Alexander Beede, wholesale grocer, was born in Orange County, New York, August 21, 1830, son of Addison C. and Sarah (McDonald) Beede, natives of New Hampshire. His mother died when he was an infant, and his father resided in Orange County up to his death. Alexander remained in that county until he was fifteen years old, and then removed to Elmira, New York. He received a public school education in the schools of Orange county and Elmira, and subsequently served an apprenticeship at the tinsmith's trade. He worked at that business for ten years, and in October, 1856, he came to Williamsport, and continued the same. In 1862 he became general manager of the wholesale grocery house of H. L. Holden, which position he occupied six years, succeeding Mr. Holden, in the business in 1868, as a member of the firm of Beede, Corcoran & Burrows. After one year Mr. Corcoran retired, and the firm became Beede, Burrows & Company, by the admission of Thomas Polleys to a partnership. In 1880 Mr. Burrows retired from the firm and since that date the name of the firm has been Alexander Beede & Company. It is the successor of the oldest wholesale grocer house in Williamsport, and does an extensive business in this section of the State. Mr. Beede is a stanch Democrat, and has often been importuned to accept office, but has always refused. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and is prominent in the Masonic fraternity, being connected with the lodge, chapter, commandery and consistory.
From "History of Lycoming County, PA" by John F. Meginness; 1892.