Descendants of James Overstreet
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES1 OVERSTREET was born Abt. 1750 in North Carolina, and died January 16, 1782 in Orangeburg District, Barnwell County, SC. He married SARAH BOOTH Bet. 1770 - 1772 in Barnwell District, South Carolina. She was born December 10, 1756 in Virginia, and died December 24, 1818 in South Carolina.
Notes for JAMES OVERSTREET:
A Revolutionary War martyr who was murdered by Tories. Killed at the Battle of Hutson's Ferry. From DAR record of LaVerne Cave Davis member #667755 A658 he was killed by "Tories"
OVERSTREET, JAMES 1750 - 1782 BARNWELL CO, S.C. James Overstreet, a Revolutionary War martyr, and ancestor of many Wiregrass eorgians, was born in North Carolina in 1750. The family moved to Orangeburg District, now Barnwell County, S.C., before the Revolution. James was married in 1770 or 1771 to Sarah, the only child of John and Mary Booth. To them were born; 1. James b. 1771, m. Elizabeth _______, 2nd Agnes Maria 2. Henry b. 1772 m. Ann __________, Moved to GA. 3. Mary b. 1775, m. Thomas Johnson 4. Cynthia b. 1777. M. 1st Benj. Brown; 2nd James Nobles 5. Patience b. 1779, m. Bartlett Brown 6. John b. 1781, m. Catherine _______, Moved to Georgia
Children of JAMES OVERSTREET and SARAH BOOTH are:
Generation No. 2
2. PATIENCE2 OVERSTREET (JAMES1) was born Bet. 1771 - 1779. She married BARTLETT WILLIAM BROWN, JR.. He was born January 15, 1775, and died December 06, 1822.
Children of PATIENCE OVERSTREET and BARTLETT BROWN are:
3. HENRY2 OVERSTREET (JAMES1) was born Bet. 1772 - 1774 in South Carolina, and died Abt. 1844 in Screven County, Ga. He married ANN BUFORD. She was born Abt. 1793. Notes for HENRY OVERSTREET: Moved to Screven County in 1823.
Children of HENRY OVERSTREET and ANN BUFORD are:
4. JAMES2 OVERSTREET, JR. (JAMES1) was born February 11, 1773 in Barnwell County, SC, and died May 24, 1822 in China Grove, NC. He married (1) ELIZABETH ELIZA BOWEN. She was born April 13, 1773 in Burke County, Ga, and died September 06, 1817. He married (2) AGNES MARIA MOORE May 07, 1822 in Barnwell District, South Carolina. She died Aft. 1836. Notes for JAMES OVERSTREET, JR.: Planter and lawyer in Barnwell District, SC. Elected to Congress in 1819 and 1821. His brother in law, Bartlett Brown, Jr. (husband of sister Patience) was the son of his first wife's step grandfather Bartlett Brown, Sr. from vertical file at GA Archives--a page with a note on the bottom that it was filed in Dept. of Archives and History in Montgomery, AL
SEE: Alabama Republican Huntsville, Alabama Madison Co. Friday June 21, 1822 Book no. 2508 VI.P.3--col 2
DIED--On the night of the 24th ultimo, Col. James Overstreet, of Barnwell District, S.C. after a short but painful illness. He was returning from Washington City with his lady, (whom he had recently married,) to his seat in South Carolina, after having discharged his duty as one of the representatives of the people of that state during the first session of the seventeenth Congress, enjoying in anticipation the treasures of home, and the society of intimate friends and relatives. On the Saturday morning previous, he reached Salisburg; after eating breakfast, he resumed his journey; but ere he had travelled ten miles, he became seriously ill. Having reached Mr. Partee's, ten miles from Salisbury, on the road leading to Charlotte, he was unable to proceed farther; and then death, that inexorable monster, terminated his mortal career.___Carolinium
Notes for ELIZABETH ELIZA BOWEN: Granddaughter of the widow Katerine Holcomb who married Bartlett Brown, Sr.
Children of JAMES OVERSTREET and ELIZABETH BOWEN are:
5. SAMUEL2 OVERSTREET, SR. (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1776 in Barnwell, South Caroina, and died 1813. He married CYNTHIA CAUSEY March 01, 1812 in Barnwell, South Carolina. She was born August 01, 1789 in Santo Domingo, and died April 23, 1854.
Notes for CYNTHIA CAUSEY: Barnwell County Records spell this name "de Coursey"
Children of SAMUEL OVERSTREET and CYNTHIA CAUSEY are:
6. JOHN2 OVERSTREET (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1781 in Barnwell County, SC. He married CATHERINE. Notes for JOHN OVERSTREET: Wife was probably named Catherine.
Children of JOHN OVERSTREET and CATHERINE are:
Generation No. 3
7. BARNETT H.3 BROWN (PATIENCE2 OVERSTREET, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1805. He married ELIZA C.W. DUNCAN.
Child of BARNETT BROWN and ELIZA DUNCAN is:
8. JOHN B.3 OVERSTREET (HENRY2, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1828, and died Bef. 1879 in Screven County, Ga. He married JOSEPHINE R. ROBERTS December 04, 1867 in Screven County, Ga. She was born Abt. 1830.
Children of JOHN OVERSTREET and JOSEPHINE ROBERTS are:
9. MARY3 OVERSTREET (JAMES2, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1790. She married (1) JOHN J. FLOGER. He was born August 1834 in Barnwell County, SC. She married (2) JOHN A. OWENS Bef. 1828 in South Carolina. He was born Abt. 1795, and died 1835.
Children of MARY OVERSTREET and JOHN OWENS are:
10. ELIZA C.3 OVERSTREET (JAMES2, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1797. She married JAMES G. OWENS. He was born Abt. 1790. Notes for ELIZA C. OVERSTREET: Discrepancy in materials regarding DOB. Possibly 8/13/1810 (per Barnwell County Records") Notes for JAMES G. OWENS: Brother of John Owens who married Mary Overstreet
Children of ELIZA OVERSTREET and JAMES OWENS are:
11. WILLIAM3 OVERSTREET (JAMES2, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1801, and died Bef. 1829. He married CAROLINE E. COPE May 01, 1822. Notes for WILLIAM OVERSTREET: Discrepancy in materials regarding William. No mention in the "Barnwell County Records" of James Overstreet. Unclear origin.
Children of WILLIAM OVERSTREET and CAROLINE COPE are:
12. SAMUEL3 OVERSTREET, JR. (SAMUEL2, JAMES1) was born March 01, 1813 in Barnwell District, South Carolina, and died July 23, 1888 in Screven County, Ga. He married (1) JANE REID 1835 in unknown. He married (2) MARGARET KINCHLEY December 23, 1840 in Barnwell District, South Carolina. She was born 1821 in Savannah, GA, and died 1854 in Sylvania, Screven County, GA. He married (3) ALMEDIA FUQUA BROWN January 01, 1854 in Screven County, Ga. She was born 1834 in Virginia, and died 1860. Notes for SAMUEL OVERSTREET, JR.: In 1852, moved from SC into GA
Children of SAMUEL OVERSTREET and MARGARET KINCHLEY are:
Children of SAMUEL OVERSTREET and ALMEDIA BROWN are:
Generation No. 4
13. EMMA4 OWENS (ELIZA C.3 OVERSTREET, JAMES2, JAMES1) She married MINOR.
Child of EMMA OWENS and MINOR is:
14. CASSIE4 OWENS (ELIZA C.3 OVERSTREET, JAMES2, JAMES1) She married H.W. GOOLSBY.
Child of CASSIE OWENS and H.W. GOOLSBY is:
15. HERMAN4 OWENS (ELIZA C.3 OVERSTREET, JAMES2, JAMES1)
Children of HERMAN OWENS are:
16. JOHN CLIFFORD4 OVERSTREET (SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, JAMES1) was born December 23, 1840 in South Carolina, and died June 23, 1922 in Sylvania, Screven County, GA. He married CORNELIA WHETSTONE November 06, 1862 in Sylvania, Screven County, GA. She was born January 07, 1843 in Orangeburg District, South Carolina, and died January 11, 1916 in Sylvania, Screven County, GA.
Notes for JOHN CLIFFORD OVERSTREET: Member, Screven County 25th Regiment., Georgia Infantry, Company B, Black Creek Volunteers, CSA
Children of JOHN OVERSTREET and CORNELIA WHETSTONE are:
17. CAUSEY4 OVERSTREET (SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, JAMES1) was born December 23, 1845 in Barnwell County, SC, and died October 13, 1898 in Sylvania, Screven County, GA. He married REBECCA DEWEES BRYAN March 25, 1866. She was born September 24, 1847 in Screven County, Ga, and died July 06, 1916 in Screven County, Ga.
Notes for CAUSEY OVERSTREET: Screven County 25th Regiment., Georgia Infantry, Company B, Black Creek Volunteers, CSA, He fought at Kennesaw Mountain and the Battle of Atlanta. Three years later (?), near Savannah, he was wounded, captured and held prisoner until the war ended.
Children of CAUSEY OVERSTREET and REBECCA BRYAN are:
18. ANNIE4 OVERSTREET (SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, JAMES1) was born May 07, 1850 in Screven County, Ga. She married WILLIAM M. JARRELL 1868 in Screven County, Ga. He was born October 1848 in Tattnall County, Ga.
Children of ANNIE OVERSTREET and WILLIAM JARRELL are:
19. LEWIS4 OVERSTREET (SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, JAMES1) was born January 17, 1852, and died 1917. He married CATHERINE PRYER.
Children of LEWIS OVERSTREET and CATHERINE PRYER are:
20. WARREN4 OVERSTREET II (SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, JAMES1) was born February 04, 1864. He married MARY BILLINGS. She was born Aft. 1867. Notes for WARREN OVERSTREET II: Apparently named for his deceased half brother. Warren was a farmer who lived in he Black Creek area next to he brother Benjamin. He moved to N. Augusta SC in the 1920's
Children of WARREN OVERSTREET and MARY BILLINGS are:
21. BENJAMIN4 OVERSTREET (SAMUEL3, SAMUEL2, JAMES1) was born October 04, 1867, and died July 01, 1943 in Middleground, Screven County, Ga.. He married LEAH BELL SHEPPARD January 31, 1897. She was born October 19, 1872, and died January 19, 1953 in Middleground, Screven County, Ga.. Notes for BENJAMIN OVERSTREET: Farmer in the Black Creek area, Known as Tin Overstreet
Children of BENJAMIN OVERSTREET and LEAH SHEPPARD are:
Would you like to assist in this project? Please stop by the How to Join site.
This information is provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research. Any commercial use is strictly prohibited.
This site was created for the Overstreet family by Thomas Parker and Laura Flebbe . The genuine support of the Overstreet discussion list made it possible. This site is maintained by Laura Flebbe. If you have additions or questions please send them to Laura.
Please stop by the credit page to view all the contributors.
This page was last updated 24 Feb 2008