. With his memorials is a schedule of his professional income in 1773-4.
He claimed at the rate of /287 per annum for the loss of his income during the war, and was allowed L240, and a pension of /120.
Rufus Chandler sailed for Nova Scotia in October, 1786, in the hope of finding scope for his professional abilities, but that province was already overcrowded with refugee lawyers, and he eventually returned to England, where he died in London, October ii, 1824, and was buried in his father's vault in Paddington churchyard. In his will he left all his real estate to his daughter and only child, Eliza Putnam Vose, of Augusta, Maine, and portraits and sketches of himself and his wife to his kinsman, James Putnam. (Erskine, 346.) He graduated at Harvard College in 1766.
His father-in-law was James Putnam .
From The Return of the Massachusetts Loyalists by Garland:" In Rufus' absence, the committee for absentee estates disposed of Rufus Candler's furniture that approximately 40 different individuals snatched up."
From The Return of the Massachusetts Loyalists by Garland: Rufus wrote in May 1781 "It is now more than 6 months since I arrived in this country, the westher has been so Extreme Cold that we have continued froze up the whole time and are heartily tired on Nova Scotia." Rufus found that there were too many "starved lawyers", and there was no money to be made in the law.

35. Gardner CHANDLER

From The Loyalists of Massachusetts:
"His confiscated estate was sold for L569 8s. 9d., and the claims against it were L829 10s. He recanted later, and remained in Massachusetts. He was the son of John Chandler."

36. Nathaniel CHANDLER

Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 Vol 1 Part1 states Nathaniel s/o John ; Boston, Mass. to Halifax, Mar. 1776.
From The Return of the Massachusetts Loyalists by Garland: "Between 1787-1790 the Mass. Legislature granted citizenship to returned Tory Nathaniel Chandler... by 24 Mar. 1784 he obtained his licence to return to Boston."
Fom Early Marriages of New Brunswick: 1801- Apr 11. On Monday evening last by Rev. Dr. Byles, Mr. Nathaniel Chandler to Miss Elizabeth Foucht, both of St. John.Nathaniel bought a pew in 1804 in St. John Methodist Chapel.
From Digby County History:
(page 321) - NATHANIEL CHANDLER is listed among those "applying for rights above the Township of Granville, on the River of Annapolis Royal, on the road to Halifax." The author says that this document was found at the N.S. Archives, but is not dated, and that
"Calnek supposed this memorandum was written about 1777." Calnek, of course, being the author of the Annapolis County History.

37. William CHANDLER

Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 Vol 1 Part1 states William s/o John , Loyalist, to Halifax March 1776.
From the Digby County Book: (page 73) - WILLIAM CHANDLER, an unmarried man, on the Muster Roll of Civilians, at Digby, 1783
In 1784 William had a grant of 1800 acres in Digby and lost 100 acres.

38. Charles CHANDLER

Charles Chandler petitioned for his father's grist mill and four acres in Wocester , promising to rebuild the mill if the General Court gave him the property as a gift. Though 181 inhabitants of Worcester supported his request, instead the legislature sold the estate to Chandler for its full value.

39. Samuel CHANDLER

Nova Scotia Immigrants to 1867 Vol 1 Part1 states that Samuel Chandler plus one female 16+ and one male -16 ; settled 1749-1752 North Suburbs of Halifax.

45. Clark CHANDLER

There is a family file on this family at

23. Joshua CHANDLER Col.

CHANDLER.-Co1. Joshua Chandler, of New Haven, graduated at Yale College in 1747. He was a prosperous barrister in New Haven and was a member of the Connecticut Legislature. Being loyal, he left when Gen. Tryon, was obliged to evacuate that place. His property was valued at £30,000 sterling, and was confiscated.
He was a member of the Legislature of Conn. 1775. But he was soon suspected of loyalty, and was sent to North Haven as a prisoner by the Whigs of New Haven. Later Mr. Chandler and his family went off, and so sudden was the departure that Governor Baldwin, who was then a boy, said afterward he remembered going into Mr. Chandler's house on the morning after they left, and there seeing the table spread for a large company, and the viands all untouched.
While on Long Island, 10th Feb., 1792, he with others, addressed Mr. Rivington, acting Deputy Inspector General of Refuges on the Island, and stated that 'we were driven from our respective homes, having left our property in the country, &c.'
His property in and near New Haven, Conn., which he valued at L30,000, was confiscated under the agency of Charles Chauncey, Esq., of New Haven.
Joshua Chandler settled at Annapolis, Nova Scotia, on the south Shore of the bay of Fundy. 'The landing of the Loyalists, May 18,1783,' is one of the remarkable events noticed in their registers, and that day as it returns is still celebrated by a salute of cannon firing, at noon.
CoI. Chandler (as above stated) had a large property at New Haven, which he was forced to leave. He sailed for England to see about a remuneration for his loss. Commissions were appointed to adjust the claims of the Loyalists. He returned to Annapolis, and on that fatal March of 1787, he, with his daughter Elizabeth and son William Chandler, took all their books, papers and evidence of their colonial property, and sailed across the Bay for Saint John, New Brunswick, to meet the Commissioners, to prove their titles and their losses and to get their claims allowed. But the vessel, in a violent snow storm, missing the harbor, was driven on the rocks at Musquash Point, within about nine miles of St. John. William, hoping to secure the vessel, fastened a rope around his body and jumped overboard to swim to the land, but he was immediately crushed between the vessel and rocks and was drowned. This was the 9th of March, 1787. CoI. Chandler, his daughter Elizabeth and others finally got ashore. But they were miles from any dwelling and the weather was severe. It is said that he urged his daughter to leave him and make her way to some house, but she refused to leave her father. He then climbed a high point of the rocks for a look-out, from which being so benumbed with cold, he fell and soon died. The others, his daughter and Mrs. Grant, after wandering about in the woods, perished on the 11th of March, 1787. Their bodies were found and carried to St. John, and buried in the old burying ground, at the head of King Street.... Years later their remains were carefully deposited in the lot of Amos Botsford, Esq., in the 'Rural Cemetery,' the beautiful Woodside grounds, at St. John." (From History of Sackville New Brunswick by W.C. Milner, 1934)
The British Government allowed the surviving children, Sarah, Mary, Thomas, Samuel and Charles, each £ 1,000 sterling. Sarah married William Botsford, father of the late .Judge William Botsford, and grandfather of Senator Botsford; Mary married Col. Joshua Upham, afterwards Chief Justice of New Brunswick. Thomas Chandler, M P P, a lawyer of eminence, died at Pictou.
His wife, Elizabeth Grant, was an aunt of Sam. Slick whose name was Thomas Chandler Haliburton. Samuel Chandler was also in the Legislature of Nova Scotia for many years, representing Colchester County. He married Susan Watson. His eldest son was the late Judge James W. Chandler, of Westmoreland, his son Charles H. Chandler was Sheriff of Cumberland for thirty-eight years. Among his children were Sheriff Joshua Chandler, of Amherst, and the late Lieutenant Governor E. B. Chandler, of Dorchester. The three sons of Col. Joshua Chandler in the early part of the last century, lived in the township of Cumberland for a time and conducted a general trading business. Their brother-in-law, William Botsford, was also a resident of the township at the same time. (The Chegnecto Isthmus The First Settlers of Cumberland p.263-264 )
From The Good American: "Joshua Chandler, formerly a wealthy Connecticut Gentleman was loathe to go to "the Deserts of Nova Scotia" because "not one of the Famaly are used to Labour", and he believed that he was too old to begin again."
Joshua stated in a petition for relief that he was born in Connecticut.
On his death Joshua lost 1800 acres in Digby and 300 in Clements that he had received in 1784.(from the Digby Township List for Nova Scotia).


The Poll Tax for 1791-3 in PANS show Charles and Samuel at Amherst and John at Annapolis. Thomas was probably in New Brunswick and is not listed. John later returned to his old home in Connecticutt and died in New Haven. (from Gordon Haliburton's notes)
The IGI lists two John's belonging to Joshua and Sarah Miles so perhaps one died young.

48. Elizabeth CHANDLER

Died at 27 years old with her father and brother William in the ship wreck.

51. William CHANDLER

Died unmarried. The IGI gives his birthdate as 1758.
On that fatal March of 1787, he, with his daughter Elizabeth and son William Chandler, took all their books, papers and evidence of their colonial property, and sailed across the Bay for Saint John, New Brunswick, to meet the Commissioners, to prove their titles and their losses and to get their claims allowed. But the vessel, in a violent snow storm, missing the harbor, was driven on the rocks at Musquash Point, within about nine miles of St. John. William, hoping to secure the vessel, fastened a rope around his body and jumped overboard to swim to the land, but he was immediately crushed between the vessel and rocks and was drowned. (see father's notes)