At the age of 28 J.L. was in the State Militia this is based on the following:
J.L. Thorp's name was on the original handwritten muster roll, state archives, Austin, Texas as follows:
"Muster Roll, First Frontier District Lt Chs Neuhous Co, Young County, Texas June 27, 1864, Company ‘B’
Thorp, J.L. age 28"417
Exactly as to when J.L. (James Luther) came to the Shackelford-Young-Throckmorton Counties area is not known. What is known that he was in the area prior to 1861 as he and Elizabeth Francis Frans married August 1861. He was to remain in this area the rest of his life except for brief periods to visit relatives in other parts of Texas. (Marriage in Young county is public record and is buried in Throckmorton)
According to Sam Newcombe diary the following information was given. On April 25, 1865 J.L. Thorp started building a blacksmith shop at Ft. Davis. On July 6, 1865 we see that J.L. left Ft Davis to visit kinfolk in lower Texas ( this must have been those Thorps in Llano and Milam counties). He arrived back at Ft Davis on Augus 11, 1865 from visiting his kin on Colorado River.
At Ft Griffin not only did he own a blacksmith establishment but also helped his father-in-law, M. Frans, with the Butterfield stage line that ran out of the town of Ft Griffin.
James Luther "J.L." Thorp was granted 160 acres in Shackelford County by the State of Texas in 1876 and was recorded July 21, 1877, at 2 p.m.417
At Picket House at Ft Griffin (The Flat)417
James L Thorp married Elizabeth F Frans at Ft Griffin, Texas before it was actually a fort. They were married by A.D. Nance.
The settlement was known as the "Flat" and was located between the banks of the Clear Fork of the Brazos River and the Hill on which the army setup their post.
The whole area was later known as Ft Griffin. The army post of Ft Griffin was occupied by the US Army from 1867 thru 1881. All of their children were born at Ft Griffin except Byrd,who was born at Ft. Davis, TX.
James L Thorp had been granted 160 acres in the Flat where he raised sheep and established a blacksmith shop in the Flat.417